Masters Of The Universe Origins

I HAVE THE POWER! - Masters of the Universe Classics, MOTU200X, the vintage toys, PoP and yes, even NA - talk about them in here!
DisneyBoy
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Masters Of The Universe Origins

Sat May 21, 2022 1:09 am

Have Horde Troopers hit Canada yet? I see people scalping them on marketplace so I assume so. But I don't see them on the Walmart.ca site and I thiught they were exclusive to WM....so...
4LOTT
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat May 21, 2022 8:39 pm

Its been showing up here and there at Canadian Walmarts. It’s included, one per case, with Sun Man
Anti Eternia He Man and Clawful
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat May 21, 2022 11:21 pm

DisneyBoy wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 1:09 am
Have Horde Troopers hit Canada yet? I see people scalping them on marketplace so I assume so. But I don't see them on the Walmart.ca site and I thiught they were exclusive to WM....so...
The Walmart.ca site is [email protected]#$ junk. There's almost never anything on there besides this Amazon Marketplace style bullshit that Walmart insists on doing. Don't go by the site to know what's actually out there.

And as was said above - they are just, and only just, starting to make their way into Canadian Walmarts. Not in huge numbers yet like some waves. And you can bet your ass the scalpers are there first thing every morning to snap them up.
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 12:40 am

Horde Troopers have barely hit the states. I got lucky on Target’s app, but haven’t seen a trace since then.
DisneyBoy
Avengers Assemble

Sun May 22, 2022 2:09 am

Thanks for the updates. That's what I figured - some scalpers just got lucky. Sucks that they're one per case. As usual, Mattel plays dumb games.

And man oh man, is that Walmart website insane! No argument here. And yet employees ask "is it on the website?" as if it's reliable.
Falling Downer
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 2:11 am

Yeah. Haven't seen any trace of the Horde Trooper wave in the states, either.

My stores just have remnants of the Sorceress/Jitsu/Buzz-Off/Stratos wave. Mostly Stratos with the occasional Sorceress or Jitsu.
Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 2:22 am

This is why I primarily buy through BBTS. Retail is feast or famine. Months without seeing any waves, then nothing but one wave for 5 months at a time.
KnightDamien

Sun May 22, 2022 2:49 am

Roufuss wrote: This is why I primarily buy through BBTS. Retail is feast or famine. Months without seeing any waves, then nothing but one wave for 5 months at a time.
We've been lucky with Canadian Walmarts still selling at the US prices 1:1. I've been trying really hard to avoid getting any Origins figures from the States because then I'm paying the same price.. plus conversion rate AND shipping. So... I just keep hoping the figures I want will make it up here eventually. But obviously that only is true going forward. The previous stuff like Orko and Ninjor.. I think it's unlikely we ever see those up here. But it's not exactly a feast of new figures. Most Walmarts are still swimming in the Fisto wave. I saw the new Sorceress wave once, passed it up, and I've never seen it again.

DisneyBoy wrote: . Sucks that they're one per case. As usual, Mattel plays dumb games.
I actually thought they came in cases of four -- so everyone is 1 per case now. The first wave was four figures packed one per case, and then separate cases of He-Man and Skeletor. And every case assortment after that has been four figures, one of each figure. Is that not correct?
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 22, 2022 3:13 am

Correct. Sun-Man, Anti-Eternia He-Man, Claw-Ful, & Horde Trooper.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

DisneyBoy
Avengers Assemble

Sun May 22, 2022 3:40 pm

They know its an army builder. Why not two per box and make Sun Man harder to find? It's not like anyone besides the super hardcore fans even knows who he is....
KnightDamien

Sun May 22, 2022 4:53 pm

DisneyBoy wrote:
They know its an army builder. Why not two per box and make Sun Man harder to find? It's not like anyone besides the super hardcore fans even knows who he is....
Because they're all one per case.
But yeah, I'm sure the optics would be amazing if Mattel decided the black guy in the wave that they just did all this press about adding to the MOTU line-up was 1 per every 2 or 3 cases because they didn't think he'd sell. Super idea.

Listen, your logic is bad. It's bad because it applies to everything all the time. Why even MAKE Sun Man? 'He's gonna sell fewer than other figures,'* so why not just make more of those figures? Why not ONLY make the figures you're fairly sure will sell the BEST?

And why Sun Man? You think Anti-Eternia He-Man is going to outsell the Horde Trooper?

*This, by the way, is called an opinion unsubstantiated by facts. We actually have no idea how he'll sell because there's never been a Sun Man in MOTU before. There's no historic sales data to compare it to. Obviously they have a lot of faith in Sun Man bringing in people that might not otherwise be buying, or in fans being very excited about this brand extension, since they're doing all these figures AND a three-pack, it seems. I imagine they've done some market research on this already. Only time will tell and Mattel can't really make decisions based on what a single dude on an Internet message board thinks is a good or bad idea.
DisneyBoy
Avengers Assemble

Mon May 23, 2022 7:33 am

...um...maybe calm down..? No offense but you're coming off very hostile.

My point is merely that Troopers are a guaranteed seller. People will want more than one. People are always looking to buy vintage Troopers...so why not overstock them?

Sun Man's inclusion in the line is strange to me, but whatever, I'm not mad about it.
canprime
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon May 23, 2022 1:07 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 4:53 pm
DisneyBoy wrote:
Because they're all one per case.
But yeah, I'm sure the optics would be amazing if Mattel decided the black guy in the wave that they just did all this press about adding to the MOTU line-up was 1 per every 2 or 3 cases because they didn't think he'd sell. Super idea.

Listen, your logic is bad. It's bad because it applies to everything all the time. Why even MAKE Sun Man? 'He's gonna sell fewer than other figures,'* so why not just make more of those figures? Why not ONLY make the figures you're fairly sure will sell the BEST?

And why Sun Man? You think Anti-Eternia He-Man is going to outsell the Horde Trooper?

*This, by the way, is called an opinion unsubstantiated by facts. We actually have no idea how he'll sell because there's never been a Sun Man in MOTU before. There's no historic sales data to compare it to. Obviously they have a lot of faith in Sun Man bringing in people that might not otherwise be buying, or in fans being very excited about this brand extension, since they're doing all these figures AND a three-pack, it seems. I imagine they've done some market research on this already. Only time will tell and Mattel can't really make decisions based on what a single dude on an Internet message board thinks is a good or bad idea.
I would also suggest going local online retailer if you have that option. I did the Palace Guards through BBTS when they first went up ($17US) and with everything all in, I saved about a dollar per figure against the local guys. However once they went up to $20US it was cheaper to go local. Of course it also helps that local for me means I can just pick up my orders and not pay shipping. I did preorder wave 8, minus Sun Man (sorry Sun Man). Mostly because I didn't want to take the chance, but of course I found wave 8 a couple of times at Walmart now (no Horde Trooper though, so..) and I did pick up Sun Man then. I also lucked out on wave 7 at a Walmart, and yeah those $15Cdn prices are a nice thing in this day and age. So long story short I am now preordering and paying more for those I really want considering the shoddy distribution up here.

As for Sun Man I don't think Mattel did a lot of (external) research before hand in regards to the line. I mean it was a limited toyline for a couple years in the 80s, so what would the general awareness be for the line? When you see the general media presence of nostalgia lines today, especially 80s toy lines, Sun Man didn't register until recently. Yes there were always fans in the collector community but, fairly or unfairly, Joe, TF, MOTU, SW, TMNT really took the lion's share of interest (fan, media, etc). I think, obviously with no knowledge, that the more likely situation is that someone, or someones, on the MOTU team at Mattel was a fan of the Rulers Of The Sun line and pushed to try and get the line included in MOTU considering the history/synergy. Advocacy by team members is probably a bigger influence than we give credit to in toy making. The diverse nature of ROTS also was probably a big plus for the higher ups at Mattel, and then it just came down to cost. If they couldn't make a deal that would allow them to make money, we wouldn't be seeing Sun Man et al now, at least from Mattel.

Then also don't discount sales. Yes Mattel put more resources into the Sun Man push, and they probably wouldn't ever admit to problems with ROTS if sales don't do well, but if the characters don't sell we won't see them again after the initial releases. Much like with every toy company when a line doesn't sell, they quietly make it disappear. Probably the biggest danger to ROTS in MOTU is over production/poor distribution. I mean we all see the ridiculous amounts of certain product just sitting on shelves. That would be a worst case scenario for ROTS because then the decision makers would probably think they are poor sellers, when it just may be a distribution side issue.

As for black repaints, especially of hero characters. That has been a staple of toy lines for at least the last 20 years so I imagine they didn't see much risk in AE He-Man. (Transformers has probably done the most) Again, especially since they already did it in Classics and those recent mini figures (did everyone get an AE repaint in that line?).
DisneyBoy
Avengers Assemble

Mon May 23, 2022 4:04 pm

Which online retailers are best for Canadian customers? Shipping and exchange from US isn't good these days....
DVD
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon May 23, 2022 5:40 pm

Having a fantastic Origins start to the week. Got my Horde Troopers(x2) in yesterday, grabbed vintage head He-Man and Skeletor from Amazon for $26 all together, Anti-Eternia He-Man should be here today, and I snagged the Battle Damaged Battle Armor He-Man/Battle Cat set from the Target App for $24! Clawful should be here tomorrow as well. Very excited!

Return to “Castle Grayskull: The Unofficial MOTU Toy Board”