NECA: TMNT Mirage/Comic Series

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
minitaur
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: NECA: TMNT Mirage/Comic Series

Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:51 am

The problem with the cel shading is that these are actually 3D figures so it looks weird.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:06 am

Again, NECA isn’t trying to make a Fugitoid that looks like a “real” robot, they’re trying to take the illustration and make it 3D. The only way to do that is match the deco to the art, because the art wasn’t naturally lit, they just drew what they thought would look best. It’s the same reason why Wolverine has blue hair in the comics, when every character bio says his hair is black.
Maximoff
no more subnics

Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:28 am

I found what you all want. I’ll take something with actual paint application and dimension that makes it look like it walked out of the page.

Detrimental_Fig
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:56 am

minitaur wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:51 am
The problem with the cel shading is that these are actually 3D figures so it looks weird.
It really doesn't though.
Detrimental_Fig
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:57 am

ODBJBG wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:35 pm
Detrimental_Fig wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:20 am
ODBJBG wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:55 pm

I mean, not really, but yeah in certain shots, sure. But when the Turtles turned around, they weren't another color. Same with every character.

What looks alright in 2 dimensions, does not always translate to 3.
I'd say it translates well, and it definitely makes them look appropriately toony. Makes the line stand out better that way.
Cool for you.

it's not accurate though, so I don't like it.
How can you say it's not accurate when it's very much accurate to how the shading looked in the cartoon? It's extremely accurate.
JRSly
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:24 am

I never liked the cartoon shading either, it didn't make sense to commit paint to specific lighting and look that is bound to be a broken illusion with most posing. Like, horror movies are largely in dark environments, but they don't paint Jason's neck and legs black and shirt with shadowy patches of midnight blue. No, it's painted with local color and real world lighting creates the shadows and varying colors.

Things like Fugitoid, paint approaches like non-metallic metal makes a lot more sense than painting shading to me.
ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:07 am

Yeah like I said, I don't think it's too bad on Fugitoid, but the Mirage line needs to walk a finer line, IMO.

Part of the reason the cartoon figures shading doesn't work is it only looks good from one very specific, unposed angle. It's just not accurate and toys are meant to be posed and played with, but when you move parts around or just turn them around, the figures have completely different colors on them. I'm glad that some people like that, but obviously many don't as well.

The Mirage line has never suffered from that, just heavy panel lining which is more common in toys overall.
minitaur
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:05 am

Sorry guys I misunderstood and thought the mirage line was meant to be figures from the old comic series. I didn’t realize there was a mirage cartoon. Of course if this is a cartoon-based line then cel shading makes a lot more sense. Like how marvel legends did the cel shading on venom because it was from the Spider-Man cartoon.
MankindRam
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:20 pm

I like it
Detrimental_Fig
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:52 pm

JRSly wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:24 am
I never liked the cartoon shading either, it didn't make sense to commit paint to specific lighting and look that is bound to be a broken illusion with most posing. Like, horror movies are largely in dark environments, but they don't paint Jason's neck and legs black and shirt with shadowy patches of midnight blue. No, it's painted with local color and real world lighting creates the shadows and varying colors.

Things like Fugitoid, paint approaches like non-metallic metal makes a lot more sense than painting shading to me.
That's comparing apples to oranges and in no way is the same thing. But if you wanted to go down that path, they have done similar with the warrior xenomorphs. Brown being the suit color, blue being the movie color. If you left everything up to real world lighting and shadows then you get bland visuals like many of the current McFarlane toy (I point to Gunslinger Spawn's coat in particular, it feels so lacking in person) or Super7's April where most of the detail is lost on her unless you're up close. A detailed plastic sculpt can only do so much, and there's a reason why people throw on a wash on a toy. Because lighting and shadows don't do it all, you have to cheat with paint.

With the cartoon line, real world shadows and lighting can't do what is done in a cartoon, let alone on someone's shelf. That's why that painting is done to accentuate it. That's why it works for the toon figures.
JRSly
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:46 pm

I can only compare to oranges because I can't think of any other apples to mention. I imagine there's just be some out there but I don't know if any off the top of my head. Are there anime figures that have similar paint apps?

I'm not an Alien collector so I can't really judge those fairly. The only other sort of similar design I can think of is the King Kong variant painted like the movie poster which I, personally, think looks terrible. Again, because it's a toy, that is meant to be moved around and viewed from all angles. That's more of a fun, gimmicky release than a sincere effort, but there's a reason you don't really see figures painted with object-source-lighting.

I can totally see what NECA intends with the turtles, but I just think that effort goes out the window the moment you raise their arms and the shadow no longer makes sense. Washes and dry brushing doesn't lock a figure into a narrow scope of posing and positions. Figures don't have the same "luxury" as figurines or statues where this paint approach can enhance the sculpt and is more forgiving.
KarlSpace
Customized

Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:06 pm

Well, sounds like cel-shading works for some, and not for others. Crazy how subjective opinions work, isn't it? For me, I think it looks pretty neat for someone who is supposed to be really shiny, but I don't really think we'll see it on the turtles themselves.

I wonder if they're including the turtles guns as a good way to entice non-fugitoid fans to pick him up. If it was just him without the guns, he'd be an easy pass for me, as I have no real affinity for him. But, depending on what the Eastman turtles look like, and if they're from the Planet of Triceraton issues and will match up with the guns..then I might have to grab him just to add the guns to the turtles themselves.
mattmurdog
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:08 am

KarlSpace wrote:
Well, sounds like cel-shading works for some, and not for others. Crazy how subjective opinions work, isn't it? For me, I think it looks pretty neat for someone who is supposed to be really shiny, but I don't really think we'll see it on the turtles themselves.
One only has to look towards how they painted the cartoon turtles. I imagine if there's cell shading it'd be similar. I also wonder how much cheaper these figures would be if all they had were basic paint apps. The cell shading is not mandatory by any means unless Randy himself is a huge fan.
KarlSpace
Customized

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:41 am

mattmurdog wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:08 am
KarlSpace wrote:
One only has to look towards how they painted the cartoon turtles. I imagine if there's cell shading it'd be similar. I also wonder how much cheaper these figures would be if all they had were basic paint apps. The cell shading is not mandatory by any means unless Randy himself is a huge fan.
I'd suggest we only have to look towards how they painted the loot crate Shredder, who has comic shading on him. So, I'm backtracking on my earlier assertion, and thinking we're likely to see some shading on the turtles too.

Hopefully it won't be too distracting, or they give us a few versions of the figures, maybe with a less shaded version first, then the more shaded version down the road for those who want that look. Why not double dip on these sculpts?
ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:42 pm

The shading on all the other Mirage figures has been fine. But NECA seems to pick and choose how they want to go about that.

A good example is actually Shredder.

The original release Mirage Shredder does not have any "cel shading" to indicate that his mask is shiny and reflective, even though it was often depicted that way in Mirage art.

The Loot Crate blue Shredder DOES have that on it (but the figure itself is designed to be a very specific aesthetic).

The mutant claw hand Shredder does not have the effect on the helmet.

My original concern was that Fugitoid could be a one off and maybe they thought he looked too plain otherwise, BUT, he represented much more "cel shading" than previous figures, that tend to have deep panel lines and just a bit of shadowing in deep recesses.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”