DC General Thread

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
User avatar
MagnusPrimal
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: WV
Posts: 4422
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:42 am

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:13 am

PG-Superfan wrote:
geoffdude wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:50 pm
Who still wants Tim any more anyway after what DC did to him?
I applaud them making him bisexual if that's what you're talking about.
See, it bugs me when they take a long-established character and do something like this. Especially when we’ve been privy to their thoughts for years. But that’s just me, I know others like it. But it doesn’t really matter, I dropped DC when Bendis started on Superman and I’m not going back.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PG-Superfan
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1409
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 7:23 am

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:19 am

MagnusPrimal wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:13 am
PG-Superfan wrote:
geoffdude wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:50 pm
Who still wants Tim any more anyway after what DC did to him?
I applaud them making him bisexual if that's what you're talking about.
See, it bugs me when they take a long-established character and do something like this. Especially when we’ve been privy to their thoughts for years. But that’s just me, I know others like it. But it doesn’t really matter, I dropped DC when Bendis started on Superman and I’m not going back.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, I also have beefs with Bendis' Superman. I liked Jon as a kid. Aging him up is messy, 90s X-Men-style stuff.

I also think getting rid of Superman's secret identity was crappy. Every lousy run from the last 25 years ignored, downplayed, or sought to get rid of the secret identity. It's like something DC has had a mad-on about just like the trunks. How much Clark Kent do you see in stinkers like Azzarello's For Tomorrow, Chuck Austen's run, or JMS' Grounded?

And every damned good run on Superman worked with the secret identity as an integral part of the storytelling.

So he came in and broke things. And didn't really do anything worthwhile with the things he broke except to reboot the Legion of Super-Heroes for the umpteenth time (which could have been done without breaking anything) and turn Jor-El into Magneto.

And in the end, nobody cares about his version of the Legion. It's a non-entity. The biggest curveball was pairing Saturn Girl up with Jon and now Jon has a boyfriend.

It's forgettable. And someday soon, I'm confident that Clark Kent will return as a secret identity and the Legion will either go back to comic book limbo or will be largely reset to a more classic version. So in the end, it was a big waste of time with no legacy that interrupted the fantastic Tomasi and Jurgens runs and wasn't as good as the later runs by Johnson and Taylor runs which, while not all-time classics, made lemonade out of the lemons Bendis handed them and will have more lasting legacy.

And to make this toy-related, I would very much like a figure of the Superman Reborn costume from the second half of Jurgens and Tomasi's runs.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 5686
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:53 pm

I think we’re all missing the point that Bendis probably didn’t take it upon himself to age up Jon, take away Clark’s secret identity, or turn Jor El into a war criminal. Someone at DC thought it sounded like a good idea and approved it.

As for the Legion, it sounds like there’s something brewing based on statements by Geoff Johns when the new JSA title was announced. A follow up to one of my favorite LSH stories of all time, Legion of Three Worlds. Dunno if Johns is writing or show-running. But my hope is that when the Legion returns, it’ll be a more traditional lineup. More or less the “adult Legion” from the Lightning Saga.

And as much as I’d love some Legion figures, I want ‘em all. Pick a Legion lineup and stay with it until done. Don’t start if you don’t have a plan to finish. Mon-El is the one exception as a member of the Superman Family.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 5686
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:50 pm

FWIW Dept: DC has three comic panels at NYCC this weekend. Todd has his own panel too. There’s also a bunch of WBD/HBO Max stuff.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 5714
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:18 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:55 pm

Not a fan of bendis. His justice league run was sooooo boring. I’ve loved everything Tynion wrote and I’m really liking Williamson. His Batman run was too short. I’m thinking of checking out his flash run at some point.

I managed to get in an order for Shazam for pickup at WM! We will see if it’s actually Shazam or not.

Also Wallace west showed up last night. Pretty great figure.
aceofknaves
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Location: The Valley, SoCal
Posts: 5547
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:39 am

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:56 pm

User avatar
Ninjak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 4694
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:16 pm

joshsquash729 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:41 am
Was surprised to find a single 30th anniversary BTAS rooftop set at Target today. Just one on the shelf, back near the "collector's section" in electronics. It had been hastily put on top of some other figures- by staff or a customer, I don't know, but I snagged it. Half expected it to be register locked, but it let me check out no problem, and helped me get over the threshhold for Target Circle's $10 promo going on right now. Haven't opened it yet, but even in package it looks great. I know it's not exactly accurate, but I'm still a sucker for anything BTAS.

Same here. Found just one in the "Neca section" at Target a couple of days ago. Wasn't planning on ordering it online, but when I saw it in person I couldn't resist. I too am a sucker for almost anything BTAS related. Especially something pretty cool like this that is also a 30th Anniversary collectible.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 5686
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:40 pm


DC schedule for NYCC.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 5714
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:18 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:50 pm

Well shit, just got the email that Walmart substituted my Shazam for a pp Superman. Not the same thing Walmart. Wish I had been able to get to the store as they had five there this morning.
User avatar
Nik
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 896
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:29 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:13 pm

So, I'm like the only DC fan that likes Bendis? That loves his Legion stories? Man, I forget sometimes how lonely it can be to be a fan of things that nobody else likes. Or vice versa.
User avatar
TheRealSmallville
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 843
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:52 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:37 pm

Tommy Tomorrow wrote:I think we’re all missing the point that Bendis probably didn’t take it upon himself to age up Jon, take away Clark’s secret identity, or turn Jor El into a war criminal. Someone at DC thought it sounded like a good idea and approved it. .
Sal on ComicPop! had someone on his show a couple years back, it was either Scott Snyder or Josh Williamson I can't remember, but they briefly touched on Bendis joining the team. Basically, DiDio gave Bendis carte Blanche to do anything he wanted, which was basically the selling point for Bendis to move over from Marvel. They mentioned that Batman is extremely tightly controlled, with major things needing approval from even Time Warner themselves (this was obviously a while ago), but for Superman there were very few rules in place.

I think Bendis basically got to do whatever and didn't hear the word "no" until Didio was gone. That's how the story seemed to go, though, for what it's worth.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
TheRealSmallville
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 843
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:52 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:38 pm

Nik wrote:So, I'm like the only DC fan that likes Bendis? That loves his Legion stories? Man, I forget sometimes how lonely it can be to be a fan of things that nobody else likes. Or vice versa.
I actually liked a lot of his Superman stuff up until the last year or so of his time. My biggest complaint was mostly just that it's hard to align the two titles & make a timeline of events.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 5686
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:56 pm

TheRealSmallville wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:38 pm
Nik wrote:So, I'm like the only DC fan that likes Bendis? That loves his Legion stories? Man, I forget sometimes how lonely it can be to be a fan of things that nobody else likes. Or vice versa.
I actually liked a lot of his Superman stuff up until the last year or so of his time. My biggest complaint was mostly just that it's hard to align the two titles & make a timeline of events.
Didn’t love him but didn’t hate him either. I rather enjoyed Naomi. Young Justice was fun. Superman was well written. But the plot was the wrong direction. Legion just made me say…huh? He’s not a bad writer, clearly. Just not a good fit for DC.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 5686
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:57 pm

TheRealSmallville wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:37 pm
Tommy Tomorrow wrote:I think we’re all missing the point that Bendis probably didn’t take it upon himself to age up Jon, take away Clark’s secret identity, or turn Jor El into a war criminal. Someone at DC thought it sounded like a good idea and approved it. .
Sal on ComicPop! had someone on his show a couple years back, it was either Scott Snyder or Josh Williamson I can't remember, but they briefly touched on Bendis joining the team. Basically, DiDio gave Bendis carte Blanche to do anything he wanted, which was basically the selling point for Bendis to move over from Marvel. They mentioned that Batman is extremely tightly controlled, with major things needing approval from even Time Warner themselves (this was obviously a while ago), but for Superman there were very few rules in place.

I think Bendis basically got to do whatever and didn't hear the word "no" until Didio was gone. That's how the story seemed to go, though, for what it's worth.
Sounds about right.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 5686
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:26 pm

And FWIW, I’m not 100% sure Bendis is 100% gone from DC. He might be. But if he’s got any new DC projects in the works, it doesn’t make sense to announce them until after Flashpoint Beyond and Dark Crisis wrap up.

I think I vaguely heard something about Green Arrow.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”