Masterverse: 7” He-Man line

I HAVE THE POWER! - Masters of the Universe Classics, MOTU200X, the vintage toys, PoP and yes, even NA - talk about them in here!
NORM
My Thread USED to be Bigger Than Yours
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Masterverse: 7” He-Man line

Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:40 pm

Yesterday I came across just Moss Man and Evil Lyn at Target. No He-Man or Skeletor. Lots of Skelegod and Battle Cat from previous weeks.
Falling Downer
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:15 am

I came across a pair of Moss Men yesterday. He looked really good. I ALMOST bought one but didn't.

I think I'm going to cave and get into this line, but I need to find He-Man first. Sounds weird maybe, but with MOTU, I always need to start it off with the big guy. It actually feels weird to me to get other figures before I have him in hand. Like some sort of toy superstition or OCD.

I am having a REALLY hard time getting into Skelegod. Skeletor is one of my all-time favorite villains (second only to Darth Vader), but I'm just not digging that figure when I see it in package. Does anyone that has him in hand and loves him want to convince me to buy it? :)
NORM
My Thread USED to be Bigger Than Yours

Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:17 am

I’m kinda the same way. Makes no sense to have any supporting character, not even Skeletor, if I don’t have He-Man. If there’s only one figure to own at all, it has to be the namesake of the line. (That notion confused the hell out of me when I was introduced to GI Joe in the ‘80s, but I figured it out eventually.)

I have so far passed on Skelegod. He is in no way tempting. I never even take a closer look at it. Nothing about it communicates that this is Skeletor or a MotU character at all, so I will be passing on it forever. That may be my problem with the Revelations figures. Teela and Evil Lyn are examples of redesigns that no longer have recognizable character qualities. They’re so generic and barely identifiable as the character they’re supposed to be. Major turn off.
Jd1000
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:48 pm

I passed on skelegod first time then picked him up and then returned him. Maybe I’ll change my mind when the second part comes out but I like the traditional core of guys. I don’t mind the reimagining of the main characters but skeleton just doesn’t fit in my head as the main overlord...not yet anyway.
zodach
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:55 pm

As a fan of many of the variants over the years, including some of the crazy 200X versions, even I passed on Skelegod. It just doesn't appeal to me at all.
Jd1000
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:21 pm

Amazon and target now have the revelation figures posted. Some are in stock and some are pre order. In stock Amazon are $45 but pre order is 19.99z. I got skeleton and evil lyn on ore order at amazon.
MagnusPrimal
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:38 pm

I pre-ordered Evil-Lyn on Amazon. I’d like to place a big order at Target to take advantage of their coupon, but I don’t have any confidence that I would actually get the figures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:36 pm

Falling Downer wrote: I think I'm going to cave and get into this line, but I need to find He-Man first. Sounds weird maybe, but with MOTU, I always need to start it off with the big guy. It actually feels weird to me to get other figures before I have him in hand. Like some sort of toy superstition or OCD.
Dude! I bought the Sky Sled with Adam as my first Origins item and after not finding He-Man for weeks, I legitimately thought I somehow cursed myself for not getting He-Man first. Then I reminded myself that I did, technically, get King Grayskull before He-Man in MOTUC, since KG was the 'preview exclusive' at SDCC before the line actually launched. Still, I was actually angry at myself for days. Haha.

Falling Downer wrote: I am having a REALLY hard time getting into Skelegod.
Jd1000 wrote: I don’t mind the reimagining of the main characters but skeleton just doesn’t fit in my head as the main overlord...not yet anyway.
zodach wrote: even I passed on Skelegod. It just doesn't appeal to me at all.
Small sample size here on Fwoosh, but this does seem to be the prevailing opinion, doesn't it?
My son really wants the figure, but I'm definitely not at all interested in it.
I see where they were going with the design, and I see how they -think- the important elements are all there to say 'this is Skeletor, but scarier.' But I just.... eh. I'm not feeling it. It feels over-designed, or just messily-designed. Like dropping an MCU costume into the Golden Age comics. It just looks off.
You know what it actually reminds me of a bit? The first Classified Series Scarlet. Just too much of everything all crammed into one figure and it looks a mess.
Aleks
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:19 pm

I have long wanted to buy some good MOTU figures. I did not collect old mattel line, some Super 7 figures didn't look good either.

I like the look and arciculation of this line, but that He-Man and Skeletor heads sculpts just ruin everything for me. Especially Skeletor.

Man-At-Arms, Beast Man, Moss Man and others look [email protected]#$ cool though. Goddammit, Mattel.
KnightDamien

Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:39 pm

Aleks wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:19 pm
I have long wanted to buy some good MOTU figures. I did not collect old mattel line, some Super 7 figures didn't look good either.

I like the look and arciculation of this line, but that He-Man and Skeletor heads sculpts just ruin everything for me. Especially Skeletor.

Man-At-Arms, Beast Man, Moss Man and others look [email protected]#$ cool though. Goddammit, Mattel.
I think the plus side of not liking the He-Man in a He-Man line is that you KNOW there will be more. You may never see another Moss Man or Jitsu, for example, but you're almost guaranteed to end up with more He-Man options.
Jd1000
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:04 pm

So you guys think Mattel plans to go deep into this line? I mean origins is pretty deep so far and I recall mattel being fairly expansive with the dc multiverse line. I really hope they keep both origins and revelations going for awhile.

Would love to see revelations get the mini comic tie ins from time to time to help tell more adventures.
TheCollector1999
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:29 pm

I see them getting far in the masterverse line but I think it will be other series included besides revelations in the next year or so
KnightDamien

Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:31 pm

Jd1000 wrote: So you guys think Mattel plans to go deep into this line? I mean origins is pretty deep so far and I recall mattel being fairly expansive with the dc multiverse line. I really hope they keep both origins and revelations going for awhile.
The indication we got from Mattel way back when this line was announced (or shortly after) was that.. yeah, it's going to go as far as consumers will take it. That sounds so wrong.......

They've already said Masterverse isn't -just- Revelation figures. So clearly they've got plans beyond making just some figures from the new cartoon and calling it a day. I'm right with you in hoping Mattel finds a good balance to keep Origins and Masterverse going for years to come.
Jd1000
Runs Around in Tights

Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:47 pm

Pretty good vid about Mattel’s motivation. I’ll say this about Mattel, in my experience they do a much better job than hasbro in try8ng to get the licensed properties product out in stores and in varied and available amounts:

https://youtu.be/6Tl5mAPiRZ0
KnightDamien

Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:17 pm

You almost got me with that link to the lying twatwaffle.

Little bit of wishlisting here after starting the -THIRD- watch of this show with my son (and new for this watch through.. my wife as well).

I want a new He-Man figure. I'm not hating on the one we got. But just from watching the show I think here are small changes they can make that will make me absolutely buy a Deluxe He-Man without hesitation. The first and foremost thing I want is metallics. I want a SILVER harness and SILVER sword (and shield). I want Bronze/Brass belt, bracelet, and vambrace. The colors look really good in the show, but the figure is so flat and lifeless by comparison.
I really don't have a problem with He-Man's current head, but I do think they should throw in the head from the Faker figure as well.

Up-down wrist hinges for gripping hands. A -set- of fists. And a -set- of 'grabby/gesturing' sort of hands. Just ditch the saluting hand. We don't need that.

I know the 'small head' thing is apparently just part of the aesthetic they're choosing, so I'm opting to ask for things that I think they -might- be willing to do. I don't expect they're going to give us a new Revelation He-Man with totally re-scaled, new heads. But I think just the changes I mentioned would make for possibly the best He-Man figure we've ever had. Especially if they throw in just a bit more paint for more definition.

Return to “Castle Grayskull: The Unofficial MOTU Toy Board”