DC Superpowers 2022

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
OfficialJihad
HULK SMASH!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: DC Superpowers 2022

Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:21 pm

4LOTT wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:47 pm
It’s also a question of what the owner of the licence will and will not allow. If Warner doesn’t think it’s in its best interests to have their IPs depicted in outdated 40 year old costumes then Todd needs to abide by that decision. Same as not being able to include guns with the figure. From a similar perspective it would be as if the original Super Powers figures were to have been made to resemble their forty year old golden age counterparts
Exactly! People get so hung up & stuck on the past, when all Warner is trying to do is market & promote their current comics, movies, etc. Nostalgia is great but you have to build for the future.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:35 pm

Yeah, that’s why I think that after the dust settles for Dark Crisis and Flashpoint Beyond, there will be a new status quo in the DCU. A touch of stability which hasn’t existed in the DCU in a decade.

That’s where I think we get some world building out of Todd. Current looks from current comics. That said, nostalgia is a powerful force and I think we see some of that as well.
Super Camel
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:44 pm

I can't believe they are doing the Rocketeer in the Long Box Heroes line that is going to be like Super Powers. That is awesome!
Sidetrip
Super Poseable

Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:22 pm

All the Long Box figures look really good. Hope these lines blend together well.
4LOTT
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:05 am

Super Camel wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:44 pm
I can't believe they are doing the Rocketeer in the Long Box Heroes line that is going to be like Super Powers. That is awesome!
Not just a Rocketeer but a comics accurate Dave Stevens Rocketeer with the correct rocket pack. I’ve waited for this figure since the character was first introduced pre Disney. Going to be a long wait until 2023. I hope these are produced. Still upset about all the still un produced mezco 5 point figures.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:25 am

Year 2 Robin wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:52 pm
Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:54 pm
For whatever wave of $#!+ this brings me, I just don’t believe that a figure line can survive on nostalgia alone anymore. ....Hush Batman and New 52 Superman and Darkseid were the tip off.
You're probably right. I mean, even 90's looks are 2 decades old at this point.
Go for it. I’d pretty much quit reading DC in the 90’s. Some of that stuff is fun.
Visionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:31 am

Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:54 pm
For whatever wave of $#!+ this brings me, I just don’t believe that a figure line can survive on nostalgia alone anymore. I don’t have sales or marketing data to back it up, then again, I doubt any of us have that to access. But if nostalgia ran the collecting world, that’s all we’d be getting. Nothing would ever move forward. Hush Batman and New 52 Superman and Darkseid were the tip off.

This is an homage to nostalgia.
No need to over think this line. The Nostalgia aspect is what will draw us collectors in. The cheaper price points will draw in casual shoppers and parents for the kids.
So there is no need to go crazy with modern looks or even obscure classics as long as Todd can keep both sides happy with mostly iconic characters and vehicles at great prices.

If Warner does stick their dirty beak in this line with crappy characters selections that’s where Todd needs to push back and ask for his licensing fees back.
batprofessor
Runs Around in Tights

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:43 am

geoffdude wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:26 pm
aceofknaves wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:42 pm
I’d love to see some of the “unmade” SP figures get a run in this line: especially Man-Bat and a proper Riddler.
These are different scale than OG SP
Doesn’t look like much of a difference to me, unless 1/16" is a dealbreaker:

Rex Mason
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:50 am

OfficialJihad wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:21 pm
4LOTT wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:47 pm
It’s also a question of what the owner of the licence will and will not allow. If Warner doesn’t think it’s in its best interests to have their IPs depicted in outdated 40 year old costumes then Todd needs to abide by that decision. Same as not being able to include guns with the figure. From a similar perspective it would be as if the original Super Powers figures were to have been made to resemble their forty year old golden age counterparts
Exactly! People get so hung up & stuck on the past, when all Warner is trying to do is market & promote their current comics, movies, etc. Nostalgia is great but you have to build for the future.
Right, but we're talking about Super Powers here. It's a line that is using retro packaging, a retro scale, and even making vintage style vehicles. No one is saying every line should be a nostalgia line. But certainly it's fair to expect retro characters in a purposely retro line of figures.
red Ricky
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:37 am

Nostalgia for the future is called Marvel Legends and DC Multiverse.

They are going strong now, and the existence of these retail exclusive nostalgia lines don't take anything away from them. Not even shelf space.

And you don't need sales data to know that there's a market for these figures. Specially when every major toy manufacturer currently has one or two vintage lines in every store. Some are at least 5 waves in by now.

Mattel has MOTU Origins and WWE Retro. Hasbro has a couple of Star Wars and Transformers vintage lines. Playmates has the Classic Turtles, and even McFarlane is already 5 waves into their Batman '66 line, with more vehicles and playsets on the way. So the market exists. People are buying them.

If anything, I'm upset it took DC so long to revive the line. Specially in this day and age when you can go to ebay and just see how many figures from this line still command a pretty penny... not only in the U.S. but around the world.

Besides, none of these lines are going to take the Multiverse's spot as the premiere line for modern DC figures with modern articulation and face printing. It's not going to happen. At best, you'll only see Spin Master complain about McFarlane infringing on their license. At worst, it only lasts a couple of waves and diehard fans like myself finally get to add a couple of new figures to their shelves. Like when Bob the goon and Two-Face came out back in the day.

So unless you are a diehard fan of those McFarlane "page punchers" or just want everything DC to fail... this is not a bad thing. A bad thing is waiting 35 years for Marvel to follow-up on the Secret Wars line and getting "Super-Hero Polly Pocket Megos" instead.

gpmartin414
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:30 am

Really hope these are either available online or not Walmart exclusives. I’m in NYC, and there aren’t any Walmarts here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:58 am

red Ricky wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:37 am
Besides, none of these lines are going to take the Multiverse's spot as the premiere line for modern DC figures with modern articulation and face printing. It's not going to happen. At best, you'll only see Spin Master complain about McFarlane infringing on their license. At worst, it only lasts a couple of waves and diehard fans like myself finally get to add a couple of new figures to their shelves. Like when Bob the goon and Two-Face came out back in the day.
The problem here is that some people are already asking for Multiverse 7” versions of Super Powers characters. And if I remember one thing about DCUC is that Super Powers fans want everything and they want it yesterday. It takes over the entire conversation.

If it were only the DC characters, I wouldn’t care so much. But it includes the super stereotypes and the characters that someone at Kenner designed like Silicon and the Executioner. It includes the Kirby redesigns which didn’t need to be done. Even if Jack himself did ‘em. Then we get to the Super Friends and the LoD. After that, there’s literally no room for anything else. It’s hostage taking because there’s a whole bunch of gatekeeper types who argue about Superman not being the right shade of Carolina blue, or that Grodd has to be brown to match his LoD look. Anybody remember the SDCC Gleek debacle? It’s exhausting and I want nothing to do with it.
Ro-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:06 am

You say all that like it’s a bad thing in a line called Super Powers.
OfficialJihad
HULK SMASH!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:45 am

Rex Mason wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:50 am
Right, but we're talking about Super Powers here. It's a line that is using retro packaging, a retro scale, and even making vintage style vehicles. No one is saying every line should be a nostalgia line. But certainly it's fair to expect retro characters in a purposely retro line of figures.
No, from what I’m seeing on the internet, Facebook & on here is people who want them to remake the entire original Super Powers Collection. It’s a retro line but it’s supposed to be an answer to the hypothetical question of how would today's super heroes look as a Super Powers figure.
red Ricky
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:57 am

Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:58 am
The problem here is that some people are already asking for Multiverse 7” versions of Super Powers characters.
Then take it up with the Multiverse fans in the Multiverse threads. Every single post in this thread has been about getting Super Powers figures in the Super-Powers scale that are faithful to that line. If anything, the main complaint has been that the McFarlane figures are not Super-Powery enough. That quality wise, they are more reminiscent of the ToyBiz Super-Powers.

Besides, if in this day and age you're still getting hot and bothered over someone requesting Aunt Harriet or Apache Chief for the main Multiverse line... then chances are they are only doing it solely to mess with you. So relax. The fact of the matter is that Todd already did Grodd and Cygor, and they didn't sell. One was too small and the other too gappy and diapery. It's time for him to move on. Man-Bat looks like a good start, albeit a little too big for my taste, but eventually he's going to go through some version of the Legion of Doom. But that's 'cause most members of the Legion of Doom are top tier DC Villains in some way, shape or form.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”