Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

The place to talk about ThunderCats toys from all the companies!
User avatar
Rex Mason
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2359
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:00 am

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Mon May 23, 2022 8:06 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 9:51 pm

Definitely think it's important to look at everything in its time and respective to what was normal when it was new. Like I said above - the Bandai stuff was almost universally liked and praised. I recall a few people even sayin the 8" Lion-O was a perfect Lion-O figure and would be hard to ever match. Then technology changes... taste changes... expectations change, whatever. At least Bandai tried to be current when they made their figures, instead of relying on a 20-year-old base body and charging more than 100% more than that same style of figure cost when it was first introduced.

As for price - I mean.. yeah. We are where we are and I think as more 'Deluxe' MLs start pushing into that near-50 range, it'll give S7 the minimal justification/excuse they need to crank out another price increase and say 'well, what can you really get for less than X nowadays?! We're so deluxe and special.. look at all the extra hands we include."

Bandai is doing interesting things right now, that's for sure. I like the idea that they want to make SHF-adjacent product. Something reminiscent with a slightly lower price tag that might be more palatable than current import pricing. They understand the niche they're going for.
The thing is, this line has always been a continuation of the Mattel series. We knew that going in, so it's odd to complain about it now as if it's a new direction. If anything, Super7 has been trying to move away from that template, yet keeping the figures close enough in style so that they all look still blend together on a shelf.

As for the price issue, Super7 is definitely not 100% more than Mattel. Mattel's figures cost $30 each if you were a member of the Third Earth Club. $35 if you opted out of the additional $30 membership cost. Matty Collector's shipping was awful. Mine ended up being somewhere in the realm of $10-12. BBTS would get some in so you could take advantage of their lower shipping cost, but they were marked up to a higher price to reflect that. And then some figures (like the kittens) were convention exclusives with a higher price point and an exceptionally higher resale price if you couldn't make it out to SDCC. I know I payed over $100 for the set.

Adjusted for inflation from 2016, and the Third Earth figures including shipping were around $44-49 in today's money. So Super7 (especially if you use BBTS pile of loot shipping) is nearly the exact same price. Each figure now comes with an additional head, and nearly every one of them comes with more accessories. Lion-O's accurate claw shield has been the biggest draw for me, especially since he can insert and remove his Sword of Omens from it. That's exactly the figure I wanted since I was a kid.

Is the articulation too limited? Is Tygra a subpar offering? I'd say yes to both. But the articulation is exactly what we signed up for, as is the style. If anything, the style has even improved. And the quality control isn't perfect, by Tygra is the exception rather than the rule.

While the Lion-O from Bandai was a nice looking figure and captured his taller look a bit better, it pales in comparison to Super7's overall product. Bandai's mismatched line was on deep discount nearly immediately after it came out (I know, because that's how I bought mine at TRU), and the its poor sales helped lead to the cancellation of the reboot show. I don't know how you can place it on an even playing field with Mattel, let alone Super7.
User avatar
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 16354
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:17 am

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Mon May 23, 2022 9:26 pm

Rex Mason wrote: The thing is, this line has always been a continuation of the Mattel series. We knew that going in, so it's odd to complain about it now as if it's a new direction.
You say that like some of us didn't complain about it very early on. Also, look, I'd complain about it if Mattel's Masterverse figures had been just a rehash of Classics, but at a higher price point.
Marvel Legends 2022 is a continuation of Marvel Legends 2002. They're not still using the exact same bodies. It's a poor argument. Hell, at this point S7 is on track to have completely replaced anything Mattel did (I think only the kittens are missing now, right?). Which means sticking to using a very outdated body wasn't actually necessary because the line isn't really a continuation of Mattel's line once it becomes a replacement for it. And don't tell me there's no way to engineer a MOTUC-adjacent buck that's, you know.. better, and more modern. After all, toylines adjust engineering and articulation plenty without sacrificing cohesion (at least right away).
And I'd buy the 'but it's a continuation' excuse a lot easier if they didn't also decide He-Man's body was great for Arnie-Conan, which is literally absolutely the [email protected]#$ not. We know what it's actually all about.

Also, when the figures feel like they sometimes come out with worse articulation than the better of MOTUC, then how do we continue to give them the 'well, they're in the MOTUC style just like the first round' excuse? In 2022, if you're going to be doing MOTUC-style figures, you could at least be doing them at a consistently high level of functionality and quality. These figures should articulation better, and -feel- better, and work better overall than any MOTUC figure that exists. Period. If you're going to be carrying the 'figures from 2008' banner into 2022, you should be making the absolute best figures from 2008 that is possible. Every time.

Rex Mason wrote: As for the price issue, Super7 is definitely not 100% more than Mattel.
Yes, they are. Note that I said 100% more when those -bodies- were introduced. That's MOTUC, not Third Earth. When the original He-Man base body we're still seeing here was introduced, it was 20 USD. I was there, Gandalf.
The current v2 Lion-O, using the same engineering/style of body with minimal updates (and being a THIRD time release for this particular figure, more or less) is 50 USD. More than 100% more.

That no one thinks that's insane is, itself, a little insane to me.


Rex Mason wrote: Adjusted for inflation from 2016, and the Third Earth figures including shipping were around $44-49 in today's money. So Super7 (especially if you use BBTS pile of loot shipping) is nearly the exact same price.
C'mon.

Adjusting for inflation, that 30 dollar figure (which was actually based on a 20 dollar figure's parts and engineering) would be 36 dollars and change. S7 is charging 50 now. Before shipping. That's the headline. Not dancing around 'well, IF you get it from here, and IF you use POL, and IF you use it enough to spread the cost across enough figures...'

I get what you're saying, don't get me wrong. The point wasn't 'oh, look how expensive these are, Super7 sucks.' It was 'they're relying on VERY old engineering and base parts but charging significantly more than those things used to cost.' It's about what S7 is willing to put in versus what they want. I'm not necessarily angry about the price itself, but the amount of effort and care they're willing to put in to justify it.

Rex Mason wrote: Lion-O's accurate claw shield has been the biggest draw for me, especially since he can insert and remove his Sword of Omens from it. That's exactly the figure I wanted since I was a kid.
No, I get that. I'm there with you. There's a LOT that I like about Lion-O, even before the new pinless one comes out. I go back and forth on whether I should get it all the time. But that's not a statement about quality. That's 'this only exists here and this THING means a lot to me, even if it's not as good as it could be.'
I bought the HELL out of Ages of Action because I always wanted a toyline like that. They weren't amazing figures, even for their time. The fact that they still offered me something I desperately wanted doesn't change that.
Rex Mason wrote: While the Lion-O from Bandai was a nice looking figure and captured his taller look a bit better, it pales in comparison to Super7's overall product. Bandai's mismatched line was on deep discount nearly immediately after it came out (I know, because that's how I bought mine at TRU), and the its poor sales helped lead to the cancellation of the reboot show. I don't know how you can place it on an even playing field with Mattel, let alone Super7.
I've very clearly explained it already. At this point it's just 'I don't agree, so I'm going to keep saying that I don't understand.'
"2+2=4"
"I don't understand how you think that!"

It's a circular argument. If you want to know how I can place them in the same field, go read what I already said about doing exactly that.

I will say the clearance thing is.. well.. what it is. This was before the HUGE boom in 'nerd toys' at places like TRU and Walmart. A lot of that stuff just didn't really have a place at retail yet and lots of lines failed to catch on. Marvel Legends got cancelled at one point. Marvel Universe failed as well - when it was making the best figures it had EVER made, in fact. The new-cartoon figures were pretty nice and matched the source well, and those failed right alongside the cartoon itself. LOTS of things have failed at retail for lots of reasons.
I don't think 'ThunderCats failed at retail' is a statement about the toys. It's a statement that ThunderCats doesn't have the level of appeal it needs to be successful. Like.. S7 is making Silverhawks. You think Silverhawks figures on pegs at Walmart 15 years ago wouldn't have just absolutely bombed in the most hilariously epic way? Different world now.


But look, all this isn't to say people can't like S7 figures. Or should feel bad about buying them, or whatever. I don't know why people feel the need to jump to the defense of these lines when all I'm saying is that I'd like to see them do better. That benefits everyone, in my opinion.
canprime
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:43 pm

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Mon May 23, 2022 9:39 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:26 pm
Rex Mason wrote: The thing is, this line has always been a continuation of the Mattel series. We knew that going in, so it's odd to complain about it now as if it's a new direction.
You say that like some of us didn't complain about it very early on. Also, look, I'd complain about it if Mattel's Masterverse figures had been just a rehash of Classics, but at a higher price point.
Marvel Legends 2022 is a continuation of Marvel Legends 2002. They're not still using the exact same bodies. It's a poor argument. Hell, at this point S7 is on track to have completely replaced anything Mattel did (I think only the kittens are missing now, right?). Which means sticking to using a very outdated body wasn't actually necessary because the line isn't really a continuation of Mattel's line once it becomes a replacement for it. And don't tell me there's no way to engineer a MOTUC-adjacent buck that's, you know.. better, and more modern. After all, toylines adjust engineering and articulation plenty without sacrificing cohesion (at least right away).
And I'd buy the 'but it's a continuation' excuse a lot easier if they didn't also decide He-Man's body was great for Arnie-Conan, which is literally absolutely the [email protected]#$ not. We know what it's actually all about.

Also, when the figures feel like they sometimes come out with worse articulation than the better of MOTUC, then how do we continue to give them the 'well, they're in the MOTUC style just like the first round' excuse? In 2022, if you're going to be doing MOTUC-style figures, you could at least be doing them at a consistently high level of functionality and quality. These figures should articulation better, and -feel- better, and work better overall than any MOTUC figure that exists. Period. If you're going to be carrying the 'figures from 2008' banner into 2022, you should be making the absolute best figures from 2008 that is possible. Every time.

Rex Mason wrote: As for the price issue, Super7 is definitely not 100% more than Mattel.
Yes, they are. Note that I said 100% more when those -bodies- were introduced. That's MOTUC, not Third Earth. When the original He-Man base body we're still seeing here was introduced, it was 20 USD. I was there, Gandalf.
The current v2 Lion-O, using the same engineering/style of body with minimal updates (and being a THIRD time release for this particular figure, more or less) is 50 USD. More than 100% more.

That no one thinks that's insane is, itself, a little insane to me.


Rex Mason wrote: Adjusted for inflation from 2016, and the Third Earth figures including shipping were around $44-49 in today's money. So Super7 (especially if you use BBTS pile of loot shipping) is nearly the exact same price.
C'mon.

Adjusting for inflation, that 30 dollar figure (which was actually based on a 20 dollar figure's parts and engineering) would be 36 dollars and change. S7 is charging 50 now. Before shipping. That's the headline. Not dancing around 'well, IF you get it from here, and IF you use POL, and IF you use it enough to spread the cost across enough figures...'

I get what you're saying, don't get me wrong. The point wasn't 'oh, look how expensive these are, Super7 sucks.' It was 'they're relying on VERY old engineering and base parts but charging significantly more than those things used to cost.' It's about what S7 is willing to put in versus what they want. I'm not necessarily angry about the price itself, but the amount of effort and care they're willing to put in to justify it.

Rex Mason wrote: Lion-O's accurate claw shield has been the biggest draw for me, especially since he can insert and remove his Sword of Omens from it. That's exactly the figure I wanted since I was a kid.
No, I get that. I'm there with you. There's a LOT that I like about Lion-O, even before the new pinless one comes out. I go back and forth on whether I should get it all the time. But that's not a statement about quality. That's 'this only exists here and this THING means a lot to me, even if it's not as good as it could be.'
I bought the HELL out of Ages of Action because I always wanted a toyline like that. They weren't amazing figures, even for their time. The fact that they still offered me something I desperately wanted doesn't change that.
Rex Mason wrote: While the Lion-O from Bandai was a nice looking figure and captured his taller look a bit better, it pales in comparison to Super7's overall product. Bandai's mismatched line was on deep discount nearly immediately after it came out (I know, because that's how I bought mine at TRU), and the its poor sales helped lead to the cancellation of the reboot show. I don't know how you can place it on an even playing field with Mattel, let alone Super7.
I've very clearly explained it already. At this point it's just 'I don't agree, so I'm going to keep saying that I don't understand.'
"2+2=4"
"I don't understand how you think that!"

It's a circular argument. If you want to know how I can place them in the same field, go read what I already said about doing exactly that.

I will say the clearance thing is.. well.. what it is. This was before the HUGE boom in 'nerd toys' at places like TRU and Walmart. A lot of that stuff just didn't really have a place at retail yet and lots of lines failed to catch on. Marvel Legends got cancelled at one point. Marvel Universe failed as well - when it was making the best figures it had EVER made, in fact. The new-cartoon figures were pretty nice and matched the source well, and those failed right alongside the cartoon itself. LOTS of things have failed at retail for lots of reasons.
I don't think 'ThunderCats failed at retail' is a statement about the toys. It's a statement that ThunderCats doesn't have the level of appeal it needs to be successful. Like.. S7 is making Silverhawks. You think Silverhawks figures on pegs at Walmart 15 years ago wouldn't have just absolutely bombed in the most hilariously epic way? Different world now.


But look, all this isn't to say people can't like S7 figures. Or should feel bad about buying them, or whatever. I don't know why people feel the need to jump to the defense of these lines when all I'm saying is that I'd like to see them do better. That benefits everyone, in my opinion.
Also it isn't like Super7 is above making changes to the molds as time has gone by, I mean Red Lion-O is coming with pinless joints, and most of the new waves are the same. Also they aren't above going back to adjust a mold that doesn't look right (Cheetara).

Unfortunately it is a choice made by Super7, or maybe more specifically Brian. He has stated in previous interviews that they prefer the cleaner look of few POAs compared to lots of POAs that break up a figures outline. It is a preference choice on their part, and probably a bit economic as well.

I like the Ultimates line, but there are a lot of problems with it and the two aren't necessarily exclusive, but I guess I just live with the cognitive dissonance of the situation. However I won't be going out of my way to say it is the best ever. :D
User avatar
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 16354
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:17 am

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Mon May 23, 2022 9:46 pm

canprime wrote: but I guess I just live with the cognitive dissonance of the situation. However I won't be going out of my way to say it is the best ever. :D
Absolutely. A thing can be good without being great. A thing can even be enjoyed without being good. People can like things without defending them endlessly as if they have no issues. I know. I like power metal and the TV show Renegade. I'm the poster child for 'well, it's kind of trash but I love it anyway.'
User avatar
Rex Mason
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2359
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:00 am

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Mon May 23, 2022 10:06 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:46 pm
canprime wrote: but I guess I just live with the cognitive dissonance of the situation. However I won't be going out of my way to say it is the best ever. :D
Absolutely. A thing can be good without being great. A thing can even be enjoyed without being good. People can like things without defending them endlessly as if they have no issues. I know. I like power metal and the TV show Renegade. I'm the poster child for 'well, it's kind of trash but I love it anyway.'
I very clearly pointed out the only issues I find with the line (Tygra, lack of articulation). I don't have blinders on. Your post was in response to me praising the series, saying it was the best ThunderCats line ever, which it very much is. I'll defend my statement and have the same right to say it as you do using my comment as a springboard to complain about the line repeatedly. My post was meant to celebrate this series.

Again, you can't say Super7 is more expensive if you don't consider Matty's outrageous shipping prices. ThunderCats doesn't work at retail as you mentioned, so made-to-order is the option right now. Since the majority of main characters have been $45, the sticker shock doesn't bother me as much. I would buy more if they were McFarlane prices, but Lion-O is no Batman, so this is what we're stuck with.

I get that people have issues with this line, but I'd much rather hear from those enjoying a toyline that is producing the best selection of figures since LJN. If this series isn't for you, that sucks, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it. There are so many options when posing these guys thanks to the boatload of accessories, I love mixing up my display every few days. Toys are meant to be fun, and these are just that for me and well worth the price tag. Sorry your experience is different.
User avatar
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1611
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:46 pm

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Mon May 23, 2022 10:08 pm

My view on Ultimates, Super7 will always put the sculpt before the articulation. It is what it is, we know that going in. You don't buy a SUV expecting it to drive fast. You don't buy dress shoes and expect to be able to run in them. You shouldn't buy Ultimates and expect what we consider "standard" articulation.

That said, they really should look into updating the articulation, at least a little. I understand maybe not having the ab articulation because that would break up the design. But double jointed elbows is not distracting and doesn't really effect the aesthetic much. Little things like that would go a long way to making their figures a lot more enjoyable.

Stuff like Thundercats, Ninja Turtles if you want the toy looks, we have no other options, so if we want modern figures, we'll pay the Super7 prices. But for stuff like GI Joe where you have the great Classified figures for half the price, or Transformers where you have a ton of other options, I don't know how successful Super7 will be unless they start to listen to the customers.
User avatar
TheCollector1999
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: An Abandoned Toys R Us
Posts: 3108
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Mon May 23, 2022 10:28 pm

Yeah I recently dropped a lot of my preorders from bbts for super 7 ultimate figures. It’s just disappointing looking at things like transformers and thundercats that arn’t really up to the name ultimates. However Super 7 does do a good job on figures like turtles and their cartoon lines so I think I’ll just focus on them. So once I get the main crew I’ll be done with this line
User avatar
Rex Mason
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2359
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:00 am

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Mon May 23, 2022 10:37 pm

TENIME_art wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 3:55 pm
I'm not cancelling her, I'll wait until she's in MY hands for a final assessment, but comparing the promo photos on BBTS right now to that "literally in someone's hand" photo that was just revealed, Cheetara looked amazing before, and looks pretty bad now. All IMO.

Welp, got my first Mattel duplicate. Still can't find Pumyra on Amazon, but the rest dropped down to $44. However, my local collectible shop got Lion-O & Panthro in, and I had store credit, which meant one would only cost me $38, and as soon as I noticed that Super 7 did the opposite colors for Panthro's spinning chucks, I grabbed him.

Image
(Picture taken Friday night, obviously :lol:)

God, I love that, haha.

He's still dual-wielding on the shelf, but I did switch the handles back, so each side is still red/blue, instead of matching like in the photo there.

"But he only had one pair!" Don't care. This looks awesome. And I will always prefer "looks good" over "source accurate."

Had to watch ToyBro's V1 review to figure out why he came with the same grip hands twice over (still don't understand, but at least now I know it's not just my V2 copy). Probably gonna glue some fingers down for fists. Also, watching his review, I'm glad mine has the right shorts. It's obviously more source accurate, but it also looks better than the lighter colored panties.

And thank you again to Optimuslivs4evr for the lit-eyes head! I'd never tried to put it on the Matty figure, but after busting it out for this photo, HOO-BOY, skintones don't match, haha. So I'm happy to have a body that does match, finally!
I used to have the Mattel version, but sold him on ebay for $50 when I decided to upgrade to Super7's. I kept the other spinning effect, and am really happy I did. I probably won't display him with both, but I love the option to mix it up on my shelf.
User avatar
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 3648
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:02 am

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Mon May 23, 2022 11:24 pm

I never really went and compared the "In hand" Cheetara Super7 just showed to the one shown on BBTS, but damn! I had no idea it was so different. The overall body and attire are the same, but it's the head sculpt. The eyes, the shape of the face, just everything about the head and face on the sample shown on BBTS looks perfect, whereas the one in hand at Super7 on their youtube channel looks so.........lacking and cheap.

Very disappointing. they keep having issue after issue with the ThunderCats it seems.
User avatar
darkmoon766
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 4:53 am

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Tue May 24, 2022 12:20 am

Super Camel wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:24 pm
I never really went and compared the "In hand" Cheetara Super7 just showed to the one shown on BBTS, but damn! I had no idea it was so different. The overall body and attire are the same, but it's the head sculpt. The eyes, the shape of the face, just everything about the head and face on the sample shown on BBTS looks perfect, whereas the one in hand at Super7 on their youtube channel looks so.........lacking and cheap.

Very disappointing. they keep having issue after issue with the ThunderCats it seems.
If you look closer at the shape of the torso you will see just how much dumpier the in hand one is. The Prototype looks like a Cat lady that "Might" be able to run 100mph. The in hand one looks like it "Might" be able to reshelve books in a library. At least it is symmetrical and the hips don't flare out ALL the way to the side.

It appears that the toy version of wave 6 will have that same dumpy torso. But there is "hope" :lol: that the heads won't suck since they are different from the toon version.
bharrisfan
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:48 am

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Tue May 24, 2022 4:52 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 8:51 pm
Zombie F-Body wrote: Still if Super 7 raises prices in lock-step, I'm out.
Aren't they doing exactly that? Unless I'm mistaken, they've already gone from 45 to 55. I can't imagine that's the end of it, and that is already a HUGE increase in a very short amount of time.

Burkion wrote: Tygra is considerably less accurate if that's what you're grading these by but not *the worst* considering Super7 have their own issues.
Less accurate but moves -way- better and is probably sturdier in the long run as well. That's the problem, though; people want to go to bat for S7, so they skew what -counts- and what -doesn't count- in favor of S7. But subjectively speaking.. neither figure is better than the other if they're both not really -great- figures. If you're comparing the different things they get wrong and trying to decide which is more objectionable.. well...

Burkion wrote: And then you're out of your mind if you go any further than that. Not only is the scale weird with other lines, after Lion-O it's [email protected]#$ In Its Own Line. Not even touching how Mumm-Ra looks. Or 6 inch Lion-O who is just
How Mumm-Ra looks? He's at least the correct color. Lots fewer accessories but I mean, you're talking about a figure that retailed for like 14 dollars or less. Honestly, I liked both the 6" figures and the 8" Lion-O. I didn't -love- them. But I don't love what S7 is doing either. I do -prefer- the look of the S7 figures, personally. So again.. it's not an objective measure of 'this is definitely better.' Especially when you look at the huge cost disparity.


Of course, as a -line- and not figure-to-figure, S7 is superior just in scope. Bandai never gave us even close to a complete line-up anywhere beyond maybe the revival 4" line.

bharrisfan wrote: There’s no universe where you can argue the bandai figs are equal to s7 in any way. Only maybe bandai’s articulation was better. If you have a soft spot for bandai that’s one thing but hold the figures in each hand. Objectively there’s no comparison.
I just did compare them, so you're wrong. Objectively.
And you don't know what 'objectively' means. Double bummer, huh?

Joking aside, as I said above, I don't have any great affection for the Bandai stuff. Nor do I have great affection for S7. Directly comparing them figure-to-figure, they're obviously super different -- they're both stylized in very different directions, for example, and I have no doubt there's someone out there that really likes the more angular look of the Bandai figures just as there's definitely people that like the puffy MOTU look. It's also worth noting that one of the main complaints I've seen about these figures as an overall line is NOT wanting them to be on MOTU bodies, so... there's that. The whole point is that they're different enough and have different appealing aspects that saying one is -better- is really just a subjective statement of preference.

Some people are going to prefer one thing over another. It's like saying that Gallery Statues are better than Marvel Legends. If you don't care -at all- about articulation, but you really care about sturdiness or seamless design, they're great. Or you could say Hot Toys are superior to Star Wars Black Series -- yeah, if the realistic fabric and great faces means more to you than being able to pose your toy without fear... they're great. But for a lot of people, they're actually not superior.

A great example of this is G.I. Joe, where a certain segment of the fanbase has never abandoned the O-Ring figures that they consider superior to anything else. That's the style and expression they like and it has appeal to them for whatever reason. If the 25A or Modern Era figures were -objectively- better figures, why would anyone bother keeping the old ones?

And let's be real; if a different company gets the TCats license ten years from now and makes figures using whatever is the current, cool toy technology/style at that time, people will all of a sudden look back on S7 and be like 'oh, those figures were AAAAAWFUL' just like some people will do now with the fairly old Bandai figures despite them being largely praised at the time of their release - just like S7 TCats are now. The needle is always moving.
triple bummer for you as a s7 hater. odd that you're all over this s7 ultimate board. go sleep with your bandais. good night baby boy
User avatar
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 3648
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:02 am

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Tue May 24, 2022 4:53 am

darkmoon766 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 12:20 am
Super Camel wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:24 pm
I never really went and compared the "In hand" Cheetara Super7 just showed to the one shown on BBTS, but damn! I had no idea it was so different. The overall body and attire are the same, but it's the head sculpt. The eyes, the shape of the face, just everything about the head and face on the sample shown on BBTS looks perfect, whereas the one in hand at Super7 on their youtube channel looks so.........lacking and cheap.

Very disappointing. they keep having issue after issue with the ThunderCats it seems.
If you look closer at the shape of the torso you will see just how much dumpier the in hand one is. The Prototype looks like a Cat lady that "Might" be able to run 100mph. The in hand one looks like it "Might" be able to reshelve books in a library. At least it is symmetrical and the hips don't flare out ALL the way to the side.

It appears that the toy version of wave 6 will have that same dumpy torso. But there is "hope" :lol: that the heads won't suck since they are different from the toon version.
LOL. I see what you mean. It's too bad really. Some of this has been so annoying with this ThunderCats line. You see a sample of something and it looks perfect, but then something goes wrong and it's not what you pre ordered.

Between the high prices and then some of these issues, which have mainly just been with T-Cats (and seem to be getting better in Super7's new factory), and figures of live action/real life people and characters, it makes you take stock. And I know that no figure or figure line is perfect. But at $55 or more a figure, I feel there should be way less mistakes.


I do really like Super7, and I love the properties they can make Ultimate's of. And overall, everything seems to get better as they make more and more figures. But for the sake of those of us who do support them, and for the sake of Super7's growth, I hope they keep improving, and can start avoiding some of these mistakes.
Burkion
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:14 pm

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Tue May 24, 2022 7:24 am

Super Camel wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 4:53 am

Also, and I know this is the T-Cats thread, but for the GI Joe Ultimate's, they recently showed The BAT in and out of package on a Youtube video. The figure looked really cool, but for $55 it didn't look any better or worse than the Hasbro BAT that was only $25. The Super7 version may have had more accessories (mainly extra hands), but do I really need to spend all this money just for the cartoon aesthetic when for half the cost I can get the Hasbro figures of all the same characters?
What video?
User avatar
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 3648
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:02 am

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Tue May 24, 2022 7:44 am

Burkion wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:24 am
Super Camel wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 4:53 am

Also, and I know this is the T-Cats thread, but for the GI Joe Ultimate's, they recently showed The BAT in and out of package on a Youtube video. The figure looked really cool, but for $55 it didn't look any better or worse than the Hasbro BAT that was only $25. The Super7 version may have had more accessories (mainly extra hands), but do I really need to spend all this money just for the cartoon aesthetic when for half the cost I can get the Hasbro figures of all the same characters?
What video?
This one right here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPNIJNXy01o&t=2896s
Burkion
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:14 pm

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Tue May 24, 2022 9:50 am

Super Camel wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:44 am
Burkion wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:24 am
Super Camel wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 4:53 am

Also, and I know this is the T-Cats thread, but for the GI Joe Ultimate's, they recently showed The BAT in and out of package on a Youtube video. The figure looked really cool, but for $55 it didn't look any better or worse than the Hasbro BAT that was only $25. The Super7 version may have had more accessories (mainly extra hands), but do I really need to spend all this money just for the cartoon aesthetic when for half the cost I can get the Hasbro figures of all the same characters?
What video?
This one right here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPNIJNXy01o&t=2896s
Thanks

That's interesting, I wonder if these are the production samples being reviewed. They're further along than I thought the tracker said they were

Return to “Cats Lair: The Unofficial ThunderCats Forum”