Masters Of The Universe Origins

I HAVE THE POWER! - Masters of the Universe Classics, MOTU200X, the vintage toys, PoP and yes, even NA - talk about them in here!
ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Masters Of The Universe Origins

Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:52 pm

I've said this before, but Scott is DESPERATE for MOTUO to be a failure, because he insisted for years a MOTU retail line was an impossibility.

The fact that MOTUO has been around a lot less time and is already way more successful than his baby, drives him insane.

Big Lots gets two types of items. Discounted overstock and new general stock.

When MOTUC hit Big Lots, it was DISCOUNTED OVERSTOCK, which is why items that sold for $30-$50 on Matty were sold at Big Lots for $10.

MOTUO thats at Big Lots is NEW GENERAL STOCK, which is why the Palace Guards cost $20 which is $2-$3 more than they do online.

You can pretty much always tell this by the pricing. I'm guessing when Mattel was offering this exclusive to online retailers, they offered to Big Lots as well.

But it's not like this is overstock, like when Matty dumped a bunch of stuff that they had hid from consumers claiming it was "sold out" but really was just sitting in a warehouse.
Batben
Faster than a speeding bullet

Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:33 pm

Yeah, my guess when I saw the Eternian Guard thing was that discount stores like Big Lots probably don't have as much access to toys this year due to the supply chain issues, so they're desperate to get something for Christmas and Mattel offered them some of the exclusives they already have on hand, but didn't give them the same deal they probably get on overstock during normal circumstances. I'm think that might be why we're seeing Amazon exclusives and online specialty shop exclusives at Big Lots at normal retail price.

Scott Neitlich automatically went with the explanation that it's because stores like Entertainment Earth and BigBadToyStore can't handle the amount needed for minimum order quantities, so they had to turn to Big Lots to clear their stock. Then, he went on to use his points to continue to bring up his debate with Retroblasting and why he thinks he's right about everything. Neitlich always rubbed me the wrong way back during the MOTUC days and he continues to prove that he's an insufferable egomaniac. Sadly, he's gaining quite a following who just accept what he says without question.
Cremian

Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:20 pm

For those in Canada I happened upon a Wind Raider at Canadian Tire on the way home from work. There were loads of battle armour He- Man, Skeletor, and Buzzsaw Hordak as well.
canprime
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:14 pm

Cremian wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:20 pm
For those in Canada I happened upon a Wind Raider at Canadian Tire on the way home from work. There were loads of battle armour He- Man, Skeletor, and Buzzsaw Hordak as well.
Whereabouts are you located in Canada?

I am in Ottawa and I saw that the deluxes were showing up at Canadian Tire. Unfortunately when I checked out the 2 stores currently with stock near me, it was all Ram Man and Clamp Champ. I have Skeletor and He-Man, but I really want a Hordak.
Cremian

Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:23 am

I stopped in Kingston. I was pleasantly surprised that there were no Ram Mans or Clamp Champs.
Falling Downer
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:39 am

It's so crazy sharing stories between Canada and the US. I have never once seen a Ram Man or Clamp Champ in a store (though they were easy enough to get online), and you guys were drowning in them.

Just nuts.

I've noticed that individual Origins figures are drying up in my area. Walmart clearanced out the original releases of He-Man and Skeletor and they're pretty much gone, and there aren't even many at Targets any more. They still have product on the shelves, but it's Battle Cat and Panthor, the Landshark and the Wind Raider, and the exclusive He-Man/Battle Cat set and the Keldor/Kronis set. Seems like the individual figure peg space has been usurped by the Masterverse stuff in some stores.
canprime
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:40 am

Falling Downer wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:39 am
It's so crazy sharing stories between Canada and the US. I have never once seen a Ram Man or Clamp Champ in a store (though they were easy enough to get online), and you guys were drowning in them.

Just nuts.

I've noticed that individual Origins figures are drying up in my area. Walmart clearanced out the original releases of He-Man and Skeletor and they're pretty much gone, and there aren't even many at Targets any more. They still have product on the shelves, but it's Battle Cat and Panthor, the Landshark and the Wind Raider, and the exclusive He-Man/Battle Cat set and the Keldor/Kronis set. Seems like the individual figure peg space has been usurped by the Masterverse stuff in some stores.
Yes it is strange.

To compare with your account,

Up here you were beyond lucky to find any wave 1 or 2, (I can't even tell you how frustrating it was to see pegs of He-Man and Skeletor while we had nothing up here) and even then I think the reports were mostly from independent retailers. Same with wave 4. This of course led to Battle Cat and Panthor shelf warming hard since you didn't have anyone to ride them. The Sky Sled is another massive shelf warmer, which until just this week was never clearanced, and even then it was an Amazon Prime members only deal. I can walk into any Walmart within 100Km and find at least a couple Battle Cats and lots of Sky Sleds. The He-Man/Battle Cat pack is pretty hard to find right now up here, but I'm hoping like the Keldor/Kronis set it is just temporary.

The hopeful note for us Canadians is that more retailers seem to be getting stock for the holidays, and Walmart.ca recently updated their site listing pretty much every wave up to wave 6 (along with all the WWE MOTU waves). They are currently out of stock, but hopefully it means Walmart is expecting a large restock soon.
Meauxses
CROM!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:25 pm

Falling Downer wrote:It's so crazy sharing stories between Canada and the US. I have never once seen a Ram Man or Clamp Champ in a store (though they were easy enough to get online), and you guys were drowning in them.

Just nuts.

This is what will kill Origins. Mattel said at their pre-recorded Power Con “panel” that their main focus going forward is Masterverse. Typical Mattel: give fans something they love and them oversaturate the market and kill it all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lasastard
Customized

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:09 pm

It really depends on how well Masterverse will sell. I am not entirely sure what their thought process behind Origins was. They have a highly articulated line with Masterverse, and a new kids line - and then Origins, which is not backed up by a new show or anything.

My gut feeling nevertheless is that Origins will be the (financially) most successful of the three, which would be saying something... The kids line is fun enough, but I think kids these days aren't as much into action figures as they were 30 years ago. And Masterverse... the response to Revelations was mixed, to say the least. Personally, I pretty much hated it - and I don't like the figures either. The proportions are off (even compared to the cartoon, which is a bit puzzling) and the cuts for the articulation are rather poorly placed and very, very noticable. So for me they kind of fail asthetically, twice.

Yet Origins seems to have slowed down in the past months and availabilty too is very patchy, even through pre-orders. I am still waiting on my BA He-Man, for example... It would be a shame if they decided to let it slowly fade away, there are so many more "core" characters missing.
zodach
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:40 pm

I wouldn't read too much into the current state of retail as a litmus test for the health of the line. How many stores can you walk into and actually find a good assortment of Marvel Legends or Star Wars Black Series right now? Eternals seem to be at all of my Targets, most of the MCU figures went to clearance within days of hitting shelves, and any other assortments are non-existent. Walmart is doing a good job of not stocking anything around here. These lines are selling just fine online and most are selling out consistently but the supply chain at retail is really screwed up.
GrumpyMatt
Avengers Assemble

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:28 pm

Walmart's gearing up for Christmas in my parts, the action figure aisle is looking a lot better than it has in a long time.

We can only go by what we see around us and I can personally report that origins figures sell out quick when in stock. It's just hard to say how much stock is actually coming. The vehicles and Battle Cat are hanging around - particularly the Landshark.

I think once Revelations series 2 hits, they'll move better. My closest Walmart has a bunch of figures sitting on the bottom shelf and I don't think they've been touched in a couple weeks. I think everyone's tired of Evil Lynn and Moss Man at this point.

I've seen them in stores but haven't paid any attention to the kids line.
Joda
Avengers Assemble

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:33 pm

Trap Jaw back in-stock at BBTS. And for $24.99. I know the past 2 years haven't been kind to businesses across the board, but BBTS' 'flexible pricing' is really starting to rub me the wrong way... :(
mrboshek
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:06 pm

The Big Lots in town is setting up a holiday section away from the toy aisles. So far they have some Studio Series Transformers (also currently shipping to Target/Walmart, Mr. Guru) and the 3.75 Retro MLs. Maybe they'll have the Guards on the floor soon.
bezem
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:49 pm

Meauxses wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:25 pm

Mattel said at their pre-recorded Power Con “panel” that their main focus going forward is Masterverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No such comment was made, at least during the the panel for Origins, Masterverse, and the CG line. I was at Power-Con and watched the panel; they stated all lines will co-exist so long as the product is moving.
canprime
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:09 pm

Received my Faker/Dupli-Cat from Mattel Creations yesterday. Now just waiting for them to ship the Grayskull accessory pack.

Loving this use of the He=Man and Battle Cat molds. It is nice to get a Faker variant, but man Dupli-Cat is awesome. The colours between the two of them really compliment each other.

Great Job on these exclusives if the rest are like this.

Return to “Castle Grayskull: The Unofficial MOTU Toy Board”

Recent Topics