Storm Collectibles Mortal Kombat

Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right B, A, Start! - Here is the place to discuss toys related to video games!
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Storm Collectibles Mortal Kombat

Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:54 pm

So, I definitely pre-ordered Kintaro. I love the monstrous guys from this line and he'll look good flanking Shao Kahn. However, am I wrong to be disappointed that he doesn't differ a little more from Goro. Alot of art for the character on-line shows Kintaro as almost feline in appearance, with tiger stripes on his forehead and shoulders and I really would have liked to have seen that on this figure - or even just on one of the alternate heads. Additionally a different belt buckle/loin piece could have differentiated him more as well.

Guess I was just hoping for something closer to :

panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:26 pm

Those little tricksters at Storm Collectibles got me to order the Unmasked Sub-Zero. I didn’t want it but now I apparently need this stupid thing because otherwise those fatality parts that come with Kintaro are going to be useless. God damn it…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CaptainCool
HULK SMASH!

Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:01 am

PantherCult wrote:
So, I definitely pre-ordered Kintaro. I love the monstrous guys from this line and he'll look good flanking Shao Kahn. However, am I wrong to be disappointed that he doesn't differ a little more from Goro. Alot of art for the character on-line shows Kintaro as almost feline in appearance, with tiger stripes on his forehead and shoulders and I really would have liked to have seen that on this figure - or even just on one of the alternate heads. Additionally a different belt buckle/loin piece could have differentiated him more as well.

Don’t be too disappointed, they’re basing the look off of the MKII/MK Trilogy version of Kintaro. He only started looking more cat like in MK: Armageddon and they haven’t even begun to touch anything from the 3D era (2002 - 2006).

Personally, I’m waiting for a Quan Chi to hit. I’ll definitely be waiting a while for that…
panther10

Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:43 pm

CaptainCool wrote:
PantherCult wrote:

Don’t be too disappointed, they’re basing the look off of the MKII/MK Trilogy version of Kintaro. He only started looking more cat like in MK: Armageddon and they haven’t even begun to touch anything from the 3D era (2002 - 2006).

Personally, I’m waiting for a Quan Chi to hit. I’ll definitely be waiting a while for that…
Technically Quan-Chi’s first appeared in Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero, which was still technically in the retro era as it was the last of the MK titles that featured digitized actors against a green screened background. It’s also the very next entry in the series after MK3/UMK3/MK Trilogy. This is one of the few MK games that I hope Storm Collectibles draws from as it featured quite a few characters who first appeared in this title and eventually grew in popularity, along with a few of the deeper cuts and obscure characters that we really haven’t seen since this title launched in 1997.

VonDoom62
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:05 pm

I think a MK4/Mythologies Quan Chi is my most wanted figure from the line right now, outside of a rerelease for Shao Kahn.
CaptainCool
HULK SMASH!

Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:49 am

Imagine if they went deep into the pool and did that weird ass demon version of Shinnok from MK: Mythologies?
dcucfan
CROM!

Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:28 am

Really wish I committed to this line earlier. I hemmed and hawed for a while, and by the time I got my first and realized how great they were I had let Goro, Baraka, etc. sell out. They were on BBTS for a while too, ugh.

BUT I did finally get Motaro today and holy hell he’s cool. Lower on my list of fav characters but extremely impressive and massive in hand. I’ll be getting Kintaro for sure.
panther10

Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:18 am

CaptainCool wrote:Imagine if they went deep into the pool and did that weird ass demon version of Shinnok from MK: Mythologies?
It could happen. That sort of thing would be right up Storms alley. I’d also love a normal Shinnok, a Lin Kuei Grandmaster, Fujin and the other elemental gods, along with Quan Chi and his bodyguards Sareena, Jataaka and Kia. And let’s not forget Bi-Han and Hanzo Hasashi/Mortal Scorpion.

I know this game isn’t one of the most popular entries in the MK franchise. Even amongst the die hards of the fandom. But some of those characters would be amazing to see in plastic for the first time.

VonDoom62
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:48 pm

I don't think we'll EVER get Sareena in this line, but I'd love to be wrong.

If Storm ever got to the point where they make a Shinnok, I feel like I'd prefer the MK4 version if only because the Mythologies design would be a traffic cone. That is, unless they gave a hypothetical MK Mythologies Shinnok this face:

I'd be all too happy to to see that.
panther10

Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:38 pm

I mean I wouldn’t mind versions of the characters that are based on real life actors but I imagine that there are licensing restrictions based on that kind of thing. I mean if you’ve ever watched the FMV sequences from MKM or even the BTS reels from the first three games, you could tell that these guys weren’t professional actors lol. So I’m not sure if the talent agency they typically work with had any kind of distribution rights to their actors when they signed them. That’s why most of the MK figures from Storm have a somewhat quasi stylistic feel to them. I think they are mostly based on the conceptual and promotional art from the early games

panther10

Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:14 am

I just opened my MK3 unmasked Sub-Zero and now that I have it in hand I kinda like it. The brutality effect parts are cool as are the Ice cascade and deep freeze fatality parts. The costume still feels out of place in the MK universe but it’s growing on me a little bit. That might be due to the fact that it looks better in toy form than it does on a digitized actor. I still think it was slightly cheeky for Storm to give Kintoro a bunch of unmasked sub-zero fatality parts and turn this figure into one of the most essential releases now. But hopefully I end up enjoying the figure more as time goes by and the novelty doesn’t wear off.

Also thinking back to my previous post regarding the figs looking slightly stylized, does anyone else feel like these kind of match the art style from the Mortal Kombat: Defenders of the Realm cartoon series?

yorick_skirata
Faster than a speeding bullet

Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:01 am

Am I the only one thinking the price for Kintaro is higher than it should? I got my Goro at BBTS for 100.00 two years ago, and I just paid 110 for Ares. 130 for Kintaro is bothering me.
Even Motaro, that is huge and comes with an extra figure is 110. Tyres Flare comes with a Dragon Mount and is only 5 bucks more than him.

I might be sour because I don’t have, nor intend on having, Sub-Zero. And I really dislike that most of Kintaro’s accessories are meant to be used with a specific character.
Shreddar
Super Poseable

Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:27 am

yorick_skirata wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:01 am
Am I the only one thinking the price for Kintaro is higher than it should? I got my Goro at BBTS for 100.00 two years ago, and I just paid 110 for Ares. 130 for Kintaro is bothering me.
Even Motaro, that is huge and comes with an extra figure is 110. Tyres Flare comes with a Dragon Mount and is only 5 bucks more than him.

I might be sour because I don’t have, nor intend on having, Sub-Zero. And I really dislike that most of Kintaro’s accessories are meant to be used with a specific character.
Inflation is about 25% to 30% annualized since last year when using actual numbers, not CPI stats which skew housing costs with homeowners equivalent rent. So I would expect 30% price increases to be the norm.

Bryan Flynn of Super7 said shipping costs from China are up 300% since last year.

Hasbro marvel legends increased from 20 to 23 which is a 15% price increase. Super7 ultimates went from 45 to 55 which is a 22% increase.

I just got my apartment rent lease renewal which was 24% higher than last years rent. BTW, according to CPI-U, rents are only up 2% this year, because their method of calculation is surveying a handful of random homeowners and asking what they believe their house would rent for, if the homeowner decided to rent it out, instead of live in it themselves. So the survey of people said this hypothetical rent would be up 2% whereas actual economic data shows 25% rent increases across the board.

Turns out printing a ton of money while reducing economic production results in massive price increases. If it makes you feel any better, that Goro you paid $100 for is now worth close to $350 on the secondary market.
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:42 am

Storm Collectibles is a company based in Hong Kong, so US inflation doesn't really apply to them. But I'm sure the stuff like shipping and production costs going up do.
VonDoom62
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:52 am

panther10 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:38 pm
I mean I wouldn’t mind versions of the characters that are based on real life actors but I imagine that there are licensing restrictions based on that kind of thing. I mean if you’ve ever watched the FMV sequences from MKM or even the BTS reels from the first three games, you could tell that these guys weren’t professional actors lol. So I’m not sure if the talent agency they typically work with had any kind of distribution rights to their actors when they signed them. That’s why most of the MK figures from Storm have a somewhat quasi stylistic feel to them. I think they are mostly based on the conceptual and promotional art from the early games

Oh! I didn't mean getting the rights to the actor's likeness specifically, since I know that'd be almost impossible, I more just meant that smug face. I'd love a Shinnok figure with that expression, even without the likeness.

Return to “Mushroom Kingdom: The Video Game Toy Board”