Official "Last game you played" Thread

No, this isn't the place to talk about low riding jeans or butt cream. In the Coin Slot, it's all about video games - PC, console, handheld, and online.
kailryu
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Official "Last game you played" Thread

Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:03 am

Replayed Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune on the HD remaster. Really nice opportunity to revisit the locations with the new photo mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:40 pm

Fired up my Dreamcast and messed around on Jet Grind Radio. Still an absolute classic that is unmatched in style, save for maybe once in a console generation. Now I'm looking at the Dreamcast and considering doing an HDMI upgrade, but that's a project for another day.

Was prompted to dust the old (but not yellowed!) DC off after my boss's son, who is a gamer, came by the workplace and we chatted about consoles. He had never even heard of the Dreamcast, and he's nearly 20. Scary stuff.
Lobster Johnson
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Location: The good Lobster is in the Lodge, and he can't leave

Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:43 pm

Looks like the Last of Us 2 thread got wiped, but I finally finished that. The original is an all-time top 3 game for me, and I have to say this was a worthy sequel and an excellent game in its own right. Really bold and interesting in its approach. The backlash is crazy to me, I'd much rather have a challenging sequel like this than empty cash-in fan-service. Great game.
kailryu
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:12 pm

Just finished the HD remaster of Uncharted 2, hadn’t played it since the once-through on the PS3 about 6-7 years ago, so had forgotten a lot of depth and richness which was a real treat to rediscover. It’s true that it’s quite scripted and basic in terms of world interaction but the story is so charming and engaging, the environments are so nicely laid out, you can really absorb yourself into the atmosphere like a beloved pulp adventure story. The HD remaster is well done too, it’s an absolute joy to revisit.

Samael13
is way smarter than you

Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:12 pm

jimbles wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:40 pm
Fired up my Dreamcast and messed around on Jet Grind Radio. Still an absolute classic that is unmatched in style, save for maybe once in a console generation. Now I'm looking at the Dreamcast and considering doing an HDMI upgrade, but that's a project for another day.

Was prompted to dust the old (but not yellowed!) DC off after my boss's son, who is a gamer, came by the workplace and we chatted about consoles. He had never even heard of the Dreamcast, and he's nearly 20. Scary stuff.
I still regret selling mine; I had a boot disc and ton of import games, and it was just a super fun, weird machine. I loved that Gundam: Side Stories game. The Dreamcast release was probably the best SoulCalibur has ever been, even though it didn't have the create a fighter mode. When I was in college, we played the hell out of Worms, Powerstone 2, Toy Commander, and ChuChuRocket.

Those old Sega consoles may not have been as popular as Nintendo or Sony, but they had some real gems on them, all the same.
panther10
has a big doo-doo head and stupid face

Official "Last game you played" Thread

Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:20 pm

I’ve been playing DC Universe online again for the first time in almost 10 years and I’ve forgotten how steep the learning curve is in this game. I’ve only played about three of the main story missions and it doesn’t take very long for my character to get completely rinsed by normal henchmen. Isn’t there normally supposed to be some kind of linear learning curve in story based MMO games like this? I thought that what typically is supposed to happen is that if my character is a Level 1, bots and NPC’s will usually be about 1-3 levels higher than my character, so the difficulty threshold is slightly higher but not to the point where you feel like I can’t fight my way out of a situation. But for some reason in this game, the moment I step into a combat zone, my character gets completely shellacked regardless of how many times my character abilities and gear have been upgraded. I can’t fight my way out of anything!

Sloth15
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:17 pm

I just finished playing Mass Effect Andromeda for the first time (PS4). I enjoyed my 70+ hours playing it. I liked the premise of exploring a new galaxy and trying to establish a home. I thought they did a good job of making that progress felt by the player when you established a new outpost or found a lost ark. While it did have a few technical issues, nothing was game-killing for me fortunately. I found myself laughing at some of the animation issues. The numerous tasks got tiresome toward the end, but I enjoyed exploring around the game universe. I also liked most of the supporting characters. I hate that the DLC never saw the light of day. The Quarian substory would have been neat I think.

I thought the small section toward the end where you play as the other Ryder sibling was a pretty clever way to tempt you to play again as that sibling. I may go back later on and play in a different style than I did the first time. But other games in the stack await.
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:01 am

Some odd months ago I picked up a Nintendo New 2DS XL from Walmart for $100. Ever since then I've picked up some odds and ends, but the level of piracy for certain titles is staggering so I'm slow at getting the things that I want. Amazon has been especially terrible, since the 3DS games they sell have a high chance of being "world editions" without mentioning it in the item description.

My latest focus has been two titles: Animal Crossing New Leaf, and Pokemon Crystal (from the eShop).

I've never played an Animal Crossing game before, so it has been a pretty fresh experience. I like how small and contained it is, and how you build a world in a box without worrying too much about the obvious and glaring limitations. Not sure how deep into it I'm going to get, but I find myself turning the game on every few days and plugging away at it. The main problem is that there just doesn't seem to be quite enough things for me to grasp, so I feel a dull sense of boredom after doing the same routine tasks. Turn on the game, collect shells, sell them, dig up fossils, donate or sell them, grab some fish, sell them, give an item to a townsperson, turn off the game, repeat next time. Not exactly my bag but I'm giving it a shot.

Pokemon Crystal is pretty damned comfy so far. A few months back when I first got my 2DS I dipped my toe into my first Pokemon games since original RBY (Ultra Sun & Moon), but they never quite hooked me. The story didn't feel like it was developing with any sort of deliberate pace and the lack of any meaningful stakes made the world feel like a chore to get through. Crystal on the other hand is exactly my kind of jam, making sure you're thrown into some bigger events within the first few hours of play and alluding to big mysteries all around you. Since RBY were such monumentally important games to me, it also feels like I have time traveled and am catching up on the generation of Pokemon that I just barely missed out on, without skipping a beat. It's exactly like RBY, but turned up a few levels. I have found myself playing it multiple times a day, for an hour or two per stretch. Just really great stuff.

Next up on my 2DS purchasing list will be Metroid: Samus Returns, Super Mario 3D Land, Pokemon X&Y, Alliance Alive, and Yokai Watch.
gunbuster718
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:42 pm

Been playing Hades at the moment. I don't know why, but just like Binding of Isaac, when a Rogue-like is fun you just can't help but be addicted to it. Probably on the low tier from other people but I cleared the game after like 40th or 50th run because I suck,.... But now, it just clicks, and really learn all the metas and builds.

Think of also making a Zagreus custom figure using a Shang Chi.
kailryu
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:38 pm

Played Uncharted 1-4 again over the last couple of months, significantly making use of the photo mode since I haven’t gone on holiday in a long time.

2 is probably my favourite but the cracks begin to show in 3 and are very evident in 4 where Hennig has now left the company ad Druckmann is leading on a property he clearly doesn’t feel the same love for.

I still love the series as a whole but it’s hard to really consider them as great games rather than just great experiences to be a passenger in, because the level of environmental interaction and gameplay versatility is so basic by the time you get to 4 compared to games like Snake Eater, a PS2 game from 12 years and 2 console generations previously!

KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:49 am

My early birthday gift from my wife was AC: Valhalla, so I started on that when I got home from work today. So far it's pretty fun - but predictably reminiscent of the previous few games in a lot of ways - right down to the sound effect when you loot objects. But I'm not far in yet, so I'm sure there's more differences in gameplay as it goes on. It's another damn AC game where you can't dive off tall objects from the beginning and need to unlock that ability after like ten hours of gameplay.

And I'm playing on my One X, so there's literally zero graphical difference between this game and Odyssey.

Fun, though. I'm enjoying what little I've played so far and looking forward to getting into it more when the kids are in bed.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits

Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:57 am

I changed my mind. It's 'kind of fun' - but also kind of absolute shit. Valhalla fails at things Odyssey already did better. It's janky in certain areas. The combat is way more button-mashy (and yet punishes you for same) than Odyssey. They made the conscious decision to put two-handed swords in the game, but to NOT allow you to use ANY single-hand swords. There's not ONE one-handed sword for you to use in the entire game. This is confirmed direct from the Devs. A Viking game. A Viking game where you cannot use the iconic sword of 'The Viking Age.' And -most- of the weapons and armor in the game are absolute fantasy nonsense. Odyssey achieved something awesome in its kind of ridiculous variety in that you could have gear that was totally fantasy.. kind of realistic but with fantasy elements.. or very realistic. It totally depended on your tastes. I went into Valhalla so excited to see that level of detail and thought put into an early medieval game. I was SO excited only to be MASSIVELY let down by the Devs deciding the base game would have like.. five sets of armor total, that most of them would be full-on fantasy, and that even the better one would be almost full-on fantasy by the time you finished upgrading it.

The dialogue is.. meh. Characters contradict themselves (I just sat through a conversation where a character -learned that Norway existed- and then ten seconds later remarked that Norway was bigger than England). The level scaling is broken as [email protected]#$ and makes no sense. On several occasions I've been in an area with a Power rating (level) the same or lower than my own Power rating only to try to do something and find out when I tried to do it that it's WAY over my power level. I've got three fantastic examples:

Tried to engage in a raid in a Power Level 20 or something area. Hovering over the raid from a distance on my map.. it shows no recommended level. Approach and begin raid. In a level 20 area. Raid starts and we jump off my ship and start running at the enemy only to see red skulls over them. These enemies are around level [email protected]#$ 90. So I died and just didn't do that again. So I go and complete a quest that is AT my level to build a hut in my settlement for the crazy magic lady and then drink her gross vision tea. Super. I'm suddenly doing some shitty storyline with all the Norse gods. Great. The boss at the end of this RIDICULOUSLY BROKEN, JANKY battle level can one-hit kill me, because this mission is actually way above my level. Great. But now I'm trapped here, so I found an exploit to get through the first mission and then just 'woke up' back onto the main map and went on my way, with the 'drink the magic vision tea' quest now reading at like 45 levels above me.
THEN.. I'm exploring a Power 55 (or something like that) area and find one of the Mysteries that's scattered around. Just shit to interact with, like tiny missions or enemies to defeat. It's some crazy murderer .. monster.. lady. Now, from even just a few feet away, there is NO power level on this encounter. It's just an icon on my map with no info available beyond 'it's a bad guy to fight' until you actually start the encounter. In an area of the map that is set to Power 55. So I head over and start the encounter. To get one-hit killed because SHE IS OVER LEVEL [email protected]#$ 200.

[email protected]#$. The amount of times I've died in this game because a completely unmarked or incorrectly marked encounter was way, way over my level is ludicrous. Almost as ludicrous as DEFINITELY having a level system and claiming your game doesn't have levels.

The skill system [email protected]#$ sucks. It's a big ol' constellation that you, for some reason, are not allowed to 'see' anything on until you've unlocked it. So you have no real idea what you're progressing -toward- until the next section unlocks. It's easily, and I mean easily, the most idiotic leveling system I've ever seen in any game I've ever played seen. I honestly can't even imagine a worse way to ask players to progress their character.

I want to love this game so bad. I wanted 'Odyssey.. but Vikings/Saxons' -- because that would have been an amazing game. But that's not what this game is. This game is a broken mess that improves on Odyssey in ONE way (you can use a shield) and fails spectacularly compared to Odyssey in every other way I can think of right down to how poorly your boat handles. Yeah, even the boat in Odyssey was better than the one in Valhalla. This thing doesn't need a patch. It needs another 2 years of development and a better art director that cares as much about capturing the look of the period AND injecting lots of cool fantasy elements as the Odyssey team did.
Zombie F-Body
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Location: "Never before have lives less lived been more chronicled"-Dennis Miller about social media

Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:48 am

Getting ready to fire up the post-update Cyberpunk 2077. Played it at launch on my XBox One X and didn't notice much wrong. Can't comment on content or stuff that was cut but from a stability perspective it was about as buggy as any Bethesda game of this type. I noticed some items that should have been laying on a table floating in the air next to the table but that's as egregious an error that I encountered. Still find tons of stuff like that in Fallout 4 to this day.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:08 am

I've been playing it on my one x since launch and while it clearly suffers in graphical areas to try and maintain some performance, its overall glitches have as you said been nothing more obscene than what I've experienced in other open world rpgs like elder scrolls or even games like mass effect.

Prior to the last update I did have a few hard crashes that shut down the game, I havent had that since the update but it still occasionally stalls on occasion then kicks back into gear and keeps going.

I've had a few oddball and even comedic glitches but nothing I couldn't get over or move on from. I'm enjoying the game for what it is, I dense game full of random shit to do and I actually enjoy the visits from Keanu.

I do wish the gear customizing was different, I hate wearing really stupid ass outfits to maintain high armor levels. I know I dont really see my character but a pink bunny eared pilot cap, belly shirt, daisy dukes and a saiyan power level reader aren't the kind of gear that I feel make my guy look intimidating....
BDCdiesel
Dremel Samurai

Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:42 am

Cyberpunk, I don't care for. I never had a desire to play that game. I've actually loved playing PS4 games on PS5. 1 in particular has been MGS V. I love it now, lower loading times , it's great! I'm trying to platinum it, and now, with ps5 it is faster and better!

Return to “The Coin Slot - Video Games”