Masterverse: 7” He-Man line

I HAVE THE POWER! - Masters of the Universe Classics, MOTU200X, the vintage toys, PoP and yes, even NA - talk about them in here!
GrumpyMatt
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Masterverse: 7” He-Man line

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:02 pm

Megazarak wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:49 pm
Good to see that Beast Man has the darker fur patches on his various parts, which I think is solidly indicative that they'll hit all the details on the characters. I also like the thickness of his limbs compared to the others, and that hopefully applies to his height to the others too.
Spikor looks really good, and Man-At-Arms looks a fair bit better than he did in the packaged shot, I think.
Teela, who I thought looked excellent in the packaged shot, doesn't seem to look as good here.
Good to see them all out of package via these preview pics.

A few more pics over on TNI, including back shots on all of them (showing how the armour on Spikor and MAA attach). https://toynewsi.com/241-39768
Thanks for posting the link, the additional pics of Beast Man, particularly the closeup on the head, make him a lot more appealing than what I've seen so far.

There's no helping Teela, though.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:03 pm

Got my first Masterverse figure in hand... Moss Man. And while I like the execution overall I really was hoping the head wouldn't seem so tiny once in hand. I just really hate the pin headedness of these figures and it has me rethinking my pre-orders for Wave 2 and beyond. These are absolutely 6 inch figure heads on 7 inch figure bodies and it's problematic for me. I worry Spikor and Beastman will be even worse since Spikor has bulky armor overlay that may exaggerate further how small the head is compared to the torso and Beastman's body proportions are bigger so again the head may seem even tinier.

I really enjoyed revelations and I want to love these figures but man I wish they were just a little better.
Jd1000
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:29 am

PantherCult wrote:
Got my first Masterverse figure in hand... Moss Man. And while I like the execution overall I really was hoping the head wouldn't seem so tiny once in hand. I just really hate the pin headedness of these figures and it has me rethinking my pre-orders for Wave 2 and beyond. These are absolutely 6 inch figure heads on 7 inch figure bodies and it's problematic for me. I worry Spikor and Beastman will be even worse since Spikor has bulky armor overlay that may exaggerate further how small the head is compared to the torso and Beastman's body proportions are bigger so again the head may seem even tinier.

I really enjoyed revelations and I want to love these figures but man I wish they were just a little better.
Give it some time the line is young and still lots more :wink:
DavAnthony
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:45 am

Repainting continues. Also resculpted Skeletor's eye sockets to look more sinister.
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:55 am

Very cool, very cool.

Preordered Teela and Beast Man. Still need to decide whether I'm gonna collect this line beyond Skeletor/He-Man/Battle Cat but even if I decide not to, those two will make for great custom fodder.
NORM
My Thread USED to be Bigger Than Yours

Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:45 am

Great paint jobs, DavAnthony. Still, I don’t think paint does enough to help that He-Man head sculpt. Stop smiling!! Why are you smiling?!?
Megazarak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:24 pm

In his various scenes in the first episode of the show he was actually smiling a lot. Smiling when he turns Cringer to Battle Cat, smiling when he saves Duncan, in the various flashbacks with Teela, etc. If it's actually a character trait/quirk here (kind of like a a Superman or even All Might smile to give the people hope), then I'm ok with it.

And like others have said, if one character is going to get additional figures that isn't named Skeletor, it's He-Man. Both of them need a head refresher, I think, and I assume they'll both get it.
NORM
My Thread USED to be Bigger Than Yours

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:11 pm

I still haven’t watched Revelation, but if there’s a legit reason he’s smiling, then that’s fine. Is he smiling because he’s smug? Because it looks like a smug smile.
Megazarak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:52 pm

Ya, not saying the smile on the figure is particularly accurate to the show, but I'm not sure, he just kinda looks like he's having a good time most of the time. He did kind of give Cringer a :] kind of smug smile when he was trying to run away from being turned into Battle Cat.
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:49 pm

I prefer more neutral expressions on figures, but He-Man seemed to genuinely enjoy being a hero in Revelations and smiled a lot, so I get why they did it with the figure. It was less smug and more like he was honestly having a good time saving the day. More Superman than smug. (Though the smile at Cringer bugged me because that poor cat, man, he just wants to be a house cat and be left alone...)
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:17 pm

Jd1000 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:29 am
PantherCult wrote:
Got my first Masterverse figure in hand... Moss Man. And while I like the execution overall I really was hoping the head wouldn't seem so tiny once in hand. I just really hate the pin headedness of these figures

Give it some time the line is young and still lots more :wink:
But why should I have confidence that they will fix the tiny head issue? They had to see it and decided that's what they wanted to make. Since it appears to have been a deliberate design choice and not a production error I'm not sure why I should believe they will change course.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:14 pm

PantherCult wrote: But why should I have confidence that they will fix the tiny head issue? They had to see it and decided that's what they wanted to make. Since it appears to have been a deliberate design choice and not a production error I'm not sure why I should believe they will change course.
It's a common complaint. There's no reason to discount the idea entirely that they may try to meet collectors half-way somehow. It really wouldn't take too much of an increase in size to at least alleviate the pinheadedness, if not make the heads truly well-scaled. Not saying they'll do it. Just can't yet say that they -won't-.

And, of course, we don't have any way of knowing if this is a design decision for JUST Revelation-related figures or for all of Masterverse. We have no idea how they're planning to handle non-Revelation figures yet. They may have quite a different design aesthetic. It may be like Legends, where everything is designed to fit together regardless of source, or it may be more like DCC where different bits of the lore have their own aesthetic.

And yeah.. He-Man smiles a lot. I don't begrudge them the sculpt and I really don't get why some people dislike it so much. But I'm all for different expression options in my action figures, which is why I'm hoping a 'Deluxe' He-Man comes along with a different face, or multiple faces.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:56 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:14 pm
It's a common complaint. There's no reason to discount the idea entirely that they may try to meet collectors half-way somehow. It really wouldn't take too much of an increase in size to at least alleviate the pinheadedness, if not make the heads truly well-scaled. Not saying they'll do it. Just can't yet say that they -won't-.
That's fair I guess, though maybe ironic (or at least unexpected) coming from you who often laments the lack of lessons learned by Mattel over the years :D
And, of course, we don't have any way of knowing if this is a design decision for JUST Revelation-related figures or for all of Masterverse. We have no idea how they're planning to handle non-Revelation figures yet. They may have quite a different design aesthetic. It may be like Legends, where everything is designed to fit together regardless of source, or it may be more like DCC where different bits of the lore have their own aesthetic.
Also a decent point. Clearly I don't have a lot of faith in Mattel, but I can wait and see if they make some changes.
DavAnthony
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:03 pm

I honestly would rather have the "pinheadedness" then the HUGE noggin that ML does sometimes. The Thanos/ Stark two pack is absurd in how big the unmasked Stark head is. Looks like a bobble head.

With this line of you look at the size of He-Man's muscle mass and the human head is not going to get bigger because of muscle build. Look at Hugh Jackman for instance. Tall guy and his head looks smaller depending on how bulked up he gets.

They could pop the heads by about 5% but more than that then you'll take away from the more heroic proportions I think they are aiming for.
DavAnthony
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:07 pm

NORM wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:45 am
Great paint jobs, DavAnthony. Still, I don’t think paint does enough to help that He-Man head sculpt. Stop smiling!! Why are you smiling?!?
Thanks Norm, the smile is actually growing on me. Different angles give it a bit more edge. In some cases it looks more to me like he's about to kick some a$$ and is taking pleasure in that concept. So a warrior smugly smiling before a battle is the definition of toughness but I can also see if sobriety just wanted a more stoic or angry look how this wouldn't work for them.

Return to “Castle Grayskull: The Unofficial MOTU Toy Board”