Tenbones Gaming Habits Poll - for future use in FWOOSH only

No, this isn't the place to talk about low riding jeans or butt cream. In the Coin Slot, it's all about video games - PC, console, handheld, and online.
Tenbones
Happy-mean toy hater

Tenbones Gaming Habits Poll - for future use in FWOOSH only

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:43 pm

1) What are the gaming platforms do you play on? And why?

2) What type of games do you play: Retro, Casual, Platformer, Strategy, Fighting, RPG, Puzzle, Action, FPS, MMO's? And why?

3) What genre of games do you not play, but are interested in? Which ones do you not play because you think you suck at them?

4) Do you follow game-industry news?

5) Are you a solo-player? Or do you play with others mostly? Why?

6) Would you consider playing on other platforms?

7) How much time do you spend gaming? Would you play more if it were not for other responsibilities?

8) Do you hide your gaming inclinations from non-gamers?

9) Does your significant other game with you? If you don't have a significant other, do you play with any real life friends?

10) Does your gaming habit extend outside of video-games? (i.e. boardgames, tabletop RPG's, LARPing/SCA etc.)

I would appreciate any responses - this has to do with a project I'm working on, so more is merrier and it would be a big contribution to not just me - but all you button-mashing game mongers out there (and hopefully a few die-tossers). It will be stickied for a bit. So let's hear it...
BasilKarlo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Tenbones Gaming Habits Poll - for future use in FWOOSH o

Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:21 am

1- PS3, XBox 360 and PC

2- Retro, casual, fighting, and RPGs. Primarily RPGs and retro(arcade classics) games.

3- I've always wanted to start playing strategy games, but just never got around to it. And I play very few FPS games because I suck at almost all of them.

4- Only on games/companies that have caught my eye.

5- I play almost entirely solo. When a game with a fun multi-player mode comes along I'll play that until I get tired of the single-player.

6- Sure. I used to play the GameBoy Advance and DS a lot.

7- I spend a few hours a week gaming on the average week, but I will make time to play more when a game I'm really excited about comes out.

8- For the most part, yes. I don't always play the games that seem to be accepted in mainstream dudedom. Games like Journey or Flower gets me just as excited as Mass Effect.

9- Sometimes. My wife played Heavy Rain at the same time as me. We played at different times of the day and compared how our choices were shaping the game, all the way up to the end. We also used to play Mario Kart Double Dash ALL THE TIME.

10- I used to play D&D, but that was mostly because my brother was really into it. I'll buy the occasional gaming merch, like t-shirts and hats but I never seem to actually wear them.
Romulus
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:01 am

1. PS3, Wii, DS, and Android Tablet. Covers most of the games I'd ever want to play.

2. Primarily RPG and Fighting on consoles. Been playing them since Bard's Tale and Karateka on the Commodore 64. Casual on Tablet.

3. I'm interested in MMOs, but just don't have the time to invest. I suck at FPS.

4. Try to keep up with console news and upcoming game announcements.

5. Primarily solo

6. Sure

7. Few hours a week with larger spikes depending on availability.

8. Doesn't really come up.

9. I play some games with my kid.

10. Some boardgames with family.
spawnsauce
CROM!

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:07 am

1. Xbox360 mostly and a bit of PC gaming. Never been a PC gamer but had to get a gaming rig to keep up with friends.

2. All kinds. Most of my time goes into single player games(RPGs, Action/adventure) Fighting games as well when friends get together. I will occasionally seek out retro games on XBL arcade or some retro collections but wont break out a retro console. Games I play the least being sports games and MMOs, not a big fan of either.

3. MMOs. Most if not all my friends have been PC gamers for life so MMOs come naturally, I really can't stand the play style and the time you have to invest when I could put the same amount of hours into a solid single player game. Their argument has always been the multiplayer aspect and ability to play with friends, again though, I'm new to PC gaming and I just don't have that kind of time. Sports games I really don't play either. If I get together with people it's a fighting game party not a Madden party.

4.Yes as much as I can on mainstream gaming sites and gaming magazines. I always follow a developer or IP I'm interested in.

5. I've played solo most of my life transitioning into online with the last gen. of consoles (xbox live) and am now able to play with friends more because of my PC.

6.Sure, I just chose certain ones, mainly for the games I knew were going to be exclusives. Xbox for the online functionality for example.

7.20+ hrs a week on average. I would try and get into more single player games and rpgs if I had the time.

8. No. Gaming is a big part of my life, but it's still just a part. I can 'switch off' that part of my brain when relating to people in other aspects of my life(I'm an artist first and foremost so when I'm around those kind of people, I don't think about video games at all, but if I know someone's into games, it can be exclusively about that).

9. Most of my friends are gamers. For good or bad :)

10. Sometimes. I was into Warhammer 40k tabletop for a while and even some Magic The Gathering.
Caprin
Fwoosh's #1 Rachael Ray fan

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:12 pm

1) PC, PS Vita, Wii, 360, PS3, Dreamcast(emulation). Most of my favorite games are exclusive to one platform or another so often end up owning everything a hardware generation has to offer.

2) Platformers, Survival-Horror, RPG, Action-Adventure, Retro(NES era and some modern Live Arcade titles probably apply, too)

3) I'd like to get back into MMOs, as you know I used to be a huge EQ fanatic but the gameplay mechanics were never very fun or engaging and the social aspect has been diminished by instanced content, player attitudes towards PUGs, etc.

4) I mostly follow developer perspective pieces, economic and statistical news(think PennyArcade Report's content); for the most part the gaming news media is broken and more closely resembles a marketing device/hype machine than a source of information.

5) Both. I like single-player gaming because it's available when I want it. Trying to keep up with friends or work out scheduling issues is a big drawback for me when I suddenly get the urge to kick some ass. So if I want to relax or kill a few minutes before work, I go for single-player. If I need to blow off some steam or if I'm looking for a challenge, I turn to multiplayer; there's just no substitute for playing against an actual person.

6) Wait, you mean I missed one??

7) How much I play depends on what I'm playing. If something I really like is released(Fallout, Dark souls) then I could play for upwards of six hours a day until it's finished, then go weeks without playing anything else. If it's a lower end title I might play for a couple of hours a day every other day or so.

8) Nope.

9) My girlfriend likes to play with my Wii, otherwise I usually just play with myself. I have a ton of Internet buddies for multiplayer but I'm not sure that counts here.

10) Nope.
dcucfan
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:55 pm

1) Own a PS3 and an Xbox 360, yet play the 360 almost exclusively. Reason--Xbox Live.

2)Primarily FPS and Platformers, with the occasional fighting/sports/Kinect game tossed in. I've recently been trying to give MMO's another shot. I like being a part of the game, so hands on interaction is a must (I don't want to order an attack; I want to have the gun/sword, etc)

3)I don't usually play RPG's, as the time needed is more than I have available. Also, I suck at them. And I'm godawful with anything PC.

4)I frequent IGN...frequently. Fairly up to speed at all times

5)Primarily a group player (Xbox Live multiplayer) but will easily lose a few hours to single player games.

6)Bought a Wii, bored with it instantly. Bought a DS, bored with it instantly. I'll always be a standard console gamer.

7)I try and play a few nights a week, but it depends on what I'm playing. With a new game I can put in as many as 20hrs a week, but if it's same ol same ol I might just do 2.

8) Nah, it's pretty much expected for a guy my age to game, no reason to hide it. My comic room however...

9)Girlfriend doesn't play often, and even then just fighting games. But she will watch and comment. And I play with my buddies a couple times a week on average.

10)Video games are really it in that regard. Tried table top once and just didn't get into it. Lots of friends who do though.
mprincem
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:16 am

1) PS3...its all I own
2) action, platformer, fighting, shooter
3) I love sports games and played them all the time in college and high school, but after college I quit playing them b/c there is no one to play regularly anymore.
4) I check IGN.com at least every other day
5) solo usually unless one of my buddies is over at the house
6) not really....PS3 has the only exclusives I care about
7) If I have a new game I play nearly daily. Other times I'll go months without turning my PS3 on.
8) No
9) We borrowed a friends Wii one time and played the new Super Mario Brothers game together. Outside of that she doesn't play.
10) Just video games for me.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:29 am

1) 90% Xbox, 9% PS3, 1% Gameboy Emulator. I like the User interface and controller better, so if a game is out for all consoles, I'll get it for the 360. I get PS3 titles for games like Uncharted, Heavy Rain, etc. And I like Pokemon, okay?

2) RPG, Platformer, action, FPS, some strategy.

3) I play all that I like. Puzzle, fighter/beat 'em up.

4) Yes, I check IGN and other sites about 3 times a week.I also watch as many trailers as I can from E3.

5) Both. I have a couple of buddies from High School that I hit up multiplayer with regularly. Other than that my gaming is erratic. If I play a single player game I'll play for an entire week, maybe 5 hours a day, and beat it. Then I won't play anything but multiplayer for a few months, until I get another game I can't put down.

6) I don't think so. The Wii is aimed at people not me.. And PCs are so expensive to maintain. Graphics cards etc etc. Plus I grew up with the controller, and it's what I'm comfortable with.

7) It depends on the week. I'd say on average 20 hours a month in multiplayer, and 20 a month in singleplayer.

8) No need. Gaming is the most acceptable form of being a nerd ever. I imagine bullying in schools is down in the nerdy area. Everybody loves to play Halo these days. Can't pick on a kid for that.

9) She doesn't care for a lot of the industry standards, especially the sexism in games. Women usually don't serve much of a purpose other than looking good. She liked to watch me play Alan Wake (because of the story) and we're doing the same with Heavy Rain now.

10) i have action figures from games. I suppose that could count. I also like certain board games. Apples to Apples, Scattergories, Catchphrase. A few others. Usually depends on who I'm with. I've got a group of friends who I like to have board game nights with, and that's usually where those come in.
johnnyshadow
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:48 am

1) Xbox360 predominately, for the up to date stuff. I still have all my old game consoles including, Sony PS2 PS. Nintendo Gamecube, N64, SNES, gameboy. Sega, Dreamcast. I also have some very old ones like the jaleco, Panasonic 3DO, MB Vectrex and more.

2) Retro, Casual, Platformer, Fighting, Puzzle, Action, FPS. I tend to like games i can get into easily and then get good mileage out of. e.g. Batman Arkham City. I avoid games like Skyrim, to much leveling up and wandering around. I have never played any of the Mass effect series, WOW or anything like this. Some of my favorite games are Shadow of the Colossus, Parrapa the Rapper and Advance wars 2 on the game boy.

3) I dont play MMO, or RPG's mainly because i cant stand the leveling up and alike. I dont think i really suck at any games but i do get bored easily if the game is not intuitive to play and often i give up on it

4) Not any more I used to spend a ton on magazines but that was before the internet.

5) Only ever played online with my xbox360, i would try yto play more with the fwooshteam but the time difference of where i live buggers that up

6) Yeah, but i would probably only buy 1 up to date console. not interested ing etting all of them and i've never understood the 360 v ps3 battle. they both do great things.

7) 3 hours a week, used to be more but other half and life gets in the way now.

8) No

9) No other half doesn't get it at all, I play Guitar hero with a friend

10) No
kolchak
Leader: "Bring Toys to Canada" movement

Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:09 am

1) I moved recently, and had to store most of my stuff. Because of that I'm restricted to my gameboy advanced and a new 3DS. I do play a bit of flash games online, but i use my computer for work and try to keep games and stuff off the HD.

Back at home, I stick to the wii, and regular x-box most of the time.

2) I guess any of the gameboy games are considered Retro at this point. :lol: I do play a few of the classic NES games on it though, so retro fits. I like adventure games, where you can pick it up and play for a while, then set it down and come back to it later. FPS are fun, but i only have a couple. Really i like a game with a good storyline that's fun to see develop as the game progresses.

3) I'm don't play a lot of FPS to be honest, but enjoy them. Not really sure why i don't play them more often. I don't like fighting games at all, and part of that is because i am terrible at remembering (and punching in) combos to do special moves and stuff.

4) I don't follow it at all really. I notice when a new game comes out that I'm interested in, or a when a new system is released, but I don't actively follow that stuff.

5) I like to play with myself :lol: Nobody else in my area that I know plays games, and I have zero interest in playing online against or with people who have a lot more time to devote to playing than i do.

6) absolutely! I just don't have the cash to do it

7) I probably play about 6-8 h per week right now. Work is relatively light, and I know only a couple people in the new city so there's not much else to do. I really have nothing much to do on weekends so I spend quite a bit of time playing on saturday and sunday.

8 ) Not at all.

9) She's not interested at all. When I played Zelda on the Wii she would sometimes watch because she said it "was like watching a movie", which i can appreciate. She hates FPS games though so I don't play those when she's around (which sheds light on my answer to 3). Don't play with others in my area at all.

10) i was playing boardgames well before i played any game systems seriously(has a lot to do with growing up in the 80's as the systems were just beginning I assume). That's continued even now, because those types of games are easily played with friends at parties and stuff like that. That's as far as my habit goes though.

-k
mrhoyo
HULK SMASH!

Sat May 31, 2014 7:54 pm

1) What are the gaming platforms do you play on? And why?
PS4 because it's the best console around
PS3 because it was the best console around until last year and I've got a backlog of games to play
PS Vita bought mainly for remote playing PS4 whilst the Mrs watches TV but currently playing PS2 classics and Plus games
3DS for Pokemon
Android because it's always with me

2) What type of games do you play: Retro, Casual, Platformer, Strategy, Fighting, RPG, Puzzle, Action, FPS, MMO's? And why?
RPGs because I'm a fantasy kind of guy
Platformers because they don't take themselves too seriously
FPS because my friends play them
MMO because DC Universe online is free

3) What genre of games do you not play, but are interested in? Which ones do you not play because you think you suck at them?
Strategy. I used to love Age of Empires and Battle for Middle Earth but haven't got a capable gaming PC to play newer games.

4) Do you follow game-industry news?
Yes

5) Are you a solo-player? Or do you play with others mostly? Why?
Mainly solo as most of my friends only really play FPS

6) Would you consider playing on other platforms?
If funds allowed. Consoles give the best bang for the buck at the moment.

7) How much time do you spend gaming? Would you play more if it were not for other responsibilities?
Android games approximately half an hour a day. Console games maybe 8 hours a month.

8) Do you hide your gaming inclinations from non-gamers?
No

9) Does your significant other game with you? If you don't have a significant other, do you play with any real life friends?
Occasionally. She's awful though and gets bored easily.

10) Does your gaming habit extend outside of video-games? (i.e. boardgames, tabletop RPG's, LARPing/SCA etc.)
Not really, we play board games around Christmas though.
I'd love to be able to get in to D&D or Warhammer but there's not a great following here.

Return to “The Coin Slot - Video Games”