Official "Last game you played" Thread

No, this isn't the place to talk about low riding jeans or butt cream. In the Coin Slot, it's all about video games - PC, console, handheld, and online.
KnightDamien
Exceeds Text and Quote Limits
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Official "Last game you played" Thread

Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:34 pm

TheSameIdiot wrote: I almost never have this much to say about games. Especially positive things. The fact that we've gone back and forth about it this many times is emblematic of how special the game is.
Absolutely. I think what makes it fun/interesting to talk about is how your experiences can be so different from someone else, but with a lot of overlap so there's still common ground. Most games I play either you diverge in skill/style early on and your games are only similar in the actual story but completely different in play, or you've got games where play style doesn't matter as much and your experience is pretty similar to everyone else's.

This game just feels very different from every other game I've played in the last... [email protected]#$.. decade?

Totally agree about unlocking aspects (and the 'special' keepsakes or whatever - which I don't even remember how to unlock and I certainly didn't figure out through gameplay). Those two things felt really off with the rest of the game for the reason you mentioned; they don't track with how the rest of the progression works. You could play this game forever and never know how to unlock those because the conditions are so specific and not very intuitive.

I have to work out of town for a couple of weeks coming up quickly, so I'm probably going to rest this one until I get back and then go at it again in God Mode to try to at least complete the full story. My son is already a bit tired of it even in God Mode, but he's already asked if I think they'd do a Odin/Valhalla version of the game so you can be a dead viking warrior trying to escape Valhalla and I was like... that's a [email protected]#$ awesome idea.
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:32 pm

im currently playing Battle field 4, ive always liked BF more than COD. great game, not easy.
Lantu
HULK SMASH!

Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:50 pm

Currently playing Ben 10 Alien Force for the Wii. Extremely underrated game
KnightDamien

Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:38 am

Oh my [email protected]#$ god. Who decided that shooters need to have complicated, [email protected]#$ traversal mechanics? Like, who the hell asked for double jump super duper extra sky dashes in [email protected]#$ DOOM?!
I literally almost threw my controller through my television today because I can't get past this stupid area where there's several idiotic dash-jump-leap-off-a-pole bullshit segments in a row and I cannot do it. This is NOT what I play Doom for. And it's not like first person shooters are ANY goddamn good at platforming. All I wanted was to relax to a stupid shooty game. [email protected]#$ Bethesda. As usual.
lalefi
I wish I had super powers

Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:04 pm

I play metroid dread is a very good game, I'm not used to 2D metroid, I found that the game still had a good lifespan. The difficulty is well balanced.
ShowBox Tutuapp Mobdro
BDCdiesel
Dremel Samurai

Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:35 am

I recently played Metroid Dread. The absolute hardest Metroid game I have ever played. I cant [email protected]#$ beat the last boss, too damn hard. I'm anxious to try the "Easy mode". I'm playing Elden Ring now, It's as hard as a "Souls game", but there are easy components. Like the horse, it makes it easier to fill out the map, grab items and such, but the temples/caves/bosses still take some skills, ha ha.
Samael13
way more of a know-it-all than you

Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:54 pm

I've been playing the hell out of the Hitman: World of Assassination trilogy. I've got Silent Assassin:Suit Only on almost every level, and I'm still diving into locations to find all the story missions and hidden story missions. Not massively in love with the Escalation Arcade feature or with most of the Featured Contracts, though they've improved some. There's just a few too many that rely on weird exploits to be able to accomplish SASO, or where the contract is trolling ("Kill these three targets with by throwing food at them!" "kill these four targets while wearing a disguise that allows you to escape a certain way nearby, but then the only available exit is all the way at the opposite end of the damn map." That's not clever, it's just annoying.)

Supposed to be some new content coming soon, which will be welcome, but I'm really still finding new things out on the levels, as is, so I'm not burning up for new content, yet. I guess they're making a James Bond game next, which I'm here for.
Night Wolf
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:15 pm

Almost forgot, picked up Payday 2. Havent had time to play it though. been busy. maybe on the weekend.
KnightDamien

Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:49 pm

TMNT: Shredder's Revenge is a blast.

If you've played and enjoyed previous TMNT arcade games, you'll enjoy this. If you like TMNT and enjoyed Streets of Rage 4, you'll enjoy this. Honestly, if you're just in for a fun time and like TMNT, you'll enjoy this. It's a really good, fairly laid back game. On easy mode it's almost impossible to actually lose, so if you're just looking for a no-challenge, nostalgia play - this works for that as well.

And the Story Mode option makes it even easier since it saves your progress as you go, with the trade-off being that you don't start the game 'full power' and have to earn various special attacks, extra HP, and extra lives.

You have to beat Story Mode to get Casey Jones. To be fair, I do think that's a LITTLE bit of a bummer since this isn't a game I'd say has tons of replay value. I had the same issue with SoR4, where by the time I'd really mastered the mechanics and unlocked that silly 16-Bit skin for Axel, I was already mostly done with the game.

But that's a minor quibble, and Casey is actually pretty fun to play. All the Turtles manage to play a little differently from each other and I got my ass-kicked a couple of times switching to a new turtle for the first time and finding that the tactics I was using before didn't really work anymore.

I don't want to spoil who the final boss is just in case you're going to enjoy being surprised but it's fantastic. Actually, all of the final round enemies are chosen really well and are just so much fun. Lots of actual Turtle love went into this game and it shows.

Aaaanyway.. super fun. I enjoyed the hell out of it.
BDCdiesel
Dremel Samurai

Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:34 am

I loved it. My only complaint is no Granitor. I'm thinking old school TMNT II the arcade game. I missed him.
Samael13
way more of a know-it-all than you

Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:55 pm

Picked up Rebel Galaxy Outlaw on sale, and I'm really enjoying it. It's more or less Wing Commander Privateer set in the Rebel Galaxy universe. If you're looking for arcade space combat dog-fighting/piracy/trading, this might be a good option. It's more arcade-y than Elite Dangerous and more sim-y than, say, Star Wars Squadrons. You'll have to manage power-output to shields/engines/weapons, and you can do things like kill your inertial dampeners to maintain velocity but alter your orientation. The space-western setting carries strong Cowboy Bebop vibes, to me. Digging it, so far.
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:30 am

Finally finishing Sifu, and having a blast playing.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:26 pm

I have a few things in my backlog (Cult of the Lamb and Dragon's Dogma), but once I finish those, I'll have to get Sifu.
KnightDamien

Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:15 am

I started Ghost of Tsushima the other night. I haven't done very much with it, as my gaming time is really limited. But I'm mostly enjoying it so far. Yes, it's pure fantasy, but I do like the historical bent.

Turning on the ...sort've autotargetting.. seems to help a bit. I still find that Jin likes to take swings in random directions sometimes even when within striking distance of enemies. It's absolutely [email protected]#$ bizarre for a game like this to have no legitimate targeting system.

I also have to admit that I can't stand how close the camera is. Riding a horse and you can barely see what's to the left at all. It's pretty awful, and it makes combat .. not more difficult, but definitely more annoying. I have no idea why the decision in some games like this or GOW is made to have the camera be right up your ass, so that you, the player, have -significantly- less awareness of your surroundings than the actual character in the game would have.
TheSameIdiot
No...really...EXACTLY the same

Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:23 am

KnightDamien wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:15 am
I started Ghost of Tsushima the other night. I haven't done very much with it, as my gaming time is really limited. But I'm mostly enjoying it so far. Yes, it's pure fantasy, but I do like the historical bent.

Turning on the ...sort've autotargetting.. seems to help a bit. I still find that Jin likes to take swings in random directions sometimes even when within striking distance of enemies. It's absolutely [email protected]#$ bizarre for a game like this to have no legitimate targeting system.

I also have to admit that I can't stand how close the camera is. Riding a horse and you can barely see what's to the left at all. It's pretty awful, and it makes combat .. not more difficult, but definitely more annoying. I have no idea why the decision in some games like this or GOW is made to have the camera be right up your ass, so that you, the player, have -significantly- less awareness of your surroundings than the actual character in the game would have.

I platinumed Ghost of Tsushima. It's possibly the best Assassin's Creed game. :lol:

It took me over a year to finish Ghost because I became frustrated with the lack of a lock-on. They added it in a later patch, but as you mentioned, it still leaves a lot to be desired.

Like a few other PlayStation exclusives (namely Spider-Man), I enjoyed it less the more I played it. I'm just over the Ubisoft-style clear-the-map gameplay. The story, setting, and art style are very good, though. And I only have my own OCD to blame for playing it after I lost interest.

I gotta disagree about God of War. GOW 2018 is my favorite game ever and I think the over-the-shoulder camera is the most inspired creative choice in a video game in a long time. The fact that it never "cuts"? Genius. Chef's kiss.

Return to “The Coin Slot - Video Games”