Official "Last game you played" Thread

No, this isn't the place to talk about low riding jeans or butt cream. In the Coin Slot, it's all about video games - PC, console, handheld, and online.
Sloth15
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Official "Last game you played" Thread

Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:30 am

In case anyone is interested, a demo for Outriders is available on PS4/5 now. It's a futuristic third person(!) looter/shooter apparently. Downloading it now. The demo is supposed to be about 3 hours. Figured I take a break from Cyberpunk.
CO_Alex
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:20 pm

Still playing Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, but I am on level 53 now and I’ve built up my ship’s offense and defense so I am kicking butt on the open water. My niece and nephew gave me PlayStation gift cards to buy Valhalla, but I’m enjoying Odyssey so much I am waiting to buy Valhalla.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sloth15
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:12 am

Finished Cyberpunk 2077 this weekend, including a few of the various endings. Despite the rough launch, I really enjoyed this game overall. I guess I had to with 108 hours of time vested in it since starting on launch week. It was a pretty smooth experience overall for me after the first few hot fixes even playing on a base PS4. I haven't had a game killing crash for a long time now. There is one side mission (Two Wrongs Make Us Right) that I cannot complete because the target vehicle doesn't spawn in my game. But that was the worst problem I had.

My favorite aspects of the game were the stealth and hacking options. I thought the stealth worked pretty smooth and consistent and the hacking options once leveled up were kind of OP (at least on Normal difficulty). Weapon combat was good for me too. I really didn't feel a need to upgrade my weapons and gear much in the last third of the game. I focused more on my cyber skills and hacks. I liked the interactions with most characters and enjoyed the different major npc storylines. I really liked the back and forth with Silverhand. Even though he was quite the dick, I still found myself liking the bastard.

There were parts of the game I loathed though. Driving/racing cars (motorcycles were OK) and fist melee bouts. Luckily, the racing and boxing side missions weren't required and I pretty much skipped these. I also didn't use the crafting mechanic much. I think they overdid the amount of side police scanner missions. They probably could have cut these in half as they got to be fairly redundant and felt like padding.

Without getting spoilery, I liked the various endings and the variations on those endings. Of course, some were better than others for me. Be sure to watch the first few minutes of the credits as you will see how the ending affected various characters. Most aren't very significant, but a couple really had an impact I thought. I liked how the various endings played differently and just weren't reskinned versions of the exact same end mission. There are at least two endings that I know of I don't have access to play due to game choices. I'll do another shorter play though with a female V later down the road once the DLCs are out and more improvements made on the game.

I don't know what the DLC plans are for this game, but I really hope at least one is Silverhand-centric. Maybe one from his past with Rogue. Given the different endings, I'm not sure they would do a DLC tied to a specific ending as I don't think one is particularly canon.

So for me, the positives in this game far outweighed the negatives. I enjoyed my time in Night City and dealings with most of the major npcs. I liked the atmosphere as it was different from others I mostly see like wastelands, alien worlds or D&D type game worlds. I was vested in V's storyline and Silverhand's as well and actually cared how it ended.
Neanderthal
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:44 am

Still playing KOF 98 and KOF2002. I love these games.
Adamantium Claws
CROM!

Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:51 pm

Still playing it, but Psychonauts 2. Great game.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:11 pm

I've found myself absolutely addicted to Hades. I 'beat' it last night. It's got a super fun, engaging gameplay loop. Kind of Dark Souls but way more fun and way less 'I [email protected]#$ hate this game, everyone that likes this game, everyone that worked on this game, and everyone that knows this game exists.'
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:37 am

I was eagerly awaiting Hades on Xbox/PS so I could play it with achievements. I'm now 13 hours and about 25 runs in, and I've gotten to the final boss twice. I find it more forgiving than the Souls franchise (which I also like, but can only play co-op), and much more enjoyable. I'm hoping to finally beat it in the next three or four runs. It's already one of my favorite games ever.
KnightDamien

Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:10 pm

TheSameIdiot wrote:
I was eagerly awaiting Hades on Xbox/PS so I could play it with achievements. I'm now 13 hours and about 25 runs in, and I've gotten to the final boss twice. I find it more forgiving than the Souls franchise (which I also like, but can only play co-op), and much more enjoyable. I'm hoping to finally beat it in the next three or four runs. It's already one of my favorite games ever.
I just love how much stuff there is to do, with all the weapon upgrades and the way stage bosses change and get stronger as you do repeated runs, and new enemy types pop up after a number of runs. So far I've done almost 50 runs and it really hasn't 'gotten old' yet.

That final boss battle -- I'm not sure how far into it you've gotten so I won't spoil anything -- sucks. I think my eighth or ninth time dying there is the only time I started to get legitimately angry/frustrated with the game.
TheSameIdiot

Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:29 pm

KnightDamien wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:10 pm
TheSameIdiot wrote:
I just love how much stuff there is to do, with all the weapon upgrades and the way stage bosses change and get stronger as you do repeated runs, and new enemy types pop up after a number of runs. So far I've done almost 50 runs and it really hasn't 'gotten old' yet.

That final boss battle -- I'm not sure how far into it you've gotten so I won't spoil anything -- sucks. I think my eighth or ninth time dying there is the only time I started to get legitimately angry/frustrated with the game.

If you haven't played them, I'd recommend Supergiant's past games, too. Especially Pyre and Bastion. Transistor was really good training for Hades, but easily my least favorite of their four games.

I had some incredible boons the first time I got to him. I almost beat him. I was using Exagryph and had a Daedelus upgrade that turned the mortar attack into a rocket launcher. The second time I had the spear (possibly my least favorite weapon) and an upgrade that turned the attack into a trident pattern. Got my ass beat that time. Ranged weapons seem to be a huge advantage against the first boss, third boss, and fourth boss. When I do beat it, I'm almost certain it'll be with Exagryph or the bow.

A friend of mine beat it in seven hours with the accessibility setting that makes you stronger every run. I'm pretty bad at games, but I'm resistant to try that until I'm certain I can't beat it. I think it's a special game and I'd like to beat it as designed.

My problem is Asterius and Theseus end my run like 75% of the time. At one point, I had three lives, the sword, and the best boon I've gotten in the game so far—+2 health for every successful attack—and they still killed me. I was pretty pissed at myself after that.
KnightDamien

Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:02 pm

TheSameIdiot wrote:

If you haven't played them, I'd recommend Supergiant's past games, too. Especially Pyre and Bastion. Transistor was really good training for Hades, but easily my least favorite of their four games.

I had some incredible boons the first time I got to him. I almost beat him. I was using Exagryph and had a Daedelus upgrade that turned the mortar attack into a rocket launcher. The second time I had the spear (possibly my least favorite weapon) and an upgrade that turned the attack into a trident pattern. Got my ass beat that time. Ranged weapons seem to be a huge advantage against the first boss, third boss, and fourth boss. When I do beat it, I'm almost certain it'll be with Exagryph or the bow.

A friend of mine beat it in seven hours with the accessibility setting that makes you stronger every run. I'm pretty bad at games, but I'm resistant to try that until I'm certain I can't beat it. I think it's a special game and I'd like to beat it as designed.

My problem is Asterius and Theseus end my run like 75% of the time. At one point, I had three lives, the sword, and the best boon I've gotten in the game so far—+2 health for every successful attack—and they still killed me. I was pretty pissed at myself after that.

This is my first Supergiant game, but I definitely want to play more now. I have to see if there's more on Game Pass. I only downloaded Hades on a whim because it had such positive reviews -everywhere- and I was like 'no way it deserves all this hype - it looks like a crappy arcade game.' I have no problem being wrong.

For weapons.. I'm a sword guy. I love swords. And I want to unlock the final sword Aspect really badly because apparently it's awesome looking and stupid powerful. BUT, I would argue that the sword is the worst weapon in the game in its first three aspects. Even leveled up, it's weaker than every other weapon.

The shield is LUDICROUSLY overpowered in some cases, depending on what upgrades you get. Just the fact that the base version bounces around between different enemies makes it pretty powerful, even if its regular attack function kind of sucks. I've done entire runs right up to the final boss with the shield while NEVER using the basic attack function.
The spear is actually pretty powerful too, in my opinion. Especially if you manage the upgrade that allows it to hit up to seven enemies before returning. Even the base version of the spear special means that you can almost always get two shots on an enemy, one of which is a backstab. That's another one where I can go entire runs barely even using the regular attack. The ONE time I beat the final boss was with the spear - with no Aspect upgrades.

One thing I found that's SUPER useful against the final boss is to look for Demeter boons. I have better damage-causing boons on the spear's special, but I put the 'Chill' boon on my regular attack, and run in for a few regular attacks once in a while to keep the boss Chilled. It slows him way down and lets you get in significantly more attacks between his crazy nonsense.

I really don't like the bow, but just because it doesn't fit my playstyle. The only run I enjoyed while using it was because I found an early upgrade that turned its shitty, slow regular attack into a 'hold the attack button to keep firing' attack. That was really good. The gauntlets are way better than they have any right to be, and the magnetic Aspect upgrade is a lot more powerful than I expected - some of the boons for it, like doing 90 damage where you land after hitting your special, can really clear a chamber fast.

Weirdly, I hate the Exagryph. I've only used it for three runs and I did phenomenally poorly each time.

The God Mode setting you mentioned is great. My (7-year-old) son uses it so that the game is still fun for him because at least when you die, you get more powerful so he doesn't feel like he just failed completely. I've also avoided it. BUUUUT.. I might turn it on now that I've beaten the final boss:
Spoiler! :
The game loop never actually ends, and after you beat it once I feel like it got a lot harder and I'm having more trouble even getting the final boss now, let alone having NO chance of actually beating him.

Theseus and Asterius suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. Especially when Theseus does the cocaine or whatever when they get low health and starts begging the gods for help. I rarely get out of there without wasting a life. And then you have all those stupid corridors with all that [email protected]#$ POISON. It's insanely difficult, maybe almost impossible, to get to the final boss with all of your health.

I think I hate those final mini-chambers way more than I hate Elysium's crazy powerful regular enemies and Theseus combined.

Also... why fishing? Why does this game have to have fishing? Like, I know you don't have to do it. But it's just so weird to me that this is now a thing in video games. Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Red Dead Redemption 2, Hades.. all extremely different styles of game. All have fishing mini-games. Game developers: Please stop. Just.. please stop.
TheSameIdiot

Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:03 am

KnightDamien wrote:
This is my first Supergiant game, but I definitely want to play more now. I have to see if there's more on Game Pass. I only downloaded Hades on a whim because it had such positive reviews -everywhere- and I was like 'no way it deserves all this hype - it looks like a crappy arcade game.' I have no problem being wrong.

For weapons.. I'm a sword guy. I love swords. And I want to unlock the final sword Aspect really badly because apparently it's awesome looking and stupid powerful. BUT, I would argue that the sword is the worst weapon in the game in its first three aspects. Even leveled up, it's weaker than every other weapon.

The shield is LUDICROUSLY overpowered in some cases, depending on what upgrades you get. Just the fact that the base version bounces around between different enemies makes it pretty powerful, even if its regular attack function kind of sucks. I've done entire runs right up to the final boss with the shield while NEVER using the basic attack function.
The spear is actually pretty powerful too, in my opinion. Especially if you manage the upgrade that allows it to hit up to seven enemies before returning. Even the base version of the spear special means that you can almost always get two shots on an enemy, one of which is a backstab. That's another one where I can go entire runs barely even using the regular attack. The ONE time I beat the final boss was with the spear - with no Aspect upgrades.

One thing I found that's SUPER useful against the final boss is to look for Demeter boons. I have better damage-causing boons on the spear's special, but I put the 'Chill' boon on my regular attack, and run in for a few regular attacks once in a while to keep the boss Chilled. It slows him way down and lets you get in significantly more attacks between his crazy nonsense.

I really don't like the bow, but just because it doesn't fit my playstyle. The only run I enjoyed while using it was because I found an early upgrade that turned its shitty, slow regular attack into a 'hold the attack button to keep firing' attack. That was really good. The gauntlets are way better than they have any right to be, and the magnetic Aspect upgrade is a lot more powerful than I expected - some of the boons for it, like doing 90 damage where you land after hitting your special, can really clear a chamber fast.

Weirdly, I hate the Exagryph. I've only used it for three runs and I did phenomenally poorly each time.

I believe Hades is the only Supergiant game on Gamepass. Transistor isn't on Xbox, just PlayStation, PC, and Switch. Pyre is PS exclusive. Bastion is on Xbox and reasonably priced. I think I got it for $20.

I've only committed one upgrade to every weapon so far, except the bow, where I doubled down on crit chance. That system seems to be deeper than I realized. I don't think any of the second or third-tier upgrades caught my eye, but I'll give it another look.

I only use the shield to dash-strike. That works out really well in regular chambers, but I struggled against bosses. I may have to give the special a try again.

I don't care for the bow's core functions, but each time I've used it, I've gotten a boon that transformed the special attack into a high-damage ability that shreds everyone in the room. I feel like I'm cheesing the game when I use it. Dash away from enemies, spam the special button until they get close, repeat.

I should hate Exagryph. There's a mortar-type weapon in Bastion that I couldn't stand. And the machine gun fire is pretty weak. That said, I've only had one run with it, but it was my most successful to date.
KnightDamien

Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:00 pm

TheSameIdiot wrote: I believe Hades is the only Supergiant game on Gamepass. Transistor isn't on Xbox, just PlayStation, PC, and Switch. Pyre is PS exclusive. Bastion is on Xbox and reasonably priced. I think I got it for $20.
Ah. Maybe someday, then. I don't have a Playstation, and my computer has gotten a bit long in the tooth for gaming. Maybe I'll play Bastion eventually, but I doubt I'll go out of my way to get it, either.

I actually beat the final boss again last night (with the shield this time), and I got around to unlocking the final Aspect for the sword. Considering everyone says it's crazy powerful, I wasn't all that impressed. It has a fairly powerful ability.. I guess. When you use your special, it creates a circle on the ground that remains for something like 15-20 seconds? As long as you stay in the circle, enemies within are slowed and you have damage reduction (starting at 20 percent). But I mean.. how often in this game do you just stay in one place? It's a good power, but not great. And the regular attack from this Aspect is super [email protected]#$ slow. I got all the way to the final boss with it, but it was not exactly a smooth process. And I died in the final boss fight really quickly because the damage reduction circle is useless in boss fights.

So yeah, even with the final sword Aspect unlocked, I still think the basic shield is the most powerful weapon overall.
TheSameIdiot

Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:31 am

KnightDamien wrote:
The God Mode setting you mentioned is great. My (7-year-old) son uses it so that the game is still fun for him because at least when you die, you get more powerful so he doesn't feel like he just failed completely. I've also avoided it. BUUUUT.. I might turn it on now that I've beaten the final boss:
Spoiler! :
The game loop never actually ends, and after you beat it once I feel like it got a lot harder and I'm having more trouble even getting the final boss now, let alone having NO chance of actually beating him.

Wound up escaping on my 28th attempt.

I hit the boon jackpot on that run. I had Exagryph again, funny enough. This time, Daedalus decked out my standard fire, which turned it into a three-round burst, but I never had to reload. I also had a status effect (Zeus, maybe?) doing extra damage and applying status on every shot. I got another boon to amplify the special attack's AoE and damage (to 300%, I think), so I peppered the final boss with standard fire and then hit him with mortars in his second phase. I got my second-ever legendary boon, too, which was some kind of Athena shield protection. I beat him pretty handily, with 11 HP and a full life to spare.

Pyre is one of my 15 or so favorite games ever and Bastion isn't far behind. Hades is somewhere in my top five. I 100%'d both Pyre and Transistor, and I'm going to do the same with Hades.
Spoiler! :
I was proud of myself for "beating it" without help, so I went ahead and turned on God Mode. Like you, I struggled in the handful of runs since beating Hades the first time. I've failed with the spear, shield, and bow. I lost in Asphodel (how embarrassing), against Asterius, and against Hades. The closest I got was with the spear and Ares' "apply Doom" boon. It seems like I'm going to need the God Mode damage protection, especially if I'm going to expedite my runs and succeed with the heat modifiers. I think you have to escape 10 times to get the full ending, so that's my first goal.

From what I understand, upgrading all keepsakes is the most time-consuming part of 100%ing the game. It takes about 80 runs, but it may take me more because I used Lucky Tooth and the Old Spiked Collar almost exclusively to this point.

I don't mind, though. I'm still having a blast with it. SuperGiant games are nothing like the big-budget action games I usually play. It's a testament to their characters, writing, genuinely good music, unique art direction, and addicting gameplay loops.
KnightDamien

Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:05 am

TheSameIdiot wrote:I was proud of myself for "beating it" without help
I'm not going to spoiler anything anymore. Given the activity level of this thread, I can't imagine anyone cares. I only held back from spoilers so I didn't ruin it for you since I knew you were still at it. And I'm pretty much still where you are so I've got nothing I can spoil for you.

I think you're right that it's 10 runs to 'really beat it.' I'm taking a bit of a break now and starting my first ever run of Skyrim. But I'm going to go back to Hades soon. I just played SO much of it in such a short time, so I need to reset myself. I don't know if I'll actually go for 100% completion. I want to complete the actual story, but I don't think I care about all the widgets and fiddly-doos. As I said previously, I already unlocked the main thing I wanted in the final form of the sword, and I wasn't even particularly impressed by it. And I do think that killed my enthusiasm a little bit. I was pretty excited to do a few runs with some absurdly powerful weapon.

I really liked the Myrmidon Keepsake. As long as you keep your front to the enemy as much as possible, it's some decent damage reduction when leveled up. I found all the 'X god is more likely to show up and more likely to drop a rare' Keepsakes to be completely worthless and I only ever equipped them when I was considering going for completion. The Black Shawl is really good leveled up if you're using the spear and doing the special constantly, because the return on the spear is usually backstab damage.
I was surprised by how useful Dusa's Keepsake was. It really doesn't seem like much - but combined with the mirror ability to claw back 3 health when exiting a chamber, finding a health up in 50% or more of the chambers can actually mean you stay full health for an entire level. Eurydice's keepsake is also kind of ridiculous if you've managed to put together a high-damage build because you can hammer each boss without worrying too much about getting hit for at least a little while. Fully leveled, that keepsake makes you ignore the first -5- hits from a boss. Which is actually really powerful, in my opinion.

Anyway... all the boring technical stuff aside -- I was shocked by how much I liked this game. It might actually be in my top 10 games I've EVER played. Can't really think of anything they could have done better - even down to the dialogue, funny god nonsense, and music. It's all good. Except the final sword aspect. I can't speak to any of the other final aspects, but for how much of a pain they are to unlock, I wish they were more powerful (or.. the sword.. maybe the other ones are crazy powerful -- I don't know).
TheSameIdiot

Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:11 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:05 am
TheSameIdiot wrote:I was proud of myself for "beating it" without help
I'm not going to spoiler anything anymore. Given the activity level of this thread, I can't imagine anyone cares. I only held back from spoilers so I didn't ruin it for you since I knew you were still at it. And I'm pretty much still where you are so I've got nothing I can spoil for you.

I think you're right that it's 10 runs to 'really beat it.' I'm taking a bit of a break now and starting my first ever run of Skyrim. But I'm going to go back to Hades soon. I just played SO much of it in such a short time, so I need to reset myself. I don't know if I'll actually go for 100% completion. I want to complete the actual story, but I don't think I care about all the widgets and fiddly-doos. As I said previously, I already unlocked the main thing I wanted in the final form of the sword, and I wasn't even particularly impressed by it. And I do think that killed my enthusiasm a little bit. I was pretty excited to do a few runs with some absurdly powerful weapon.

I really liked the Myrmidon Keepsake. As long as you keep your front to the enemy as much as possible, it's some decent damage reduction when leveled up. I found all the 'X god is more likely to show up and more likely to drop a rare' Keepsakes to be completely worthless and I only ever equipped them when I was considering going for completion. The Black Shawl is really good leveled up if you're using the spear and doing the special constantly, because the return on the spear is usually backstab damage.
I was surprised by how useful Dusa's Keepsake was. It really doesn't seem like much - but combined with the mirror ability to claw back 3 health when exiting a chamber, finding a health up in 50% or more of the chambers can actually mean you stay full health for an entire level. Eurydice's keepsake is also kind of ridiculous if you've managed to put together a high-damage build because you can hammer each boss without worrying too much about getting hit for at least a little while. Fully leveled, that keepsake makes you ignore the first -5- hits from a boss. Which is actually really powerful, in my opinion.

Anyway... all the boring technical stuff aside -- I was shocked by how much I liked this game. It might actually be in my top 10 games I've EVER played. Can't really think of anything they could have done better - even down to the dialogue, funny god nonsense, and music. It's all good. Except the final sword aspect. I can't speak to any of the other final aspects, but for how much of a pain they are to unlock, I wish they were more powerful (or.. the sword.. maybe the other ones are crazy powerful -- I don't know).

I think it makes sense to balance completion with another game. I'm actually gearing up for my second ever Skyrim run, though I tend to get sucked into TES/Fallout, so I probably won't start it until after I finish Hades. That's either next for me or after Death's Door.

I was able to defeat Hades again today, this time with the fists, a weapon that I had used no more than twice before. I've been letting the weapon darkness RNG guide me, and that strategy has worked so far. I probably wouldn't have picked Exagryph or the fists on my own. I'd be using the shield or sword repeatedly and slamming my head against the wall.

One of the things I love about the game is how it's usually pretty clear whether or not you have a chance to complete a run. I have a lot of practice with SuperGiant games, so between that and God Mode, which protects me at 34% now, I usually make it to the Elysium boss fight every time. But I can tell by Asphodel whether or not I have a chance at actually killing the big guy. Reacting to the RNG and boons in real-time is surprisingly fun. You can play the long game, valiantly try to keep yourself alive as long as possible, or use a run to boost your resources. It keeps things fresh in a game where I've essentially made the same 30-50 minute run on 35 separate occasions.

One of the only things I don't like about the game is what's locked behind a search engine. I constantly look things up in video games. I would much rather spend an extra hour glued to my browser than miss a key item or relationship-building moment. That hasn't been the case with Hades. I've figured just about everything out on my own. I was finally forced to look up how to unlock the hidden weapon aspects and how to truly complete the game. It felt a little out of place in a game where you can figure things out through trial and error.

I agree that there's a surprising amount of utility in the keepsakes. I got a boon that added a damage bonus based on 5% of my obols. Next time I had the opportunity to change keepsakes, I equipped the Chthonic Coin Purse. The game rewards you for thinking on your feet instead of picking favorites. (That said, I'm not sure how the Shattered Shackle would ever be enough to complete a run.)

I almost never have this much to say about games. Especially positive things. The fact that we've gone back and forth about it this many times is emblematic of how special the game is.

Return to “The Coin Slot - Video Games”