General MOTU News Discussion v2

I HAVE THE POWER! - Masters of the Universe Classics, MOTU200X, the vintage toys, PoP and yes, even NA - talk about them in here!
kingkahn
Customized
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: General MOTU News Discussion v2

Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:50 am

SalemCrow wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:23 pm
For anyone who wants a rough rundown of Scotty's "accomplishments" with MOTU and Mattel, Retroblasting has a video about his influence on the collector toy market. I don't agree with a lot of his recent videos, but this one is pretty spot on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VrLY2k-Yqo
ugh, that retroblasting dude is what is wrong with collecting. Does he like ANYTHING!?!?! I have no love for Scott but man that dude is insane even if he has valid points here and there overall it is just hot nerd garbage.
kingkahn
Customized

Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:56 am

Falling Downer wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:30 am
RE: That Retroblasting video

First, I agree with about 95% of what is said about Scott. I was never an outspoken critic of his in the past, but a lot of things rubbed me the wrong way, especially towards the end of Matty Collector. Seeing it all laid out like this really makes one appreciate how skeezy it all really was. And the fact that Scott keeps churning out all of his crap YouTube "Insider" videos just cements every bad thing I ever thought about him. The arrogance is astounding.

Some things that Michael hammers him for, I didn't think were big deals and still don't. I thought it was appropriate that they named "Wun-Dar" after Wonder Bread. I thought the Mo-Larr thing was funny. All due respect to Joe Amato, but aside from the name "Copy Cat" itself, it's kind of a no-brainer to have a robotic "Battle Cat" for Faker. I think a lot of fans could have come up with that concept, and acting like Mattel stole this completely original idea is a bit of a stretch.

On the other hand, the idea of Michael at Retroblasting making a video mocking someone else's ego is absolutely delicious irony. This is the same guy that makes videos ranting about anyone who questions anything he says, and demeans and mocks the intelligence of anyone that doesn't agree with him. There are actually videos made about HIM similar to the one he just did about Toy Guru.

So in conclusion, Scott Neitlich is a shady dude who made/makes a lot of questionable decisions, whose hubris is absolutely mindblowing. But at the end of the day, this is essentially like Dr. Octopus making a video bitching about the Green Goblin.
As far as Joe goes, he didn't originate anything. Sure, he made customs of battle cat + X character and popularized the idea but in no way did he originate the idea.

fans say mattel stole things... (from a property they own and could sue Joe over) What theft?

He has said he has faker battle cat customs for 10 years

Ok, let's go into that. Looking at old threads on the org.

Here is a thread with someone making a derivative version of a battlecat. 2006, before Joe
https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...!-Needs-a-Name

Here is the first faker version of a battle cat I found. 2006, before Joe
https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...itty-Companion

First use of the name Copy Cat 2007, before joe
https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...1-Copy-Cat-wip

Here is a faker cat thread and Joe even comments on it and says they should name it dopplecat because it is more of a doppleganger and someone else even mentions copy cat again. 2012
https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...ttle-Cat-W-I-P

Joe wasn't the first to create a faker cat but he probably was likely the one that popularized it and does good work.
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:44 am

I don't know if any of you on here collect MOTU Funko merchandise. But I just got all caught up when I got my SDCC Exclusives in today from Toy Tokyo. Roboto and Whiplash Pop! and a Webstor Soda Vinyl.

As soon as I feel caught up and currently complete......Funko announces 4 MOTU items for NYCC lol. Zodac and Snake Face Pop, and Roboto and Snake Face Soda Vinyls.

I will need all of those. I only collect Pop and Soda of characters from the vintage 80's toy line. But, these items meet that criteria.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:28 pm

kingkahn wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:50 am
SalemCrow wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:23 pm
For anyone who wants a rough rundown of Scotty's "accomplishments" with MOTU and Mattel, Retroblasting has a video about his influence on the collector toy market. I don't agree with a lot of his recent videos, but this one is pretty spot on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VrLY2k-Yqo
ugh, that retroblasting dude is what is wrong with collecting. Does he like ANYTHING!?!?! I have no love for Scott but man that dude is insane even if he has valid points here and there overall it is just hot nerd garbage.
My god did I hate everything about that Retroblasting video and am sad I clicked the link. What a sorry, pathetic outlook about everything. All things should have been frozen in time in 1987 apparently.
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:34 pm

This is a vintage He-Man toy question if anyone can help. it's about The Vintage Roboto figure. Were there color variations to this figure? I know many figures had color variations, but I wasn't sure about Roboto.

I have a vintage Roboto and his pants legs are bright red and the crothch piece of the pants is purple. Then he has silver/metal boots and the same for the vents above his knees.

But I got a Roboto today where the pants are more maroon colored, and the boots and vents are more of a purple-ish color, more like the crotch piece of his pants. I see on ebay there are many both ways.

Was this a variation, or when this figures colors fade over time, is that the result? The red turns maroonish and the silver, metal parts turn maroonish and purpleish?
Cloak-n-Dagger
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:15 am

Super Camel wrote:This is a vintage He-Man toy question if anyone can help. it's about The Vintage Roboto figure. Were there color variations to this figure? I know many figures had color variations, but I wasn't sure about Roboto.

I have a vintage Roboto and his pants legs are bright red and the crothch piece of the pants is purple. Then he has silver/metal boots and the same for the vents above his knees.

But I got a Roboto today where the pants are more maroon colored, and the boots and vents are more of a purple-ish color, more like the crotch piece of his pants. I see on ebay there are many both ways.

Was this a variation, or when this figures colors fade over time, is that the result? The red turns maroonish and the silver, metal parts turn maroonish and purpleish?
The silver turns pinkish. I used magic eraser to turn mine silver again. Same deal with Two Bads silver parts.
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:17 am

Cloak-n-Dagger wrote:
Super Camel wrote:This is a vintage He-Man toy question if anyone can help. it's about The Vintage Roboto figure. Were there color variations to this figure? I know many figures had color variations, but I wasn't sure about Roboto.

The silver turns pinkish. I used magic eraser to turn mine silver again. Same deal with Two Bads silver parts.
Ok, thanks.

Also, the magic eraser doesn't damage the figure when you wipe the parts that are supposed to be silver? It actually removes the pinkish stain to reveal the actual silver underneath?
Cloak-n-Dagger
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:37 am

Super Camel wrote:
Cloak-n-Dagger wrote:

Ok, thanks.

Also, the magic eraser doesn't damage the figure when you wipe the parts that are supposed to be silver? It actually removes the pinkish stain to reveal the actual silver underneath?
Yeah it just rubs off the pink layer and exposes the silver.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:39 pm

Well, it ain't actually MOTU but if you aren't using this guy as Mer Man's muscle... I don't know why not:

Return to “Castle Grayskull: The Unofficial MOTU Toy Board”