Has Mattels MOTUO Distribution Been Officially Acknowledged/Discussed?

I HAVE THE POWER! - Masters of the Universe Classics, MOTU200X, the vintage toys, PoP and yes, even NA - talk about them in here!
frymasterak
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Has Mattels MOTUO Distribution Been Officially Acknowledged/Discussed?

Tue May 04, 2021 3:29 pm

Sorry if the title sucks. I am a little perplexed by the Origins lines distribution and have not seen a real conversation about it. We all know He-Man and Skeletor flood the shelves everywhere. Battlecat and the Skysled are usually there, but basically everything else is hard to find or unobtainable. You can get almost nothing online short of preordering from entertainmentearth or BBTS, which in most cases, have not shipped the bulk of any series. I have a friend that preordered wave 2 from BBTS and still has not received it. I got wave 2 from BBTS, but am still waiting on Wave 4 with no word. I don't fault the online retailers. I am sure they would love to fulfill those orders. Can anyone shine any light on whats going on?
rwsharpjr
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Has Mattels MOTUO Distribution Been Officially Acknowledged/Discussed?

Tue May 04, 2021 6:56 pm

As far as Heman and Skeletor's availability, they ship to stores in solid cases(one of the reasons blamed for the original line's death was lack of main characters' on pegs).

So basically everyone else is one per case, so all it takes is one collector to wipe out the case.

Retailers are ordering anything outside of consumables and necessities at a lower rate, so it then takes some time for replenishment.

Heman and Skeletor were not hanging around for long for the first few months of the line, but it takes so many more collectors to wipe out those guys.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Lasastard
Super Poseable

Thu May 06, 2021 7:46 am

I think Mattel is acutely aware that not being able to get the core characters is essentially a death sentence for any actionfigure line.

Apart from that, those two guys have been in production the longest, so naturally there are more units floating around (in addition to having been produced in higher numbers to ensure availability at all times, probably).
frymasterak
Runs Around in Tights

Thu May 06, 2021 1:58 pm

I have less issue with the amount of He-man and Skeletor, and more with the fact that you can get almost nothing else, even if you preordered it several months ago.
ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 06, 2021 3:00 pm

It's just a perfect storm of bad distribution. I don't blame Mattel entirely, in the beginning, it wasn't their fault so much.

When it was Walmart exclusive, Walmart rarely stocked it, but almost everything was readily available online. You had to work for it a bit, but it wasn't as difficult as some made it out to be.

The holiday season/pandemic, caused backup here because everything got sold for the holidays and less was being produced because of the pandemic. Meanwhile, Walmart started ordering full cases of He-man & Skeletor, right as the line was moving to mass retail.

That means that Target got all the new shipments of figures in the beginning, so people were finding all the new waves at Target...

But that quickly dried up as Target started getting full cases of He-man & Skeletor.

When stores do get new figures, they quickly sell out. But even the online retailers have taken a fair amount of time getting new figures, which to me indicates Mattel is still behind on producing new figs but have consistently kept making runs of He-Man & Skeletor.

Return to “Castle Grayskull: The Unofficial MOTU Toy Board”

Recent Topics