Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

The place to talk about ThunderCats toys from all the companies!
User avatar
Rex Mason
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 2365
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:00 am

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Thu May 19, 2022 2:58 am

I know there are nits to pick with this line, and some of them legitimate, but man, I'm having so much fun with them. The only issue I've gotten so far is a blotch on one of my Tygra heads, and BBTS gave me $25 store credit to make up for it. So I just use the other head for now. Not a perfect solution, but not a huge deal either. Especially as I'm holding out hope to display my set with glowing eyes.

These are literally the best ThunderCat figures ever made, and I don't know how so many of you guys aren't enjoying them. The Mutants and Mumm-Ra sculpts are all exceptional, and the Cats themselves are so much better than the retro figures, Bandai offerings, and most of the statues out there. The team looks fantastic together, and I for one and really enjoying the loads of show-accurate accessories. Love how Cheetara is shaping up, too.

I haven't had this much fun playing with the figures on my desk for years. These is the ThunderCat line I always wanted as a kid.
User avatar
FlexionDynamo
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: CT
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:47 pm

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Thu May 19, 2022 3:25 pm

Today is the day friends. Big ole Box will be arriving!

***
Now I'm staring at the box on my sec cam waiting to sneak out of work around lunch time.

O_o
User avatar
Leonardo T Dragon
Runs Around in Tights
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:17 pm

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Thu May 19, 2022 5:20 pm

FlexionDynamo wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 3:25 pm
Today is the day friends. Big ole Box will be arriving!

Now I'm staring at the box on my sec cam waiting to sneak out of work around lunch time.


So what you're saying is that the Thundercats were on the move and tonight the Thundercats will be loose?

(I'll show myself out.)
User avatar
FlexionDynamo
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: CT
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:47 pm

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Thu May 19, 2022 6:12 pm

Bro..... :0

I snuck out at lunch and grabbed the box. No reason to leave hundreds of dollars on the porch.

Now im feeling very very impatient to be done with work.
User avatar
FlexionDynamo
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: CT
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:47 pm

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Fri May 20, 2022 3:33 am

On Monkian:

Amazing figure.

I'm not going to comment on articulation, this is what I signed up for.

Big misstep however, the melee weapon doesn't have the dynamic plastic version like Pantro, Tigra etc.....

Unfortunately that's a bigger disappointment than I thought it would be.

Side note my Tigra looks great, BUT no, I mean ZERO, head/neck articulation. The upper neck torso separated a mm while trying a head pose. The casting has what looks like a space for the barbell to articulate a LITTLE but isn't trimmed from the factory. Also I may or may not clean up the shading wash.

Opening the rest tomorrow.
bharrisfan
Super Poseable
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:48 am

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Fri May 20, 2022 10:03 pm

Is there any word on when Super7 is putting the toy colored wave back up for preorder?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Zombie F-Body
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: "Never before have lives less lived been more chronicled"-Dennis Miller about social media
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 7:05 pm

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Fri May 20, 2022 11:33 pm

No head movement on Tigra and unless the joint is just stuck on mine, it seems the sculpted pauldron over his left arm inhibits any movement at the shoulder also. The Super 7 cats seem to have the shoulders inserted deeper into the torso than the Mattel ones. Not the standard of perfection Bryan loves delaying these things constantly for, huh!!
User avatar
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 16361
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:17 am

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Sun May 22, 2022 3:07 am

Rex Mason wrote: These are literally the best ThunderCat figures ever made
I mean... look at the competition. S7, 40-year-old vintage toys, or the mess that was Bandai releasing a handful of figures in two different scales.

And I'd actually say that if you strip away the extra accessories and just compare them one figure against the other in terms of articulation, functionality, and even fidelity of design -- S7 and Bandai come out about even -- being good or bad in different areas from each other, but neither being truly better. S7 edges out only because of the more display options it offers with all the different parts, and because it 'fits in' with other S7/Mattel lines where Bandai really did not.
bharrisfan
Super Poseable
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:48 am

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Sun May 22, 2022 8:10 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Rex Mason wrote: These are literally the best ThunderCat figures ever made
I mean... look at the competition. S7, 40-year-old vintage toys, or the mess that was Bandai releasing a handful of figures in two different scales.

And I'd actually say that if you strip away the extra accessories and just compare them one figure against the other in terms of articulation, functionality, and even fidelity of design -- S7 and Bandai come out about even -- being good or bad in different areas from each other, but neither being truly better. S7 edges out only because of the more display options it offers with all the different parts, and because it 'fits in' with other S7/Mattel lines where Bandai really did not.
There’s no universe where you can argue the bandai figs are equal to s7 in any way. Only maybe bandai’s articulation was better. If you have a soft spot for bandai that’s one thing but hold the figures in each hand. Objectively there’s no comparison.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Burkion
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 279
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:14 pm

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Sun May 22, 2022 8:21 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 3:07 am
Rex Mason wrote: These are literally the best ThunderCat figures ever made
I mean... look at the competition. S7, 40-year-old vintage toys, or the mess that was Bandai releasing a handful of figures in two different scales.

And I'd actually say that if you strip away the extra accessories and just compare them one figure against the other in terms of articulation, functionality, and even fidelity of design -- S7 and Bandai come out about even -- being good or bad in different areas from each other, but neither being truly better. S7 edges out only because of the more display options it offers with all the different parts, and because it 'fits in' with other S7/Mattel lines where Bandai really did not.
Figure VS Figure?

Lion-O you could make an argument for and against between the two. It's not SO different. ...so long as you're only talking about the 8 inch one.

Tygra is considerably less accurate if that's what you're grading these by but not *the worst* considering Super7 have their own issues.

And then you're out of your mind if you go any further than that. Not only is the scale weird with other lines, after Lion-O it's [email protected]#$ In Its Own Line. Not even touching how Mumm-Ra looks. Or 6 inch Lion-O who is just

Awful.
User avatar
Zombie F-Body
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: "Never before have lives less lived been more chronicled"-Dennis Miller about social media
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 7:05 pm

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Sun May 22, 2022 3:03 pm

Thundercats is so under-represented in toy form that I'd be happy with whoever managed to get largest amount of figures out. If Bandai managed to get a few more out, at least the core Cats, and that was all we got, no Super 7 or Mattel, I'd be happy. However, my gripes with Super 7 aside they have managed to make a decently large line so far (well half are still stuck in the pattern buffer but theoretically by the end of the year our shelves should be larger). Once Cheetara arrives I could consider it done but even if they keep it going there really isn't many more "must haves" I would require. However in light of rising prices, I'd rather give Super 7 $50 for a 1-epsiode TC character than Hasbro $30 for a mainline ML or more for a SW BS. Still if Super 7 raises prices in lock-step, I'm out.
User avatar
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 16361
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:17 am

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Sun May 22, 2022 8:51 pm

Zombie F-Body wrote: Still if Super 7 raises prices in lock-step, I'm out.
Aren't they doing exactly that? Unless I'm mistaken, they've already gone from 45 to 55. I can't imagine that's the end of it, and that is already a HUGE increase in a very short amount of time.

Burkion wrote: Tygra is considerably less accurate if that's what you're grading these by but not *the worst* considering Super7 have their own issues.
Less accurate but moves -way- better and is probably sturdier in the long run as well. That's the problem, though; people want to go to bat for S7, so they skew what -counts- and what -doesn't count- in favor of S7. But subjectively speaking.. neither figure is better than the other if they're both not really -great- figures. If you're comparing the different things they get wrong and trying to decide which is more objectionable.. well...

Burkion wrote: And then you're out of your mind if you go any further than that. Not only is the scale weird with other lines, after Lion-O it's [email protected]#$ In Its Own Line. Not even touching how Mumm-Ra looks. Or 6 inch Lion-O who is just
How Mumm-Ra looks? He's at least the correct color. Lots fewer accessories but I mean, you're talking about a figure that retailed for like 14 dollars or less. Honestly, I liked both the 6" figures and the 8" Lion-O. I didn't -love- them. But I don't love what S7 is doing either. I do -prefer- the look of the S7 figures, personally. So again.. it's not an objective measure of 'this is definitely better.' Especially when you look at the huge cost disparity.


Of course, as a -line- and not figure-to-figure, S7 is superior just in scope. Bandai never gave us even close to a complete line-up anywhere beyond maybe the revival 4" line.

bharrisfan wrote: There’s no universe where you can argue the bandai figs are equal to s7 in any way. Only maybe bandai’s articulation was better. If you have a soft spot for bandai that’s one thing but hold the figures in each hand. Objectively there’s no comparison.
I just did compare them, so you're wrong. Objectively.
And you don't know what 'objectively' means. Double bummer, huh?

Joking aside, as I said above, I don't have any great affection for the Bandai stuff. Nor do I have great affection for S7. Directly comparing them figure-to-figure, they're obviously super different -- they're both stylized in very different directions, for example, and I have no doubt there's someone out there that really likes the more angular look of the Bandai figures just as there's definitely people that like the puffy MOTU look. It's also worth noting that one of the main complaints I've seen about these figures as an overall line is NOT wanting them to be on MOTU bodies, so... there's that. The whole point is that they're different enough and have different appealing aspects that saying one is -better- is really just a subjective statement of preference.

Some people are going to prefer one thing over another. It's like saying that Gallery Statues are better than Marvel Legends. If you don't care -at all- about articulation, but you really care about sturdiness or seamless design, they're great. Or you could say Hot Toys are superior to Star Wars Black Series -- yeah, if the realistic fabric and great faces means more to you than being able to pose your toy without fear... they're great. But for a lot of people, they're actually not superior.

A great example of this is G.I. Joe, where a certain segment of the fanbase has never abandoned the O-Ring figures that they consider superior to anything else. That's the style and expression they like and it has appeal to them for whatever reason. If the 25A or Modern Era figures were -objectively- better figures, why would anyone bother keeping the old ones?

And let's be real; if a different company gets the TCats license ten years from now and makes figures using whatever is the current, cool toy technology/style at that time, people will all of a sudden look back on S7 and be like 'oh, those figures were AAAAAWFUL' just like some people will do now with the fairly old Bandai figures despite them being largely praised at the time of their release - just like S7 TCats are now. The needle is always moving.
User avatar
Zombie F-Body
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: "Never before have lives less lived been more chronicled"-Dennis Miller about social media
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 7:05 pm

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Sun May 22, 2022 9:43 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 8:51 pm
Zombie F-Body wrote: Still if Super 7 raises prices in lock-step, I'm out.
Aren't they doing exactly that? Unless I'm mistaken, they've already gone from 45 to 55. I can't imagine that's the end of it, and that is already a HUGE increase in a very short amount of time.
This is true but I guess I thinking like a Hasbro level jump. Like each wave increasing $10 or something. That could still happen. I guess they are still seeing a close to 25% increase similar to Hasbro. Bastards better be getting us a Snarf like yesterday then before it gets too expensive!

Bandai did some decent work and I think the reboot figures were pretty good. They were at a weird stage at that time though. I love their current Dragonball stuff. They seem to lean more towards Figurarts now where back in the time they had the TC license they were kinda like the 7" Power Ranger stuff (those overly yoked figures with removable armor). The screws holding the figures together would be my only gripe with them. I'm still glad I have the complete 6" reboot team though. Tigra included! Once I put together another shelf they may end up with the S7 Cats.
User avatar
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 16361
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:17 am

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Sun May 22, 2022 9:51 pm

Zombie F-Body wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 9:43 pm
KnightDamien wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 8:51 pm
Zombie F-Body wrote: Still if Super 7 raises prices in lock-step, I'm out.
Aren't they doing exactly that? Unless I'm mistaken, they've already gone from 45 to 55. I can't imagine that's the end of it, and that is already a HUGE increase in a very short amount of time.
This is true but I guess I thinking like a Hasbro level jump. Like each wave increasing $10 or something. That could still happen. I guess they are still seeing a close to 25% increase similar to Hasbro. Bastards better be getting us a Snarf like yesterday then before it gets too expensive!

Bandai did some decent work and I think the reboot figures were pretty good. They were at a weird stage at that time though. I love their current Dragonball stuff. They seem to lean more towards Figurarts now where back in the time they had the TC license they were kinda like the 7" Power Ranger stuff (those overly yoked figures with removable armor). The screws holding the figures together would be my only gripe with them. I'm still glad I have the complete 6" reboot team though. Tigra included! Once I put together another shelf they may end up with the S7 Cats.
Definitely think it's important to look at everything in its time and respective to what was normal when it was new. Like I said above - the Bandai stuff was almost universally liked and praised. I recall a few people even sayin the 8" Lion-O was a perfect Lion-O figure and would be hard to ever match. Then technology changes... taste changes... expectations change, whatever. At least Bandai tried to be current when they made their figures, instead of relying on a 20-year-old base body and charging more than 100% more than that same style of figure cost when it was first introduced.

As for price - I mean.. yeah. We are where we are and I think as more 'Deluxe' MLs start pushing into that near-50 range, it'll give S7 the minimal justification/excuse they need to crank out another price increase and say 'well, what can you really get for less than X nowadays?! We're so deluxe and special.. look at all the extra hands we include."

Bandai is doing interesting things right now, that's for sure. I like the idea that they want to make SHF-adjacent product. Something reminiscent with a slightly lower price tag that might be more palatable than current import pricing. They understand the niche they're going for.
WinterLord
Super Poseable
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:49 am

Re: Super 7 Thundercats Ultimates

Mon May 23, 2022 4:58 am

I just got Slythe, Monkian, Mummra and Tygra in the mail a few days ago. Overall they are nice looking figures, but the articulation is very very dated. Having swivel only head joints should be illegal in 2022, especially for an "ultimate" figure. I think monkian has the best articulation of all the figures, even if his hair limits head movement. Also, my Monkian and Tygra had paint blotches on the faces, and tygra has cracks in his paint on his neck. Mummra has loose hip joints. For the price and limited articulation, the QC should be much much better. I will be buying Cheetara and then Im done with the line. I still think the mezco 12 inch staction figures are the best thundercats figures to date. Hopefully McFarlane, Neca, Mezco or an import figure company eventually get a crack at this license.

Return to “Cats Lair: The Unofficial ThunderCats Forum”