Transformers: Studio Series

BAH WEEP GRANAH WEEP NINI BONG! - Transformers! G1, MP, Third Party, Prime, Beast, whatever your little spark desires!
Chooch
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Transformers: Studio Series

Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:11 pm

Scale's never been a big concern for Transformers so I'm fine with the Dinos being on the big side. Bring on the rest!

And yes, robot dinosaur is all the justification anyone ever needs. I never understood why kids would go nuts over dinosaurs when robot dinosaurs existed!
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:01 pm

I keep most of mine in robot mode too. Mainly for the sake of space. Even the beast wars figures. But the dinobots are all dino mode. I even have the live action movie versions, both the original colors and the rereleases (not the g1 colors though), and those stay in dino mode as well. Dino mode just looks awesome.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Ro-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:12 pm

I always remembered the dinos being relatively the same height in bot mode, so the scale for Slag is good with me. So hopefully Sludge next with Snarl and Swoop close behind.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:42 pm

sepster wrote:Slag looks great, but yeah, count me among those who feel he's too big. It's a bummer but certainly wont stop me from ordering him as soon as he goes up.
I’m sure you’ve seen the dino mode shots it is just about perfect. Makes me curious how they handle Sludge. I haven’t seen the MP or 3rd party versions. I’m surprised to see Slag’s dino legs to be incorporated into the lower legs and not hanging on the outside. Surely they can’t do the same with Sludge. Perhaps that engineering has already been done.

It looks like they are putting his tail on the back and not incorporating it into the legs. That’s more G1. I need to see Grimlock next to Slag in robot mode to form complete opinion. I do want Grimlock bigger in overall look. Dino mode it works really well. I can’t seem to find that pic again.

Most likely I will have these displayed in dino mode but with this articulation Hasbro is building into robot mode these are a blast to photograph in that mode. I’ll save space with other Autobots riding them.

I know it may take a few years but these Dinobots are worth the wait. Just don’t make bone headed decisions Hasbro. That tab catch on Grimlock’s leg is scary. There had to be a better way. Grimlock will be straight legged for me.

The 3D printers have sucked me in with those upgrade kits. They really complete those empty spots. Not sure how the fix Slag’s horns. I bought my first sword. It will be here next week to check out. ML fire accessories look good with Grimlock. Wish there was a spinning vortex of fire.

Thwipp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lightsyder
Super Poseable

Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:47 pm

Which 3D printer sword looks best with Grimlock? I've seen a few different people/groups making them so far.
TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:28 pm

https://news.tfw2005.com/2021/04/11/stu ... ges-431580

I will likely buy him, lol. But I'm still gonna b*tch.

He's slightly too big in trike mode, and I never have and never will allow poorly outdated inconsistent animation to form or sway my taste in matters of aesthetics.

I don't care that they were all the same height in robot mode.

I want a reasonable scale in dinosaur mode, and what we're getting isn't so far outside "reasonable" to me to pass on him completely, but I will still have a problem with it.

I'll just try to keep my whining to a minimum, so I'm not put on everyone's Ignore Lists, lol.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:37 pm

Prophet924 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:42 pm
sepster wrote:Slag looks great, but yeah, count me among those who feel he's too big. It's a bummer but certainly wont stop me from ordering him as soon as he goes up.
I’m sure you’ve seen the dino mode shots it is just about perfect.

Perfect to what? In most all cases concerning the toys, Grimlock is the largest of the Dinobots, with Snarl and Sludge being slightly smaller, Slag being even smaller and Swoop the smallest of the group. And my main issue with his size isn't his height, it's that he's wider/bulkier than Grimlock.

I know you posted the screenshot of the cartoon, but quite frankly, I don't give two slags about the cartoon. As much nostalgia as I have for the show, the animation is poorly done crap with absolutely ridiculous inconsistencies in regards to scale.

Unless you think Ultra Magnus should be bigger than Devastator?

How about Bruticus being the same size and standing next to his individual combiner 'Bots?

I never knew Ratchet is half the size of Ironhide! Weird.

My point is, don't use the animation as evidence of scale or relative size, it's well known that it is riddled with inconsistencies.

EDIT: This probably came across as harsh but it is meant to be taken in jest, not an attack.
Prophet924
Thwipp!

Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:06 pm

The 86 series is based on how the product was represented in the animation in regards to scale and like the original toys with the looks. The dinobots when in robot mode and standing next to each other were the same height mostly.

They engineered this to be of same size. He does feel a bit broad in the torso. I wonder if that is an optical illusion based on color red looking more full.

I get preferences. I understand comics fleshing out the characters more. I think Hasbro’s efforts here are to give quasi-masterpiece in regards to uniformity in scale and more articulation. Not as much in paint and accessories. Very good sculpts.

It’s pushing my nostalgia button hard. I think of Slag as the stocky bruiser. A little shorter adds to his attitude. But dino mode he was up to Grimlocks chest. His frill and feet were in the range of his little arms. I like the beefy build.

Yes scale is all over the place in cartoons. It’s mostly consistent in average.

Thwipp!

Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:30 am

lightsyder wrote:Which 3D printer sword looks best with Grimlock? I've seen a few different people/groups making them so far.
I bought this one, since it had a peg to attach to his side in dino mode. I haven't gotten it yet but I will post about it when I do. Its about the same size as the PotP one I bought from Ariel's Customs. But I didn't see an 86 version on there.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/YK85S ... =202485452

I will probably just leave it red, but I'll go over it with my own shade that matches the Dinobot red better like I did with my PotP swords.

Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:01 am

Slag looks great. A bit more red than I remember, but maybe I'm just mis-remembering his colors.

I think his height is fine. All the Dinobots but Swoop being similar in height feels fine. Passing judgement on one pic probably isn't the wisest thing to do. Grimlock has a bunch of other figures in front of him. Slag is more center of frame creating perspective issues. I'd wait for more pics. BUT looking at the pic, Slag's shoulders are lower than Grimlock's. It's his hood that makes him look so tall. I don't mind if he's a bit wider than Grimlock. Let Grimlock have the slight edge in height. But maybe the other Dinobots are wider, which is ok with me.
sepster
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:49 pm

TENIME_art
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:44 pm

Wider stance, with bent knees, which makes him shorter than narrower stance & straight knees, lol.

I want to see a better dino comparison. The one I posted where I think he's too big has Slag offset behind Grimlock, which unfortunately means he's going to be bigger when they're side by side.
captaincracker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:56 pm

Scale be damned, the more I see it, the more I want that Slag figure.
Trunks3540
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:23 pm

I wanna know what their deal is with the weapons. Why aren't we getting their swords? Is it because of those almost useless little mini figs they come with? I'd rather have the swords. It'd keep me from having to shell out another $60+ for 3rd party ones on shapeways. Otherwise he looks better with each pic. Just a little big.

Liquidus Snake
Customized

Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:51 am

Grimlock never used the sword in the animation, so given it’s in Studio Series might explain it. Still wish they included it.

Return to “The Ark: The Unofficial Transformers Toy Board”