If a New Movie is Made, and There Are New Toys....

The place to talk about ThunderCats toys from all the companies!
Year 2 Robin
I *heart* Wal*Mart

If a New Movie is Made, and There Are New Toys....

Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:52 am

...Who do you think would have the license? Do you think it might be shared?

-What do you think the figures will look like?

-What scale do you think they would be in?

Obviously, this is all hypothetical, and meant to start a conversation for fun. 8)
TheCollector1999
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: If a New Movie is Made, and There Are New Toys....

Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:16 am

Mattel for sure would get it. And do something similar to what they are doing with motu right now just on a smaller scale
Unclassified
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:39 am

They will be mass retail crap. Maker who knows but they will be crap.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Dr Baghead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:47 am

-Who do you think would have the license?
Depends on audience for movie, if it’s a baby movie for babies; Moose Toys. If it’s an attempt at the generic crowd pleasing all ages fare of the MCU; Jazzwares. If it’s a serious movie for serious adults; McFarlane. And if it’s a very adult movie for very adults; Bad Dragon.

-Do you think it might be shared?
No, in fact the rights holders for the movie license will have such strict hold that if Super7 fails to get any pre-ordered figures out before the movie is released they will legally have to issue full refunds on and cancel all pre-orders except Captain Crackers, because if pre-ordered Captain Crackers you don’t deserve your $60 back.

-What do you think the figures will look like?
The movie designs

... so shitty, they’ll look shitty.

-What scale do you think they would be in?
5 inches, because God is an lie we tell ourselves to give the illusion of order in the horrifying chaos that is existence... also fun cheaper 12 inch “Titan” style figures, you know, fun stuff for kids!
Year 2 Robin
I *heart* Wal*Mart

Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:36 pm

I guess I just want to believe that decent Thundercats figures can be made and sold for UNDER 30 bucks a pop. And I'm not talking abut Funko Pops, cartoony minis with tiny legs and big torsos, or some lame, egg shaped things with Thundercats faces painted on them.

I want somewhat cartoony/somewhat realistic figures with at least 9 POAs, and that doesn't seem unreasonable. But, oh well....there's plenty of other stuff out there to buy if it doesn't actually happen.
Chooch
Avengers Assemble

Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:06 pm

Year 2 Robin wrote:
I guess I just want to believe that decent Thundercats figures can be made and sold for UNDER 30 bucks a pop. And I'm not talking abut Funko Pops, cartoony minis with tiny legs and big torsos, or some lame, egg shaped things with Thundercats faces painted on them.

I want somewhat cartoony/somewhat realistic figures with at least 9 POAs, and that doesn't seem unreasonable. But, oh well....there's plenty of other stuff out there to buy if it doesn't actually happen.
Yes to all of this. I can't believe Super 7 can stay in business with their prices. Almost as much as I can't believe that a Thundercats "Classics" has never completed even the base team from a large toy maker.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:30 am

Dr Baghead wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:47 am
if it’s a very adult movie for very adults; Bad Dragon.
Year 2 Robin
I *heart* Wal*Mart

Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:41 am

Chooch wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:06 pm
Yes to all of this. I can't believe Super 7 can stay in business with their prices. Almost as much as I can't believe that a Thundercats "Classics" has never completed even the base team from a large toy maker.
Yeah....I just can't do action figures that cost almost 45 bucks a piece without shipping!! Can you just give me the figure with 1 weapon, and no extra head?? Then mail it to me loose with 10 bucks knocked off!!

I had a little hope with Savage World, but that fizzled out. Then, I was hoping the Cats would turn up in MCX Heroes, but that's not happening, either.

Sheesh!! :evil:
Dr Baghead
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:33 am

Year 2 Robin wrote:
I guess I just want to believe that decent Thundercats figures can be made and sold for UNDER 30 bucks a pop.
If Gargoyles can support a $30 retail line, so can Thundercats.

I think it’s crazy Thundercats and MotU are so linked in the greater culture’s minds when the shows share no linked history. Maybe they aired together on the same channel in your area, but Thundercats and He-Man weren’t created by the same toy company, animation studio, comic artist... they just happen to be two different shows airing at the same time about oily, muscular, half-nude men fighting oily, muscular, half-nude, blue, skeleton faced men and everyone just decided “these guys should hang out!” If someone makes a cool new He-Man or Thundercats toy, the first question they’ll get is “so any plans for Thundercats or He-Man next?!” while Bravestar and/or the Silverhawks look on like the dejected lady in that ‘wandering boyfriend’ meme from ages ago.

The point I’m getting at is, the fact Mattel owns Masters and gets to dictate what style and form a Masters toy line takes [email protected]#$ over anyone who wants to make Thundercats toys.

When Bandai made their Thundercats Classics, they were pretty good! Fairly on model, nicely articulated... the problem was they didn’t match MotU Classics so a lot of people complained (though I will counter, as the two series had never officially crossed over by that point, nothing says Bandai’s line of Thunderians being 8 feet tall extra lanky cat people in the MotU world wasn’t as valid as He-man and Lion-O being the same height.) so instead of making two new characters in the larger scale, Bandai course corrected and made two now out of scale by being two small characters... and then the 200X Thundercats was canceled so the kids line anchoring the classics line died and Bandai just gave up.

If Mattel had gotten the license back when the TCats reboot aired instead of Bandai, they could made some shitty kids toys for the new show and folded Classic TCats into MotU Classics while that line still had some gas left, MotU fans who just completed their main cast would have a reason to keep collecting now that a bunch of new core characters had been introduced into the line, and we’d have had our $30 TCats.

Instead Mattel waited until MotU was dead and thought maybe TCats could replace it... then decided it wasn’t worth their efforts.

Then Super7 tried for years to get the license, but cost of toy making has gone up... and let’s face it Super7, bless their hearts, is kind of in over their heads, so these $20 figures cost $60 because they’d rather make them to order then risk extra stock exist for someone who missed a pre-order window.

When the new movie comes out I could see McF getting the license (it’s a Warner license after all) or less likely but NECA would also knock it out of the park (tying it back to Gargoyles, I was admiring my Ming figure and thought who kick ass the TCats would look on this buck.) and there would be a $20-30 mass market TCats line again that would be very good... but I bet the first reactions on line are all “doesn’t fit with Masterverse! LAME! SUCKS!” and if Mattel gets the license and makes Mastersverse styled figure... my God have mercy on us all.
Chooch
Avengers Assemble

Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:18 pm

I have no need for T-Cats and MOTU to be in scale/style with each other. I really had hope for Bandai as I enjoyed their Classics and the smaller line for the new show was also great with beautiful vehicles.
MollyMillions
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:58 pm

Since you just want a fantasy discussion, I'd want McFarlane to get it. They're WB, right?

I have faith Todd would at least get us the core squad of the adults and a core villain.

And on the WB front, whatever your thoughts on the movies are, I've felt they nailed the production and costume design with the DCEU and now Mortal Kombat. Certainly they don't stray as far as the MCU adopting the Ultimates Utilitarian Look on everything. I have faith they'd generally look as good as live-action barbarian cat people could be, design wise, and Todd would carry those outrageous designs to perfection in plastic.

And that puts us at a 7" scale, with crappy thigh swivel. For $25ish bucks.

Better than the alternatives, for my tastes and money.
Rex Mason
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:54 pm

I don't have need for any other ThunderCats figures aside from Super 7's Ultimates. I don't collect everything ThunderCats, just this particular line. I want really nice deluxe figures, and $45 isn't crazy for that. I'm really happy with my mummy Mumm-Ra and although the wait is rough, I'm looking forward to having the others in hand. I love all the extra head options and accessories and while sure, I'd rather pay $30, I think the made-to-order aspect of this series will allow them to go much deeper than regular retail.

Designs from the other two cartoons or the new movie don't have that nostalgic appeal to me, as I'm really picky with what I collect for these characters. Ultimates is the line I've been waiting for since I was a little kid.
Year 2 Robin
I *heart* Wal*Mart

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:17 pm

MollyMillions wrote:
Since you just want a fantasy discussion, I'd want McFarlane to get it. They're WB, right?
Truthfully, I would prefer McFarlane get the license. He's my first choice.
MollyMillions wrote:
I have faith they'd generally look as good as live-action barbarian cat people could be, design wise, and Todd would carry those outrageous designs to perfection in plastic.
From what I understand, Wingard wants the movie to be a blend of CGI and animation. He doesn't actually want it to be live action, which I think is a great idea.
MollyMillions wrote:
And that puts us at a 7" scale, with crappy thigh swivel. For $25ish bucks.
That would work for me, and S7 could still do the more 'high-end' versions.
Year 2 Robin
I *heart* Wal*Mart

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:21 pm

Chooch wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:18 pm
I have no need for T-Cats and MOTU to be in scale/style with each other. I really had hope for Bandai as I enjoyed their Classics and the smaller line for the new show was also great with beautiful vehicles.
Hey Chooch, long time no see!!

Honestly, I would have been fine with Bandai 8"ers if that line had actually kept going. Hell...I would have been fine with Bandai 6"ers, too. I agree that they don't have to be 'interchangable' with MOTU.
Year 2 Robin
I *heart* Wal*Mart

Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:41 pm

Dr Baghead wrote:
If Gargoyles can support a $30 retail line, so can Thundercats.
Thank you!
Dr Baghead wrote:
I think it’s crazy Thundercats and MotU are so linked in the greater culture’s minds when the shows share no linked history....they just happen to be two different shows airing at the same time about oily, muscular, half-nude men fighting oily, muscular, half-nude, blue, skeleton faced men and everyone just decided “these guys should hang out!”
Stop it!! You're getting me excited! :lol:

All joking aside, you do make a good point. To me, they seem like sort of similar properties. They both involve magic swords, various melee weapons, musclebound humanoid characters with animalistic traits, bombastic 'headquarters', cutesy sidekicks, buckets full of fantasy elements, but technically, they are not linked in any way.

As for me, I would be fine with a 4" Thundercats line. I don't care about anything matching up. I just want to own 8 to 12 different Thundercats figures, period. Not just Lion-O, Panthro, and Tygra from 30 different failed lines.

I agree that most people will probably cry foul if they are 4" or 5" scale. They really want these to blend in with MOTU.

Return to “Cats Lair: The Unofficial ThunderCats Forum”