Masters Of The Universe Origins

I HAVE THE POWER! - Masters of the Universe Classics, MOTU200X, the vintage toys, PoP and yes, even NA - talk about them in here!
KarlSpace
Super Poseable
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Masters Of The Universe Origins

Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:19 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:58 pm
No vehicles, though? Not even the Sky Sled? Dude... you gotta get the Sky Sled. It's tops. I wish they'd go on clearance here like they did in the States so I can get three more at 10 bucks each like some guys here have managed to do.
Man, don't tell me that, it's the only one i'm on the fence about! As a bachelor without kids, getting vehicles just to display has never really appealed to me, because they're really there for playing. But then, a Sky Sled is just like a speeder bike for black series, or a horse for Mythic Legions. And if I happened to just swoosh it around a little bit, well...

What makes me want to wait for clearance is that I really have no interest in that Prince Adam figure, as he'll go straight into storage, which I try to keep to a minimum these days.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:34 am

KarlSpace wrote: Man, don't tell me that, it's the only one i'm on the fence about! As a bachelor without kids, getting vehicles just to display has never really appealed to me, because they're really there for playing. But then, a Sky Sled is just like a speeder bike for black series, or a horse for Mythic Legions. And if I happened to just swoosh it around a little bit, well...
It's such a small vehicle. Barely even counts. Not having a Sky Sled for your MOTU collection is like not having a bike for Ghost Rider. It has it's own nice little flight stand and everything, so it's really well-designed for display. And it pops off the flight stand really easily for, you know.. .swooshing. And it has parts so you can easily swap it between good guy and bad guy versions. In my long years of toy collecting, it may legitimately be one of my favorite vehicle toys ever.

The only negative to it, really, is the big handles. I'm not sure why they decided the grips should be larger than weapon handles.

For really reals, though, I actually do think the Sky Sled looks really good on display. The flight stand has it at a good height so a figure on it is just slightly above where He-Man is positioned when sitting on Battle Cat. It's got the blast effect to look like it's shooting, which gives it some more dynamic options. Yeah. I mean, don't get me wrong - no pressure if you don't want one. But it's a super cool piece to have and I'd recommend it if you're even willing to have just -one- vehicle.

KarlSpace wrote: What makes me want to wait for clearance is that I really have no interest in that Prince Adam figure, as he'll go straight into storage, which I try to keep to a minimum these days.
Yeaaaaaah. Living in Canada (right?) makes that worse because you'll never get rid of an extra Prince Adam. Even if you sell him for five bucks you'll probably be sitting on him for months or years because the market is so much smaller up here. I can barely give away figures half the time that I know would easily sell in the States.

That's why I'd like to pick up extras on clearance. If I can get another Sky Sled for 10 bucks, or even 20, I really wouldn't even be bothered with tossing the extra Adam right in the garbage, because the vehicle is worth it. But at the current 40 dollars, maybe it's not as great a deal if you don't intend to keep Adam.
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Masters Of The Universe Origins

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:49 am

Found the Origins Wind Raider yesterday. Some crazy things are on the packaging. Hopefully they’re upcoming product.

What the hell is this?

Evil Wind Raiders. With bat wings. And a ram head for the winch. This would be a super cool item and get re-use out of the Wind Raider mold.

And who is this guy? He gets two pics.

Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:54 am

Also saw the Battle Armor He-Man and Battle Cat set. But $50 is a load. I like the vacu-metal. And the terrain pieces. But $50 is a load for a slight variant and baseplates. If I didn’t already have Battle Cat.
KnightDamien

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:58 am

Ash Talon wrote: Found the Origins Wind Raider yesterday. Some crazy things are on the packaging. Hopefully they’re upcoming product.
Thanks for sharing the artwork! Great stuff.

That vehicle looks kind of Bashasaurus-like. Maybe it's based on an earlier design? It's cool, though.
The Evil Wind Raider is awesome and I DEFINITELY want one.

The cosmic enforcer-looking guy is pretty cool, also. I'm assuming that's what he's supposed to be, at least. MOTUC included the original and 200x versions of Zodak as different cosmic enforcers. Maybe they're planning on continuing to add more cosmic enforcers? I dig it, no matter what it is. The gladiator-style helmet is a cool touch.

Ash Talon wrote: Also saw the Battle Armor He-Man and Battle Cat set. But $50 is a load. I like the vacu-metal. And the terrain pieces. But $50 is a load for a slight variant and baseplates. If I didn’t already have Battle Cat.
Ouch.
That's definitely a hard sell. I'm still kind've hoping it makes its way to Canada somehow (doubtful) because my son wants it so bad. But I don't know how I'll justify that price tag either.
GrumpyMatt
Avengers Assemble

Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:09 am

Ash Talon wrote:
What the hell is this?

That will hopefully be terrorizing my cats in the near future.

The evil Wind Raiders look good too.

The vehicles are going to be what kill me with this line. I liked most of the old school vehicles more than the figures back in the day. I'm already down for a Wind Raider and I won't be able to resist a Battle Ram or Talon Fighter (hopefully with Point Dread) if/when they come. And I loved seeing the Dragon Walker in Revelation. But I just don't have room for all of this ...
Ash Talon
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:26 am

Also saw the Land Shark at the same Target which had the Wind Raider and vacu-metal He-Man set. The entire shelf-deep supply of the vacu-metal He-Man set was gone.
Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:18 am

Yea, looking for the exclusive He-Man and Battle Cat and it’s gone the minute it hits the shelves it seems like. I’m sure a majority of people are buying it to flip right now because it’s a new exclusive.

Hoping for a heavy restock like the Rise of Evil set. I see that set everywhere now and it was also heavily flipped when it came out.
TheFallen
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:50 am

So it has been announced that one of our retail chains here in Oz is going to be stocking these, as well as Revelations figures, at the end of next month. Nothing has been said about which wave they are starting with but I am thinking about jumping on board.

Which figures are the standouts so far?
NORM
My Thread USED to be Bigger Than Yours

Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:43 pm

Ash Talon wrote:
What the hell is this?

It's the Covid Catapult.
NORM
My Thread USED to be Bigger Than Yours

Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:44 pm

Seeing tons of Land Sharks right now between two Targets, but no Battle Damage set yet.
KnightDamien

Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:56 pm

TheFallen wrote:Which figures are the standouts so far?
I almost hate to answer that because there's just no way of even knowing -what- your local stores will be stocking. You may, like Canada, get like six hundred forty seven thousand sixteen cases of wave 3.

I'd also say.. all of them are the standouts? because it depends on who your favorite characters are. Like, I don't care about Faker. If you do - he's a great figure. Really nice colors, and the first single-carded figure to come with the updated, no-handle-guard, full version of the Power Sword (which looks great).

As I banged on about above - I think the Sky Sled is one of the stand-out items in my collection. It's an awesome piece and I think every Origins collector should have at least one.

Roboto is a lot of fun if you want to goof around with that original play feature of the spinning gears. He's got the swappable weapons and all that. If you can find a cheap Kane from the Masters of the WWE Universe line, you can even get a clip-on blast effect for Roboto's gun hand, which increases his awesomeness at least seven fold. SEVEN. FOLD!

If you're a huge fan of vintage Mer-Man then that figure is perfect. If you like something a bit more detailed like the MOTUC figure, the (single-carded, non-exclusive version of) Lords of Power version of Mer-Man is lovely.

Trap-Jaw is about as good a figure as they've made. His mechanical arm has better articulation than anything else in the line. The swappable parts work great. His jaw articulates. For the aesthetic of this line, I don't think he could have been done any better.

But really, I could go on and on. If you like the vintage toys, I genuinely feel like almost every figure they've done is a home run, so what I'll do is give you the exceptions to that, in my opinion:

Battle Armor He-Man. I really do like the figure, and BA He-Man is one of my favorite variants of all time in any line. BUT, they really could have done better here. His chest doesn't seem deep enough - like from the side he's thinner than a regular figure and it looks weird. And the chest emblem is smaller to accommodate the arm pegs, which makes his whole torso seem like it lacks detail and texture. The extra vintage head is cool, but Mattel will be releasing that again with a normal He-Man in the near future so it's probably not worth it for that. He also comes with a power effect that's so huge and heavy you'll probably never be able to use it for anything. And the battle damage feature doesn't work quite as smoothly as it did on the vintage toy, either. All-in-all, probably the weakest update of all the figures I can think of.
If you're a huge fan, I'd still get him. But if you're not, he's a pretty easy pass.

The 'Icons of Evil' two-pack with Kronis and Keldor. Apparently there's like a one-off version of the full power sword in this set with a strangely thin handle that Keldor can't even hold. So that's a pretty big miss.

So yeah, I guess the real best answer is a combination of 'who are they going to have at your local stores?' and 'who was your favorite vintage toy?'
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:06 pm

I think this may end up being my toy line of the year when all is said and done. That's even with me using SOOOOOOO much restraint and only owning five figures (so far). They are just a lot of fun and under $20!
KnightDamien

Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:19 pm

yojoebro82 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:06 pm
I think this may end up being my toy line of the year when all is said and done. That's even with me using SOOOOOOO much restraint and only owning five figures (so far). They are just a lot of fun and under $20!
Agreed. Granted, it seems this line has struggled the least this year with Covid because there's so much product that just got slammed out there, while companies like Boss Fight or even Mezco seem to struggle to get -anything- to market right now. But still... the amount of fun, vibrant, relatively well-made and well-designed stuff they managed to put out for this line in such a short time is really impressive.

Speaking of under 20 bucks, though... did anyone notice BBTS's new price point for the upcoming Stinkor wave is 17.99 instead of 15.99? That makes me really nervous. This line hasn't been out long enough to undergo a 2 dollar (12%!) price hike.

So, my son is gearing up for his THIRD watch of Revelation. This time he's forcing his mother to watch with us. He's so excited right now that my wife brought him out to try to find some Masterverse toys out in the world. Alas, there was nothing. Didn't want him to come home empty handed, so she let him grab an Origins Panthor.
Probably the first time I've really been disappointed in the quality of an Origins release. Two of Panthor's legs are so loose at the hip that you can almost blow on them and spin them around like a pinwheel. He can just manage to hold a standing pose on the shelf, but the slightest touch on his back will spill him over.
TheFallen
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:33 am

Thanks for the in depth reply KD.

Not knowing what wave they will be starting with locally is a bit of a pain because Wave 2 seems to be the one I want the most due to the character selection. Trap Jaw is my favorite character but sold out on BBTS. I have seen the Icons of Evil pics but isn't that a store exclusive?

I think I might just have to pay the late comers tax if retail here starts with later waves. I am confident that the original He-Man and Skeletor will be released here, regardless what wave they start with.

Return to “Castle Grayskull: The Unofficial MOTU Toy Board”