Super7 Transformers ULTIMATES!!!!

BAH WEEP GRANAH WEEP NINI BONG! - Transformers! G1, MP, Third Party, Prime, Beast, whatever your little spark desires!
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Super7 Transformers ULTIMATES!!!!

Tue May 17, 2022 6:42 pm

After seeing more up close pictures, I'm kind of regretting not ordering Bombshell as well. I was on the fence about him, and ultimately decided that he was just too blocky for what I wanted. But now seeing review pictures of him I feel like maybe I made a mistake. It looks really sharp in a lot of the photos I've seen. I may have to track him down after all.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 17, 2022 6:47 pm

Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 18, 2022 10:03 pm

Looks like the Optimus I ordered from BBTS is getting ready to ship soon. I can't wait to get this figure in hand and see what it's like. I can't decide how deep I will go into the Transformers Super7 Ultimate's line. I am definitely getting Prime, Megatron, and Grimlock. And if they make Blaster and Soundwave, I will get them.

Beyond that, I'm not sure how many I will get. Maybe just the crew of the Ark and Nemesis from Season 1, and then a few characters I like from the other Seasons (like Blaster, Ultra Magnus, Hot Rod, etc.)

But I don't know. This Optimus and how much i like it will really dictate how far I go.
Burkion
Runs Around in Tights

Thu May 19, 2022 1:08 pm

You know it's weird, Bombshell's shoulders are like, the biggest let down to me of the wave. I guess it's because Prime is still very emotive even with his busted elbows, you can work around them.

Way harder to work around those shoulders.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 21, 2022 7:31 pm

Optimus Prime arrived and man do I feel dumb for buying this thing.

He comes with a bunch of accessories, but I won't use any of them, even if I wanted to, I can't. There's a tiny unarticulated Spike Witwicky, the surfboard (maybe I'll give it to the Ninja Turtles), basketball, some rubbery thorny vine thing that looks like it should wrap around his arms. His Energon axe, his rifle, the Matrix, a jetpack, a vintage toy head sculpt, and four additional hands besides the fists already attached (left open/pegged for basketball, left pointing, right rifle grip, right open hand).

The fists are fine. The rifle grip can hold the pistol grip, but the stock blocks his thumb from reaching the trigger. So he grips it low. The open hand would have been better as a left hand to help hold the rifle, but arm articulation is so limited he'd never be able to reach with both hands anyway. Elbows are limited, and boxy sculpt blocks the arms from getting close. The pointing hand is fine. The last hand is meant for the basketball alone, good for nothing else. The open hand is probably meant to hold the Matrix, which it can, if balanced, not gripped. He doesn't come with two grip hands to double grip the Matrix handles.

I've rarely displayed an Optimus with the energon axe, and I doubt I will with this one. I've no use for the rubber vines. The jetpack, fortunately, clips between his shoulder blades really well, no issues there.

Articulation is mostly a wash. Shoulders have good range, has a mild ab crunch. Hips have good range, knees get 90º. Ankles are severely limited, very little up or down movement, hardly any tilt. This guy will wind up being a vanilla posed statue. Some people may get creative with poses, but he doesn't pose in any pose I want him to.

He looks ok with RED Bumblebee, who comes up to the grey part of his chest below the windshields. His chest does not open to house the Matrix. The head can swap easily, but again, I don't know why I'd bother with the toy head if the whole figure is anime inspired. It's just a bunch of ridiculous and random decisions that make this toy barely reach 50% of its potential. It looks good, but it's not fun, even compared to the smaller RED version. I feel so stupid, almost conned, for buying this.

My OCD will keep me from canceling my preorders for Megatron and Grimlock, but I've really gotta temper my expectations. This is a C+ figure at best.
Handsome
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 7:51 pm

I canceled my pre-order for Optimus, but if I had kept it, I knew what to expect. I have the Super7 Turtles, and I thought with the Super7 MOTU and Thundercats in my collection, this would be the best line for Transformers to fit in with the rest of the '80s characters. I knew it would just be a statue with very limited articulation. The accessories are fine, but really I'm not gonna ever pose him on my shelf with a surfboard or a basketball, so they're kind of pointless. I would have been fine with the limited articulation, I just didn't love the overly simplistic cartoon aesthetic. I was mainly getting it for the size. The MDLX is smaller than the Super7, but it's still bigger than the RED version, and it has much cooler look to me, even if you take away the MDLX's articulation, I just like the look of the figure in a vanilla pose much better than the Super7. It just looks cool to me, like an adult collectable. Where as the Super7 looks like a plasticy children's toy.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 8:05 pm

See, the aesthetic is exactly what I expected, and actually what I love about it. I love the simplistic, animation inspired sculpt. It does what it sets out to do in that respect. And it's not all awful articulation, some joints actually have great, dynamic range of motion. The shoulders, hips, very good. The knees, 90º, the elbows 135º maybe. Not great. The ankles are really the most disappointing part. And those accessories are all so dumb. It's crap like that I don't want to bother with.
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 23, 2022 4:19 am

NORM wrote:

He comes with a bunch of accessories, but I won't use any of them, even if I wanted to, I can't. There's a tiny unarticulated Spike Witwicky, the surfboard (maybe I'll give it to the Ninja Turtles), basketball, some rubbery thorny vine thing that looks like it should wrap around his arms. His Energon axe, his rifle, the Matrix, a jetpack, a vintage toy head sculpt, and four additional hands besides the fists already attached (left open/pegged for basketball, left pointing, right rifle grip, right open hand).

The fists are fine. The rifle grip can hold the pistol grip, but the stock blocks his thumb from reaching the trigger. So he grips it low. The open hand would have been better as a left hand to help hold the rifle, but arm articulation is so limited he'd never be able to reach with both hands anyway. Elbows are limited, and boxy sculpt blocks the arms from getting close. The pointing hand is fine. The last hand is meant for the basketball alone, good for nothing else. The open hand is probably meant to hold the Matrix, which it can, if balanced, not gripped. He doesn't come with two grip hands to double grip the Matrix handles.

I've rarely displayed an Optimus with the energon axe, and I doubt I will with this one. I've no use for the rubber vines. The jetpack, fortunately, clips between his shoulder blades really well, no issues there.

Articulation is mostly a wash. Shoulders have good range, has a mild ab crunch. Hips have good range, knees get 90º. Ankles are severely limited, very little up or down movement, hardly any tilt. This guy will wind up being a vanilla posed statue. Some people may get creative with poses, but he doesn't pose in any pose I want him to.

He looks ok with RED Bumblebee, who comes up to the grey part of his chest below the windshields. His chest does not open to house the Matrix. The head can swap easily, but again, I don't know why I'd bother with the toy head if the whole figure is anime inspired. It's just a bunch of ridiculous and random decisions that make this toy barely reach 50% of its potential. It looks good, but it's not fun, even compared to the smaller RED version. I feel so stupid, almost conned, for buying this.

My OCD will keep me from canceling my preorders for Megatron and Grimlock, but I've really gotta temper my expectations. This is a C+ figure at best.
oh wow, interesting that you didnt like him. now i gotta see toy reviews of him now
MankindRam
CROM!

Mon May 23, 2022 12:54 pm

Night Wolf wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:19 am
NORM wrote:

oh wow, interesting that you didnt like him. now i gotta see toy reviews of him now
What’s funny is I was most excited for Ghost of Starscream and Optimus wound up being my fav. I’m not going deep into this line as I treat it as a continuation of MOTUC so Optimus, Megatron, Starscream and Soundwave will be enough.
starguarded
Runs Around in Tights

Mon May 23, 2022 7:32 pm

I dig the cartoon aesthetic but it sounds like these could have turned out a little better. The only one I actually have preordered is G2 Megatron because I'm a fan of that early 90s disgusting color scheme.

I feel like across their lines Super7 needs to step up their quality. There's too many QC issues and missteps for lines where every figure is $55. I don't think everything needs to be perfect every time, but missteps like glossy plastic (especially on human skin), most of the ThunderCats line (I know, I know, old factory issues), poor decisions on implementing articulation (Optimus elbows, Casey's waist), etc are starting to make me lose trust in them.

If we start to see improvements in their releases from here on out, that would be ideal. I know it takes a long time to respond to feedback and make improvements because of how long it takes figures to get made, but I don't want things to trend in the opposite direction.
Misfit
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 23, 2022 10:41 pm

Not a big Transformers guy, but I ended up getting this Optimus for reasons I won't get into. It came yesterday from Super7 and it's...eh? I expected limited articulation because of the boxy nature and I can accept that Super7 dislikes certain joints. I have the second Voltron they did which I think is fine, but it's the paint job that really helps it. This figure surprised me in some places, like the shoulders which are well-engineered to work around that boxy form. The ab crunch lets the figure look down and it works really well at that. It's very smooth and I don't worry about paint rub. The overall paint job is pretty lackluster. I expected that, but hoped maybe they'd add some white paint to the windshield since that's how Optimus looked in the cartoon. I think some black line work would have really helped too.

What sucks though are those ankles and elbows. I consider it pretty unacceptable that a premium action figure can't at least get close to a 90 degree bend at the elbow. They could have figured it out without adding to the development cost, they just chose not to. And the same is true of the ankles. Maybe adding a drop-down would add some cost, but I'd happily ditch some accessories for it. Which those are kind of "meh" too. I hate that he can't properly hold the rifle and I don't understand why the peg hole for the basketball had to be so big as if it was smaller it could have fit on the tip of his finger for a spinning pose. He can't really grip the Matrix and the surfboard and jetback are bland. I think the board could have been fine if it had a stand, but oh well. I don't care for the toy head, it looks fine, but I wanted the animated aesthetic out of this. The axe is at least cool, and despite my criticism of the basketball, I think it's fun and I'll probably display the figure with it. I don't care at all about the Energon net thing or Spike.

And more of an observation than a criticism, the fists on my figure have a matte clear coat on them, but none of the other hands do. I'm curious if they're all like that or if it's something that will vary. I had a similar thing with Super7's Michelangelo in which I had two figures, one had a matte finish on the heads, and one did not. Either way, I wasn't planning on getting a bunch of figures from this line and I'm definitely not reconsidering that. Had this figure really impressed, I probably would have been tempted to pair it with Megatron, but I doubt I'll do that unless early reviews for that figure really blow me away.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 24, 2022 2:10 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 24, 2022 3:40 am

Are you SURE you dont like Prime Norm?
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 24, 2022 3:46 am

I don’t hate him. I was definitely harsh on him. He’s certainly not worth the value. But he looks ok. Super7 is just so mediocre.
Ibentmyman-thing
Shakespeare of Fwoosh

Tue May 24, 2022 7:07 pm

His boob windows seem a little too large and too blue. If the blue was lighter they wouldn't be so dominant and he'd feel more balanced in the torso.

Return to “The Ark: The Unofficial Transformers Toy Board”

Recent Topics