Playmates: TMNT Miscellaneous

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Playmates: TMNT Miscellaneous

Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:41 pm

I have regular & samurai Usagi (with horse!), but the SDCC one is still a grail of mine. :|
Jead
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:57 am

Honestly, I still have to get Don and Mike, but Usagi may be my #1 figure to hunt down from the line. I always wanted that SDCC version when I saw it as a kid, but those prices...
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:18 am

I know im the minority here but i think the Playmates TMNT Classics is a awesome line. dont know why the hate. they are super articulated especially the hands which i like. the only 2 things that are bad are minor though. they are alittle too tall and the weapons are kinda cheap looking but thats about it. i repainted their eyes all white. first time i ever saw them i was floored.
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:36 am

The "Classics" were a worthwhile effort when they FIRST released them, but the hands, like many of the articulated hands on Toy Biz Marvel Legends figures, meant holding weapons securely was out of the question.

I sold my toon versions, and the SOTO versions, and only kept my first movie versions because I did some minor paint additions to them in the form of spots and some shading on the skin and shells.
chris350
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:21 pm

Night Wolf wrote:I know im the minority here but i think the Playmates TMNT Classics is a awesome line. dont know why the hate. they are super articulated especially the hands which i like. the only 2 things that are bad are minor though. they are alittle too tall and the weapons are kinda cheap looking but thats about it. i repainted their eyes all white. first time i ever saw them i was floored.
If it wasn't just the same figures released every time with different paint apps (and an occasional new head sculpt) I don't think it would be as hated. With wonkiness issues not addressed and little variety besides the turtles (and scale issues with non Turtle characters) there are tons of better, similar priced options now. I picked up the original Raph when it came out and liked it okay, but at this day and age they are archaic compared to what's out there.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:13 am

chris350 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:21 pm
Night Wolf wrote:I know im the minority here but i think the Playmates TMNT Classics is a awesome line. dont know why the hate. they are super articulated especially the hands which i like. the only 2 things that are bad are minor though. they are alittle too tall and the weapons are kinda cheap looking but thats about it. i repainted their eyes all white. first time i ever saw them i was floored.
If it wasn't just the same figures released every time with different paint apps (and an occasional new head sculpt) I don't think it would be as hated.
Hmm, legends does it all the time. heck all companies reuse molds. thats quite typical of toy companies.
Detrimental_Fig
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:32 pm

Speaking of reused Classics... First looks at the Street Fighter x TMNT Mikey and Chun Li set.

Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:12 pm

TMNT classics mold = Bucky Cap mold :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

(Chun Li looks good, a slender version)
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:39 pm

The problem is no one still wants those. They were fine when they came out the first time, just the four turtles. But they never did other characters, I think they did Rocksteady and Bebop but that was it. And since then, everything they've paired these bodies with has been scaled completely wrong. They're not a little too tall, they are WAY too tall.

Just the four Turtles on their own, sure they're fine. But we now have much better options with the NECA and Super7 Turtles, even the upcoming Mezco Turtles. These repaints just seem pointless. If anyone wants them, they already have them. I was only interested in these Street Fighter two-packs because of the Street Fighter figures. But now with Jada Toys doing Street Fighter figures, as little as I've seen from them, I already trust them more then Playmates to do a better job with the Capcom license.

I honestly think Playmates would do better if they just re-released their older '80s figures with improved paint apps. That's all any of us really want from them. Or the 2003 or 2012 lines, too. Instead, they're re-releasing those older figures with worse paint apps.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:18 pm

Parts reuse is fine when the mold is good and the reuse appropriate. I would argue the 2012 Classic Collection had a dated feel to it even in 2012, but we had not received any collector turtles since NECA’s Mirage release that many overlooked the cosmetic issues and picked them up. I don’t think they look particularly good and the reissues haven’t changed my mind even a little bit, but hey, like what you like. At least they’re easy to get.
thefamousnicknaro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:49 am

Handsome wrote:The problem is no one still wants those. They were fine when they came out the first time, just the four turtles. But they never did other characters, I think they did Rocksteady and Bebop but that was it. And since then, everything they've paired these bodies with has been scaled completely wrong. They're not a little too tall, they are WAY too tall.

Just the four Turtles on their own, sure they're fine. But we now have much better options with the NECA and Super7 Turtles, even the upcoming Mezco Turtles. These repaints just seem pointless. If anyone wants them, they already have them. I was only interested in these Street Fighter two-packs because of the Street Fighter figures. But now with Jada Toys doing Street Fighter figures, as little as I've seen from them, I already trust them more then Playmates to do a better job with the Capcom license.

I honestly think Playmates would do better if they just re-released their older '80s figures with improved paint apps. That's all any of us really want from them. Or the 2003 or 2012 lines, too. Instead, they're re-releasing those older figures with worse paint apps.
I really want Playmates to just straight up rip off Mattel’s MotU Origins and do updated versions of the original line with modern articulation in the classic scale. That’s what I really want.
mikeysee
Avengers Assemble

Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:06 pm

thefamousnicknaro wrote: I really want Playmates to just straight up rip off Mattel’s MotU Origins and do updated versions of the original line with modern articulation in the classic scale. That’s what I really want.
Yep. Yep yep yep. That would be absolutely amazing. I don't think they could swing it for cheap like Mattel is though since there's very little reuse to keep costs low. But yes, that would be a dream line.
Night Wolf wrote:Hmm, legends does it all the time. heck all companies reuse molds. thats quite typical of toy companies.
Right, but Legends isn't using the same buck for the same character over and over and over. They're creating brand new characters that use the same base. Playmates is using Donatello to create... Donatello. And then another Donatello. And then ANOTHER Donatello. That's a lazy that is unique to Playmates.
thefamousnicknaro
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:12 am

mikeysee wrote:
thefamousnicknaro wrote: I really want Playmates to just straight up rip off Mattel’s MotU Origins and do updated versions of the original line with modern articulation in the classic scale. That’s what I really want.
Yep. Yep yep yep. That would be absolutely amazing. I don't think they could swing it for cheap like Mattel is though since there's very little reuse to keep costs low. But yes, that would be a dream line.
Night Wolf wrote:Hmm, legends does it all the time. heck all companies reuse molds. thats quite typical of toy companies.
Right, but Legends isn't using the same buck for the same character over and over and over. They're creating brand new characters that use the same base. Playmates is using Donatello to create... Donatello. And then another Donatello. And then ANOTHER Donatello. That's a lazy that is unique to Playmates.
Well, they’d at least be able to reuse the Turtles sculpt. But, they’re going to do unique sculpts with similar modern articulation for whatever the next line is, so reuse shouldn’t be a factor to begin with.
Merso
Super Poseable

Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:59 pm

https://youtu.be/03VcudsPAyY

TMNT X Street Fighter at the 2:30 mark

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk

mattmurdog
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:16 am

Picked up the Leo and Ryu set today at Target. The packaging is really striking and I like it quite a bit. Oddly though there were only three Ryu packs and no Chun Li. Not sure if everyone just wanted her or if my store received only Ryu.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”