Masterverse: 7” He-Man line

I HAVE THE POWER! - Masters of the Universe Classics, MOTU200X, the vintage toys, PoP and yes, even NA - talk about them in here!
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Masterverse: 7” He-Man line

Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:22 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:11 am
Super Camel wrote: I feel almost exactly about this He-Man show as I do the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy. It had some aspects I liked, but overall I didn't like it. Speaking of the Sequel trilogy, it really felt like Smith near copied it in so many ways for Revelations.
Bummer that you weren't into it! Maybe Season 2 will get you back in, depending on what they do. Or not.
I don't think Smith copied anything from Star Wars. More that both things have similar beats common to modern fantasy/fiction. Especially when you subvert tropes and stuff -- a lot of it becomes a bit samey sometimes (also true in fantasy books and video games - just like the 'chosen one farmer' was once a major trope you saw everywhere, or the true king with a magic sword).

Super Camel wrote: But, while I didn't love the show, there were some cool character designs that should make for some cool toys.
Even though I -do- like the show, what I'm looking forward to is actually seeing Mattel properly open up Masterverse to -everything- MOTU. I definitely want to see more Revelations designs, but I also want to see what else they plan to do with this line. I need a Filmation-ish Mer-Man, and a He-Man with a normal-size head. Haha.

I'm really excited about the potential of the Masterverse line as well. So many different Cartoons, Comics, Mini Comics, toys, and artwork to base the figures on. To think of having such a variety of different iterations of MOTU characters in toy form all in one scale, like DC or Marvel get with the likes of McFarlane's Multiverse or Hasbro's Marvel Legends is like a dream come true.

Normal sized heads going forward would be a great upgrade as well lol.

As far as the cartoon, there were things that I just didn't like, or for whatever reason didn't sit well, which most of I can't go into because I don't want to spoil anything. Some of the character choices didn't feel like the characters I know and love. And a couple of elements just didn't feel, for a lack of a better term, very Motu'y. But in no way did I hate it, and I will definitely check out the rest.

Some of the things I did like were the Animation, some of the new character looks, designs, and attires, and definitely the choices for the voice actors. Episode 1 really kicked it off well, and the looks and attires there were a definite nostalgia kick.

And I really liked the scenes with Scareglow.

It really does remind me of my half and half feelings towards the Sequel Trilogy. There are parts, characters, and elements I enjoy, and then those that just feel wrong or even bad.

And when I said Kevin "Copied" the sequel trilogy, what you said is exactly what I meant. Not that he actually copied anything, but just that some of his choices and patterns, the beats as you put it, reminded me of certain aspects of the Sequel Trilogy. You just said it WAY better :lol:
hotmitts
HULK SMASH!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:50 am

Super Camel wrote:
KnightDamien wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:11 am
Super Camel wrote: I feel almost exactly about this He-Man show as I do the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy. It had some aspects I liked, but overall I didn't like it. Speaking of the Sequel trilogy, it really felt like Smith near copied it in so many ways for Revelations.
Bummer that you weren't into it! Maybe Season 2 will get you back in, depending on what they do. Or not.
I don't think Smith copied anything from Star Wars. More that both things have similar beats common to modern fantasy/fiction. Especially when you subvert tropes and stuff -- a lot of it becomes a bit samey sometimes (also true in fantasy books and video games - just like the 'chosen one farmer' was once a major trope you saw everywhere, or the true king with a magic sword).

Super Camel wrote: But, while I didn't love the show, there were some cool character designs that should make for some cool toys.
Even though I -do- like the show, what I'm looking forward to is actually seeing Mattel properly open up Masterverse to -everything- MOTU. I definitely want to see more Revelations designs, but I also want to see what else they plan to do with this line. I need a Filmation-ish Mer-Man, and a He-Man with a normal-size head. Haha.

For me, re-imagining an older franchise in a more 'adult' way, harkens back to Frank Millers Dark Knight, plus some Alan Moore comics, and now it's become more widespread with the Star Wars sequels and maybe other things.

Revelations worked for me because the old TV shows were formulaic and episodic, and it would have been a mistake to just go back to that. I like that this is a character-driven epic with twists and turns. I think it will be a success and hopefully lead to more quality animations. Want to see a real 'Savage He-Man' type version myself. Hope they don't try live action because it just wouldn't work .

Still haven't seen the toys here in the UK...yes let's hope they open up the line to versions from more than just Revelations...and grow them heads up a bit. My favourite toy versions are the Classics Movie-based ones ( think William Stout and Mobius were both involved in the design of that movie so that's probably why - although I have mixed feelings about the movie itself)
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:38 am

Dammit, this is a much better reproduction of how Skeletor looked in the show. Why couldn't Mattel release something as cool?
hotmitts
HULK SMASH!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:47 am

Shinigami_PL wrote:
Dammit, this is a much better reproduction of how Skeletor looked in the show. Why couldn't Mattel release something as cool?
Nice ! But $160 dollars worth of reasons lol
The Gill-Man
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:53 pm

JTMarsh wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:36 am
Having finished with the first 5 episodes of PART 1 I have to say I enjoyed most of the show overall. Most of the characters being in an "exile" style makes a lot more sense with the plot, and most of the story has gone about where I thought it would. I didn't find most of it overall particularly "woke", and I didn't get the impression that Teela and her friend were alluded to being in a relationship like some have said. Overall I got the impression that Teela moreso holds a torch for Prince Adam/He-Man much like EvilLyn does for Skeletor. Some of the plot points probably were shocking and I could see where it would make some fans mad. But being of a certain age I could see a lot of comparisons between this and when I first saw The Empire Strikes Back, and remember Wolverine having his adamantium ripped out in the X-Men comics and leaving the team. The first mistake is in assuming that it's going to last forever. Luke got a new hand, Han didn't stay frozen as a piece of wall art, and Wolverine only had to lose his nose briefly before getting his adamantium back. So for all the "negative" things that happened throughout those 5 episodes, a lot of it just struck me as the down-note that happens before the heroes rally and make a comeback in the next episode(s). I thought the animation and voice acting were good. I enjoyed the show's use of the rotons, lesser known toys, and especially the bits with Scareglow, despite never having cared about the character previously. We haven't even seen Ram Man, Mechaneck, BuzzOff, Stratos, Sy-Klone, or much of the rest of the side character cast. So I imagine the second part of the series will be more in line with what people were expecting initially upon seeing the trailer. I'd say the previously posted review of 7 out of 10 was a reasonable score overall.
Nice review, and I think your comparison to Empire Strikes Back is dead-on. Perfect way to describe it! Makes me realize how badly folks would have reacted to that flick if the internet had been around then!

Super Camel wrote:

As far as the cartoon, there were things that I just didn't like, or for whatever reason didn't sit well, which most of I can't go into because I don't want to spoil anything. Some of the character choices didn't feel like the characters I know and love. And a couple of elements just didn't feel, for a lack of a better term, very Motu'y. But in no way did I hate it, and I will definitely check out the rest.

Some of the things I did like were the Animation, some of the new character looks, designs, and attires, and definitely the choices for the voice actors. Episode 1 really kicked it off well, and the looks and attires there were a definite nostalgia kick.

And I really liked the scenes with Scareglow.

It really does remind me of my half and half feelings towards the Sequel Trilogy. There are parts, characters, and elements I enjoy, and then those that just feel wrong or even bad.

And when I said Kevin "Copied" the sequel trilogy, what you said is exactly what I meant. Not that he actually copied anything, but just that some of his choices and patterns, the beats as you put it, reminded me of certain aspects of the Sequel Trilogy. You just said it WAY better :lol:
Now THIS is how you do a "negative" review. While I enjoyed the show, you make great points, and your complaints are well thought out. You address issues with the characterizations, without getting hyperbolic or overly upset because this isn't "your" MOTU, and I really respect that. This is the kind of thing that the Fwoosh has always been about, and the recent influx of whiny, ridiculous outrage has had me rather discouraged. Thank you, for restoring my faith in my fellow Fwooshers!
Shinigami_PL wrote:
Okay, guess we need to wait for one of the great casting folks to shrink these heads down and sell them! I think I'll keep the Classics head on mine for now, in the hopes that THIS eventually gets reproduced as a third-party offering.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:30 pm

The Mondo figure looks REALLY good. But yeah.. that price point. I MAY be interested in He-Man when they get to him, though. I never got into their regular 1:6 line in large part because I absolutely [email protected]#$ despise their redesign of He-Man on every level. And no He-Man means no MOTU collection for me.

So, hopefully no one considers this a spoiler: Oo-Lar did NOT appear in the first five episodes of this show. But he IS listed as an upcoming Deluxe figure. Anyone want to speculate? Are we going to see him in the show, or is Oo-Lar the first semi-confirmed Masterverse figure that is not Revelation?
Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:34 pm

After watching the show, would have really liked to have seen Teela in the first wave and one particular character pushed back for a bigger reveal.
Spoiler! :
I get Skelegod was supposed to be a big twist, a big OMG moment, but when it was Episode 5 and he still wasn’t a thing despite having a toy, it was super easy to guess he would be the big thing as a cliffhanger. They should have released the figure a few weeks after the show premiered to not ruin the twist. But I guess they also spoiled Orko in advance too, so who knows.
Also, really didn’t enjoy Mark Hamill as Skeletor. He just sounded like Joker from BTAS most of the time to me.
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:53 pm

Wave 2 with 2 pre and 2 post time skip looks.
Megazarak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:54 pm

Veebs just posted some pics on Twitter.

Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:00 pm

Would have preferred all post time skips. Time skip Man At Arms was awesome.

Also oof, Teela’s knee joint is the same color as the pad.
drkknght64
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:32 pm

The figures look good but I don't know anything about Spikor but no big deal.
I guess I'm just going to have to deal with the idea Mattel is going to use cloth material where they can get away with it.
It looks good on Beastman but still.
Megazarak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:44 pm

Beast Man's loin cloth is definitely sculpted plastic. It is sculpted very nicely to look like cloth though.

Spikor looks the best, I'd say, and comes with nice accessories.
Teela looks good too, and it's good that she comes with a solid array of accessories.
Beast Man looks bare and a bit small. With how basic his design is, I think he needs that bigger size. It'll be good to see him out of package and if his size is actually underwhelming. Excellent sculpt throughout thought.
Duncan looks pretty good too, but he also feels a bit bare, perhaps because he only has his mace. I thought I would have preferred the classic look originally, but I also would have probably preferred the time skip look. An unhelmeted head would have been nice as well.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:54 pm

I find Spikor really confusing. He's based on the new show, but instead of updating his weapon (which we don't actually see in the show at all), they give him a straight re-do of his vintage toy weapon. Which looks really out of place in the Revelation group. They even kept the stupid knuckle-bow and lack of paint. I suppose I can be glad that I've never cared about the character.

MAA looks really good. His weapon is also weird. I'd have to watch again to see if his mace is accurate. Weird if it is because that means they went to the trouble of rescaling/re-styling He-Man's sword to be more realistic/sensible, but went ahead and made MAA's mace even bigger and more ludicrous than it's ever been before. But as was said above, I kind of prefer post-skip MAA anyway, so I'll probably pass on this version.

I like Teela a lot in the show, but aesthetically, I actually really hate the 'give it kneepads to make it look sci-fi' thing, and just generally don't like her costume very much. I don't see myself buying that figure. And god.. even just looking at the toy version reminds me of how much I [email protected]#$ despise that stupid omni-tool she carries around. If anything came close to ruining the show, it was that stupid thing.

Beast Man looks great. Strange that they didn't make him a bit bigger. Maybe not so much taller, but his upper body looks really narrow compared to how he looked in the animation. But I'll grant that it's hard to tell for sure in individual packaged shots. Hopefully Veebs/Robo get this wave in hand soon.

I hope they reveal a pre-skip Teela figure with an alternate 'pissed off, throw the tiara on the ground' angry head. That was a mood I want on the shelf.
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:56 pm

Roufuss wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:00 pm
Would have preferred all post time skips. Time skip Man At Arms was awesome.

Also oof, Teela’s knee joint is the same color as the pad.
Yeah, I think I'd prefer them all to be post time skip as well. I don't have a MOTU collection of any kind and I'm not sure yet how deep I wanna go with this line but having the new looks would probably make me more excited.
Ro-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:58 pm

These look good. Me wants. I’ll have to say that now I can see 3D representation of more characters, Beastman’s design looks kinda boring to me. I think he need more armor or something. Teela’s new hairstyle is now really bugging me. Specifically that one long bang that’s going down the right side of her face. I keep thinking it’s giving her a blind spot when she’s fighting and the hair is constantly swaying in front of her eyes which seems unpractical for this new version. She should have took a cue from Andra and tied it all back. Her old hairstyle at least didn’t get in the way of her sight.

Return to “Castle Grayskull: The Unofficial MOTU Toy Board”