Mego WGSH return w/50th Anniversary DC 8 inch figures!

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
Xavion2004
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: Mego WGSH return w/50th Anniversary DC 8 inch figures!

Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:07 am

Well, damn. I guess I am all in. Mego styled figures in and of themselves don’t appeal to me at all as an adult, but the meticulous attention to detail in recreating both the figures and the boxes hits the nostalgic sweet spot for me.

It’s only these boxed figures that appeal to me which is odd since many of the original Megos I had as a kid were purchased at Kresge’s or K-Mart. If these were on cards, no matter how faithfully they were reproduced, it would be an easy pass. Even though I played with my Megos every day between 1973 and 1978, it’s the 1973-1975 era and that initial “wave” of 8 that I have the most affection for.
Nebraska
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:26 pm

I'm too young for MEGO as I was born in '82, BUT I'm a huge Twisted ToyFare Theater fan. When I found these two days ago, I can't tell you how hard it was to resist Batman and Superman. Had it been Spider-Man or Hulk, I would have snatched them instantly though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

captaincracker
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:07 pm

I'm no young man, but I'm a little too young to have ever owned these as a kid. Even so, I'm super excited about the line. I used to play with my cousin's old Megos once in a while when I was little and I've been collecting toys long enough to be very familiar with the line. I pre-ordered all of the repros and I hope we see more soon. The only vintage Megos that I have are Hulk and Spider-Man and I'd love to see a few of those Marvel figures reissued too.
JAG2045
Customized

Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:18 pm

Nebraska wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:26 pm
I'm too young for MEGO as I was born in '82, BUT I'm a huge Twisted ToyFare Theater fan. When I found these two days ago, I can't tell you how hard it was to resist Batman and Superman. Had it been Spider-Man or Hulk, I would have snatched them instantly though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Same here, if they did a retro Mego Spidey I would totally get one as I loved TTFT growing up!
Sidetrip
Super Poseable

Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:09 pm

Paul Clark a.k.a Dr. Mego sent one of his original sets of Mego figures, boxes and all, to the factory making these so they'd have physical references. Only difference between these and original Mego is the new bandless bodies these have. Also be careful with these. Seen a few people post about elbow joints being really tight. Some have snapped off.
Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Catwoman, Reverse Flash, Joker, Riddler, Penguin, and Batgirl are coming next. Mego has said they are going to keep making these until told to stop. They really want to fill in the gaps with characters that should have been made back then like Flash and Green Lantern. On an overseas website there are listings for Bizarro, Brainiac, and Scarecrow. Speculation is these are under the W.G.S.H banner. They do keep asking for Marvel so hopefully maybe one day Spider-Man and the rest can be made.
bananaman
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:13 pm

Xavion2004 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:07 am
Well, damn. I guess I am all in. Mego styled figures in and of themselves don’t appeal to me at all as an adult, but the meticulous attention to detail in recreating both the figures and the boxes hits the nostalgic sweet spot for me.

It’s only these boxed figures that appeal to me which is odd since many of the original Megos I had as a kid were purchased at Kresge’s or K-Mart. If these were on cards, no matter how faithfully they were reproduced, it would be an easy pass. Even though I played with my Megos every day between 1973 and 1978, it’s the 1973-1975 era and that initial “wave” of 8 that I have the most affection for.
I had Batman, Robin, spider-man and the Batmobile for a Birthday in 75 and to this day one of my earliest memories. I loved them so much even with no baddies to fight. I was raised in England and I am not sure we had the same access to all the figures in the line.

Couldn't pass these up, way too much nostalgia and they still have the same draw. I did aquire Superman, The Thing, Human Torch and Cap. America a couple of years later but they never beat the original 3 from 75.
Mego's are to me what Superpowers are to so many others. The line that inspired a lifetime of collecting. At $20 I might be tempted to build the collection that I never had as a kid.
Xavion2004
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:44 pm

I was wondering if Myxlplyx would make the cut. On one hand, you want to recreate the original assortments, but on the other, well…we’ve all seen the figure, and some of us even owned one. I think I would have just replaced Myxlplyx with Luthor though, not Reverse Flash.

It’s nice that they want to keep the line going as long as possible, but I think the returns will rapidly start diminishing after these first eight. I’m not interested in building a “What if?” Mego satellite JLA, classic JSA, or New Teen Titans. I’m not even interested in the original Mego Teen Titans.

After these first eight, I will probably buy the next wave (sans Reverse Flash and Catwoman, a figure that I NEVER liked) and call it a day. You might be able to tempt me with a LoD Lex Luthor or a Black Canary, though. (I rocked a “custom” Black Canary as a kid by putting a pair of black Star Trek pants and Catwoman’s boots on Supergirl without the cape and the long gone emblem. :lol: )

That’s about it unless/until they get the Marvel License. I would also be down for Tarzan, although it may be hard to blend him in package wise since that license no longer falls under DC.

They do seem to be selling well now that word is getting out. BBTS and Amazon are both pre sold out of Batman, Shazam, and Green Lantern, and BBTS is pre sold out of Flash.
Grouch
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:22 pm

Mego has some other DC figures besides these. Are they also on the band less bodies or no?
Krypt0nite
Super Poseable

Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:05 pm

I think Shazam, Black Adam, Green Arrow, R'as al Ghul, Batman Beyond, Deathstroke, Red Son Superman, Flashpoint Batman, and Red Hood are all the other (carded) DC figures on the bandless bodies.
Grouch
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:15 pm

There was a nice Dick Grayson Robin carded that I wasn’t sure about the type of body he has. If it’s not the new body I will pass on him.
Krypt0nite
Super Poseable

Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:55 am

The carded Dick Grayson Robin is in the old banded body. Great figure, though!
Sidetrip
Super Poseable

Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:45 am

I could see them redoing the older releases with the new body down the line.
Xavion2004
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:35 pm

Krypt0nite wrote: I think Shazam, Black Adam, Green Arrow, R'as al Ghul, Batman Beyond, Deathstroke, Red Son Superman, Flashpoint Batman, and Red Hood are all the other (carded) DC figures on the bandless bodies.
It’s my understanding that there are now two companies making Mego styled figures under the DC license. Figures Toy Company which has produced most of what we’ve seen over the last several years, and the relaunched Mego proper that produced the figures that Krypt0nite mentioned above.

I’m not sure what, if any, overlap there is between the two companies in terms of ownership and management. I really haven’t followed Mego repos too closely until these 50th anniversary figures.
Sgt. Stinky
CROM!

Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:33 pm

Xavion2004 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:42 pm
Sgt. Stinky wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:10 pm
These were my first ever action figures! I had an original removable cowl Batman but I broke him while playing with him. I saw Batman, Robin and Superman at Walmart but didn't have enough on me to grab any. I went back this morning and they were all gone. Yeah I think I am going to have to jump down this rabbit hole probably. SIGH.
Did your Batman just literally fall apart? That’s what happened to mine. My Grandmother put him back together with elastic. He was floppy as hell, but he was back!

Man, it was a different world back then. Even though we lived quite comfortably, it wasn’t “We’ll just go to the store and get you another one” like it is today. It had nothing to do with cost because they were $1.99 at the time. There just wasn’t that concept of “disposability” back then like there is now. You bought something, you took care of it, and if it broke, you fixed it.

I ordered Batman from BBTS because he was my very first action figure. I’m not sure if I’ll go down the rabbit hole or not. I had no interest whatsoever in in any of the reproductions until now, but these are so incredibly well done.

I’m really intrigued by Green Lantern and Flash. I wanted Mego to make them so bad back in the day. I still don’t understand why they didn’t.
Yes he did! I was moving his arm up and he just came apart. I was a very lucky and spoiled kid. My Mom got me a new one for my birthday but by that time he no longer came with the removable cowl.
PJ
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:26 pm

So my Amazon orders that were supposed to be here over the last two day have both been delayed until Dec 21. And my BBTS orders I received the orders processing soon emails 10 days ago. Normally when I get those emails they are in stock within two days. I have a feeling this isn’t going to be the Mego Christmas I was planned on.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”