Super7: TMNT Ultimates

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
The Chrisbot
Here comes a new challenger!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:47 pm

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:16 pm

How would ab crunches with Turtles toys even work though? Wouldn't that make the shells ugly? Could they somehow make the front torso crunch forward independently from the shell?
NORM
My Thread USED to be Bigger Than Yours
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Garden State
Posts: 39105
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:25 pm

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:14 pm

Plenty of other versions of the Turtles have ab crunches. Independent from the back shell is exactly how they work. Some work better than others.
User avatar
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2275
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 12:22 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:25 pm

NORM wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:49 am
If I remember the original toys, they chipped paint like crazy. The flesh paint over the metal scraped off easily, the vac metal also lost its finish. I understand why vac metal is off the table, but metallic paint shouldn’t be. If Marvel Legends can pull off what they just did with the Ursa Major Iron Man wave, S7 should be able to do the same.
Yes, vac metal can be pretty brittle. I have the Super7 Voltron with vac metal sword and shield and the shield has a couple of chips on it already, and I don't even display it with him. It's also a magnet for fingerprints, but it sure does look cool! I think Brian confirmed the ultimates Metalhead will have a vac metal chest so hopefully that turns out well.
The Chrisbot wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:16 pm
How would ab crunches with Turtles toys even work though? Wouldn't that make the shells ugly? Could they somehow make the front torso crunch forward independently from the shell?
The Revoltech turtles based on the 2012 series have an ab crunch and it actually works better than you'd think. They look stupid from the back because the shell has to split, but it's not terrible. It's also not really necessary. Bandai kind of fakes an ab crunch with the SHF turtles by putting the shell on a hinge so you could shift it up and down kind of simulating that the turtle was bending. They also have joints in the abdomen and the front of the shell is soft so you can get some modest movement, but I wouldn't want to leave a turtle in such a pose if I felt it was putting any stress on the front of the shell. Anthony's Customs on YouTube has reviews of both lines if you want to see the articulation in action.
User avatar
Rogers1938
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Metter, GA
Posts: 515
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:17 pm

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:29 pm

I agree that ab crunch with the Turtles is/can be an eye sore. But Shredder could have benefited from an ab crunch. As could Bebop and... That's where I don't see eye to eye with Brian. And its okay. It's his toy company. When I have my own toy company I'll do things that everyone doesn't agree with either.

But it does seem like many people don't agree with him on articulation. I remember a few reviewers (who received product for the purpose of review) commenting that the missing torso joint was needed. So at what point do you make concessions towards the fan base who is buying your product? Because based on his logic, if he was doing Thundercats now without the Mattel molds there would be no torso joint just a waist swivel.
User avatar
ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 4290
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:54 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:44 pm

I actually agree with Brian on this one. While there are some figures I can use ab crunch on, it often really screws up the sculpt for something I don't need.

Plus the TMNT have a lot of characters where it would really be impossible to do or definitely impede the sculpt.

I don't hate ab crunch, but I don't miss it on these figures.
thatguy
I wish I had super powers
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:42 pm

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:19 pm

i have to agree with brian and those who agree with brian on this. i disagree with people who want ab crunches and and more articulation, personally. i feel strongly about this.

to me, this line is about beautiful sculpts. and they are beautiful. with every ab crunch or articulation seam, you detract from the overall quality of the sculpt. that's pretty objective and not really up for debate.

for me, i don't want to play with these every day. i don't really want to pose them dynamically. i want them on the shelf to show how awesome the original playmates designs were. there are other lines that are much better for play or dynamic posing. this doesn't need to be like all the others.

that, and the fact that this line is based off of the original playmates line, which has really low articulation.
User avatar
TheCollector1999
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: An Abandoned Toys R Us
Posts: 2369
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:07 pm

I miss the ab crunch for sure I get that obviously you can’t give mutagen man and the turtles ab crunch but if I wanted a perfect sculpt I would get a statue
The Chrisbot
Here comes a new challenger!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:47 pm

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:22 pm

NORM wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:14 pm
Plenty of other versions of the Turtles have ab crunches. Independent from the back shell is exactly how they work. Some work better than others.
Hmm, I didn't know that. I only recently got into Turtles toys because of NECA and and Super7 Ultimates, with no crunches.

The last time I had Turtles toys was from the original cartoon when I was still a kid, lol.
User avatar
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 15499
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:17 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:43 am

The Chrisbot wrote: Hmm, I didn't know that. I only recently got into Turtles toys because of NECA and and Super7 Ultimates, with no crunches.
The NECA movie turtles do have them. They're just more useful for side-to-side movement because of the shells. But it is an actual ball joint inside the mid-torso, as far as I'm aware.


ODBJBG wrote: I actually agree with Brian on this one. While there are some figures I can use ab crunch on, it often really screws up the sculpt for something I don't need.

Plus the TMNT have a lot of characters where it would really be impossible to do or definitely impede the sculpt.

I don't hate ab crunch, but I don't miss it on these figures.
I think something like this version of TMNT is actually a great line for justifying the 'as appropriate' approach to articulation. Some figures might need more swivel joints because of the design, where others can fit in more ball joints, or some may need more hinge joints than others, or whatever. With as many unique sculpts as the line gets, there's absolutely no reason to be locked in to a 'standard' articulation model. That's just stupidly handicapping your own creativity and engineering.
The foot soldiers, for example, should have an ab crunch. So should Shredder, and Casey. Mutagen Man? Of course not. But Mutagen Man should definitely have deeper elbow hinges than he appears to have (so should all the goddamn Turtles, to be fair, and probably almost every other figure in this line). There's a lot of room here to look at each figure as an individual item and S7 just isn't interested in doing that. Probably, in part, because the 4H are actually responsible for that stuff and they're just not very good toy designers.
Optimuslivs4evr
I wish I had super powers
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:57 pm

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:45 am

Theres an easy middle ground as seen in mythic legions where there is a large ball joint at the waist which allows for some decent crunch and side to side torso movement without breaking up the sculpt at all. Plus the 4 horsemen are already familiar with this.
User avatar
Cloak-n-Dagger
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1337
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:19 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:28 am

Optimuslivs4evr wrote:Theres an easy middle ground as seen in mythic legions where there is a large ball joint at the waist which allows for some decent crunch and side to side torso movement without breaking up the sculpt at all. Plus the 4 horsemen are already familiar with this.
That would involve Brian admitting that there is someone else on earth that knows more about making toys than he does.
apriori
Here comes a new challenger!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:36 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:27 am

I think Brian is just nostalgia driven and has very little interest in innovating the form and function of action figures. And that philosophy works for Super 7 for the most part. I also appreciate how open he is about the business aspects of the toy industry.

That said, his claims about double jointed elbows are weak. Plenty of companies produce figures with double joints that look nice aesthetically. I think there’s some laziness there and I worry it’ll get worse now that they’re releasing so many lines.
Shreddar
Super Poseable
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:47 pm

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:24 am

apriori wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:27 am
I think Brian is just nostalgia driven and has very little interest in innovating the form and function of action figures.
He “innovated” mutagen man to exist without a water proof chamber. Somehow it was possible 40 years ago but current tech can’t support that feature.
User avatar
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Chicago 'Burbs
Posts: 3711
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:36 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:06 pm

I mean...you could put a joint cut at the separation between the top two plates & the middle two plates...
User avatar
ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 4290
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:54 am

Re: Super7: TMNT Ultimates

Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:09 pm

I'm not bothered by the lack of water in Mutagen Man (I mean who really wants to put water in a $50 figure?), but it is kind of a shame that they didn't do some sort of molded translucent mutagen inside of him that had all the stuff in it. Could have been really cool, similar to some of the spiffy vinyl colorways they've made in recent years. But I'm sure people would have complained about that too, so damned if you do, damned if you don't I suppose.

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”