Masters Of The Universe Origins

I HAVE THE POWER! - Masters of the Universe Classics, MOTU200X, the vintage toys, PoP and yes, even NA - talk about them in here!
canprime
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Masters Of The Universe Origins

Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:12 pm

Camo Khan countdown is up on Mattel Creations. Apparently it will be available to preorder on Friday at 9am Pacific.

Price is $30US, but $44 Cdn which I thought was a bit of a rip off, but the exchange works out to a bit under $41Cdn so not quite the excess I thought. At these new prices I don't think I'll be getting more than one unlike the previous releases.
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:55 pm

Great, another portal glitch, what planet is this?

Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:24 am

canprime wrote:
Camo Khan countdown is up on Mattel Creations. Apparently it will be available to preorder on Friday at 9am Pacific.

Price is $30US, but $44 Cdn which I thought was a bit of a rip off, but the exchange works out to a bit under $41Cdn so not quite the excess I thought. At these new prices I don't think I'll be getting more than one unlike the previous releases.
The price seems a bit steep for this figure. I know the basic figures are nearly $20 US now, and I know Camo Khan is made in much smaller quantities, but $30 before tax and shipping still seems like a bit much, because this figure is going to end up costing $40

Like you said, I will probably just be getting one of each specialty figure now instead of 2. So, is this going to be where you can just casually pre order it throughout the day as it's made to order, or is this back to the old ways of every man for himself until it sells out in under a minute?
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:33 am

Gonna skip Camo Khan at that price. I've no attachment to the character.
canprime
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:36 am

Super Camel wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:24 am
canprime wrote:

The price seems a bit steep for this figure. I know the basic figures are nearly $20 US now, and I know Camo Khan is made in much smaller quantities, but $30 before tax and shipping still seems like a bit much, because this figure is going to end up costing $40

Like you said, I will probably just be getting one of each specialty figure now instead of 2. So, is this going to be where you can just casually pre order it throughout the day as it's made to order, or is this back to the old ways of every man for himself until it sells out in under a minute?
It's not specified anywhere on the page, or in the email they sent out. All they specify is that it is DTC (Direct To Consumer). Hopefully they are continuing the Made To Order trend like with Wundar and Grizzlor. Maybe they'll do the two tier system again (hopefully not) where there is the initial batch available immediately, and then a second batch preorder.

Either way I hope they clarify that before it goes live.
mikeysee
Avengers Assemble

Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:52 pm

I think it's limited quantities, but I could see them bringing it back for a 2-day preorder window like they did with Wundar. It's kind of a win-win for them, as the super fast sellout makes it seem like a hot collectible, and then bringing it back makes it seem like they're consumer friendly and listening to the fans. They'll also get more sales in that second window from FOMO-ers that missed out the first time.

I really don't like the new price but I'll probably still go for it. It's a cool figure, and with the alternate heads you can always display it along with the standard release and consider it a different character. Problem with that is, you'd have to actually open it... I have yet to be able to bring myself to open any of these MC releases. Maybe they'll start using collector-friendly packaging like they're doing with King Grayskull.
mikeysee
Avengers Assemble

Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:12 pm

Camo Khan is up for any that are as big of a sucker as I am and couldn't resist. $39.26 with shipping and tax. The clincher was realizing the standard version doesn't come with the alt head. I prefer the hooded look.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:38 pm

Does the Origins comic Trap-Jaw glow in the dark? His green almost looks like it would.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:48 pm

mikeysee wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:12 pm
Camo Khan is up for any that are as big of a sucker as I am and couldn't resist. $39.26 with shipping and tax. The clincher was realizing the standard version doesn't come with the alt head. I prefer the hooded look.
The hooded look is much cooler. I'm just not enough of a sucker. I do hope you enjoy the figure though, despite the ridiculous price.
Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:50 pm

Sold out after 30 minutes or so. Sets a new precedent for exclusive pricing now.

I paid it since I’m a fan of the character, but also knowing full well I’m part of the problem and this ensures $30 exclusives from now on.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:54 pm

Hard to swallow the asking price on that Camo Khan... double the cost of a normal Origins figure. I do like that they are using the online spot to feature these types of figures that were adjacent to the original line (Wun-Dar, Camo Khan) or not part of it at all (Kol-Dar). Those are the types of releases I'm attracted to way more than updated versions of the vintage figures. So in the end I paid the stupid asking price.
S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:27 pm

I grabbed one as well, but he's $12.94 more expensive than Grizzlor which I preordered less than 3 months ago...
mattmurdog
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:57 pm

I don't have any attachment to Camo Khan so I skipped, but I love the basic Cobra Khan and I have him on PO. Wundar aside, I'll be skipping on variants.

$40 or an Origins is too stupid rich for my blood. That's right at NECA and import pricing. I mean, the new SH Figuarts Vegeta is priced at $36. They really could have just kept Camo at $25 max even accounting for inflation. Hope there's a variant basic Cobra Khan one of these days with that hooded head, it is very cool.
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:57 pm

I got Camo Khan earlier as well. I kind of thought I wouldn't, because for the price and the fact it's just a variant, I felt I didn't have to have it. But I thought I could either use him as a completely different Snake Man or if I just don't feel I need him at all someday I can sell him, or I could just leave him in the box as a cool display piece in my MOTU set up.
canprime
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:03 am

PantherCult wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:54 pm
Hard to swallow the asking price on that Camo Khan... double the cost of a normal Origins figure. I do like that they are using the online spot to feature these types of figures that were adjacent to the original line (Wun-Dar, Camo Khan) or not part of it at all (Kol-Dar). Those are the types of releases I'm attracted to way more than updated versions of the vintage figures. So in the end I paid the stupid asking price.
mattmurdog wrote: I don't have any attachment to Camo Khan so I skipped, but I love the basic Cobra Khan and I have him on PO. Wundar aside, I'll be skipping on variants.

$40 or an Origins is too stupid rich for my blood. That's right at NECA and import pricing. I mean, the new SH Figuarts Vegeta is priced at $36. They really could have just kept Camo at $25 max even accounting for inflation. Hope there's a variant basic Cobra Khan one of these days with that hooded head, it is very cool.
So......

First off, to give a little credit to Mattel, let's remember that $30US was what they asked for Sun-Man. So this isn't too far afield on pricing. Then on top of that I would argue, as others have, that Camo Khan would probably be a deluxe release if he was at retail, and not a standard figure (due to the extra head, accessories, etc.) So that would be what? $24US, so an extra $6 for an exclusive with a bit fancier packaging may not be too far off.

Second, no longer giving credit to Mattel. If you guys think it was bad for you, here you go......I paid $62.72Cdn after tax and shipping for one!!!!! That works out to $46.47US I definitely feel it, and am with you on it being a stupid price.

Now the question is what is this mystery item that is supposed to be going up on Mattel Creations on Dec. 14th? Anyone know?

Return to “Castle Grayskull: The Unofficial MOTU Toy Board”