Masters Of The Universe Origins

I HAVE THE POWER! - Masters of the Universe Classics, MOTU200X, the vintage toys, PoP and yes, even NA - talk about them in here!
docsilence
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Masters Of The Universe Origins

Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:27 pm

Calbretto wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:15 pm
My son is turning 4 tomorrow and he'll be getting a bunch of MotU origins toys. He's really into the retro cartoon, so he will be thrilled. Between me and his aunts and uncles he will be getting:
Castle Grayskull
Land Shark
Sky Sled w/ Adam
Battle Cat
Ram Man
Merman
Fisto

Not a bad way to start off his collection. He's been obsessed with my 2002 Castle Grayskull I have so it will be fun to have his own toys (especially since the 2002 castle is missing most of the parts). I'm also giving him some Playmobil Ghostbusters sets (firehouse and Ecto-1), so it will be a throwback to the 80s in our house this weekend.

Are there any plans to re-release He-Man, Skeletor and Orko?
Not sure about re-releasing Orko but they did just restock about a month ago - I looked for him forever, overpaid for him, and then BBTS restocked the wave. BBTS actually has the baseline He-Man and Skeletor in stock for a buck over MSRP right now, and Target has them both in stock as well - looks like the original version with the half-swords rather than the updated full sword look but still awesome figures.
Calbretto
Have extra testicles, will travel

Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:12 pm

docsilence wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:27 pm
Calbretto wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:15 pm
My son is turning 4 tomorrow and he'll be getting a bunch of MotU origins toys. He's really into the retro cartoon, so he will be thrilled. Between me and his aunts and uncles he will be getting:
Castle Grayskull
Land Shark
Sky Sled w/ Adam
Battle Cat
Ram Man
Merman
Fisto

Not a bad way to start off his collection. He's been obsessed with my 2002 Castle Grayskull I have so it will be fun to have his own toys (especially since the 2002 castle is missing most of the parts). I'm also giving him some Playmobil Ghostbusters sets (firehouse and Ecto-1), so it will be a throwback to the 80s in our house this weekend.

Are there any plans to re-release He-Man, Skeletor and Orko?
Not sure about re-releasing Orko but they did just restock about a month ago - I looked for him forever, overpaid for him, and then BBTS restocked the wave. BBTS actually has the baseline He-Man and Skeletor in stock for a buck over MSRP right now, and Target has them both in stock as well - looks like the original version with the half-swords rather than the updated full sword look but still awesome figures.

Thanks! I will check them out. I've been checking all the Canadian sites and it's pretty much only Ram Man, Clamp Champ, Battle Cat and Panther everywhere. In store I saw a few other characters (Merman, Zodiac, Fisto, Evilyn) at Walmart and Toys R Us. I see some on Canadian toy collector sites, but the prices are quite a bit more than regular retail (almost double in some cases).
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:50 am

Calbretto wrote: Thanks! I will check them out. I've been checking all the Canadian sites and it's pretty much only Ram Man, Clamp Champ, Battle Cat and Panther everywhere. In store I saw a few other characters (Merman, Zodiac, Fisto, Evilyn) at Walmart and Toys R Us. I see some on Canadian toy collector sites, but the prices are quite a bit more than regular retail (almost double in some cases).
It's probably going to be a tough road for Canadians trying to get regular He-Man and Skeletor. The initial wave 1 figures barely appeared in Canada at all. I -hoped- Mattel would be able to address this with the new re-issues that just came out, by getting them a bit more heavily parsed to Canadian stores, but so far I've only heard of them appearing in the US and at EB Games' website, where they are currently sold out.

Keep an eye out, though. You never know when they might just start popping up here. They are still -relatively- new and you know how long it takes things to get to Canada sometimes.

Calbretto wrote: My son is turning 4 tomorrow and he'll be getting a bunch of MotU origins toys. He's really into the retro cartoon, so he will be thrilled. Between me and his aunts and uncles he will be getting:
Castle Grayskull
Land Shark
Sky Sled w/ Adam
Battle Cat
Ram Man
Merman
Fisto
I love this post.
ANewHopelessReviewer
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:42 am

Oh man getting something like a Castle Grayskull at 4? That's the feeling I'm still chasing in this hobby as an adult.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:02 am

Mini comics Tri Klops arrived today, unexpectedly... I didn't even know it had shipped.

I love the colors. I always wanted this look in classics. So far this is my favorite Origins head sculpt as well.
KnightDamien

Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:54 pm

PantherCult wrote: I love the colors. I always wanted this look in classics. So far this is my favorite Origins head sculpt as well.
Is it different from the retail Klops? If so, I didn't even notice that because I was so focused on the colors, armor, boots, and sword.
ANewHopelessReviewer wrote: Oh man getting something like a Castle Grayskull at 4? That's the feeling I'm still chasing in this hobby as an adult.
Yeah, man. I mean, I think getting the Classics Grayskull was pretty close to that feeling, for me. Or when I got the first ever MOTUC figure -- the SDCC King Grayskull. That was a pretty awesome feeling. But then, it's hard for us because we know it's coming. We paid for it, and we're measuring everything we get against the expectations set by online pictures we studied and the dip it caused in our bank accounts.

So I feel like the closest I actually get in my adult life to 'that feeling' is when I get toys for my 7-year-old son. When I brought home Origins CG right before dinner time and he was practically vibrating in his seat waiting to be able to open it, and then spent the next hour on the floor with it exploring every feature? There it is. There's that feeling.
SalemCrow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:36 pm

Saw 2 of the flocked Panthor at work the other day. It's cool as a nostalgia throwback to the vintage figure, but the price doesn't make me want it.
ODBJBG
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:42 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:54 pm
ANewHopelessReviewer wrote: Oh man getting something like a Castle Grayskull at 4? That's the feeling I'm still chasing in this hobby as an adult.
Yeah, man. I mean, I think getting the Classics Grayskull was pretty close to that feeling, for me. Or when I got the first ever MOTUC figure -- the SDCC King Grayskull. That was a pretty awesome feeling.
When I got my KG, I was super stoked. I opened him up and 2 seconds later his foot broke off at the ankle. It was actually a pretty good indication of what the next few years of MattyCollector was going to be like. Different feeling.
KnightDamien

Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:37 pm

ODBJBG wrote: When I got my KG, I was super stoked. I opened him up and 2 seconds later his foot broke off at the ankle. It was actually a pretty good indication of what the next few years of MattyCollector was going to be like. Different feeling.
That sucks.

It's weird because I played with and posed KG A LOT. Like.. a lot. And never stopped messing with him the entire time I owned him. I never had any problems with him at all until a little while after Mattel had already handed the line over to S7 and one day I went to grab KG off the shelf to dust and his foot just.. stayed on the shelf. Ankle was completely disintegrated.

Sucked so bad, but I had an extra Vikor set of boots so I just swapped boots and carried on owning that figure for a bit longer. The shitty thing was when I finally decided to sell him and the lack of original boots killed his resale value. That being said, I was fairly lucky with Mattel's spotty QC. I know a lot of people did have plenty of problems, but I really didn't. Part of that might also be because I didn't own some of the figures that got the worst of it like Roboto and Green Goddess.
mikeysee
Customized

Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:58 pm

This might be a really dumb question, but is there no way for you Canucks to order off of US Amazon? The re-design Skeletor and He-Man are readily available on there for below retail, not to mention a bunch of other figures I've seen mentioned in this thread. I know I've seen some Americans using a third-party service to order NECA international product before, where the item is first shipped to a warehouse in Canada and then shipped to the 48. This of course costs more though so maybe it's just not worth it to secure some $15 figures?

Or heck, how much would it cost to have someone just stockpile like 5-10 figures for you and just ship them in bulk through USPS?
canprime
Customized

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:34 pm

mikeysee wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:58 pm
This might be a really dumb question, but is there no way for you Canucks to order off of US Amazon? The re-design Skeletor and He-Man are readily available on there for below retail, not to mention a bunch of other figures I've seen mentioned in this thread. I know I've seen some Americans using a third-party service to order NECA international product before, where the item is first shipped to a warehouse in Canada and then shipped to the 48. This of course costs more though so maybe it's just not worth it to secure some $15 figures?

Or heck, how much would it cost to have someone just stockpile like 5-10 figures for you and just ship them in bulk through USPS?
Yeah we can order off Amazon.com for a lot of stuff.

The problem is price, exchange, and shipping. For some items it works out really well, especially exclusives from Hasbro. Usually you can get them from .com for only slightly more than on .ca. However that is also because .ca has become a disaster for exclusives. So many have been cancelled, or not delivered, it has become a guessing game if you will actually get a preorder from .ca. Especially for Transformers exclusives.

In regards to MOTU:O it becomes a numbers game even more than other lines. He-Man and Skeletor are pretty much non-existent up here at retail. Although TRU recently got in some more. Anything before the She-Ra/Roboto wave was impossible to find outside of independent retailers. Because of that we are swamped in Battle Cats. So much so that even at $19 clearance he can still be found at lots of stores. BA He-Man and Skeletor were a bit easier to get. Ram Man and Clamp Champ are being clearanced at $19 but are still clogging shelves everywhere. Panthor, Sky Sled and Landshark are also starting to clog the shelves. The only thing to hit after the She-Ra wave was the Faker wave. Since then it has been very limited sightings of anything else. I personally have never seen Teela, Orko, Man-E-Faces, Beast Man, Evil Lyn (1st version), Man-at-Arms, Trap Jaw, Tri-Klops, Stratos, Hordak or Ninjor at regular retail. I did luck out and find Man-at-Arms, Trap Jaw, Tri-Klops, Scare Glow and Ninjor at a local independent retailer recently.

So I took a quick look and saw Man-E-Faces for retail on .com. So that is $15, plus another $9.92 for shipping, plus taxes, plus exchange. So for me to get one to Canada it would cost around $27US which is $34.59Cdn. Now granted it would be beneficial to order more than one figure, but in the end it really isn't. Unless it is an exclusive that may not be available, or they go on sale.

To get another idea. I was able to snag a Faker/Duplicat and 2 Grayskull accessory packs when Mattel Creations put them up. With shipping, not counting whatever duties I may get hit with when it ships, it came to $133US and that was converted to $173.03Cdn.

So my long winded point is that it really has to be a big price difference to make it worthwhile, and currently the retail price for MOTU:O is almost exactly the same in Canada and the US. Unlike the vast difference in price for most of Hasbro's lines.
KnightDamien

Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:23 am

mikeysee wrote: This might be a really dumb question, but is there no way for you Canucks to order off of US Amazon
I'll echo what canprime said because they pretty much nailed it. It really is just prohibitively expensive to get these figures from the US. Large amounts at once or single figures actually doesn't make a lot of difference. The more figures you get at once, the more likely you'll get nailed with import fees. So you save a little on shipping, but maybe lose that on fees. Smaller packages are more likely to slip through customs without import fees, but you're paying a lot in shipping for one or maybe two items.
And as was said, even in the -best- case scenario, you're paying a significant mark-up just because of shipping and exchange rate that, for most of us (if I can speak for more than just myself here) is really just not worth it. I like these figures. But there's VERY few I'd ever consider paying more than retail price for, let alone close to double or more than double their retail price - which is the reality of getting them from the states.

My Tri-Klops (vintage toy style) from BBTS didn't cost me anything in extra shipping because I added him to my POL. But even just with import fees on the box he was in and exchange rate, he was around 24 dollars Canadian. That's already more than 50% mark-up over if I'd found him locally.

I'm legitimately scared to see what the Masterverse exclusive Scareglow is going to cost me.
Falling Downer
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:34 pm

I have a MOTU conundrum.

My kids basically just "re-gifted" me the Origins figures I gave them, and man, I forgot how fun these figures are. It's a pretty decent collection, we've got figures like Trap Jaw, Orko and Tri-Klops...but there are several we've missed now like Zodac, Fisto, and Faker.

I WAS going to collect some of the Masterverse figures for myself, but the fact that Origins has vehicles, beasts and most importantly, Castle Grayskull, makes this line more appealing to me. Grayskull is essential to me for a MOTU collection, and it's a huge temptation.

But Dear God, Origins is a bitch to collect. When this was announced, I never dreamed that it would be hard to find characters like Stratos and Zodac. And with the price you have to pay to pre-order them at e-tailers like BBTS or Entertianment Earth (assuming you can catch them or want the entire wave), it's just a few dollars difference from Masterverse. And, pre-orders are available for any character I want right now for Masterverse, so there's that.

Can't afford to get both. What to do, what to do....
canprime
Customized

Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:30 pm

Falling Downer wrote:
I have a MOTU conundrum.

My kids basically just "re-gifted" me the Origins figures I gave them, and man, I forgot how fun these figures are. It's a pretty decent collection, we've got figures like Trap Jaw, Orko and Tri-Klops...but there are several we've missed now like Zodac, Fisto, and Faker.

I WAS going to collect some of the Masterverse figures for myself, but the fact that Origins has vehicles, beasts and most importantly, Castle Grayskull, makes this line more appealing to me. Grayskull is essential to me for a MOTU collection, and it's a huge temptation.

But Dear God, Origins is a bitch to collect. When this was announced, I never dreamed that it would be hard to find characters like Stratos and Zodac. And with the price you have to pay to pre-order them at e-tailers like BBTS or Entertianment Earth (assuming you can catch them or want the entire wave), it's just a few dollars difference from Masterverse. And, pre-orders are available for any character I want right now for Masterverse, so there's that.

Origins all the way. For all the reasons you mentioned, plus the price allows for you to get more bang for your buck as things get released. I also love that Mattel has been slowly adding to Castle Grayskull through different releases. Wind Raider has a base to attach to Grayskull, Heroic Warriors He-Man/Battle Cat come with a stand and some little "dragons" that can attach to Grayskull, the Power Con Accessory set (some of which I'm sure will show up at retail somehow). On top of that, the "mix and match" of limbs/parts for most figures is just even more incentive.

I like the look of most of the Mastervese so far, but I will try and stick to only getting figures I really want from that line, or on deep discount. ALthough Faker, King Grayskull, and the deluxe Tri-Klops/Trap Jaw will sorely test that belief.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:43 pm

Falling Downer wrote:
I have a MOTU conundrum.

Stick with Origins. You said it yourself, vehicles, beasts and Grayskull. Further you just know there has to be a Snake Mountain coming in the line eventually.

Yes the price on these has hiked when you look at the pre-orders. I'm not a fan of that either....but these also have that classic appeal.

I do think this line will get easier to collect in time (I'm still waiting) but I have seen online retailers get stuff back in stock every now and then so it's not a lost cause yet.

Fisto and Faker are wave 5, they are essentially the wave that's supposed to be out right now. I just saw Fisto in Target last week. He went fast but that was a good sign.

Even if these waves are long gone, there's too much money being left on the table for them not to sort things out and re-release older figures.

Heck, Scareglow used to be a hard to get figure and now he's in stock again.

Side note, am I the only one that wishes Thundercats were being released Origins style?

Return to “Castle Grayskull: The Unofficial MOTU Toy Board”