Masters Of The Universe Origins

I HAVE THE POWER! - Masters of the Universe Classics, MOTU200X, the vintage toys, PoP and yes, even NA - talk about them in here!
canprime
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 505
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:43 pm

Re: Masters Of The Universe Origins

Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:51 pm

mattmurdog wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:41 pm
It'd be cool if it's delayed so they can push out other older waves. *COUGH* Wave 4 *COUGH*
Let me piggy back on your post and say.....Wave1 - 4 for Canada please!!
Lasastard
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:53 am

Re: Masters Of The Universe Origins

Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:55 am

This whole line feels a bit chaotic, specifically the roll-out and availability. I wonder if and how that affects Mattels' bottom line - in some places, the figures are already heavily discounted, in other parts you simply can't get certain waves etc. Seems like a lose-lose for everyone in the long-run (longevity of the line). My go-to store for actionfigures has recently announced that they are no longer allowing pre-orders for Origins, because Mattel has ben unreliable in their deliveries and people tend to cancel their pre-orders as soon as the figures become available elsewhere. While many collectores do this, I think they tend to forget that those places where they pre-order still have to pay for those figures and may end up selling them at a loss down the line.
DVD
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Location: Mad City, WI
Posts: 1764
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:46 am

Re: Masters Of The Universe Origins

Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:29 pm

Got my Palace Guards from BBTS yesterday and they're a ton of fun, especially when paired with some of the already released vehicles like the Jet Sled and Wind Raider. This line is way more fun than it should be!
NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Garden State
Posts: 41163
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:25 pm

Re: Masters Of The Universe Origins

Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:48 pm

DVD wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:29 pm
Got my Palace Guards from BBTS yesterday and they're a ton of fun, especially when paired with some of the already released vehicles like the Jet Sled and Wind Raider. This line is way more fun than it should be!
That's exactly what I planned on doing with my Palace Guards, put 'em on Sky Sleds. Vehicle pilots! I actually have all those extra Prince Adams that came with the sleds as well. Thinking about how I can turn him into some kind of generic army builder also.
canprime
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 505
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:43 pm

Re: Masters Of The Universe Origins

Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:09 pm

NORM wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:48 pm
DVD wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:29 pm
Got my Palace Guards from BBTS yesterday and they're a ton of fun, especially when paired with some of the already released vehicles like the Jet Sled and Wind Raider. This line is way more fun than it should be!
That's exactly what I planned on doing with my Palace Guards, put 'em on Sky Sleds. Vehicle pilots! I actually have all those extra Prince Adams that came with the sleds as well. Thinking about how I can turn him into some kind of generic army builder also.
Still waiting on my Palace Guards from BBTS, but it has only been 2 weeks since they shipped and generally it takes about a month to get to me (Ottawa, Canada) so patience......... :(

I want to do the exact same thing, get a bunch of Sky Sleds to build a little army, but stupid retailers up here seem adamant that they won't drop the price on the Sky Sled to a clearance price. Generally $40 is the retail price, and I have seen it drop a few times to around $30. I think once it went to close to $20 but I haven't seen that personally. It is driving me bonkers. The Sky Sled, along with Battle Cat are the biggest shelf warmers up here. Yet Battle Cat in the past couple of months has been dropping almost everywhere. I have seen it as low as $15. So what's the hold up with the Sky Sled? C'mon guys. :D

I think the extra Prince Adams might do well as generic villager types. Some custom paint apps could make for different looks, and of course the beauty of the Origins line is the mix and match body parts. Get a couple cheap figs and swap parts for new characters.
User avatar
Falling Downer
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: The Burbs of Portland, OR
Posts: 2136
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:33 am

Re: Masters Of The Universe Origins

Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:54 am

Two of my nearby Targets have the Battlefield Warriors set again...back at the original 49.99 price.
Damn it.

I am so addicted to this line I feel like every pause between waves or releases takes forever. I only got Stridor a little while ago, and I already want something new. If Wave 8 is indeed pushed back to June, that's going to be a loooong wait. Not to mention the fact that it may result in fewer waves being released this year.

I'm on the fence about Flying Fists He-Man and Terror Claws Skeletor. I watched a review where it looked as if the whole torsos were cast in the chrome plastic, and the guy's Skeletor had blue paint chipping off around the neck.
User avatar
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 4889
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: Masters Of The Universe Origins

Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:03 pm

I finally found Jitsu & the Sorceress. Have Stinkor & Webstor been found at Brick and Mortar yet?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

NORM
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Garden State
Posts: 41163
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:25 pm

Re: Masters Of The Universe Origins

Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:38 pm

Nebraska wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:03 pm
I finally found Jitsu & the Sorceress. Have Stinkor & Webstor been found at Brick and Mortar yet?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Just last week I saw a restock of the Stinkor/Webstor wave mixed in with the Jitsu/Sorceress wave. It was glorious. The Stinkor wave has definitely been in and out all month at Targets by me.
Tenement Funster
Super Poseable
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:46 pm

Re: Masters Of The Universe Origins

Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:56 pm

Scott Neitlich the Toy Guru believes this line is being canceled. Anyone have any pertinent info?
My Target has actually had... figures other than He-Man/ Skeletor lately. so the fact they would cancel it now that they seem to have gotten their act together would be disappointing.
User avatar
Piffy
The Fruity Guy
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Femme ain't afraid of nothin'.
Posts: 20588
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:19 pm

Re: Masters Of The Universe Origins

Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:57 pm

Tenement Funster wrote:Scott Neitlich the Toy Guru believes this line is being canceled. Anyone have any pertinent info?
My Target has actually had... figures other than He-Man/ Skeletor lately. so the fact they would cancel it now that they seem to have gotten their act together would be disappointing.
I wouldn't believe that lying liar if he told me his shit smelled like shit.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Tenement Funster
Super Poseable
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:46 pm

Re: Masters Of The Universe Origins

Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:29 pm

Piffy wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:57 pm
Tenement Funster wrote:Scott Neitlich the Toy Guru believes this line is being canceled. Anyone have any pertinent info?
My Target has actually had... figures other than He-Man/ Skeletor lately. so the fact they would cancel it now that they seem to have gotten their act together would be disappointing.
I wouldn't believe that lying liar if he told me his shit smelled like shit.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
I've never followed the drama that encapsulated him and that other guy , but I do feel he's quick to jump the gun on the cancellation of Origins often. A sort of, "The Sky is Falling", if you will.

If it's true what I've heard and he simply wants to prove "He-man won't work at retail", then it's far too late for that as the line has been around nearly 3 years now and that is despite the complete ineptitude of distribution and general SC issues everyone is facing. In the video I watched today it was suggested that Origins is over at retail but still had a shot at direct distribution. Hinted, not spoken. But this does lend credence to the "prove He-man won't work at retail at all costs" accusations being lobbied around.

Of course, it could all be wishful thinking on my part as I really really want Mek-a-Nek and Snake Mountain.
Tenement Funster
Super Poseable
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:46 pm

Re: Masters Of The Universe Origins

Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:36 pm

Also, if any line was a candidate for cancellation, it would have to be Transformers as that line is so lopsided I finally gave up; nothing is more infuriating than buying a few from this series and ot finding the rest but then finding the same characters from the next series and, even when you DO find other characters the lines diverge so much that they don't mesh well. Or even the GI Joe 6". Talk about a line where the same characters languish. I fell lady Jae and I are dating now that we've seen so much of one another.
User avatar
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 16294
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:17 am

Re: Masters Of The Universe Origins

Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:26 pm

Tenement Funster wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:29 pm
Piffy wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:57 pm
Tenement Funster wrote:Scott Neitlich the Toy Guru believes this line is being canceled. Anyone have any pertinent info?
My Target has actually had... figures other than He-Man/ Skeletor lately. so the fact they would cancel it now that they seem to have gotten their act together would be disappointing.
I wouldn't believe that lying liar if he told me his shit smelled like shit.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
I've never followed the drama that encapsulated him and that other guy , but I do feel he's quick to jump the gun on the cancellation of Origins often. A sort of, "The Sky is Falling", if you will.

If it's true what I've heard and he simply wants to prove "He-man won't work at retail", then it's far too late for that as the line has been around nearly 3 years now and that is despite the complete ineptitude of distribution and general SC issues everyone is facing. In the video I watched today it was suggested that Origins is over at retail but still had a shot at direct distribution. Hinted, not spoken. But this does lend credence to the "prove He-man won't work at retail at all costs" accusations being lobbied around.

Of course, it could all be wishful thinking on my part as I really really want Mek-a-Nek and Snake Mountain.

At this stage, I really think there's something that needs to be said because it's going to be important sooner or later: ALL toy lines end. You've got a few craaaaaazy outliers like Marvel Legends that have been around for some collectors' entire adult lives, to be fair. But that's massively and spectacularly rare. So, here's the important part, if you say a line is cancelled/ending every year, eventually you will be right.
That doesn't mean you know anything. It doesn't mean you ever knew anything. It just means you're a piece of shit that is desperate to be relevant and seem like you have insider information that you absolutely do not have. Scott has been saying this line was over since the first wave came out. He's just playing the odds and believing, correctly, that his few remaining fanboys will casually and willfully forget all the previous times he's said 'the line is cancelled' and was wrong, so that when it finally does happen he can pretend to be ToyGuru, The All-Knowing and not loser Scott that can't keep a job at a toy company but still thinks he's a toy genius.

He's a fool. Ignore him. Stop giving him views. Stop regurgitating (and thereby lending legitimacy to) his desperate speculation. Let him fade into obscurity where he belongs so he can finally get back to his true calling of selling vacuums over the phone.
User avatar
mattmurdog
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1392
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:12 am

Re: Masters Of The Universe Origins

Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:21 pm

So much hate and bitterness toward Scott, it's almost as if it's personal with some of you. I've been watching his videos, and no where does he say he knows MOTU is dying. Here's a recap of what he's actually said:
    • MOTU has had a history of NOT being viable at retail. It died out with 200x dying.
    • AS a result, MOTUC was an online exclusive because NO retailers wanted it
    • MOTU is a brand of the 80s, it doesn't really latch on to kids today. It must be reinvented
    • He loves MOTU and wants to see it continue on with a new generation in order for it to sustain a retail presence
    • Adult interest through nostalgia is not viable for retail. We must get kids into it in order for a toy line to survive at retail
    • MOTU Origin is more or less a disappointment with kids given how much we're seeing these toys being clearance
    • MOTUO exists only because of the Netflix show, which has a mixed bag review
    • Some hints of a dying brand is a lot of reuse
    • When toys also hit mass clearance the likelihood of it being "renewed" is rare
    Now, I don't need to be clairvoyant to say that Masterverse and Origins is starting to look a lot like the 200x line. It's not a huge success with kids. It's not Baby Yoda big. The "dozen" of adult collectors like ourselves is not enough to sustain this line.
      • We're NOT the center of the universe
      • While adult collectible sales have gone up. Adult collectibles still represent a small percentage of overall toy sales
      • In order for MOTUO to survive it must latch on to a show
      • Our best bet is that the new kids CG show lives on to give MOTUO shelf space because of how retailers set their planograms
      If you're reading anymore into what he's saying, that's on you. Please stop your negativity and grow up.
      User avatar
      KnightDamien
      Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
      TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
      Posts: 16294
      Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:17 am

      Re: Masters Of The Universe Origins

      Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:25 am

      mattmurdog wrote: So much hate and bitterness toward Scott, it's almost as if it's personal with some of you
      It is. I take it very personally when I see people -constantly lying- to advance themselves and seem important. I have no problem admitting that it absolutely infuriates me. You can be all like 'I'm cool as a cucumber and nothing ever bothers me' if that's your bag. I don't pretend that I have no human emotions and reactions to things. Scott is horrible and it -bothers- me that he is this constant worm eating through the brain of the collecting community.
      mattmurdog wrote:Here's a recap of what he's actually said:
      Let's do it...

      mattmurdog wrote: MOTU has had a history of NOT being viable at retail. It died out with 200x dying.
      Bullshit. That's absolute and complete bullshit with zero merit and easily proved. No history of being viable at retail? MOTU was one of the MOST SUCCESSFUL toy brands of all time in its first incarnation. But let's dig deeper. In a fair conversation about longevity and viability, your litmus test for success can't be the most successful toys of all time like ARAH Joe, Kenner Star Wars, Hot Wheel,s vintage Ninja Turtles, or Marvel Legends. Those, like vintage MOTU, are outliers -- the mega lines that we literally still, to this day, hold up in documentary material as exceptional.

      Most toy lines don't survive even a fraction of the time or have a fraction of the success of those lines. But not every toy brand that didn't make history was 'not viable.' They were just.. normal. Did normal business and made normal money. There's nothing inherently wrong with that.

      So when Scott says MOTU has a 'history' of not being viable at retail with the death of 200x... what exactly does that mean? There's only been, prior to now, three major retail lines for MOTU and the two before 200x WERE successful. So Scott did what -- made himself a 2/3 exception so he can lie himself into a point? And by most metrics, the 200x line WAS successful. It lasts over 2 years and failed due to distribution problems coming out of Mattel, NOT because the line was not 'viable' at retail. By all accounts it was viable and Mattel screwed the pooch. Even Mattel execs/former execs have admitted this. INCLUDING Scott back when he was relevant.

      Is Scott suggesting that MOTU has a 'history' of not being viable at retail after 200x because it wasn't... at retail... since 200x? Because that's an absolute idiotic claim.

      In short... this point is 100% a distortion, a lie, and nonsense to boot.

      mattmurdog wrote: AS a result, MOTUC was an online exclusive because NO retailers wanted it
      No one else wanted MOTU in their stores. Except the retailers that happily accepted all of the MattyCollector cast-offs that collectors bought up right away, and the DC/MOTU two-packs that Walmart was happy to have. And later the Megabrands MOTU merchandise that most major retailers carry. And later the Origins figures. And the Masterverse figures. The only times - going all the way back to the beginning, that we KNOW of Mattel trying to get MOTU into retail, they did it. Every time. For practically every kind of product. Right up until today. We have -only- Scott's word that there was ever a time when retailers -didn't want- MOTU.
      And, I'll add, it's again in direct opposition to what Scott himself said during MOTUC's run, where Scott repeatedly answered the question of MOTUC at retail by saying that he wasn't sure if it would ever happen because Mattel -had not tried- to get it into retail and he wasn't sure if they would try until there was new media to push it to make those big retail numbers Mattel wanted.
      At no point in the course of MOTUC did Scott ever suggest that any retailer had -passed- on the line or any other MOTU line.

      So.. he's lying. Again. Or he lied back then. In either case, his credibility is zilch.

      mattmurdog wrote: MOTU is a brand of the 80s, it doesn't really latch on to kids today. It must be reinvented
      I won't say he's -wrong- about that. I will say he's lying if he claims this is objectively true unless he's willing to post up the report of a huge focus test for this. ANYTHING else is anecdotal, and I won't go into how many times I've seen the Origins figures in the hands of kids for that very reason. So really, the 'must be reinvented' thing (which is what they did with the new CGI cartoon and probably the movie) is just him spouting off an opinion. Which is fine. It's just not fact.

      mattmurdog wrote: He loves MOTU and wants to see it continue on with a new generation in order for it to sustain a retail presence
      He can say that all he wants. Guys say they love their wives after they finish beating them, too. His -claim- of loving a franchise is completely immaterial to whether or not he has a history of lying, self-aggrandizing, and generally being a twat. It's immaterial to him using his time in Mattel to pretend he has deeper insight than he actually has. And it's immaterial to whether he is even respectful of the property or just likes it for what he wants it to be (cough- Mighty [email protected]#$ Spector, the most un-MOTU action figure ever to be in a MOTU line - cough).

      mattmurdog wrote: Adult interest through nostalgia is not viable for retail. We must get kids into it in order for a toy line to survive at retail
      We MUST? I want to see his data for that, not just take his word on it. So again, he's just claiming his opinions are truths. Adult nostalgia is selling LUDICROUS merch across all kinds of platforms/expressions/outlets right now. If Scott is correct that kids don't care about '80s MOTU, that means the obvious success of Origins (at least 8 waves, multiple exclusive items, Castle Grayskull, two cats, four vehicles, etc) is -entirely- due to adult interest through nostalgia. So which is it? Are kids buying the line and therefore do care about '80s MOTU, or is it able to expand so impressively in so short a time solely because adult interest makes something viable at retail?

      What about all the other adult-driven lines? Basically every major line going right now is heavily driven by adult interest. Kids definitely buy action figures. But they're not buying entire waves of 24 dollar obscure comic book characters or background Star Wars characters from a single scene in a movie that came out 30 years ago.

      Scott, as usual, is full of shit and trying to talk out of both sides of his mouth at once. And it's super obvious how full of shit he is when you stop and think about anything he's saying.

      mattmurdog wrote: MOTU Origin is more or less a disappointment with kids given how much we're seeing these toys being clearance
      Also bullshit. There is literally no foundation for this statement. When new waves regularly hit, they're gone quickly. Try to find figures from certain waves in most places. Just try.
      Every single sane person has commented on the issue with these figures being distribution. An entire city gets 80000 Battle Cats, and 3 He-Mans. Or 400 cases of Ram Mans/Clamp Champs and no BA He-Mans or Mosquitors or whatever. This is not a 'kids aren't interested' problem and anyone claiming it is must be either the stupidest [email protected]#$ person on earth, or incredibly dishonest. Scott has a narrative he wants to push, and he's going to push it no matter what lies and misinformation he needs to use to do it.
      Don't worry, once he convinces everyone he knows how to make toy lines successful, some toy company you've barely heard of will hire him again and we won't have to hear from him anymore, since that's all that this is about.

      mattmurdog wrote: MOTUO exists only because of the Netflix show, which has a mixed bag review
      MOTUO came out before the Netflix show and has been completely independent of it. The 'mixed reviews' about the cartoon are, also, completely irrelevant to MOTUO. He's grasping at teeny tiny straws that are very far away.

      mattmurdog wrote:Some hints of a dying brand is a lot of reuse
      MOTUC was 'dying' for like 8 years, then. DCUC was dying for its entire run. Marvel Legends has been dying for almost 15 years.
      Thank all the toy gods that the mighty ToyGuru is here to explain the warning signs of a dying line to us.
      [email protected]#$ ridiculous.

      mattmurdog wrote: When toys also hit mass clearance the likelihood of it being "renewed" is rare
      There's no indication of 'mass clearance' with this line. Specific products within the line are getting clearanced, or put on rolling sales, to move product because of the aforementioned distribution problems that have too much of certain stock showing up in certain areas. Is this -potentially- a problem when re-ups come around? Potentially.
      Is it -definitely- going to cause an issue? Only Mattel knows since they likely already know what their full 2022 release schedule looks like. Scott, to be clear, would have no [email protected]#$ idea at all and is just yapping.



      So there you go. A full response to why Scott is a lying, ignorant [email protected]#$ desperate for everyone to think he 'knows' things. You can still believe everything he says and completely abandon your faculties of reasoning, if you want. But that, my dear boy, is on -you-. Stop getting all upset that most of us see through his bullshit and are willing to call it what it is.

      Return to “Castle Grayskull: The Unofficial MOTU Toy Board”





      Recent Topics