What do you want from a Masterverse Castle Greyskull?

I HAVE THE POWER! - Masters of the Universe Classics, MOTU200X, the vintage toys, PoP and yes, even NA - talk about them in here!
DutyBeforeAll
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

What do you want from a Masterverse Castle Greyskull?

Sat May 15, 2021 3:21 pm

I would hope that they take a few ideas from the classics version.

A Greyskull has several things in common across all versions.

A throne room with throne, suit of armor, and a trap door. Underneath is the jawbridge and sewer grate/jail cell and a training area.
The other side has a elevator a secret door and a computer area.

I would honestly think that Mattel should adopt a Kickstarter/ HasLab model and offer a preorder and skip mass retail all together.

Stretch goals could be a more premium paint job, turning the grate into the full cell, having the space suit be a figure instead of a statue.
Longbowhunter
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: What do you want from a Masterverse Castle Greyskull?

Sat May 15, 2021 8:50 pm

I mean..thats basically the Classics version. A lot of people thought the Origins Castle would be a stripped down version of the Classics mold-I would imagine thats more likely for the Masterverse line if they can find a retail partner who wants it.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat May 15, 2021 8:57 pm

I'm not against them making one, but I don't even want a Masterverse Grayskull. First of all, unless the new show's castle is a departure from the classic look, it won't even be worth spending money on. And even if it is different... I own the Classics version already and my son and I will have the Origins one if we can find out. I really don't have any room in my home for three Castle Grayskulls, and I can't imagine a new one at retail being objectively better than the Classics one.
DutyBeforeAll
Runs Around in Tights

Sun May 16, 2021 11:32 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:57 pm
I'm not against them making one, but I don't even want a Masterverse Grayskull. First of all, unless the new show's castle is a departure from the classic look, it won't even be worth spending money on. And even if it is different... I own the Classics version already and my son and I will have the Origins one if we can find out. I really don't have any room in my home for three Castle Grayskulls, and I can't imagine a new one at retail being objectively better than the Classics one.
Well a lot of people missed Classics.
KnightDamien

Sun May 16, 2021 4:30 pm

DutyBeforeAll wrote:Well a lot of people missed Classics.
I'm aware. Hence the first six words in my post: 'I'm not opposed to them making one.' I may have been unclear, but the rest of my post was just explaining why -I- probably would not be interested in a Masterverse Grayskull. If they make one for people that missed out - cool. But it would have to be something both relatively inexpensive and also really interesting to even catch my interest in the slightest since I -do- have the MOTUC one.

And I suspect there aren't -that- many MOTU fans that missed out on the MOTUC one, in the grand scheme of things. It would have to be enough to justify an entire production run. Are there that many MOTU fans that both -would- pay for an expensive castle playset -and- missed out on the first one? I don't know.

At this point, it would basically have to be a straight up Filmation version to make me think about it at all. And even then, like I said, I'm not sure I'd even have the room for another 1:12-ish scaled castle playset.
DutyBeforeAll
Runs Around in Tights

Sun May 16, 2021 5:20 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 4:30 pm
DutyBeforeAll wrote:Well a lot of people missed Classics.
I'm aware. Hence the first six words in my post: 'I'm not opposed to them making one.' I may have been unclear, but the rest of my post was just explaining why -I- probably would not be interested in a Masterverse Grayskull. If they make one for people that missed out - cool. But it would have to be something both relatively inexpensive and also really interesting to even catch my interest in the slightest since I -do- have the MOTUC one.

And I suspect there aren't -that- many MOTU fans that missed out on the MOTUC one, in the grand scheme of things. It would have to be enough to justify an entire production run. Are there that many MOTU fans that both -would- pay for an expensive castle playset -and- missed out on the first one? I don't know.

At this point, it would basically have to be a straight up Filmation version to make me think about it at all. And even then, like I said, I'm not sure I'd even have the room for another 1:12-ish scaled castle playset.
Easiest way to get one made is the preorder method.
Make a prototype and put it up on a Kickstarter or HasLab like setup.

If enough people want it fine, if not Mattel isn’t out anything.
It would just be odd to not get a Greyskull if the toyline does well.

I had the opportunity to get classics Greyskull but passed because I didn’t have any of the figures and wasn’t going to pay eBay pricing for the ten or so characters I’d feel like would be a decent collection.
I got Snake Mountain so my origins Baddies would have a place to hang out, but masterverse might give them evection notices.
KnightDamien

Sun May 16, 2021 5:49 pm

DutyBeforeAll wrote: Easiest way to get one made is the preorder method.

Not necessarily true. Multiple companies have said that projects like that require a lot of resources before it even gets to the pre-order phase. Remember, that's why Snake Mountain didn't go forward at Mattel -- they didn't think the potential return was worth the investment just to get it to the point of asking people to order it. We should all know how Mattel operates by now. They seem way more risk-averse than say.. Hasbro. And they're too big with too much overhead to take the approach of companies like Super7 or even NECA.

Not saying it's a good thing or even right that Mattel behaves the way it does. But it's how they are nonetheless.

DutyBeforeAll wrote: It would just be odd to not get a Greyskull if the toyline does well.
We got YEARS of DCUC without a friggin' Batmobile. MOTUC went somewhere around 3 or 3-1/2 years before it got Castle Grayskull. Not saying Mattel would never do it for Masterverse, but I wouldn't expect it any time real soon, personally. And I definitely feel there's a lot of challenges involved - not least of which being the size and potential cost of it if they want it at retail, or the relative interest level if they tried DTC.
DutyBeforeAll
Runs Around in Tights

Sun May 16, 2021 5:57 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:49 pm
DutyBeforeAll wrote: Easiest way to get one made is the preorder method.

Not necessarily true. Multiple companies have said that projects like that require a lot of resources before it even gets to the pre-order phase. Remember, that's why Snake Mountain didn't go forward at Mattel -- they didn't think the potential return was worth the investment just to get it to the point of asking people to order it. We should all know how Mattel operates by now. They seem way more risk-averse than say.. Hasbro. And they're too big with too much overhead to take the approach of companies like Super7 or even NECA.

Not saying it's a good thing or even right that Mattel behaves the way it does. But it's how they are nonetheless.

DutyBeforeAll wrote: It would just be odd to not get a Greyskull if the toyline does well.
We got YEARS of DCUC without a friggin' Batmobile. MOTUC went somewhere around 3 or 3-1/2 years before it got Castle Grayskull. Not saying Mattel would never do it for Masterverse, but I wouldn't expect it any time real soon, personally. And I definitely feel there's a lot of challenges involved - not least of which being the size and potential cost of it if they want it at retail, or the relative interest level if they tried DTC.
I agree that it’s not something we’re likely to see soon, even origins has been out about a year and a half before they got their Castle.

Hopefully things can and will change at Mattel, I see toylines being less and less concerned about bigbox stores going forward but time will tell.

Hell, a remold of classics Greyskull would be the correct scale and already have the majority of the tooling done.
KnightDamien

Wed May 19, 2021 9:37 pm

DutyBeforeAll wrote: Hell, a remold of classics Greyskull would be the correct scale and already have the majority of the tooling done.
But again.. how do you sell it? It's almost definitely way too big and expensive to sell that at retail. No store would want it (probably). DTC? That goes back to the idea that you're not dumping your production numbers down to bare minimum (thereby raising your cost and therefore the consumer cost) and hoping there's enough people out there that didn't get the original MOTUC one, because you're unlikely to get a lot of double-dippers.

Again, not at all saying it can't happen. But I definitely think a new 1:10 scale Grayskull is an uphill battle. If anything, I'd say Masterverse is a good excuse for them to try to make a Filmation Castle Grayskull (because no one has one of those) and Masterverse is supposed to be 'everything MOTU' rather than just 'Revelations.' The Revelations Castle appears to be just the MOTUC design anyway, so why bother going back to that well, as I said above, when you can use this line to go with something that's never been made before.
DutyBeforeAll
Runs Around in Tights

Thu May 20, 2021 2:00 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 9:37 pm
DutyBeforeAll wrote: Hell, a remold of classics Greyskull would be the correct scale and already have the majority of the tooling done.
But again.. how do you sell it? It's almost definitely way too big and expensive to sell that at retail. No store would want it (probably). DTC? That goes back to the idea that you're not dumping your production numbers down to bare minimum (thereby raising your cost and therefore the consumer cost) and hoping there's enough people out there that didn't get the original MOTUC one, because you're unlikely to get a lot of double-dippers.

Again, not at all saying it can't happen. But I definitely think a new 1:10 scale Grayskull is an uphill battle. If anything, I'd say Masterverse is a good excuse for them to try to make a Filmation Castle Grayskull (because no one has one of those) and Masterverse is supposed to be 'everything MOTU' rather than just 'Revelations.' The Revelations Castle appears to be just the MOTUC design anyway, so why bother going back to that well, as I said above, when you can use this line to go with something that's never been made before.
Because lots of collectors MISSED out on classics and thus Didn’t get the Greyskull to go with them. It started with matty collector and I’m told was a pain in the early years.
Not to mention that some of the people collecting motu now were little kids while classics were starting and now that they’re interested, the classics line is all super expensive on the after market.
Starting out with a new line, at Retail, means a Lot more people have an easier access to cheaper seven inch Motu figures.

And if people Do go deeply into Masterverse then they Will want a Castle for the line.
Mattel could go through an online preorder for the castle and then they would fund it or not.

But a $250 or $300 seven inch scale Greyskull would have an audience if the rest of the line is successful.
KnightDamien

Thu May 20, 2021 4:03 am

DutyBeforeAll wrote: Because lots of collectors MISSED out on classics and thus Didn’t get the Greyskull to go with them.
I may not be explaining myself clearly; what you define as 'lots' may not be enough 'lots' to go back into production on such a large, expensive, resource-intensive item. Mattel is a very large company that needs large production numbers to bother producing something. 200 diehard fans willing to drop 2-500 dollars on a giant castle would not be enough to bother with. Even though to you it seems like a lot of people, it may not be a lot of people in the eyes of a company that calculates production numbers in the thousands and tens of thousands.

DutyBeforeAll wrote: It started with matty collector and I’m told was a pain in the early years.
I know how it started. I was there, Gandalf. 3000 years ago.
And it was easy to get. It wasn't a 'blink and you miss it' item like the monthly figures often were. CG was up for pre-order during the 'thermometer' phase for a LONG ass time. In fact, after it was delivered to ALL the people that pre-ordered it, extra stock continued to sit around on MattyCollector for a while and even got discounted by a little bit before it finally sold out. This was not a difficult item to acquire.

All we can do is conjecture about it, as neither of us has the sales numbers. I'm just suggesting that you broaden the way you look at it a bit. Most MOTU collectors had easy access to CG for a good while. I'd hazard to say that most people that wanted one and had a place for one have one, and that the number that don't - for whatever reason - MAY not be large enough to support Mattel even bothering with the logistics of setting up a new pre-order for one and planning a new production run, let alone actually going through with said production run. Keep in mind that 'it's expensive on the secondary market' doesn't necessarily mean there's a -large- market.

Hence my observation that they may decide, instead, to go with a different but probably equally or even MORE popular version of CG (Filmation) that -no one- has yet, to capitalize on people that already have Classics CG, since many of them would probably go in on new one if it was substantially different.

DutyBeforeAll wrote: Starting out with a new line, at Retail, means a Lot more people have an easier access to cheaper seven inch Motu figures.
They're what.. 20 bucks? MOTUC was 20 bucks for a good chunk of its run, and only 25 when it ended. The only significant difference here is being available at retail. But whether that will breathe significant new life, and significant new consumers, into the brand .. who knows.
DutyBeforeAll wrote: Mattel could go through an online preorder for the castle and then they would fund it or not.
I feel like you completely ignored the fact that I already explained how that's not as simple as you're making it out to be.

DutyBeforeAll wrote: And if people Do go deeply into Masterverse then they Will want a Castle for the line.
Yeah, I totally agree. You're ignoring the fact that potentially a very sizable portion of those people already have one, and that 'people will want a castle' actually doesn't discredit even a single point I've made here.

DutyBeforeAll wrote: But a $250 or $300 seven inch scale Greyskull would have an audience if the rest of the line is successful.
In your opinion. And I've explained my perspective on why that is a severe oversimplification because it ignores that many of those people already have one and may not want to buy the same Castle twice. Hence my Filmation comment.

I've said a few times - they very well may find a way to put the MOTUC CG back out there. Absolutely. I'm not saying they -can't-, or -won't-. I'm just saying I, personally, think there's a lot of really excellent reasons why it's the less likely of the possibilities. That's all.

Return to “Castle Grayskull: The Unofficial MOTU Toy Board”