General MOTU News Discussion v2

I HAVE THE POWER! - Masters of the Universe Classics, MOTU200X, the vintage toys, PoP and yes, even NA - talk about them in here!
NORM
My Thread USED to be Bigger Than Yours
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: General MOTU News Discussion v2

Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:14 pm

I was late to the game and only wound up with Arrow, who is still handsome, but just not as eye catching as Swift Wind. One collector place I know of posted photos on social media that they got SW in. I messaged to see how much, and it was way out of my range. I’ll have to live with the hole in my collection.
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:23 pm

What amazes me is how Mattel just sits on all those MOTU Classics molds for things like Swiftwind and other when they could easily be repainted and repurposed for other lines on the cheap.

Swiftwind would make for a great Pegasus in a new Clash of the Titans wave.

A Myths and Legends line would make money easy.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:28 pm

Visionary wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:23 pm
What amazes me is how Mattel just sits on all those MOTU Classics molds for things like Swiftwind and other when they could easily be repainted and repurposed for other lines on the cheap.

Swiftwind would make for a great Pegasus in a new Clash of the Titans wave.

A Myths and Legends line would make money easy.
It doesn't even look like they're re-using Classics Battle Cat for the new Battle Cat. Considering they're almost the same size that's also kind of weird. Who knows what's going on there. Like.. .they outright lied to us about new molds in MOTUC so they could re-use stuff way more than they should, but then -won't- re-use molds when they absolutely could.

Sometimes I could swear that Mattel just makes all of their decisions with a dartboard and a bottle of cheap vodka.
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:47 pm

I just pray we see new characters pop up in both Origins and Revelations that we haven’t seen as figures yet.

There is so much background fodder in the painted art on the Origins packaging alone that would be great for Army building and stuff.

I don’t need 30 versions of Man At Arms or Stratos but some of those Skeleton warriors I’ll buy 20 of.
Boy Wonder
Attempting to Avoid the Void

Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:35 pm

NORM wrote:
I was late to the game and only wound up with Arrow, who is still handsome, but just not as eye catching as Swift Wind. One collector place I know of posted photos on social media that they got SW in. I messaged to see how much, and it was way out of my range. I’ll have to live with the hole in my collection.
This past year has definitely had an impact on my buying. A large handful of “COVID purchases” where it’s felt like “welp, the world’s ending, might as well buy stuff!”

I’ve had Arrow in his box for years. He was something that I got in the sub that I had no interest in, but after getting Swiftwind I decided to go ahead an pop him open. I do with he was blue, but he’s still nice. Hung up some hooks to hang them from and took a group pic with the other mounts. Really enjoy all these guys. I wish we’d gotten Clawdeen instead of Battlelion (who I also have in his box).

darkmoon766
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:47 pm

Boy Wonder wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:35 pm
NORM wrote:
This past year has definitely had an impact on my buying. A large handful of “COVID purchases” where it’s felt like “welp, the world’s ending, might as well buy stuff!”

I’ve had Arrow in his box for years. He was something that I got in the sub that I had no interest in, but after getting Swiftwind I decided to go ahead an pop him open. I do with he was blue, but he’s still nice. Hung up some hooks to hang them from and took a group pic with the other mounts. Really enjoy all these guys. I wish we’d gotten Clawdeen instead of Battlelion (who I also have in his box).

That's a nice display. Do you have Stridor's normal helmet instead of the Nightstalker version?
os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:55 pm

Seems like the William Stout He-Man and Skeletors have really skyrocketed in price on ebay. SO glad I got those when they came out.

Too bad I had to buy a Karg to get them. I still don't want the hideous thing...mine is still completely sealed in the brown mailer. I guess I'll throw it up on the bay one of these days, but it's not getting He-Man/Skeletor money for obvious reasons. Main one being, nobody likes or "needs" Karg.
Cloak-n-Dagger
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:45 pm

os189 wrote:Seems like the William Stout He-Man and Skeletors have really skyrocketed in price on ebay. SO glad I got those when they came out.

Too bad I had to buy a Karg to get them. I still don't want the hideous thing...mine is still completely sealed in the brown mailer. I guess I'll throw it up on the bay one of these days, but it's not getting He-Man/Skeletor money for obvious reasons. Main one being, nobody likes or "needs" Karg.
I recall him being on a lot of wish lists back in the day when Mattel was making MOTUC and didn't have movie rights.
KnightDamien

Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:24 am

Cloak-n-Dagger wrote: I recall him being on a lot of wish lists back in the day when Mattel was making MOTUC and didn't have movie rights.
But wasn't -everyone- on a lot of wishlists? I mean, MOTU doesn't necessarily have the roster depth of something like Marvel, where five hundred people could make a list of 50 characters they want and have each list be completely different. Once MOTUC was in it's like.. sixth year, a LOT of wishlists started to get pretty samey because there were just only so many 'major' characters left that could be viewed as holes in the collection.

To this day, I still don't believe people wanted a lot of those characters as badly as they pretended to. It's just.. when you get that deep into the roster, do you just throw your hands up and stop collecting or start throwing out whatever named characters are even left?
Cloak-n-Dagger
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:00 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Cloak-n-Dagger wrote: I recall him being on a lot of wish lists back in the day when Mattel was making MOTUC and didn't have movie rights.
But wasn't -everyone- on a lot of wishlists? I mean, MOTU doesn't necessarily have the roster depth of something like Marvel, where five hundred people could make a list of 50 characters they want and have each list be completely different. Once MOTUC was in it's like.. sixth year, a LOT of wishlists started to get pretty samey because there were just only so many 'major' characters left that could be viewed as holes in the collection.

To this day, I still don't believe people wanted a lot of those characters as badly as they pretended to. It's just.. when you get that deep into the roster, do you just throw your hands up and stop collecting or start throwing out whatever named characters are even left?
You are probably right. I don't really care for Karg but kind of wanted him just because I had Blade and Saurod.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:57 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:24 am

To this day, I still don't believe people wanted a lot of those characters as badly as they pretended to. It's just..
That may be true for most people, but for me I could do a top 50 list for MOTUC characters I still very much want. The movie figs actually wouldn't have been on it - though I adore my God Skeletor - but there are definitely fans like me out there. I met a bunch of them at PowerCon two years ago. Maybe not enough of us to keep the line going unfortunately.
KnightDamien

Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:30 am

PantherCult wrote: That may be true for most people, but for me I could do a top 50 list for MOTUC characters I still very much want. The movie figs actually wouldn't have been on it - though I adore my God Skeletor - but there are definitely fans like me out there. I met a bunch of them at PowerCon two years ago. Maybe not enough of us to keep the line going unfortunately.
It's funny.. originally my reply was a lot longer, but I get so much shit for being long-winded that I'm genuinely trying to be more concise. I'm really trying!

The part I wrote that didn't make the cut was that I'm absolutely sure there are genuine hardcores in there that not only will buy everything, but genuinely WANT everything. It's just that once you get 6 years deep in a line like MOTU -- that doesn't have more than a couple dozen MAJOR characters -- lots more people are going to start naming off anyone they know of for their wishlists even if they wouldn't really truly care if the line ended without those characters. So you get this inflated sense of how important Masks of Power Demons or Karg really are, because even people that don't -really- care about them are naming them off as must-haves.
Collectors are weird. They'll go deep into the lore to pick out which characters they'll buy, but those will also be some of the first toys on eBay once the line officially ends and they have to stop 'the collecting' and really start looking at what they've collected.

And that's not just MOTU fans. I've done it TWICE with Marvel Legends and three times with Star Wars. You just got into the itch of collecting and building a big universe and you want everything. Even the stuff you never genuinely cared about and won't care about anymore once the 'line I'm currently really into' feeling fades away. But that's also never going to be -every- collector by any stretch.

Does that make sense?

Also, I think Karg hit people with some collector remorse before he even came out because that body was even worse for him than it was for Skeletor - and even Skeletor honestly looked kind of terrible with the giant biceps. Karg infinitely moreso. People wanted Karg until Super7 gave them a Karg on the actual MOTUC body and they were like 'ooooh.. that's not really what I was hoping for here.'

Cloak-n-Dagger wrote: You are probably right. I don't really care for Karg but kind of wanted him just because I had Blade and Saurod.
Yeah. I mean.. I bought Saurod just because of Blade and Gwildor. It's that collecting bug of 'why not? it's for the collection.' But really, I didn't need or care about Saurod and if they'd never made him I would never have really cared. And he was one of the first figures I sold when I started trimming down my collection.
Xaero Gravity
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:18 am

With the news of Super 7 being announced for Power Con, I see a lot of people expecting a revival of MOTU Ultimates, but with Masterverse being a thing I just can't imagine it. Would be absolutely fantastic though.
KnightDamien

Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:30 pm

Xaero Gravity wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:18 am
With the news of Super 7 being announced for Power Con, I see a lot of people expecting a revival of MOTU Ultimates, but with Masterverse being a thing I just can't imagine it. Would be absolutely fantastic though.
Val originally sold the idea of PowerCon as being about the big swords-and-action '80s properties: MOTU, TMNT, and ThunderCats were all supposed to be under the same umbrella. Since Super7 has licenses still for two of those properties, I'm not sure why people jump to the conclusion that Super7 going to PowerCon equates to 'more MOTU from Super7.' Maybe they're going there to show off ThunderCats and TMNT stuff.
Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:03 pm

While it probably is just Thundercats and their other properties, if there was ever a time to get the license back for Ultimates, now is perfect.

MOTU has hit a popularity again it hasn’t had in years and Super 7 is hitting nearly every other big 80s property right now.

I know it wouldn’t be ideal for some collectors who have them, but even just getting the license back to re-release He-Man and Skeletor Ultimates would excite me. I could potentially see Mattel doing that, as $55 online only figures wouldn’t really compete with $20 mass retail ones. It’s an approach Hasbro is taking as well.

There are people who won’t buy Origins and Masterverse, why not try to get them by doing Ultimates again. It would be wild to have 5 different He-Man lines all at once across different avenues.

Return to “Castle Grayskull: The Unofficial MOTU Toy Board”