NECA: TMNT Cartoon Series

FIGURES IN A HALF SHELL! NECA, Super7, Playmates, if it possesses Turtle Power, talk about it here.
Zombie F-Body
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: "Never before have lives less lived been more chronicled"-Dennis Miller about social media

Re: NECA: TMNT Cartoon Series

Thu May 06, 2021 12:43 pm

Good find, Misfit!

I played MT:TG and ST:TNG CCG in high school. I still have a binder full of my rares from ST:TNG up until they revised the format and rules. The only card I really need is the Super Ultra Rare James T. Kirk from ST:Generations that was in the movie series expansion set. Only found one on eBay a few months ago and the guy wanted $900 for it! It's a 20-year old card from a game no one plays anymore. I scoffed at the $50-$70 it was going for several years back. I really regret selling (usually for just enough to get a few more boosters) or trading off those rare first edition MT:TG cards back in the day. Those days were so much simpler. A couple of bucks for a pack and actually being able to trade with friends.
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 3:42 pm

TinkerersAssistant02 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:39 am
spideyboy1111 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 6:15 am
panther10 wrote:I was unaware that printed collector cards were still a thing. I thought everyone used amino for that kind of thing these days. Hell I frequently go on eBay and will buy a complete collection of trading cards that came out in the 90’s, and I’ve often been able to find complete runs for under $40. So for those out there who are would be scalpers and speculators who are thinking that if you have a handful of cards and you think you’ve got the winning hand...I got news for you...that’s not gonna last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honestly, pokemon and Magic have lasted and stayed strong since the 90s, i dont see those in any danger of decreasing

Standard trading cards, sure. But not the gaming ones, which is what is hot now and has never really fizzled

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yeah, the card reselling game has been huge for scalpers this past year or so. Pokemon especially, but many others too, and even some of the sports stuff. Like others said, we're talking Black Friday levels of hysteria: camping outside the store overnight/lines around the building or block, stampedes/fights, using family members/children to get around one case per customer rules, buying up the cereal aisle for the exclusive Pokemon cards that come in certain brands, etc. As bad as reselling has got for figures since corona hit, it's even worse for cards.

And I don't even care about cards myself, I just know all this from what I've seen and heard, both physically and online.

And even in the case for the cards that generally might not hold value long-term, that won't deter the scalpers. They aren't the sentimental type. They just move from one hot-ticket item to the next as soon as demand fades. And like spideyboy said, some types, like Pokemon and Magic have held their popularity pretty well since the 90s card mania.

But as for Turtles: got my hands on a Frog 2-pack. Pretty nice set overall, looking forward to getting the other 2 brothers in the future.
Sports cards are up? honestly ive heard that's been a dying market... much like stamp collecting. I don't even know anyone who collects those or have come across it at all, though sports collectibles seem to be their own little sect and don't associate much with geek collectibles (though sports geeks are still geeks lol ) so i'm also pretty far removed from anyone who'd buy those. Just haven't come across anything online about it
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 3:44 pm

Misfit wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:47 am
Placeholder page for the frogs is up so set your reminders and hope for the best:

https://www.target.com/p/teenage-mutant ... A-82039411
awesome! :) hope it goes up when i can notice
gustahdore
Here comes a new challenger!

Thu May 06, 2021 3:53 pm

Here's a little personal anecdote for how booming trading cards are right now. Back in 1997, WWF didn't have a trading card deal. So card collectors randomly decided game pieces from a trivia game WWF released that year, were considered trading cards. Why? Because in 1997, a fellow by the name of Rocky Maivia had a game piece in the trivia game. Rocky Maivia would floundered as a white-meat, smiling, good guy before changing personas and becoming THE ROCK. So these card collectors are so desperate to create value, they've convinced everyone that a game piece from trivia game is Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's "Rookie Card" despite the fact it's not even the traditional size of trading card (it's smaller). I happen to have this trivia game sitting in my parent's attic for 10+ years. I sold that card 6 months ago for $550 - ungraded. Graded versions of this card have gone for $5000+. Absolutely nuts.
superdoug
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu May 06, 2021 4:04 pm

That’s crazy!
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Thu May 06, 2021 4:16 pm

Hearing these kinds of nonsensical stories makes me want to pull out my Fleer Ultra holograms and join in on the fray. Are you [email protected]#$ kidding me???
spideyboy1111
Facebook!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 4:22 pm

panther10 wrote:Hearing these kinds of nonsensical stories makes me want to pull out my Fleer Ultra holograms and join in on the fray. Are you [email protected]#$ kidding me???
Before you go and do that, lol most trading cards are not doing that. Just like "the rock" card, they're pretty specific singular cards, or trading card game related.

You can for instance still get a whole set of 90s marvel cards relatively cheap.

Last year I finally completed my Bagley 90s spidey card collection for instance. Even the hollows I was missing weren't really more than like $5/pc.

And about 6months ago I saw an unopened case of 90s xmen cards go for like only $45

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

e-rock
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 4:31 pm

Hope I can snag these when they go up. My area sucks for TMNT stuff, so it's either this or I wait for Neca
Popoman
CROM?

Thu May 06, 2021 4:35 pm

Misfit wrote:
Placeholder page for the frogs is up so set your reminders and hope for the best:

so no turtles 4-pack yet?
mikeysee
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Thu May 06, 2021 4:43 pm

Blingoman wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:35 pm
so no turtles 4-pack yet?
Nope, not yet. I'm surprised these went up before the 4-pack but it sounds like the 4-pack will be restocking multiple times so this might be the harder to find of the two anyway.

Set those notifications!
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

NECA: TMNT Cartoon Series

Thu May 06, 2021 4:47 pm

e-rock wrote:
Hope I can snag these when they go up. My area sucks for TMNT stuff, so it's either this or I wait for Neca
Point well taken. Honestly though, hearing that trading card collecting is back is almost more startling than learning that NFC's are a thing
Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 5:10 pm

At all of my stores, there is signs in the sports / trade card area that items are limited to one per customer, please go to the service desk to purchase, and the sections are always empty.

My local ThinkGeek stopped announcing Pops and figures on its Instagram and just talks about Pokemon cards.

I say good, I hope scalpers jump from figures to cards, much like many of them jumped from Funko Pop to action figures.
gustahdore

Thu May 06, 2021 8:04 pm

panther10 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:47 pm
e-rock wrote:
Point well taken. Honestly though, hearing that trading card collecting is back is almost more startling than learning about crypto currency and NFC's
The ironic part about this post, Topps basically created the concept or a dumbed down version of NFTs years ago with digital trading cards. The NBA made a killing earlier this year with their "Top Shots" digital cards, which are basically NFTs. It all comes full circle. :lol:
gustahdore

Thu May 06, 2021 9:09 pm

spideyboy1111 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:44 pm
Misfit wrote:

awesome! :) hope it goes up when i can notice
I saw NECA posted the link to their Instagram Story. Does anyone know if there were any in stock at any point today?
Popoman
CROM?

Thu May 06, 2021 10:05 pm

I've already got the frogs but for future reference, how do I set an alert?

Return to “The Sewer Lair: The Unofficial Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Board”