Masters Of The Universe Origins

I HAVE THE POWER! - Masters of the Universe Classics, MOTU200X, the vintage toys, PoP and yes, even NA - talk about them in here!
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Masters Of The Universe Origins

Sat May 14, 2022 6:45 pm

zodach wrote: These are most likely the next two waves coming this year before that Snakemen wave. There's also Grizzlor, Snout Spout, and Leech that were revealed, though I assume the latter two are deluxe.
canprime wrote: Well we are almost half way through the year already, and technically wave 7 & 8 are only supposed to be hitting now. Then of course there is supposed to be some time for those waves to hit full market saturation. That, to me, means we have the summer to basically sit on those waves, and whatever deluxes come out. After the summer there will be the holiday push, and that means at least wave 9, which has been revealed. Plus we still have summer convention season, and any other unexpected surprises that may come along, including Mattel Creations. Possibly wave 10 could also appear at the end of this year, but who knows.

There ya' go. Definitely seems like there's still a fair bit coming this year. It -is- already mid-May. I think maybe sometimes people either forget how much is coming (because there's so much to keep track of these days) or maybe just expect too many yearly releases. Like 'why aren't we getting three waves per week like Marvel Legends! Make me broke, Mattel! Hurt me so good!'

canprime wrote: I definitely skew more towards the "give me the official stuff first" and then go into the secondary areas.
As someone that likes all the other stuff too, I'd only counter that by saying history is not in favor of this method. I think, and I believe the evidence shows, that interest in a line tapers off more when the 'official stuff' is done, even if there's lots of gas left in the tank for the lesser known stuff. And, importantly, the people that lose engagement after the official stuff is mostly done also -would have- bought the other stuff if it had come out when they still felt connected and interested.

There's a reason Mattel dumped Classics on Super7 when they did. There just wasn't enough engagement anymore because too much of the important stuff was out there and interest was diminishing. Yeah, there's still stuff to do, but is that stuff going to garner the kind of excitement and sales numbers that a company like Mattel wants? I certainly don't want Origins figures through Super7. [email protected]#$' 60 dollars a piece and they'd probably lose the ability to be taken apart or something. And it would all be Mattel's fault.. somehow..

The flip side of that is... well.. I really hate the idea of NOT getting some important characters because the line ends prematurely. Then you end up looking back and saying 'if only they hadn't bothered with Origins Mo-Larr, maybe we'd have Mekaneck. Right? It's a shitty balancing act that I don't think there's any good answer for. But in an ideal situation we're probably going in the right direction by mixing it all up. The only problem is going to be, as I said, if the line does end without the official stuff all being done. Which, if I'm being honest, I expect it probably will.
And by that I include some of the crazier vehicles and creatures and stuff. I really don't think we'll get EVERYTHING that existed in the vintage line. But it's possible.

Also.. I want my Megator and Tytus in Origins. We KNOW they're thinking about it, because of Andre. Come on, Mattel. I'd also love to see how Origins would handle Granamyr.

canprime wrote: Oh and can you re-release some of the early wave characters that were impossible to find in Canada (Orko, Man-E-Faces, etc)?
Yup. I still don't have Orko. But didn't they say that the early waves were getting re-issued on MattelCreations this year?

canprime wrote: KnightDamien- I am with you on Stridor. I really want to get one to go with my Castle Grayskull, but the price keeps me away. The lowest I have seen so far is about $38 on Amazon.ca one time, but still couldn't pull the trigger. Also have you seen some Walmarts up here are starting to clearance out Castle Grayskull? It seems to be store specific, and not chain wide, but there were reports from 2 Ontario Walmarts that had them on sale for $30 and $39. Here's hoping more stores get on the band wagon so I can grab another for customizing.

Oh, and clearance those Sky Sleds already Walmart ($26 is better, but not quite good enough to army build). :D
With how much I've cut down on my toy buying, I really don't think I will get another Sky Sled. But if I'm being honest, I probably wouldn't turn one down for 15. Anything more than that and I can probably convince myself to walk away.

I -hate- waiting for things to go on clearance (not like it happens a lot in Canada anyway), because I think it sends the message that people aren't interested in this product and that's how lines end. At the same time.. Stridor being double the cost at Walmart or Amazon than the much more detailed and equally large Battle Cat was from a DTC line 15 years ago still hurts. Beyond even the poor distribution, I think the worst thing to happen to this line on the Canadian market is Mattel not sticking to the US prices on the larger items/vehicles/beasts. A huge selling point for me at the beginning was that the figures cost the same in Canada as they did in the US.

I have seen Walmarts marking down Grayskull in the past, but it was more in the 60-something dollar range. And, going back to the above, that's part of why I haven't bought Stridor. It feels like every item in this line over the 25 CAD mark hits a discount of some kind sooner or later.
Valo487
CROM!

Sat May 14, 2022 11:09 pm

According to Toyhabits, Pig Head, Mantenna, and 200X He-Man and Skeletor are officially Wave 9. And they were told Digitino and Mini-Comic Trap-Jaw are “on hold,” but they’re not sure of the reason at this point.
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun May 15, 2022 12:36 am

Thats a pretty solid Wave 9. I'm glad to get Pig Head this quick, because even if I get no other Sun Man toys (but honestly, I'll probably get them all), I at least want Sun man and Pig Head.

So, at this point, Digitino, Bolt Man, and Space Sumo are still to come. I hope they do get released. I wonder how many more Wave beyond Wave 9 we will get this year.
canprime
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sun May 15, 2022 2:00 pm

canprime wrote: KnightDamien- I am with you on Stridor. I really want to get one to go with my Castle Grayskull, but the price keeps me away. The lowest I have seen so far is about $38 on Amazon.ca one time, but still couldn't pull the trigger. Also have you seen some Walmarts up here are starting to clearance out Castle Grayskull? It seems to be store specific, and not chain wide, but there were reports from 2 Ontario Walmarts that had them on sale for $30 and $39. Here's hoping more stores get on the band wagon so I can grab another for customizing.

Oh, and clearance those Sky Sleds already Walmart ($26 is better, but not quite good enough to army build). :D
With how much I've cut down on my toy buying, I really don't think I will get another Sky Sled. But if I'm being honest, I probably wouldn't turn one down for 15. Anything more than that and I can probably convince myself to walk away.

I -hate- waiting for things to go on clearance (not like it happens a lot in Canada anyway), because I think it sends the message that people aren't interested in this product and that's how lines end. At the same time.. Stridor being double the cost at Walmart or Amazon than the much more detailed and equally large Battle Cat was from a DTC line 15 years ago still hurts. Beyond even the poor distribution, I think the worst thing to happen to this line on the Canadian market is Mattel not sticking to the US prices on the larger items/vehicles/beasts. A huge selling point for me at the beginning was that the figures cost the same in Canada as they did in the US.

I have seen Walmarts marking down Grayskull in the past, but it was more in the 60-something dollar range. And, going back to the above, that's part of why I haven't bought Stridor. It feels like every item in this line over the 25 CAD mark hits a discount of some kind sooner or later.
[/quote]

Well I can confirm that Castle Grayskull is down to at least $39CDN at 2 of my local Walmarts (another 2 didn't have any in stock). Also the Wind Raider is now $19 and Masterverse Battle Cat is $29. HOWEVER....Prince Adam and the Sky Sled is still $39.97!!!!

C'mon Walmart, what the hell is the deal?? You will reduce everything but Prince Adam and the Sky Sled????

I mean, now Castle Grayskull is CHEAPER than Prince Adam and the Sky Sled!!! Does that make any sense??

Anyway, enough about that nonsense.

I'm glad to see that wave 9 is confirmed, and I am happy to see a mix of 2 eras in the wave. Not too worried about Digitino and Mini-Comic Trapjaw, they'll show up sooner or later.
SmokeyBonez
Faster than a speeding bullet

Mon May 16, 2022 12:03 am

canprime wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 1:34 pm
KnightDamien- I am with you on Stridor. I really want to get one to go with my Castle Grayskull, but the price keeps me away. The lowest I have seen so far is about $38 on Amazon.ca one time, but still couldn't pull the trigger. Also have you seen some Walmarts up here are starting to clearance out Castle Grayskull? It seems to be store specific, and not chain wide, but there were reports from 2 Ontario Walmarts that had them on sale for $30 and $39. Here's hoping more stores get on the band wagon so I can grab another for customizing.
I picked up a second Castle Grayskull for $39 in a WM Supercenter in Alberta on Friday, there were a few of them, some boxes banged up a bit. Couldnt resist upgrading to a new knees White Sorceress. I swapped the heads between the two, you can tell the plastic they used is more shiny on the newer ones, on the head anyways. I think the first versions head looks the better. I may do some customizing, to the castle itself, if my kids ever get tired of their very own castle.
KarlSpace
Customized

Mon May 16, 2022 9:20 pm

Some Wave 9 reviews:

200X Skeletor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9prFQR00hvI
Was on the fence, but seeing the comparison with S1 Skeletor at the end sold me. Looks really good, and love the amount of detail they captured. That head is growing on me.

Pig-head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6KqG4bwd9g
Somehow they captured the semi-knock-off quality of the original. Which is a positive I think. It's not for me, but it's an interesting figure.

Mantenna: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ceQVMS-z8
Looking great. Fun unique sculpting in lots of places, and good to see a MOTUO body that is on the slimmer side. And that head is just so full of vintage character and cheesiness. Love it.

200x He-man still to come. Probably some time today.
canprime
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue May 17, 2022 1:01 am

KarlSpace wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 9:20 pm
Some Wave 9 reviews:

200X Skeletor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9prFQR00hvI
Was on the fence, but seeing the comparison with S1 Skeletor at the end sold me. Looks really good, and love the amount of detail they captured. That head is growing on me.

Pig-head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6KqG4bwd9g
Somehow they captured the semi-knock-off quality of the original. Which is a positive I think. It's not for me, but it's an interesting figure.

Mantenna: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ceQVMS-z8
Looking great. Fun unique sculpting in lots of places, and good to see a MOTUO body that is on the slimmer side. And that head is just so full of vintage character and cheesiness. Love it.

200x He-man still to come. Probably some time today.
Yeah those are some great reviews. I think the only thing I didn't really like was the more KO look of Pig-Head in the video. Maybe it was the production colours, or just the lighting in the video, but it came across as a bit cheap looking to me.

Not a big deal overall, and I'm sure I like him once I see him in hand. The rest were great. I have some ideas for that He-Man and the cheap Castle Grayskull I just picked up at Walmart.
S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 17, 2022 2:44 pm

I think all of those look fantastic, and I am stoked for Pig Head and Mantenna.
Tenement Funster
Super Poseable

Tue May 17, 2022 10:43 pm

S.W.O.R.D. Agent wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:44 pm
I think all of those look fantastic, and I am stoked for Pig Head and Mantenna.
Oh yeah! I'm in for all; all I need is a pre-order!
Falling Downer
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 18, 2022 6:23 am

I was originally going to pass on the 200x He-Man and Skeletor just to save some money and space, but I think I'm sold on them now after those reviews.

Hope those go up for pre-order soon.

I do wonder what else is going to make it out in 2022 of all of the recent reveals. Hoping to get most of it before the end of the year, but I can't see it. My expectation is that the Randor/Whiplash wave and the Roton will make it out this year, but that's pretty much it.
Valo487
CROM!

Wed May 18, 2022 8:52 pm

Snout-Spout and Leech are confirmed Deluxe figures:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 18, 2022 10:56 pm

A bit bummed Leech doesn't have non-suction feet, but I'll grab him anyway.
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 18, 2022 11:37 pm

Snout Spout! One of my all-time favorites. I can't wait to get him.
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 19, 2022 12:42 am

All I need now is Mekanek, Whiplash, Extendar, & Grizzlor to make my collection feel complete.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu May 19, 2022 11:56 am

Amazon shipped all 5 of my Horde Troopers. If Amazon ships the rest of my preorders in the next week, I will actually be caught up until the next wave hits stateside.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Return to “Castle Grayskull: The Unofficial MOTU Toy Board”