The Loyal Subjects: TMNT BST AXN and Action Vinyl Series

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: The Loyal Subjects: TMNT BST AXN and Action Vinyl Series

Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:27 pm

You can now preorder the entire wave at BBTS. Probably other retailers as well. They're all dated Q1 2022.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?H ... m_content=
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:31 pm

If the Shredder actually looks like that prototype, I'd say it's the best looking Shredder we've gotten. Super7 is too strictly sticking to the toy looks, so he's got a blue helmet and no shirt. NECA is too strictly sticking to the cartoon looks, so instead of a silver helmet, it's grey with some cell shading. This looks like what I want a Shredder figure to look like.

But yeah, it's way too small to use with anything else. Except maybe the classic Playmates toys. But it would be weird not to use the classic Shredder toy with those.
MARVEL KNIGHT 2099
Such a cute little cheerleader

Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:43 pm

Went ahead and preordered four foot soldiers. Will they be smaller than I'd like? Yes, but I'll deal with it.

Plus if we see more proto and in-hand shots between now and release and they look bad, I can just cancel my order. They're the only option I have for foot soldiers that aren't a pain in the ass to find for a price I'd want to pay, like NECA's, or are stuck to a pricy two-pack, like the Hasbro Lightning Collection version.
VeeBee
Yeah, I was in the s#!%
Location: Never in my wildest imagination did I ever dream I would have ninjas like these.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:21 am

I would be very cautious putting any kind of realistic expectation on their renders vs actual product. Image
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:20 pm

Fortunately, the Turtles themselves aren't human and are based on cartoon looks. I know these are famous last words, but I think the toon looks would be harder to screw up than human actor likenesses. I still will approach with caution. I preordered the four boys at Dorkside. Glad these aren't limited to just Walmart like I had originally anticipated.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:27 pm

1: What Veebs said.

2: Because Loyal Subjects is under the same delusion as McFarlane that people don't care about scale, expect everyone to be the same height.
EXAMPLE:

vs.

So, Shredder, Bebop, Casey, and Foot Soldiers are all going to be dinky-looking, as they'll be the same 5" as the Turtles.

3: I will still buy them all, and I fully admit that I am part of the problem (though in my defense, those are NOT my FMA figures - I refused to buy them because of that crap). I apologize.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:50 pm

NORM wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:20 pm
Fortunately, the Turtles themselves aren't human and are based on cartoon looks. I know these are famous last words, but I think the toon looks would be harder to screw up than human actor likenesses. I still will approach with caution. I preordered the four boys at Dorkside. Glad these aren't limited to just Walmart like I had originally anticipated.
I could be wrong, but I think the turtles are actual product images as they've been out for a bit. If you like what you see with them, then you should be mostly pleased with the figures. The new ones are all renders though. And not to dissuade you, but they don't have a much better track record with renders vs final product with toon properties. The sculpt appears to be there, but they go cheap on paint. Below is the render for toon Beetlejuice, followed by the final figure:

If their stuff was more like 15 bucks instead of 20, I think they'd have something, but I personally don't see the level of quality I want from a small scale 20 dollar figure. To each their own.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:20 pm

Thanks for putting that Beetlejuice pic up. I do still wanna give these a chance. Mostly out of curiosity, but I also like variety in my collection. So I'll buy every iteration of the four turtles in standard looks that become available. As for price, 17.99 was a bit surprising at Dorkside, but that seems to be common for low end, highly articulated collectibles these days. Even MotUO has jumped from 14.99 to the 18 range. And prices are just going to keep rising. I'm sure I'll get priced out of some things eventually, but I'll still check these out. Not sure about the supporting cast, because I don't necessarily need to go as deep with this collection, especially if quality is questionable.
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:26 pm

Other than the skin tone being a little paler than it needed to be, that Beetlejuice looks pretty good. I think the render was a little over shaded for a toon figure.

I'm like NORM. I'm like to see the turtles in person if I can, so I can judge if I want them. I'm also tempted by that Casey.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:00 pm

Their stuff WAS $13-14... Image
VeeBee
Yeah, I was in the s#!%
Location: Never in my wildest imagination did I ever dream I would have ninjas like these.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:12 pm

That Beetlejuice joins Janoz in the tie split articulation Hall of Shame.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:04 pm

:lol: Oh man, I didn't even notice it until you mentioned it...
ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:56 pm

You guys keep posting side by sides with renders. Yes the renders look better because they're better shaded/colored and the articulation isn't as prominent in the renders, but I mean, pretty much everything sculpt wise made it to the final figures and they look identical in that regard.

If anything, the big thing I'm noticing with this series is that the colors are just much brighter on the final products across the board.

I don't know about the scaling issues, I suspect they will do some scaling with this line. Their Full Metal stuff was early on and I don't think they thought it as through. But I could be wrong. I know some of their more current musicians appear to be scaled.

That said, the price increase to $20 is odd. At $15 I'm all in, but at $20 I'm going to be more selective. Interestingly the TMNT themselves were supposed to be $15 and that's the price in other countries, so I'm wondering if all the pandemic issues haven't caused an increase by the time these hit our shores.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:35 pm

IIRC, they were asked about scale, with the Elric brothers being the biggest sore spot, and their official corporate response was along the lines of "but we want everyone the same SIZE."

The only figures I have from them are Spike & Vicious from Cowboy Bebop, Aang from Last Airbender, and Angus Young from AC/DC, and have never compared any of them. Spike & Vicious should be 6'1" & 6'2", Aang should be 4'6", and Angus 5'2", but I'm pretty sure they're all just 5". And yeah, the Bebop figures are from the beginning of the line, but Angus & Aang aren't.

And along the lines of the price increase...these aren't great figures at $15. At $20....... :|
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:32 am

I do not like the figures, but that box is incredible!

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”