Masterverse: 7” He-Man line

I HAVE THE POWER! - Masters of the Universe Classics, MOTU200X, the vintage toys, PoP and yes, even NA - talk about them in here!
Ro-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Masterverse: 7” He-Man line

Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:49 pm

What are the case pack outs for these deluxes? Two SheRa and one Hordak? That’s what I saw on the shelves when I got my sets. My Targets are still stacked with Savage HeMan, Trapjaw, and King Grayskull. Triklops has disappeared. I know the NE wave has hit both Target and Walmarts because I will occasionally see a leftover NE Skeletor or NE HeMan in that last week or so.
chaosMonkeyPoo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:12 pm

All the commotion about the Hordak fig over at BBTS made me decide to just snag one now while I guaranteed still could at Target and boy am I glad I did. Was a little concerned that some review copies had arms that fell out really easy but mine (so far) seem to connect pretty firmly. And I have to say, this figure is easily up there with the better figures in the line - like they've really found their footing with the last wave or two. Typical great articulation and great sculpting on the new parts so its hard to really complain about anything.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:11 pm

Ro-El wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:49 pm
What are the case pack outs for these deluxes? Two SheRa and one Hordak? That’s what I saw on the shelves when I got my sets. My Targets are still stacked with Savage HeMan, Trapjaw, and King Grayskull. Triklops has disappeared. I know the NE wave has hit both Target and Walmarts because I will occasionally see a leftover NE Skeletor or NE HeMan in that last week or so.
At my store, I only saw Hordak. So based on that, I wouldn't know if it's a mixed case pack. No sign of She-Ra.
chaosMonkeyPoo wrote: All the commotion about the Hordak fig over at BBTS made me decide to just snag one now while I guaranteed still could at Target and boy am I glad I did. Was a little concerned that some review copies had arms that fell out really easy but mine (so far) seem to connect pretty firmly. And I have to say, this figure is easily up there with the better figures in the line - like they've really found their footing with the last wave or two. Typical great articulation and great sculpting on the new parts so its hard to really complain about anything.
I've found that the arms on mine stay in, but are NOT difficult to remove. I've had BAFs that are more secure, even the Mr. Fantastic figure where you can swap the lab coat on, puts up much more of a fight. However, I've had Mattel "Collect N Connect" figures from the DCUC days that feel about as secure as Hordak's arms feel. Like they'll stay in, but it doesn't take a lot of effort to pull them out. Despite that, I love the options he has and agree that he's among the best of the line. I think he really earns that deluxe classification.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:48 pm

I opened 40th He-Man yesterday, and he's pretty much what you'd expect. I think he has more paint apps on the skin, the face, the body. There are subtle washes and oversprays throughout the tunic, boots. The head sculpt is great. Somewhat softer than the Classics offerings of the updated vintage head. His puffy chest does look out of place, as someone else had mentioned. I think it would have been fine with the original chest, because it does look inflated or something. The articulation is again, what you'd expect, however, he does come with that vertical wrist hinge so he can "hold his Power Sword aloft!" finally.

I like this one way more than the Mattel Creations 2pk, which I don't mind having for posterity to keep packaged. But I don't need die cast chrome weapons; plastic does just fine. I also think that between all of the Skeletors that have been released, one could be cobbled together to be his equal. I think New Eternia has the right parts, and the RIse of Evil set still has my favorite Skeletor head released between Masterverse and Origins so far. Nice to have these iconic versions. I've been trying to put a minimal display of '80s heroes and villains together, and these will go great with S7 Lion-O and Mumm-Ra the Everliving, the toon Turtles and Shredder, MP Optimus and Megatron. Still not sure who will rep GI Joe.
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:07 am

You know, sometimes I think about dropping this line and just solely sticking to Origins. I like Masterverse, but I have the ENTIRE MOTU Classics collection. And I mean entire. Any figure with alternate heads or display possibilities I bought multiple times to display each way. I bought multiple army builders, multiple beasts, multiple vehicles. I knew it was the best He-Man collection that would ever be, and just went all in.

So, it feels odd sometimes to buy the Masterverse line, because even though it's cool, it will never compare to MOTU Classics. But I like some figures and their unique or Classic looks in Masterverse. Like the New Eternia figures. But it feels strange to only buy a few figures from this line. I don't know why that feels weird. It just does. And they don't scale well with any other MOTU lines. So, it's not like I can just buy the NE figures and display them with my Classics, because I feel they don't go well together.

I don't know. It's hard to decide. I have everything Masterverse that's been released so far except Deluxe She-Ra and Hordak. I don't know if I should stop, or if I should keep going.

Anyone else have this dilemma either when the line started, or later on as the line progressed?
Ro-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:28 am

I’m the opposite. I originally wanted to collect both lines but the aggravation of finding Origins in my area at the time was too much. Just decided to stick with Masterverse since it seemed less infuriating. Times can change though.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:34 am

Super Camel wrote:
You know, sometimes I think about dropping this line and just solely sticking to Origins. I like Masterverse, but I have the ENTIRE MOTU Classics collection. And I mean entire. Any figure with alternate heads or display possibilities I bought multiple times to display each way. I bought multiple army builders, multiple beasts, multiple vehicles. I knew it was the best He-Man collection that would ever be, and just went all in.

So, it feels odd sometimes to buy the Masterverse line, because even though it's cool, it will never compare to MOTU Classics. But I like some figures and their unique or Classic looks in Masterverse. Like the New Eternia figures. But it feels strange to only buy a few figures from this line. I don't know why that feels weird. It just does. And they don't scale well with any other MOTU lines. So, it's not like I can just buy the NE figures and display them with my Classics, because I feel they don't go well together.

I don't know. It's hard to decide. I have everything Masterverse that's been released so far except Deluxe She-Ra and Hordak. I don't know if I should stop, or if I should keep going.

Anyone else have this dilemma either when the line started, or later on as the line progressed?

What I'm sticking to with Masterverse is a combination of my absolute favorite characters in cool looks, because I'll always buy that stuff, and the things that you never got in Classics in some way. Whether that be Revelation-specific stuff that didn't exist for Classics (like the first Evil-Lyn), or new concepts (like some of the New Eternia stuff). In this line that's really what interests me. PARTLY because 'we already got that in Classics' does set in a bit, but also because of 'a remake of that look literally exists for cheaper in Origins.' Like.. I don't need a Masterverse 'classic-style' Man-at-Arms because I JUST bought an Origins classic-style Man-at-Arms. I only need one or the other to scratch the itch.

My Masterverse collection is still very small right now, mostly for those reasons. Very little is something I consider essential to adding to my MOTU collection, especially with Origins trucking along and giving me such a hefty bit of world-building already. And I guess also because Masterverse figures are not inexpensive -and- haven't been easy to find locally unless I want Stinkor. Which I do. In Origins.
ShadowBlaze
Faster than a speeding bullet

Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:13 am

I have a near-complete Classics collection (missing the larger vehicles and playsets as well as the original SDCC '08 King G.), and I also figured I could easily skip Masterverse, especially when the first waves of rather drab Revelations figures were released. That said, this has become a fun line to cherry-pick thanks to New Eternia and the new standard proportions and articulation used for most figures. In no way does Masterverse replace or even compare to Classics, but I like acquiring versions of my favourite characters that differ from what came before. On top of that, I do have some concerns for how well the Classics figures themselves have aged (some of the plastics feel more brittle now), and given their relative rarity and sometimes disturbingly high collector-market values, I don't necessarily wish to handle them anymore than cleaning my displays requires. Masterverse (as well as Origins) provides something entertaining and tactile that I don't have to worry about accidentally ruining. I have zero interest in going all-in on this line, but I'm always eager and hopeful for new wave reveals since the figures I have picked up have been more fun than I ever expected them to be.
Tenement Funster
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:12 am

chaosMonkeyPoo wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:12 pm
All the commotion about the Hordak fig over at BBTS made me decide to just snag one now while I guaranteed still could at Target and boy am I glad I did. Was a little concerned that some review copies had arms that fell out really easy but mine (so far) seem to connect pretty firmly. And I have to say, this figure is easily up there with the better figures in the line - like they've really found their footing with the last wave or two. Typical great articulation and great sculpting on the new parts so its hard to really complain about anything.
I like Entertainment Earth but they're always so late. Wiish I'd seen Hordak on Target. 40th will be delivered tomorrow(Sat) and I am giddy!
bezem
Avengers Assemble

Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:45 pm

Super Camel wrote:

I came into the property with 200X so for me MOTUC, though I have it and love it, was always a compromise. Masterverse is what I wanted Classics to be.

Only Masterverse figure I've had a problem finding is Teela from Wave 4. Still looking for her.
mrboshek
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:58 pm

I ordered a 40th He-Man from Target yesterday with the 10/2 ship date and they actually created a shipping label this afternoon. I just automatically assume Target is going to push out a date.
Jase
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:27 pm

My 40th He-Man from Target arrived yesterday. I don’t think I need any other MV He-Man figure. They did a fantastic job and the packaging is how the entire MV line should be. Much more eye catching! Hopefully the 40th Skeletor will be a regular retail release as well.
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:41 pm

I was at Target last night looking for new Marvel Legends & I stumbled upon Origins Mantenna & 3 Masterverse She-Ra's. As I was looking over the various She-Ra's for the best paint apps, an employee entered the aisle with 3 Hordaks. If you're picky like I am, watch out for the black diamond below Hordak's chin. The paint was really sloppy on 2 of the 3.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:20 am

I’ve got the entire Origins run so far, and was debating dropping Masterverse, but in the end I’ll keep going. I like how Masterverse isn’t just recreations of what we get in Origins and Classics, but rather a new spin on some old looks.

I think I’m looking forward to that Battle Armor He-Man more then anything.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:42 pm

Roufuss wrote: I think I’m looking forward to that Battle Armor He-Man more then anything.
My son, who has now kind of moved mostly away from playing with toys more than just occasionally, has asked me at least once every week or two when that figure is coming out, ever since it was first shown. For some reason it hit the top of his want list right away and he never shook it.
Admittedly, though, it's a really cool looking version of He-Man and I am also excited to have it.

Return to “Castle Grayskull: The Unofficial MOTU Toy Board”