Bungie's DESTINY

No, this isn't the place to talk about low riding jeans or butt cream. In the Coin Slot, it's all about video games - PC, console, handheld, and online.
Maximoff
no more subnics
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Bungie's DESTINY

Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:35 pm

Bungie, creator of the great Halo series, has been working on their next franchise titled Destiny. Little has been shown except for a small leak of concept art. But they are doing an official reveal of the game in just five days.

I am very excited for this game. Bungie has shown they are more than capable. And they gave up their baby to make this game so I think big things can be expected.

Link to the leaked info - http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/28/ ... art-leaked
Zephyr Roc
They call me MISTER FIG

Re: Bungie's DESTINY

Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:36 pm

I bet the main character will be Plaster Kief.
Maximoff
no more subnics

Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:40 pm

Quickest reply ever. I literally just posted the thread a minute ago.

Yeah I really do wonder if they can establish a main character that will be memorable like Master Chief. Sometimes you just get lucky with a character. But maybe the focus will be more on the gameplay and the world, and not so much on a main character.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:19 am

Bungie is one of those companies - just like one of those directors, bands, etc. that I would follow to the ends of the Earth. I trust this project is going to be mindblowing, and I expect it to be an excellent grand opening title for the new Xbox.
Maximoff
no more subnics

Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:09 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwOUi4JDC4o

Here we go.

I am once again very excited. I cannot wait to see more. After spending so much time with Bungie Halo you really do miss the little things they add. Like even calling these things ViDocs. You can hear them using some of the same themes as Halo but it is a strange new world.

---

Background

Everything changed with the arrival of the Traveler. It sparked a Golden Age when our civilization spanned the solar system, but it didn't last. Something hit us, knocked us down. The survivors built a city beneath the Traveler, and have begun to explore our old worlds, only to find them filled with deadly foes.

You are a Guardian of the last safe city on Earth, able to wield incredible power. Defend the City. Defeat our enemies. Reclaim all that we have lost.

Be brave.

Key Features

The next evolution of entertainment — an incredible story set within a newly-imagined, always-connected universe filled with action and adventure.

Create your character, forge your legend by defeating powerful foes, and earn unique and customizable weapons, gear, and vehicles.

Unprecedented variety of FPS gameplay, including story, cooperative and competitive multiplayer modes combined with public and social activities.

---

And IGN has a fairly in depth article with more information since they interviewed the Bungie People

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/17/ ... ams?page=2
Zephyr Roc
They call me MISTER FIG

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:25 pm

This looks to have incredible potential
BasilKarlo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:50 am

I was never impressed with the Halo story in the slightest, but this looks to be pretty decent in that department.
chaosMonkeyPoo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:19 am

I already posted this on another site but what the hell, might as well post it again here:

All the early stuff for this game is totally falling flat for me. Most of what they have shown so far is a bit of early concept stuff with dudes working on the game telling us how awesome its going to be. How would people respond if the first trailer for the next Star Wars movie was JJ Abrams and the rest of LucasFilm just telling us "Trust us, its going to be awesome!" I liked Halo as much as the next guy, but beyond making FPS controls work on a console (over 10 years ago) they haven't exactly done anything groundbreaking. How excited can anyone actually be about the dudes who made Halo making another multi-player focused sci-fi shooter? Like they didn't want to try and stretch their legs even a teeny bit and try something a bit more out of their comfort zone?

I dunno, the whole thing stinks of a developer that's gotten a bit too pretentious and full of themselves.
Maximoff
no more subnics

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:46 pm

Haha alright...

Well firstly, this video is an announcement of the game. Not an actual trailer. This is technically the first reveal. There was some stuff that got leaked before they were ready to reveal but this is them actually telling us what they are doing and what it is. And I would say the MMO integration is the new and exciting part. I don't care that it is another sci-fi story. Nothing wrong with someone doing what they enjoy. Plenty of other game developers who stick with the same thing. And really, they left their own creation, a sure thing, because they wanted to make something new. That's a pretty major thing to do. I'm glad they are confident with what they are doing, because it's a huge risk. But you have to challenge yourself sometimes just to prove to yourself what you're capable of. And I don't think creating an entire new universe is taking the easy road. Announcing that this is what they are doing for the next 10 years is crazy ambitious.
Caprin
Fwoosh's #1 Rachael Ray fan

Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:42 pm

New to whom? MMO integration is hardly a fresh idea.

I hope it works out but my hopes aren't particularly high. Realistically, Halo was a mediocre action FPS that happened to pop up during the infancy of mainstream acceptance of console gaming. In terms of mechanics and IP it's still trailing far behind PC shooters that were released a decade ago, let alone some of the independent and community generated stuff that's available now. Many newer gamers just don't realize it because they weren't exposed to any of it from the safety of their consoles.

But that's not what's important. What's important is that there's no financial motivation for them to reinvent the wheel so, yeah, they'll probably go the safe route. Which is boring but, eh, them's the breaks.
Maximoff
no more subnics

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:10 pm

The MMO thing is something they haven't done and is something that is hardly represented on consoles. PC versus Console stuff isn't something I care for. They are different platforms and are going to evolve differently. Personally I don't like MMO's. But what they are doing isn't a true MMO so I'm optimistic about it. I wouldn't say Halo was mediocre. It definitely had a simple, non-fleshed out origin but that's how a lot of great things start. It has evolved monumentally from the fun shooter CE was. I know what PC has to offer, but great things are happening on the console as well.
Caprin
Fwoosh's #1 Rachael Ray fan

Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:02 pm

It's not really about platform wars so much as the history of genre and what developers are capable of making, and even how they go about making it. The truth is that there really isn't all that much PCs can get away with that consoles can't--consoles are computers, after all--most developers just aren't willing to deviate from the herd because there isn't much financial motivation for it. I can hardly blame them for making sound business decisions but sound business decisions and quality entertainment are seldom coincident.

I'm not aware of anything like Minecraft for consoles and yet I wouldn't call the port new or exciting. They safely moved a proven product to a new market.
Maximoff
no more subnics

Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:59 am

Maximoff
no more subnics

Fri May 24, 2013 12:01 am

CGI teaser for the E3 showing

Popoman
CROM?

Fri May 24, 2013 2:50 am

The art design looks pretty incredible, I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Return to “The Coin Slot - Video Games”

Recent Topics