Playmates: TMNT Original Vintage Series

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
MARVEL KNIGHT 2099
Such a cute little cheerleader
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Original Playmates Line

Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:05 pm

Misfit wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:31 pm
Playmates movie set is now available at Target. Splinter isn’t movie Splinter and is just a repaint of the 88 release. None of the turtles come with their movie accessories, just an old sprue:

https://www.target.com/p/teenage-mutant ... A-82039790
Ngl after seeing the original Movie Star figures, this set's kind of insulting...

As stated, it's such a big indicator that at this point Playmates feels like they can just throw out whatever and make bank off of it. 88 Splinter repainted into movie Splinter is annoyingly cheap (You can tell the eye paint's gonna bleed into the fur), Super Shredder's armor looks bad with its light plastic color, the turtles coming with the original sprue weapons is lazy...

It's one of those times where I'd say avoid buying this less they keep reissuing the same 30+ year old molds while saying they're catering to their collector following.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:43 pm

MARVEL KNIGHT 2099 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:05 pm
Misfit wrote:
Playmates movie set is now available at Target. Splinter isn’t movie Splinter and is just a repaint of the 88 release. None of the turtles come with their movie accessories, just an old sprue:

Ngl after seeing the original Movie Star figures, this set's kind of insulting...

As stated, it's such a big indicator that at this point Playmates feels like they can just throw out whatever and make bank off of it. 88 Splinter repainted into movie Splinter is annoyingly cheap (You can tell the eye paint's gonna bleed into the fur), Super Shredder's armor looks bad with its light plastic color, the turtles coming with the original sprue weapons is lazy...

It's one of those times where I'd say avoid buying this less they keep reissuing the same 30+ year old molds while saying they're catering to their collector following.
And to top it off, looks like the turtles are all the same mold now. The originals were all different.
MrMisterSaturn
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:47 pm

Thanks, I hate them.

I bought a set I'm sorry I'm part of the problem
NORM
My Thread USED to be Bigger Than Yours

Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:50 pm

Misfit wrote:

These look like garbage.

I really hate the painted spots, especially on Leonardo and Donatello. They look like barnacles, or like their skin has eyes.
Dr Baghead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:09 am

Aw man, I was looking forward to these.

Not only did I miss out on them, they’re the exact lazy reissues I was afraid of.

Guess I’ll just be buying the bootlegs and repainting
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:10 am

Don't want them, but they're sold out already.

C'mon, Playmates, do what you were doing at Toys'R'Us, just everywhere else (STOP STORE EXCLUSIVES & LIMITED PRODUCTION RUNS), and keep going after B&R (and I mean with the unique characters, not a wave of Turtle variants before TRU went bottoms up)...
SpiderHulkThing
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:36 am

Amazing it is how far they’ve fallen from grace. It surprises me that they haven’t just gone back and rerelease proper tmnt figures from the good old days like one ones mentioned by the previous poster. You would think they would at least release some more of the classics. That would be better than this trash. Glad I had no idea about these and glad it sold out before I found out about it.
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:26 am

It’s getting to the point now that whenever I see an ad for playmates tmnt figs on my social media pages I just list them as spam and block them. Their handling of the brand has become so lackluster that I just feel sorry for them. And the fact that they shame Neca for making better quality figures for collectors is almost laughably sad. It almost feels like they have this “always a bridesmaid, never the bride” kind of complex when it comes to their competition and collectors. How can Playmates legitimately believe that Neca is sour grapes when they themselves continue to make garbage that even bootleggers would turn their noses at, and then say “See? I told you we are better at this!” It’s just such a bizarre attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VeeBee
Yeah, I was in the s#!%
Location: Never in my wildest imagination did I ever dream I would have ninjas like these.

Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:43 pm

You need to think about just what these are, and the specific avenues being chosen for each genre.

Playmates made it clear that, with Rise ending, they would be taking a pause, likely to reset and retool for the next new TMNT media push. That makes sense for them. That said, with the license opened up, they cannot just sit dormant because that would likely open up new avenue for other things. These are likely stupidly lazy because they don’t have to be anything else to serve their intended purpose. And they still sell out.

Movie set at Target. Currently, NECA doesn’t have movie figures at Target, and this could be the way to keep them out, depending on the pointed language of the deals.

Comic set at Wal-Mart. Again, NECA doesn’t have the comic figures in WM right now. I bet they would love to.

Vintage figures at specialty/GameStop/etc. this is more of speculative point, but those might be lumped into the cartoon style since those original figures and the original cartoon went hand in hand. Again, no cartoon figures at specialty.

I know this can be specious in the reasoning, but with Playmates history, I don’t think it can be dismissed. They aren’t dumb. They KNOW people are eating up the NECA and S7 stuff. They also know TMNT is their golden goose, so they are gonna protect that however they can. I mean, look what happened when they got the Godzilla license, that was effectively the end of NECA’s run. I would be SHOCKED if the language for the deal did not hold exclusivity with that very thing in mind.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:14 pm

I don't know what you're complaining about with the spots. Looks like a perfect recreation of the Turtles from Turtles 3 lol.
thefamousnicknaro
CROM!

Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:11 pm

Still weird that they haven’t considered a legacy line of some kind with newly tooled figures done in all the classic/comic styles.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:40 pm

VeeBee wrote:
You need to think about just what these are, and the specific avenues being chosen for each genre.

Playmates made it clear that, with Rise ending, they would be taking a pause, likely to reset and retool for the next new TMNT media push. That makes sense for them. That said, with the license opened up, they cannot just sit dormant because that would likely open up new avenue for other things. These are likely stupidly lazy because they don’t have to be anything else to serve their intended purpose. And they still sell out.

Movie set at Target. Currently, NECA doesn’t have movie figures at Target, and this could be the way to keep them out, depending on the pointed language of the deals.

Comic set at Wal-Mart. Again, NECA doesn’t have the comic figures in WM right now. I bet they would love to.

Vintage figures at specialty/GameStop/etc. this is more of speculative point, but those might be lumped into the cartoon style since those original figures and the original cartoon went hand in hand. Again, no cartoon figures at specialty.

I know this can be specious in the reasoning, but with Playmates history, I don’t think it can be dismissed. They aren’t dumb. They KNOW people are eating up the NECA and S7 stuff. They also know TMNT is their golden goose, so they are gonna protect that however they can. I mean, look what happened when they got the Godzilla license, that was effectively the end of NECA’s run. I would be SHOCKED if the language for the deal did not hold exclusivity with that very thing in mind.
They're anything but dumb. They're spending a minimal amount of money for the likely end goal being to turn a profit and to fulfill a contractual obligation to release TMNT product every "X" amount of months in order to keep the license. The only thing they're damaging is their relationship with the collector market, a market they've never been that interested in anyway. And they can always point to the sell out as justification that they're brand can't be taking too big of a hit anyway. When they're ready to launch a new line of TMNT figures, it won't be collector market figures, but mass market retail for whatever is being sold to kids.
christianpyro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:23 pm

VeeBee wrote:

I suspect you hit the nail on the head. We adult collectors are in a good place right now with all the TMNT figures coming out. I fear when Playmates decides to come back into retailers with a new line, things will get further restricted or contracts with NECA and Super7 will not be renewed. For that reason alone I am in a hurry for NECA, Super7, and anyone else who gets a license, to put out as much TMNT product out as fast as they can.

I want things to continue as they are, and to even have greater access to these collector oriented TMNT figures, but I fear this is a limited opportunity.

My kids on the other hand are in a rough spot. They love TMNT, but there are no new kid friendly TMNT toys at retail. They are limited to past lines, and Ebay, which to a kid is not as fun as going into a store and choosing a new toy. My sons birthday is this week, and the grandparents are all having a difficult time finding him anything TMNT at stores. I did warn them though... :lol:

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”