Super7: TMNT Ultimates

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
User avatar
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4336
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 12:22 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:45 pm

I’m referring specifically to Super7 previously catering to choice, when they probably didn’t have to. Do you want a plastic robe or a soft goods, vintage robe on Splinter? You get both! Same deal with Shredder. For both Shredder and Bebop, there a vintage inspired paint job for a head, and one that isn’t. For April, they added a new head because of feedback after solicitation. I just don’t see them doing that anymore while also saving on the margins by cutting some of the extra stuff people really didn’t care about. It seems they’ll always give a turtle a secondary portrait, but not always the villains and wave 8 contains a figure that’s entirely reuse in place of a figure. I just see a deliberate attempt to cut costs on their part, but so far, the TMNT line has been the least impacted and that’s probably because it’s been the best seller, but I bet it’s also starting to fall off.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Garden State
Posts: 42743
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:25 pm

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:24 pm

Slash arrived and I opened him immediately.

He comes with a ton of accessories: three ninjas stars, two grenades, three extra pairs of hands (fists, grips, open, and is packaged with grips that hinge in the right direction!), a bent katana, a bent sai, barbed wire nunchucks, a mace, a spiked dagger, the alternate portrait, and the weapons sprue. The only weapon I don't remember the vintage originally coming with is the katana, though the stars and grenades were sculpted to the original, not loose pieces.

The alternate portrait is definitely very good, but so is the vintage portrait. The claws on the hands are thickly sculpted and look great painted. The extra hands are all cool inclusions, but I doubt I'll swap them on, because I want him wielding the weapons, and he actually has up/down hinges like he should! The overall sculpt of the figure is really mind-blowing. It's faithful to the original, but amplified to eleven. All the things that were insane about the original are in hi-def on this figure. It's pretty much all you could ask for in a sculpt.

The articulation is also good. So far, I'm not feeling any looseness in the hips that would effect posing him. There's enough friction in the joints themselves, and the way the upper thighs butt up against his shell/belt, that he feels stable and solid. He has a swivel tail, which is a nice touch, and even has decent range of motion in the neck, which tends to be a tough thing to pull off on characters that are hunched so the neck juts forward rather than up. He can look slightly side to side, even up, but not much down. Ankle rockers, ball hinge knees, thigh swivels, ball/hinge hips, hinge elbows, swivel biceps, ball/hinge shoulders, ball/socket neck. For a thick bruiser, he poses with similar agility to the four brothers, but I don't feel like I need to be as delicate around the hips.

I do want to point out that the belt is NOT removable. It's pegged into the back shell, where there's a socket that juts out to hold it in place. I guess that's part of the reason he doesn't come with a pink belt and a black belt. The belt itself has pegs for each of the three ninja stars, and two sheath loops, one that fits a blade, and a squarish one that fits something wider. The mace or one nunchuck handle could fit in that squarish loop. I've actually slid both the sai and katana into the squarish loop, and hooked the grenades into the thinner blade loop.

Dare I say, Slash might be flawless. Feels and looks like the best Super7 has executed in the TMNT line. I wish more of them felt this good.
User avatar
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 16867
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:17 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:51 pm

Misfit wrote: I’m referring specifically to Super7 previously catering to choice, when they probably didn’t have to.
Ah, I get'cha! Fair point. I wonder how much of that 'choice' thing is something they'd consider integral to the Ultimates branding? I mean, if it's just a larger-scale repro of a vintage toy with barely any extra parts, it's not very 'Ultimate.' Like the word 'Legends' after Marvel, I wonder how much of it is just branding and at what level they feel like they have to do something to 'earn' the name.

Some figures do feel very 'Ultimate' to me. Given the style of figure they make and articulation choices that are simply part of this style -- I feel like Mondo Gecko is absolutely 'Ultimate.' I can't imagine anything else you could do with him. I wish his head had more mobility, but again I don't take this line as being ULTRA articulated so it's hard to deduct many points from the figure for not having great ROM in spots. I think that feeling of 'I don't know how I would personally have made this any better than it is' is the reaction they should be striving for.

I'm just blathering now, but I guess what I'm saying is that, whether they like it or not, that 'Ultimates' branding carries at least some meaning with customers and they're going to have to be careful how much they reduce, and where they reduce.

NORM wrote: Dare I say, Slash might be flawless. Feels and looks like the best Super7 has executed in the TMNT line. I wish more of them felt this good.
Thanks for the review, Norm!
Sounds like Slash might be a great figure. I hope the loose hips one person complained about is just an anomaly. I'd love to be floored by at least one of my favorite vintage figures in this line. So far we're 0/2. Hoping for 1/3 whenever my local place gets Slash in stock.
And you're right - the vintage figure didn't come with a larger sword. Only the sai, knife, and morningstar/club thing. The larger crooked sword has appeared elsewhere, so it's interesting they decided to drop that in when they didn't necessarily have to.
PG-Superfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1428
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:47 pm

Misfit wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:45 pm
I’m referring specifically to Super7 previously catering to choice, when they probably didn’t have to. Do you want a plastic robe or a soft goods, vintage robe on Splinter? You get both! Same deal with Shredder. For both Shredder and Bebop, there a vintage inspired paint job for a head, and one that isn’t. For April, they added a new head because of feedback after solicitation. I just don’t see them doing that anymore while also saving on the margins by cutting some of the extra stuff people really didn’t care about. It seems they’ll always give a turtle a secondary portrait, but not always the villains and wave 8 contains a figure that’s entirely reuse in place of a figure. I just see a deliberate attempt to cut costs on their part, but so far, the TMNT line has been the least impacted and that’s probably because it’s been the best seller, but I bet it’s also starting to fall off.
My overall feeling is that the rereleases in TMNT (Metalhead Mikey, Silver Shredder) are easily skippable by most collectors but that retailers (who have to order by the case for their discount) will be stuck with some of these and unload them well below MSRP.
User avatar
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4336
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 12:22 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:00 am

Do you retailers have to order these by the case? Brian has stated that retailers order just like individuals, but that may have been an oversimplification. They don’t ship in cases though, but as individual figures, which is why BBTS has Slash and the Mouser set but no one else. I think some smaller retailers get their sets through Diamond so it wouldn’t shock me if they’re forced to order by sets.
User avatar
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 3917
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:02 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:10 am

To everyone who has the new Wave with Samurai Leo, leatherhead, Ray, etc..... are you happy with them? I keep reading things about loose hips or joints, figures too top heavy to stand or pose, and things like that.

With Super7, it's getting a little hard to justify buying Ultimate's due to the prices and then all the little mess ups the company makes with the finished products in each line. Be it loose joints, tight joints, things forgotten on the figure, or things assembled wrong on a figure.

But I love TMNT and have everything up to this new Wave. And I just wondered to those who have the new Wave, are you happy with them? Do you feel they were worth the money? And do you feel the toys will hold up over time, or do you think they will be too loose, flimsy, fall apart, or anything like that?
User avatar
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4336
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 12:22 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:40 am

I haven’t seen anyone other than reviewers get Wave 5 yet so those questions may go unanswered for a bit.
PG-Superfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1428
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:07 am

Misfit wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:00 am
Do you retailers have to order these by the case? Brian has stated that retailers order just like individuals, but that may have been an oversimplification. They don’t ship in cases though, but as individual figures, which is why BBTS has Slash and the Mouser set but no one else. I think some smaller retailers get their sets through Diamond so it wouldn’t shock me if they’re forced to order by sets.
I know the guys from Geek Dad Life get a price break from a local retailer and they said he has to order complete wave sets to get his discount.

That doesn't necessarily mean he gets the figures all at once but he has to order them as wave sets of 4 or 5 to get them below MSRP.
User avatar
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 16867
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:17 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:55 am

Like the shout out to Geek Dad Life. Great channel.
User avatar
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4336
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 12:22 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:23 pm

PG-Superfan wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:07 am
Misfit wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:00 am
Do you retailers have to order these by the case? Brian has stated that retailers order just like individuals, but that may have been an oversimplification. They don’t ship in cases though, but as individual figures, which is why BBTS has Slash and the Mouser set but no one else. I think some smaller retailers get their sets through Diamond so it wouldn’t shock me if they’re forced to order by sets.
I know the guys from Geek Dad Life get a price break from a local retailer and they said he has to order complete wave sets to get his discount.

That doesn't necessarily mean he gets the figures all at once but he has to order them as wave sets of 4 or 5 to get them below MSRP.
Ok, sounds like the intermediary parties then must deal in sets, which makes sense since most of the local shops I find Super7 product in have just a set or two. I never see just a bunch of a single turtles which I'm sure some would prefer to order. Brian obviously did oversimplify his explanation since, if it were the case that retailers order like everyone else, then none would be able to match Super7's price. The big retailers that don't utilize those intermediaries must get a price break somewhere, either in volume or variety incentives.
User avatar
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 18578
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:13 pm

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:17 pm

Got Slash in on Saturday while I was at work, and finally got to open him today.

Thankfully mine has NO loose hips at all, and everything seems nice and secure. I'm happy he's got vertical hinged gripping hands, it's just sad they can't do that for EVERY figure with melee weapons.
PG-Superfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1428
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:23 pm

SalemCrow wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:17 pm
Got Slash in on Saturday while I was at work, and finally got to open him today.

Thankfully mine has NO loose hips at all, and everything seems nice and secure. I'm happy he's got vertical hinged gripping hands, it's just sad they can't do that for EVERY figure with melee weapons.
Vertical hinges work well for guns too.

IMHO, they should be the default for everything except fists.
User avatar
Garlador
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 296
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:03 pm

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:27 pm

SalemCrow wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:17 pm
Got Slash in on Saturday while I was at work, and finally got to open him today.

Thankfully mine has NO loose hips at all, and everything seems nice and secure. I'm happy he's got vertical hinged gripping hands, it's just sad they can't do that for EVERY figure with melee weapons.
I think I’m ready to gamble on Slash. I’m hearing a lot of “he’s solid” reports and only a few with loose joints.

He and Ray are two of my old favorites. After that, I think I’ll mostly be out until we get a Chrome Dome.
User avatar
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Chicago 'Burbs
Posts: 6199
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:36 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:30 pm

Great rundown, Norm, thanks!

Another of my Mouser packs just hit my PoL, lmao. I think that's all I did. One full set of the wave, and two additional Mouser orders. So, two in my PoL, just waiting on the full wave now. Which is weird, because them & Slash are the wave after the one in reviewers' hands now, but I've had no movement there...
User avatar
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1874
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:46 pm

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:33 pm

Where's my surfer Mikey? He was the same wave, right? I have Slash in my POL but am waiting for the Mike before I ship.

By the way, I just want the heads. If anyone's interested in the body of surfer Mikey, let me know.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”