Playmates: TMNT Original Vintage Series

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Playmates: TMNT Original Vintage Series

Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:11 am

mikeysee wrote: Aren't they though? I've never been in the market for these because they're always just the original 8 or whatever, but now we're getting some more interesting stuff so I'm paying attention. The super hero pack is $50 at Walmart, so $12.50 apiece. That actually seems kind of amazingly good. Are they usually more?
I should clarify; I did get my Leo for 15.99 (Canadian). But that's the one and only time I've ever seen the repros locally. On Amazon(.ca) they fluctuate between 22-40 dollars.
Stuff like the superhero set don't seem to come here at all, and aren't available on the Canadian Walmart site. So when you factor in exchange rate and shipping, they end up being in the neighborhood of 20-23 dollars each, or more, and I think that's too much for these figures. Especially when (the other part of my concern) they seem to be pretty spotty in how well they reproduce the original.
Like that absolutely hideous 'movie Splinter.'

The Sports figures went to Target, which we don't have in Canada, so same problem. That set is on Amazon(.ca) right now for 123 dollars. I can't remember what the other sets were going for, but I think I mostly skipped them because I few key figures did not look right and the prices were high. Some people might call that being too picky, but I mean, when you're doing a repro of a 6-7POA figure from the early '90s with barely any paint detail ... how is it picky to say 'okay, so make it look just like the original?' Guess that's up for debate. I'm fine with being picky.

The pricing issue for me, then, is very largely a distribution issue. Reliably get these into Canadian stores. But also.. I definitely want them to be as close to the originals as possible - not demonstrably uglier, worse versions of something from 30 years ago. If you can't make a toy as good as you did 30 years ago, why do you even exist anymore as a company?
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:01 pm

I WISH they really suped up the paints on these. The vintage sculpts were divine. So intricate and gross. If they could paint them to really bring out all of that clever sculpting, that would be insane.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:25 pm

NORM wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:01 pm
I WISH they really suped up the paints on these. The vintage sculpts were divine. So intricate and gross. If they could paint them to really bring out all of that clever sculpting, that would be insane.
Super agree.
Tmntfanatic4life
Customized

Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:05 pm

So I was browsing Amazon and came across this

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Classic Cohort Collection 4-Pack https://a.co/d/fU5AT6q

I placed a order, hopefully it goes through!
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:34 am

Thanks for that link. I ordered also.
Psychography
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:36 am

They removed Mutagen Man's gun and little floaty pieces. They may have also gotten rid of his yellow tank.
mikeysee
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:03 pm

Dang, that's an amazing 4-pack. Strange about Mutagen Man's gun though. I guess just grab a vintage one for a couple bucks if you're an opener.

They've yet to get to anything I don't already have but the minute they do a Universal 4-pack for $50 I'm jumping in. Those and another Toon pack with Burne and Vernon would get me. The vintage figures are just too expensive now.
mikeysee
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:05 pm

Whoops, double post.
Detrimental_Fig
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:24 pm

Psychography wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:36 am
They removed Mutagen Man's gun and little floaty pieces. They may have also gotten rid of his yellow tank.
Good catch, that's a weird thing to remove. The floaty bits I guess could be a safety thing...but that's still ridiculous.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:41 pm

I never had Wingnut/Screwloose or Mutagen Man growing up, so I jumped on this right away. Makes me want to backtrack on the module set with Baxter, Slash and Krang, but I have TRU versions of R&B already, so the original price for the full set was already not worth it. Now the set is double what it originally cost. I have all three of those original figures, but they are in varying states of decay and incomplete. I like having the fresh figures, even if the paints and accessories are severely skimped. $50 for this new 4pk seemed a pretty good value since I don't have half of them, and can always use an extra Foot Soldier.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:02 am

Just received the villain set.

Foot Soldier was one of my favs as a kid, because despite the limits of his articulation, he could hit some cool poses. I always liked him kinda on all fours, knuckles on the ground like a simian. His weapons sprue is FOLDED into the plastic tray. So even if you wanted to keep it attached, there are stress marks at the joins. So wack.

Leatherhead is exactly as I remember him from the childhood collection. Comes with the shotgun and bear trap, and he's still pequeno.

Mutagen Man is new to me. Though it's absolutely ridiculous that all he comes with is a hose. It attaches to the cap on top of his dome, but he doesn't come with the yellow tanks to attach the other end of the hose to. Let alone his gun or the tiny pieces that float inside. Those I can understand. But the rest, at least include the yellow tank!

Wingnut and Screwloose are also new to me. They came out well. It was always a bummer that the little pack in guys were never painted. At least Wingnut doesn't seem to be skimped on accessories. He's got his wings, a gun, and a grenade. And I guess Screwloose counts as an accessory too. This one's another example of gorgeously grotesque sculpting that gets all the details washed out due to lack of paint.

Glad I got the set, despite the shortcomings. I'm gonna try to eBay the missing stuff for MM. But I think $12.50 a figure ain't bad.
mr_mxyzptlk
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:01 pm

Even Wingnut's true vintage figure was a bit sparse on paint. The back of the wings was always flat unpainted gray. He's one I can't wait to see Super7 tackle and really bring to the next level.

Sent from The Void using My Incredible Mind

VeeBee
Yeah, I was in the s#!%
Location: Never in my wildest imagination did I ever dream I would have ninjas like these.

Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:13 am

I am as tough as anyone on playmates, but aside from the lack of Mutagen Man accessories, this is a solid set. The paint apps aren’t any worse than the vintage (the reissue Bebop is on the list of most pathetic things I have ever seen), and character selection is fun.

Now, RE-RELEASE SCRATCH AND HOTSPOT YOU COWARDS.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:02 pm

:lol: Veebs, when I say I want the whole line rereleased, I mean everything. I had Halfcourt as a kid, and believe I still have all his accessories (at least Ruff the Ref, his gun, and his basketball), but he's definitely one of the more expensive figures on eBay & toy shows. But yeah, I want to replace everything I had as a kid, and get everything I didn't have, but wanted (like the blimp!).

Ugh, seriously, Mutagen Man!? Was hoping to replace the broken one I got loose on eBay awhile back (the peg that holds the tank in that little divot on his lower back was broken in the listing, so I knew what I was getting when I paid for it, but poster tack does NOT want to hold the tank on), since he didn't come with the little floaty garbage either. I'll never use it, but has anyone tested the water feature? Is this as leak-tight as the original?
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:39 pm

I can't imagine that this reissue Mutagen Man is watertight. Most of the purple hoses/harness tabs barely seem to stay attached to his tank. I could try it later.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”