Masters Of The Universe Origins

I HAVE THE POWER! - Masters of the Universe Classics, MOTU200X, the vintage toys, PoP and yes, even NA - talk about them in here!
ANewHopelessReviewer
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Masters Of The Universe Origins

Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:58 am

maverick10126 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:43 pm
Side note, am I the only one that wishes Thundercats were being released Origins style?
If by Origins-style you mean on the MOTU origins bodies, then no. But if you mean adding more articulation to a style of figure that resembles the original ThunderCats figures, oh hell yes.
NORM
My Thread USED to be Bigger Than Yours

Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:02 am

I never had any of the original Thundercats toys, my memories are of the show. I don’t think I’d be as interested in updated articulation on vintage TCats sculpts, nor TCats integrated into Origins style.
dchimpy
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:12 am

I'd love Thundercats on Origins style bodies. The original LJN Thundercats figures seemed all over the place in terms of character scale. I'd like the 'Cats all in a uniform scale and style with Origins articulation and (more importantly) Origins durability. I have the Super 7 Ulitimates Thundercats on pre-order, but those seem more like collectible display pieces. I'd be more interested $15 toys than can be played with without fear of breaking a $50 toy.
ANewHopelessReviewer wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:58 am
maverick10126 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:43 pm
Side note, am I the only one that wishes Thundercats were being released Origins style?
If by Origins-style you mean on the MOTU origins bodies, then no. But if you mean adding more articulation to a style of figure that resembles the original ThunderCats figures, oh hell yes.
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:14 am

Having both Origins and Masterverse in hand, I'd concur, Origins all the way. I like both but if I had to pick one or the other, there's just a magic to Origins that Masterverse doesn't quite have. I'm frustrated by a handful of figures I haven't been able to find, but I was able to score two whole waves I thought I missed by keeping an eye on BBTS. I still grumble almost daily about not being able to find the Zodac/Roboto/Shera wave, but everyone else has popped up at MSRP somewhere for me and I've only been collecting oh, three months or so?

Unrelated, I am trying to resist getting that Wind Raider, REALLY trying to keep myself from going overboard...
Falling Downer
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:51 am

Thanks for the advice, guys!

I just bought Castle Grayskull on Amazon :lol:
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:04 am

I mean Thundercats on Origins bodies where it makes sense. I had the Funko wave 1 Thundercats and they were cool...but brittle. These Origins bodies are so durable and fun to play with. It just seems like an obvious match to me. I mean how different is it to put Thundercats on MOTUC bodies?

I highly recommend the Wind Raider. It's a hefty toy for the price.

I have the vintage Grayskull....but I just ordered the new one as well. I'm a sucker apparently.
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:50 pm

Falling Downer wrote:

I just bought Castle Grayskull on Amazon :lol:
I buy a lot of toys, and nothing has ever hit me the way opening up that new Castle Grayskull did. It's amazing. Worth every penny. It's like a time machine.
mikeysee
Super Poseable

Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:30 pm

Faker is available for $15 right now on Amazon if anyone has been looking for him (check other sellers). Still no luck with Stinkor, Webstor, or Mosquitor but at least that's one more recent figure I can cross off my list!

Also, that sucks about all the upcharges for collecting in Canada. Sorry to all the canucks here. I'm guessing it's the same deal when receiving packages from an individual and not a business? Like if a friend stockpiled Origins figures and shipped them up there it would still be prohibitively expensive?
NORM

Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:58 pm

Guess I was too late on that Amazon Faker. Lowest price I see under other sellers is 24.
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:48 pm

Picked up Ram-Man on a whim the other day - wasn't a favorite character as a kid, but he was one of those figures that just never broke so I have a soft spot for him, I guess. And this one really does exemplify how this line totally respects the original designs and just does little things to improve them. Articulated knees!he's still not particularly graceful, but the knees are a nice upgrade, as is the alternate head and left fist/open hand option. Really hasn't been a dud in the bunch.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:34 am

docsilence wrote: Picked up Ram-Man on a whim the other day - wasn't a favorite character as a kid, but he was one of those figures that just never broke so I have a soft spot for him, I guess. And this one really does exemplify how this line totally respects the original designs and just does little things to improve them. Articulated knees!he's still not particularly graceful, but the knees are a nice upgrade, as is the alternate head and left fist/open hand option. Really hasn't been a dud in the bunch.
The billion Ram Mans out here are on rollback at Walmart. It's only 5 bucks cheaper, but I've been very tempted. The weird thing is, I never liked Ram Man. I didn't own the vintage toy because I didn't like the design of the figure even back then. I never liked him in either of the cartoons. And while I was fairly impressed by the MOTUC version, I can't say I ever really -LIKED- it.

Yet... yet... every time I see the MOTUO version I'm like 'that really is an excellent update to the original' and I almost end up buying it. I've resisted so far, but I don't know how many more times I can walk past and not just say 'why not.' Point being, this entire line has been a big win where updating vintage toys is concerned. They've just done an exceptional job at it and it really makes me look twice at characters/figures that I don't even really like - in a way that MOTUC wasn't even always able to do.
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:39 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:34 am
docsilence wrote: Picked up Ram-Man on a whim the other day - wasn't a favorite character as a kid, but he was one of those figures that just never broke so I have a soft spot for him, I guess. And this one really does exemplify how this line totally respects the original designs and just does little things to improve them. Articulated knees!he's still not particularly graceful, but the knees are a nice upgrade, as is the alternate head and left fist/open hand option. Really hasn't been a dud in the bunch.
The billion Ram Mans out here are on rollback at Walmart. It's only 5 bucks cheaper, but I've been very tempted. The weird thing is, I never liked Ram Man. I didn't own the vintage toy because I didn't like the design of the figure even back then. I never liked him in either of the cartoons. And while I was fairly impressed by the MOTUC version, I can't say I ever really -LIKED- it.

Yet... yet... every time I see the MOTUO version I'm like 'that really is an excellent update to the original' and I almost end up buying it. I've resisted so far, but I don't know how many more times I can walk past and not just say 'why not.' Point being, this entire line has been a big win where updating vintage toys is concerned. They've just done an exceptional job at it and it really makes me look twice at characters/figures that I don't even really like - in a way that MOTUC wasn't even always able to do.
You're so spot on. I started out saying I'd only pick up characters I have a nostalgic/emotional attachment to (part of why I'm so frustrated I can't find Zodac, he was a weird favorite as a kid, probably one of my first figures after He-Man himself), but the line is so well done I just keep spontaneously picking up ones I don't necessarily need, or feeling no guilt if I order a wave that has figures I wouldn't buy in a store. I never had Scare-Glow, Ninjor, and Clamp Champ but I have the first two and will pick up the latter if I see him on sale. I would have skipped Webstor but I mean why not get the whole wave, right?

Speaking of, I just checked and Clamp Champ is under 20 on Amazon. Guess he's getting added to the cart...
NORM

Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:20 pm

I had Ram Man as a kid and he was one of my favorites due to the action feature. Those novelties did exactly what they needed to do, and I was the target audience. I have Classics Ram Man, and he's one of my most prized figures from the line. Getting Origins Ram Man was a no-brainer. And while I do appreciate the updates, I kinda wish his hips had some kind of mobility. I'm sure they're rigid due to the action feature. As an adult, I don't need that feature, but I'm not the only target audience anymore. I'm glad it has the spring-legs feature, but it limits what I can do with him as a collector who just poses the figures.
Ibentmyman-thing
Shakespeare of Fwoosh

Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:33 pm

Ram Man's static hips make him the weakest figure in the line for me. Ram Man is one of my favorite characters but the hips in the original and now replicated in this one are just frustratingly limited.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:36 pm

Falling Downer wrote:
Well, I was too late on the advice but I would have gone the opposite direction of everyone else in this thread. For me the head sculpts on the Origins figures are too soft and goofy looking on virtually every figure (Keldor and Tri-Klops are the only two I can really stand to look at much). They feel cheaper (because they are intended to be cheaper). Origins also don't really scale with any other modern figures - which is important to me, but may not be important to others.

Having all of the Masterverse figures from Wave 1 in hand, and a number of the Origins figures as well, I vastly prefer Masterverse - despite my issues with the head size- to the Origins in every way. Masterverse Battle Cat compared to Origins Battle Cat is simply no contest.

But, then again, I didn't own any of the vintage MOTU figures back in the 80's so the size and shape of those doesn't tug at me the way it likely tugs at most people here.

I do appreciate the vehicles, I have the Land Shark fudged into my MOTU Classics display and will do the same if they release an Origins Spydor or Mantisaur or whatever.

Right now my Origins purchases are basically limited to things I can't get in other MOTU lines - mini comics Tri-Klops, Sun Man, etc.

But I do hope it is wildly successful for those who love it and so they can keep issuing stuff I will buy (Battle Bones? Dragon Walker? Bashasaurus? yes please).

Return to “Castle Grayskull: The Unofficial MOTU Toy Board”

Recent Topics