DC Superpowers 2022

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
User avatar
gpmartin414
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Astoria
Posts: 4854
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:14 am

Re: DC Superpowers 2022

Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:12 am

Image

I think these look great together. Deathstroke in particular is my favorite.

The only way I’m “eh” about is The Batman Who Laughs. I get that the line is supposed to be modern looks of classic characters in classic-style packaging, but that version of the character is just too specific. Hoping that it doesn’t mean we won’t get a more traditional but still modern proper Joker.

Very excited for the upcoming Batmobile and hoping we see playsets like the Hall of Justice.

I imagine this like will be like the Target exclusive McFarlane Batman ‘66 like and only release maybe six to nine figures a year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PG-Superfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1673
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 am

Re: DC Superpowers 2022

Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:18 am

I think it honestly probably depends on the design whether it would NEED to be $40.

Anti-Monitor has a bonkers design that would require as much paint as Todd uses in a year of figures if done in Super Powers style at 12". And if he charges $40 for 12" with 18 POA and he charges $40 for 12" with 0 POA then it seems like he'd charge $40 for 12" with 5 POA. Plus, it's probably 50% more massive than a $30 vehicle.

But at the same time, I did all kinds of math in the Multiverse thread and determined that he could probably do an Anti-Monitor an inch taller than Haslab Galactus, with standard Megafig articulation for $120 with his pricing. So maybe we'd be better off with that. Then we can recreate the Crisis #12 cover with Super Powers.
PG-Superfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1673
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 am

Re: DC Superpowers 2022

Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:23 am

gpmartin414 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:12 am
Image

I think these look great together. Deathstroke in particular is my favorite.

The only way I’m “eh” about is The Batman Who Laughs. I get that the line is supposed to be modern looks of classic characters in classic-style packaging, but that version of the character is just too specific. Hoping that it doesn’t mean we won’t get a more traditional but still modern proper Joker.

Very excited for the upcoming Batmobile and hoping we see playsets like the Hall of Justice.

I imagine this like will be like the Target exclusive McFarlane Batman ‘66 like and only release maybe six to nine figures a year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crazy to think that in just 8 months or so, this line is already over 25% the size of the Kenner line. If it lasts, we're on track to have a bigger line than vintage by January 2025.

And we'll soon be at 4 vehicles to vintage Super Powers' 8. Just need a playset and 4 more vehicles on that front.

I think this could honestly be a bigger line.
User avatar
Andru
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: NW PA
Posts: 1787
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:32 pm

Re: DC Superpowers 2022

Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:15 am

Found Deathstroke tonight, so all caught up on this line...at least the figures I want.

Any hints or news about future releases?
Christo
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:43 am

Re: DC Superpowers 2022

Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:32 am

Well, we know that the Batmobile and Invisible Jet are on their way in ‘Spring 23’.

After that, we’ve seen a leaked Reverse Flash and a poster on these boards indicated that a Catwoman was in the pipeline. No window for them sadly.

I’ve been wondering whether Todd would be able to reign in his Bat-tendencies for this line, but the more I think about it, I’m thinking he shouldn’t. Yes, there were no doubles in the OG Super Powers line, and I understand wanting to keep the feel of the original. But they only lasted three years, and one of the reasons was because there were no Supermans and Batmans on the shelves. We’ve now seen plans for the fourth year of SP offerings, and even Kenner had realized they needed to get the big guns back out there.

All of this is to say I won’t mind a bit more Batman - a classic yellow-ovaled Marshall Rogers sculpt for instance - to keep the line going. The first wave is already gone at my local Walmart (and no Flashes from W2), and I think that folks that happen upon the line in the future would like at least one Superman a year.
User avatar
Andru
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: NW PA
Posts: 1787
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:32 pm

Re: DC Superpowers 2022

Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:51 am

Definitely in for Catwoman...if true.

I'm not the biggest DC fan but this line just hits all the right spots for me.

While the Batwing & Supermobile didn't do anything for me, the Batmobile & Invisible could be very tempting!
User avatar
geoffdude
Customized
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 173
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:04 pm

Re: DC Superpowers 2022

Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:25 am

Batman of Zur-En-Arrh should be a given.
Christo
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:43 am

Re: DC Superpowers 2022

Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:07 am

I wonder if Wave 4 will include Captain Sparklefingers. Todd’s usually pretty savvy about movie releases. Maybe save Reverse Flash for W5 and Aquaman for 6 or 7?
User avatar
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 4082
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:02 am

Re: DC Superpowers 2022

Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:04 am

I finally found the new Wave and bought one each of Nightwing, Deathstroke, and Wonder Woman. The Deathstroke figure is incredible. I like all 3 figures, but Deathstroke just pops in every way. Excellent figure. Especially for $10.

I can't wait until the Batmobile starts showing up. I have to have that to go with the Batwing.
Hawkgirl_70
Here comes a new challenger!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:12 am

Re: DC Superpowers 2022

Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:53 am

So has it been said if Todd McF plans to recreate the entire line as it was originally + sprinkle in new characters? I really hope so because I missed out on collecting those during that time.

And do you think we’ll get a Hall of Justice?
PG-Superfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1673
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 am

Re: DC Superpowers 2022

Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:34 am

Hawkgirl_70 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:53 am
So has it been said if Todd McF plans to recreate the entire line as it was originally + sprinkle in new characters? I really hope so because I missed out on collecting those during that time.

And do you think we’ll get a Hall of Justice?
So far, he hasn't really recreated anything. Superman was the closest. I think he's more or less just trying to make what he sees as the top 30 or so most popular heroes and villains in contemporary iconic looks.

We know Reverse Flash is coming. I'd wager Harley Quinn is a given.

A lot of older fans would like a new playset to use alongside their old Hall of Justice but I don't think the old line really factors into Todd's plans. I do think a playset makes sense but I think Todd will pick it based on what's relevant to the current comics without caring what has or hasn't been made.

I think a new Hall of Justice is very likely. It's only really been a comic book HQ since 2005 (only appeared in Super Friends comics before that) but it's routinely been used and Scott Snyder used it and Todd is a fan of Scott's. I also think it's an easy playset to do and, honestly, easy to do better than the original Kenner toy with core features like a table the JLA can all sit at.

Other contenders I can see based on recent comics would be:

The Orrery of Worlds. Created by Grant Morrison in Multiversity and a fixture of Crisis-level events since then, it's basically the good guy HQ at the center of the multiverse. Important to Scott Snyder's comics and Dark Crisis.

Warworld. Mongul's planet, where he forces champions to engage in gladiator fights. Important to Scott Snyder's comics and a recent Action Comics run.

The Fortress of Solitude. Hasn't been made as a playset since the 70s but was greatly desired during the 80s line. Pack in Krypto and you have something different that would likely be a favorite.

Brainiac's Head Ship. Used as both a hero and villain HQ at various points, it's an iconic design.

What I don't think he'll do:

The Batcave. Everyone has made a Batcave. I can see Todd wanting to make one but he already did one in the 66 line and Super Powers feels like an odd place for one as Batman shares the spotlight here. I see Todd wanting to go all out and do the T-Rex robot and trophies. I just lean towards the idea that Todd would save this for either a really impressive 7" Multiverse release or a dedicated Batman 5" line that spins off from Super Powers. It wouldn't feel right as a home to all of your Super Powers figures.

Arkham Asylum. See all of the above.

Apokalips. Darkseid's world. Fans of the 80s line want it. But, honestly, a lot of big modern Darkseid fights don't seem to involve Apokalips. I'm not even sure I view Darkseid as being the leader of the villains in the new Super Powers after Pariah and Deathstroke stole his thunder in Dark Crisis. It's kind of a generic play environment. Throne. Firepits. I guess maybe Todd would make it as he did make thrones a few times in Multiverse but I'm not feeling it here as the first playset anyway.

Themyscira. Too many women figures Todd'd have to make.

If I had to guess, I'd predict the line being something like this:

1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Darkseid
4. John Stewart
5. Flash
6. Batman Who Laughs
7. Wonder Woman
8. Nightwing
9. Deathstroke
10. Dr. Fate
11. Green Arrow
12. Reverse Flash
13. Harley Quinn
14. Black Adam
15. Lex Luthor
16. Red Hood
17. Starfire
18. Bizarro
19. Shazam
20. Cyborg
21. Joker
22. Batgirl
23. Black Manta
24. General Zod
25. Peacemaker
26. Raven
27. Bane
28. Blue Beetle
29. Deadshot
30. Gorilla Grodd
31. Supergirl
32. Beast Boy
33. Martian Manhunter
34. Hawkgirl
35. Doomsday
36. Catwoman
37. Jon Kent
38. Attrocitus
39. Mera
40. Hawkman
41. Atom Smasher
42. Talon
43. Jay Garrick
44. Alan Scott
45. Conner Kent
46. Impulse
47. Hal Jordan
48. Sinestro
49. Stargirl
50. Tim Drake
Christo
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:43 am

Re: DC Superpowers 2022

Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:16 am

In addition to everything listed above, I also want an Oa playset with a giant light-up Power Battery.

DC Direct/Collectibles teased me with one about a decade ago, with a display of 3 3/4 figures. Sadly, they turned into comic convention exclusives, didn’t do well, and the playset never was produced other than the display model.

Come to think of it, I want that unmade Darkseid’s Tower of Doom playset too. Or a reasonable facsimile.

And while I totally dig that list of figures, I realized a month ago that 34 would not be enough (the number produced by Kenner in the OG line). Now, looking at what 50 looks like, that’s not enough either.
Hawkgirl_70
Here comes a new challenger!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:12 am

Re: DC Superpowers 2022

Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:13 am

I would like to see Two-Face and eventually the Riddler and Penguin. Black Canary might be nice too.

So are releases like 3 figures every quarter?
Can we get them any faster?
Tenement Funster
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:46 pm

Re: DC Superpowers 2022

Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:00 pm

PG-Superfan wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:34 am
Hawkgirl_70 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:53 am
So has it been said if Todd McF plans to recreate the entire line as it was originally + sprinkle in new characters? I really hope so because I missed out on collecting those during that time.

And do you think we’ll get a Hall of Justice?
So far, he hasn't really recreated anything. Superman was the closest. I think he's more or less just trying to make what he sees as the top 30 or so most popular heroes and villains in contemporary iconic looks.

We know Reverse Flash is coming. I'd wager Harley Quinn is a given.

A lot of older fans would like a new playset to use alongside their old Hall of Justice but I don't think the old line really factors into Todd's plans. I do think a playset makes sense but I think Todd will pick it based on what's relevant to the current comics without caring what has or hasn't been made.

I think a new Hall of Justice is very likely. It's only really been a comic book HQ since 2005 (only appeared in Super Friends comics before that) but it's routinely been used and Scott Snyder used it and Todd is a fan of Scott's. I also think it's an easy playset to do and, honestly, easy to do better than the original Kenner toy with core features like a table the JLA can all sit at.

Other contenders I can see based on recent comics would be:

The Orrery of Worlds. Created by Grant Morrison in Multiversity and a fixture of Crisis-level events since then, it's basically the good guy HQ at the center of the multiverse. Important to Scott Snyder's comics and Dark Crisis.

Warworld. Mongul's planet, where he forces champions to engage in gladiator fights. Important to Scott Snyder's comics and a recent Action Comics run.

The Fortress of Solitude. Hasn't been made as a playset since the 70s but was greatly desired during the 80s line. Pack in Krypto and you have something different that would likely be a favorite.

Brainiac's Head Ship. Used as both a hero and villain HQ at various points, it's an iconic design.

What I don't think he'll do:

The Batcave. Everyone has made a Batcave. I can see Todd wanting to make one but he already did one in the 66 line and Super Powers feels like an odd place for one as Batman shares the spotlight here. I see Todd wanting to go all out and do the T-Rex robot and trophies. I just lean towards the idea that Todd would save this for either a really impressive 7" Multiverse release or a dedicated Batman 5" line that spins off from Super Powers. It wouldn't feel right as a home to all of your Super Powers figures.

Arkham Asylum. See all of the above.

Apokalips. Darkseid's world. Fans of the 80s line want it. But, honestly, a lot of big modern Darkseid fights don't seem to involve Apokalips. I'm not even sure I view Darkseid as being the leader of the villains in the new Super Powers after Pariah and Deathstroke stole his thunder in Dark Crisis. It's kind of a generic play environment. Throne. Firepits. I guess maybe Todd would make it as he did make thrones a few times in Multiverse but I'm not feeling it here as the first playset anyway.

Themyscira. Too many women figures Todd'd have to make.

If I had to guess, I'd predict the line being something like this:

1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Darkseid
4. John Stewart
5. Flash
6. Batman Who Laughs
7. Wonder Woman
8. Nightwing
9. Deathstroke
10. Dr. Fate
11. Green Arrow
12. Reverse Flash
13. Harley Quinn
14. Black Adam
15. Lex Luthor
16. Red Hood
17. Starfire
18. Bizarro
19. Shazam
20. Cyborg
21. Joker
22. Batgirl
23. Black Manta
24. General Zod
25. Peacemaker
26. Raven
27. Bane
28. Blue Beetle
29. Deadshot
30. Gorilla Grodd
31. Supergirl
32. Beast Boy
33. Martian Manhunter
34. Hawkgirl
35. Doomsday
36. Catwoman
37. Jon Kent
38. Attrocitus
39. Mera
40. Hawkman
41. Atom Smasher
42. Talon
43. Jay Garrick
44. Alan Scott
45. Conner Kent
46. Impulse
47. Hal Jordan
48. Sinestro
49. Stargirl
50. Tim Drake
Dang, man. That is a crazy good list. I'm also amazed at your fortitude. LOL
PG-Superfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1673
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 am

Re: DC Superpowers 2022

Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:29 pm

Tenement Funster wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:00 pm
PG-Superfan wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:34 am
Hawkgirl_70 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:53 am
So has it been said if Todd McF plans to recreate the entire line as it was originally + sprinkle in new characters? I really hope so because I missed out on collecting those during that time.

And do you think we’ll get a Hall of Justice?
So far, he hasn't really recreated anything. Superman was the closest. I think he's more or less just trying to make what he sees as the top 30 or so most popular heroes and villains in contemporary iconic looks.

We know Reverse Flash is coming. I'd wager Harley Quinn is a given.

A lot of older fans would like a new playset to use alongside their old Hall of Justice but I don't think the old line really factors into Todd's plans. I do think a playset makes sense but I think Todd will pick it based on what's relevant to the current comics without caring what has or hasn't been made.

I think a new Hall of Justice is very likely. It's only really been a comic book HQ since 2005 (only appeared in Super Friends comics before that) but it's routinely been used and Scott Snyder used it and Todd is a fan of Scott's. I also think it's an easy playset to do and, honestly, easy to do better than the original Kenner toy with core features like a table the JLA can all sit at.

Other contenders I can see based on recent comics would be:

The Orrery of Worlds. Created by Grant Morrison in Multiversity and a fixture of Crisis-level events since then, it's basically the good guy HQ at the center of the multiverse. Important to Scott Snyder's comics and Dark Crisis.

Warworld. Mongul's planet, where he forces champions to engage in gladiator fights. Important to Scott Snyder's comics and a recent Action Comics run.

The Fortress of Solitude. Hasn't been made as a playset since the 70s but was greatly desired during the 80s line. Pack in Krypto and you have something different that would likely be a favorite.

Brainiac's Head Ship. Used as both a hero and villain HQ at various points, it's an iconic design.

What I don't think he'll do:

The Batcave. Everyone has made a Batcave. I can see Todd wanting to make one but he already did one in the 66 line and Super Powers feels like an odd place for one as Batman shares the spotlight here. I see Todd wanting to go all out and do the T-Rex robot and trophies. I just lean towards the idea that Todd would save this for either a really impressive 7" Multiverse release or a dedicated Batman 5" line that spins off from Super Powers. It wouldn't feel right as a home to all of your Super Powers figures.

Arkham Asylum. See all of the above.

Apokalips. Darkseid's world. Fans of the 80s line want it. But, honestly, a lot of big modern Darkseid fights don't seem to involve Apokalips. I'm not even sure I view Darkseid as being the leader of the villains in the new Super Powers after Pariah and Deathstroke stole his thunder in Dark Crisis. It's kind of a generic play environment. Throne. Firepits. I guess maybe Todd would make it as he did make thrones a few times in Multiverse but I'm not feeling it here as the first playset anyway.

Themyscira. Too many women figures Todd'd have to make.

If I had to guess, I'd predict the line being something like this:

1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Darkseid
4. John Stewart
5. Flash
6. Batman Who Laughs
7. Wonder Woman
8. Nightwing
9. Deathstroke
10. Dr. Fate
11. Green Arrow
12. Reverse Flash
13. Harley Quinn
14. Black Adam
15. Lex Luthor
16. Red Hood
17. Starfire
18. Bizarro
19. Shazam
20. Cyborg
21. Joker
22. Batgirl
23. Black Manta
24. General Zod
25. Peacemaker
26. Raven
27. Bane
28. Blue Beetle
29. Deadshot
30. Gorilla Grodd
31. Supergirl
32. Beast Boy
33. Martian Manhunter
34. Hawkgirl
35. Doomsday
36. Catwoman
37. Jon Kent
38. Attrocitus
39. Mera
40. Hawkman
41. Atom Smasher
42. Talon
43. Jay Garrick
44. Alan Scott
45. Conner Kent
46. Impulse
47. Hal Jordan
48. Sinestro
49. Stargirl
50. Tim Drake
Dang, man. That is a crazy good list. I'm also amazed at your fortitude. LOL
I started out at 33 to match the original line (which wasn't hard because we're 9 in and know Reverse Flash is coming) and kept going because there were too many I want. LOL!

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”