Official "Last game you played" Thread

No, this isn't the place to talk about low riding jeans or butt cream. In the Coin Slot, it's all about video games - PC, console, handheld, and online.
BasilKarlo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Official "Last game you played" Thread

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:36 pm

I figured a thread for discussing the smaller/less massive games that wouldn't get their own threads would be nifty, like the "Last movie you watched" thread in the Multiplex.

I've been playing Portal 2 and it is a really well made game. Real time and thought went in to every level, and the character designs are awesome. The last game that made me stop and think "The entire dev team loved what they were doing" like I did with this was Borderlands. I can see myself sinking a lot time into this one.
Zephyr Roc
They call me MISTER FIG

Re: Official "Last game you played" Thread

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:49 pm

Portal. The first one. I never really noticed it when it came out but looking at Portal 2 made me want to buy it. So...as soon as I can, I will get Portal 2.
MARVEL KNIGHT 2099
Such a cute little cheerleader

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:06 pm

Portal 2

Heads and shoulders above the first one. While Portal was a fun puzzlefest with a relatively simple story, this one goes all out. You learn about the history of Aperture, GlaDOs and a bit more about Chell. The new characters, Cave Johnson, the founder of Aperture and voiced by J.K. Simmons, and Wheatley, an orb robot voiced by Stephen Merchant, are equally fantastic and funny.

As for the gameplay, it stays the same with a few tweaks to make it easier for you, like adding a zoom button for precision portal placing at long distance. There are also new things to use to your advantage, like hard light bridges, different colored gels and lasers.

I'm probably halfway done with the single player and haven't even touched the co-op, which is it's own story, so this game has like over twice the amount of playtime then the first. Fan-f**king-tastic game.
Caprin
Fwoosh's #1 Rachael Ray fan

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:02 pm

If it has double the playtime of the first does that mean it's four hours long? :lol:

Portal 2 is really, really, really good. The gameplay is genuinely fun and engaging, the way it should be. Too often games are all about graphics and the marketability of the stupid space marines on the box, something that's almost ruined the hobby for me. This title avoids that unpleasantness, achieving esteemed awesomeness in nearly every regard. Dude.

The orb's animation was remarkably good in the beginning. Nervous characters usually wear on me but it was done well enough that I actually enjoyed it. The game's dialogue is just plain fun and well acted, too. I've always been more of a sadist than a masochist but so far I'm very much enjoying the verbal abuse.

My only complaint, and one that afflicted the first game, is that I haven't been thoroughly challenged by any of the puzzles yet. I'm only on chapter 3 so hopefully it'll improve with time although I completed the first game with relative ease so maybe not.
digity815
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:04 pm

glad to see other people have bought portal 2 and are liking it. I never played the first one but have only heard good things. I got interested in portal 2 when i saw a commercial for it. I'd consider myself to be a moderate gamer but am wondering, without playing the first one, how easy will it be to catch on to the story and to pick up the game play?? Any thoughts would be appreciated...
Caprin
Fwoosh's #1 Rachael Ray fan

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:40 pm

Go for it. You'll be firmly within your element inside of the first ten minutes of playing the game.
chubbyman
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:41 pm

should this be renamed to the portal 2 thread? :lol:
Sneaking Box
Rides The Lightning

Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:50 pm

Yeah I really think Portal 2 deserves its own thread. I was gonna make one for it once I got it but I don't have it yet soooooooooooooo......

Anyway, been playing through Super Mario 64 again recently. Somehow I never beat it before. I'm sure you all have fond memories of it, but holy hell is it outdated. The controls and shitty camera angles make it almost unplayable at times. Also, some of the levels are absolute ass. Really, the best levels are the ones you can play in the beginning. After that it becomes extremely hit or miss, with the hit/miss ratio leaning uncomfortably towards the latter. Still a fun game, but there are a lot of WTF moments with level design etc.
chaosMonkeyPoo
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:19 am

Last game I've played is actually Marvel vs Capcom 2. I finally downloaded the HD version on PSN since its on sale this week for $6.99. I still enjoy MVC3 a bit more, but its nice going back and playing the classic.
Dormammu
Mumu of Evil

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:28 am

Been playing small amounts of....

Team Fortress 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Total War: Medieval 2 with "Stainless Steel" mod 6.4 (the only way to play this older game)
Dawn of War: Soulstorm online
Dawn of War 2

I'm a bit behind the times, but I'll soon be getting Borderlands GoTY edition, and Total War: Shogun 2.

I'm eagerly awaiting "Space Marine" and Duke Nukem Forever.
september_death
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:34 pm

Back to Portal 2...I'm in room 17 on single player. So far so good, nothing too challenging.

But multiplayer is where it's at. It's a lot trickier with four portals, since almost every room has a field that nulifies portals. And there are a lot of timing tricks that you need to pull off. Definitely takes more planning than you initially think. I think they disabled the chat feature on PS3 specifically to make it harder (you can gesture to your partner items of interest/where to shoot their portals).

SD
digity815
Runs Around in Tights

Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:45 am

I took the plunge and bought both tiger woods and portal 2. Both games that I haven't played the previous ones. Im not a huge fan of tiger woods (mainly because I suck at it). I know you are supposed to be awful when you start golfing in real life, but it's no fun shooting a triple bogey in a video game. Portal 2 on the other hand is AMAZING!! I'm having a blast figuring out all the different puzzles. I highly recommend this game!!
Popoman
CROM?

Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:18 am

I had never played through the campaigns of any of the Halo games so recently I've been doing that.

I beat Reach, Halo 1, and Halo 2. They were all pretty good, I enjoyed them more than I thought I would. It's much more fun to play through co-op with a friend, though.
Sneaking Box
Rides The Lightning

Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:27 am

Wait until Q3 (I think) of this year, Bling. They're rereleasing Halo 1. Updated graphics etc. and it'll have co-op campaign over Xbox Live. It's going to be amazing.
chubbyman
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:17 am

GTA 4 complete edition (playing ballard of gay tony episode)
Batman AA for the 3rd time, cannot wait for Arkham City
occasional black ops matches...UNTIL PSN BROKE DOWN :x

Return to “The Coin Slot - Video Games”

Recent Topics