McFarlane DC Multiverse Black Adam Movie Wave

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
aceofknaves
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse Black Adam Movie Wave

Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:19 am

Inclusion is an *excellent* reason to make changes to established societal norms, and in pop culture very much so. “Pop” is short for “popular”, after all, and thus pop culture should reflect the populace. And the populace ain’t all white.
That said: Maxine Hunkel is not a character that is established enough for it to make a whit of difference by whom she portrayed onscreen, as long as the actor is talented: and Quintessa Swindell is talented indeed. We are lucky to have her, especially in a film helmed by someone for whom “acting talent” is not a viable skill. Sorry, Dwayne.
At any rate: not even Maxine’s legacy forebear, Ma Hunkel, has a recognizable look. She literally wore a pot over her whole head. I think we can allow latitude for the Hunkels.

Anyway. Still on the fence with these figures, probably need to see the film first.
Dr. Langstrom
Faster than a speeding bullet
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:40 pm

You'll have to excuse me. I'm the typical 60 year old white man who sees his culture shrinking, and a younger generation who seems to have no respect for what came before.
Haven't read a DC Comic since the start of New 52.
As far as I'm concerned DC crapped itself by that reboot, and Marvel killed itself back at the fall of the original ",universe. " Herores Reborn" indeed.
Couldn't even enjoy the new Batman movie.......
It just seems like someone else is " playing with my toys"....
Believe me, I'm trying to do my best to accept change.
I have a 30 year old younger sister who is gay and married to her lovely wife. I've grown to accept their lifestyle, and even support lots of current "movements"..so I'm growing and adapting to this new world..
Maybe someday I'll even be able to live with a black Commissioner Gordon!!
Dr. Langstrom aka Man-Bat
hbprops
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing

Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:12 pm

aceofknaves wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:19 am
Inclusion is an *excellent* reason to make changes to established societal norms, and in pop culture very much so. “Pop” is short for “popular”, after all, and thus pop culture should reflect the populace. And the populace ain’t all white.
That said: Maxine Hunkel is not a character that is established enough for it to make a whit of difference by whom she portrayed onscreen, as long as the actor is talented: and Quintessa Swindell is talented indeed. We are lucky to have her, especially in a film helmed by someone for whom “acting talent” is not a viable skill. Sorry, Dwayne.
At any rate: not even Maxine’s legacy forebear, Ma Hunkel, has a recognizable look. She literally wore a pot over her whole head. I think we can allow latitude for the Hunkels.

Anyway. Still on the fence with these figures, probably need to see the film first.
Thank you for this. All of it.

I have a strange feeling this movie will be this years “The Suicide Squad” for me in that I went in with critically low expectations and it ended up being Immensely enjoyable. I hope that, should that happen, this wave will still be kicking around.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know a good donor to kitbash some bare arms onto Atom Smasher for a more comic look? The regular 7” one seems like it would be simple enough but the bigger one may be trickier.
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:42 pm

Dr. Langstrom wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:40 pm
You'll have to excuse me. I'm the typical 60 year old white man who sees his culture shrinking, and a younger generation who seems to have no respect for what came before.
Haven't read a DC Comic since the start of New 52.
As far as I'm concerned DC crapped itself by that reboot, and Marvel killed itself back at the fall of the original ",universe. " Herores Reborn" indeed.
Couldn't even enjoy the new Batman movie.......
It just seems like someone else is " playing with my toys"....
Believe me, I'm trying to do my best to accept change.
I have a 30 year old younger sister who is gay and married to her lovely wife. I've grown to accept their lifestyle, and even support lots of current "movements"..so I'm growing and adapting to this new world..
Maybe someday I'll even be able to live with a black Commissioner Gordon!!
Dr. Langstrom aka Man-Bat
You can do it, man. Just remember it's not a "new world," it's "the world," which has always been changing and always will.
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:18 am

I received by deluxe size Sabacc figure this weekend (it arrived while I was out of town) and while I really don't think it will work on my DC shelves - it looks like it will fit in amazingly with my Mythic Legions figures. It's well detailed and nicely rendered. I've never been big on articulated toes - they tend to make figures fall down more easily and I almost never use dynamic toe posing. Also, even one accessory might have been nice, not really because the character requires one as because it's SUCH a big box and there ends up being a lot of empty space in there.

Still I'm happy with the figure and glad I ordered it, although part of me is nagging that I should have waited for it to hit clearance since so much McFarlane product seems to do so.
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:26 pm

I'm interested in Sabaac, but I just don't have any real connection to him. Maybe after the movie I'll change my mind. I can't hear "Sabaac" and not think "Star Wars card game" though.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

gpmartin414
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:51 am

Got the whole wave/set from Amazon the last few days.

Very excited to get some JSA characters for this line. Also, since I’m not a wrestling fan, I don’t have any Rock action figures. He seems like a person you should have an action figure of if you collect action figures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PJ
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:52 am

I saw a lone Dr Fate at the Edgewater NJ Target last night. So I was going to get it until I scanned it seeing if they had more of the set in stock. They didn’t have anymore, but the price rang up as $27.99!? So I put it back. After tax that’s $30 for one figure without a BAF. No thank you.
MLNUT
Yells At Clouds

Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:25 pm

These figures are $19.99 in my area (MA). I've seen every figure BUT Hawkman which of course is the one I want the most. One Target had SIX unhooded Black Adam and that was it.
PJ
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:39 pm

That’s what I thought they were going to cost.
Boggsy1982
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:22 pm

I purchased the regular size Atom Smasher today. I had Black Adam in my hand, but decided last minute to grab Atom Smasher instead. I could do without the Deadpool lookalike aspect, but the figure is nice. Makes me want the megafig of him now!
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:42 pm

I just went with the megafig version of him, since I only want one version on my shelf. What's his superpower? Grows big? Megafig makes sense.
Boggsy1982
Runs Around in Tights

Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:00 pm

Mister Skeezler wrote:
I just went with the megafig version of him, since I only want one version on my shelf. What's his superpower? Grows big? Megafig makes sense.
That's true and the direction I would have went...but I haven't seen any megafigs in my area and this figure was more of a impulse buy.
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:21 pm

Boggsy1982 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:00 pm
Mister Skeezler wrote:
That's true and the direction I would have went...but I haven't seen any megafigs in my area and this figure was more of a impulse buy.
I hear you, and I was super tempted to get both (and I might do that eventually). That's just the argument I used with myself. :)
heman008
Avengers Assemble

Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:23 pm

Wasn’t there supposed to be a Black Adam on throne or am I remembering things wrong?

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”