Official "Last game you played" Thread

No, this isn't the place to talk about low riding jeans or butt cream. In the Coin Slot, it's all about video games - PC, console, handheld, and online.
redxavier
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: Official "Last game you played" Thread

Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:21 am

Max Payne 3:
I'm surprised by how much I hated this game, one of the most frustrating I've played in a while. Cutscenes intruding into the experience between every gunfight, cheap scripting, cheating AI and some iffy controls really ruin it. I just wanted to play the game but it wouldn't let me. I can't walk through a door without a pointless cutscene that any other game would have seamlessly intergrated into the gameplay. It's a movie with some playable bits. Such a shame too because it looks good and there are some really neat ideas added.
Iron YoJimbo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:07 am

redxavier wrote:Max Payne 3:
I'm surprised by how much I hated this game, one of the most frustrating I've played in a while. Cutscenes intruding into the experience between every gunfight, cheap scripting, cheating AI and some iffy controls really ruin it. I just wanted to play the game but it wouldn't let me. I can't walk through a door without a pointless cutscene that any other game would have seamlessly intergrated into the gameplay. It's a movie with some playable bits. Such a shame too because it looks good and there are some really neat ideas added.
I am deeply sorry to hear that. I loved the first two MP games & wanted to see where Max was at now. I liked the character's story SO much I even bought the movie :oops:
Iron YoJimbo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:14 pm

Since my sister in law's outta town for the next little bit I got to borrow her XB360 in return for cat sitting. Been living in Halo Reach for the last couple of days. Everything I wanted in a MPFPS :)
RPM716
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:40 pm

Transformers Rise of the Dark Spark:

Eh. It's supposed to be a movie tie-in, but it's more so a knock off/presequal to the War for/Fall of Cybertron games. Overall it's more of the same, now with poorly rendered movie designs. Oh, and there's no Versus multiplayer, only Escalation/Survival. There's a bit of salt in the wound since there's so many characters to not use against other people. Fail.
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:41 pm

TMNT: Out of the Shadows. Its supprisingly fun if relatively short.
DVD
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:17 pm

Legend of Zelda. The original NES version that I hadn't played until now. Frustrating at first, but more and more engrossing until you're flat out addicted. Seriously, I thought about burning a bush yesterday to see if there was a secret there.

I had a very eclectic assortment of games when I was a kid, and I was way more I to toys/action figures. So now it's time, thanks to Nintendo's Virtual Console, to catch up on some classic games. I picked up Zelda, Metroid, Punch Out, and Mega Man, so I've got my work cut out for me.
Ghost_Hunter
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:54 pm

Shadow of the Colossus - I'm playing the HD version on PS3 that came on a disc with Ico. I hate the controls for the horse but that's a minor gripe(I wish it handled more like Epona in Legend of Zelda). I've killed the first 6 Colossi and have to say I really like this game. I like that i's a quick game though I wouldn't mind if I had to traverse some sort of dungeon and fight smaller monsters until getting to the colossus but just going straight to the colossus works too. I had trouble figuring out how exactly to grab on to a couple of them(first two, fourth and fifth) but I think I think I go the hang of it. I'm planning to be done with it by the end of the week.
Caprin
Fwoosh's #1 Rachael Ray fan

Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:41 pm

I'm currently playing three games:

Rogue Legacy(PS4), a roguelike that's hard as balls and has a nifty perma-death/inheritance system; when you die you don't lose your progress, everything you earned is passed on to the next generation, as well as some of your character's traits. There are all kinds of fun traits, like color blindness, high strength, weakness, gigantism, dwarfism, IBS, ADHD, vertigo, nostalgia, etc. Most of these really do make the game play differently, and the castle/dungeon is procedurally generated, so almost every run is unique. Fun times indeed, detective.

War Thunder(PS4), a free-to-play WWII Flight/Tank game. It has a hardcore sim mode for people who want a more realistic experience as well as an intermediate mode and an arcade mode for those who just want to point and shoot. I'm loving this too, there's a plethora of historically modeled vehicles across five different nations(Russia, US, Britain, Japan, Germany), with tactics to match; like climbing and diving? Then Boom and Zoom as a Gerry or Yank; like turn fighting? Japan and Britain are the way to go. Fancy a bit of both? Russia might be for you! Even on Arcade mode getting kills can be tricky, but all the more satisfying for it, and because every plane handles differently, it actually has a lot of depth.

Shin Megami Tensei IV(3DS), a Pokemon-style game in which you capture demons(really just creatures from various mythologies) to fight for and along side of your JRPG character. It's really fantastic. The combat is actually challenging so you have to pay attention and use your brain a little bit; recruiting enemies to fight for you includes entertaining dialogues and exchanges of goods and services instead of simply throwing a pokeball at them and hoping for the best; an incredible menagerie including naked angels, giant penis monsters and an obscure gypsy hedgehog 'demon' that I didn't think anyone else has ever even heard of, and more!!!!1 If you like Pokemon or just have good taste, this is a game for you.
bigraj
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:51 pm

Still playing GTA V (PS3) online. Ran through a playthrough of Dragon Age: Origins (and Awakenings) for PS3 and am playing DA2 for the first time in anticipation for Inquisition. Also still mixing in some Skyrim.
Iron YoJimbo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:40 pm

Been farming a lot in Diablo 3 (ps3 original) with my wife, trying to gather the mats for a hellfire ring, before we go buy the expansion.
RPM716
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Official "Last game you played" Thread

Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:15 pm

Disney Infinity 2.0- I had $40 trade credit at GameStop, so I was able to get the game for about $35. At that price, I could not be happier with the game. It is kind of a kid's game, but that doesn't hinder how much I enjoy the game. At times, you can pretty much go GTA running people over (they go flying and then get back up) and you can even use people as weapons by throwing them at enemies. Totally recommend checking this game out.
BDCdiesel
Dremel Samurai

Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:15 pm

Alien Isolation:

I [email protected]#$ loved it. The reviews were somewhat mixed, mostly on the postive side, but I thought it was awesome. Man, I can't stop playing it. I've never really re-played a game so much. The recommended way to play it is on hard, but IMO it is more enjoyable on easy. On Hard, the Alien is right on top of you, most of the time, not really patrolling too far away from your hiding spot and you kind of know where he is at all times. If you lower the difficulty, he widens his search radius quite a bit, and comes out to hunt you down more randomly, and it is more suspenseful, not knowing where he is or when he is gonna pop out.

it reminded me of Outlast, another suspenseful non-action game (that I also loved). The biggest difference is, in this game, you get some tools to ward off the bad guys. Though, as in Outlast, the best method is still sneaking and hiding.

I just got Platinum, with the last trophy being to beat it on Hard. Actually, I haven't officially got the Platinum, the last trophy I need is to get killed by the Alien 100 times, but why the hell would I want to brag about that? I did die, a lot, however.

If you love suspenseful games, go for it. If you are a fan of the series, you will absolutely love it and all the fan service packed in.
Samael13
is way smarter than you

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:24 pm

Playing through the TellTale Walking Dead games right now. Just finished my second playthrough of the first season, and still love it. It's high on emotional impact, and great story telling. The 400 Days expansion wasn't bad, but lacked some of the oomph. I'm on the second episode of Season 2 now. It's good, although, honestly, not as good as the first season yet. I don't like the "quick time" directional stuff (I don't know why, but it seems like it sometimes ignores my inputs), and I feel like I'm not given nearly as many opportunities to talk to and get to know the other people in my group. In the first game, there were many times where Lee was given a chance to walk around and talk to people to learn more about them and was forced to make decisions about whether to be honest about himself or hide facts from the group. In the second game, there don't seem to be nearly as many opportunities, and sometimes choosing to talk to one person will immediately cut off any chances to talk with the rest of the group, for no particular reason. Still, "not as good as the first one" is hardly damning, and it's still been really engrossing. Just got to the Ski Lodge now, and looking forward to seeing what happens.

Also downloaded their Fables game "The Wolf Among Us" and looking forward to that.
DioramaMaker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:50 am

Shadow of Mordor.

This game is way better than it has any right to be, but I'm glad for it. While it's essentially the equivalent of Batman Arkham and Assassin's Creed having a kid, and then having said kid cosplay as Aragorn, it's done extremely well.

I guess imitation is the best form of flattery, but it's done so well here and executed cleanly that I can't particularly complain. I'd been playing AC: Unity and this back and forth, and as such I'd actually try to use AC controls in Mordor because it had so many similarities.

My big surprise is the nemesis system though, which really makes the game pop. I can see a lot of games adopting tech like this, because it makes the experience much more personal and interactive. I just ran around hunting Uruks for at least a day and a half, figuring out a lot of the game mechanics before they are even introduced in the campaign. Just got side tracked having fun.

Tl;dr Shadow of Mordor is really good and you should play it. Just make sure it's on next gen so you get the full unhindered experience, because apparently last gen is optimized like ass.
Imhappy
Here comes a new challenger!

Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:45 am

Just picked up a Nintendo 64 so now I am replaying Ocarina of time.

Return to “The Coin Slot - Video Games”