DC General Thread

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
yojoebro82
Not Even Supposed To Be Here Today
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:01 pm

Shinigami_PL wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:56 am
Two, there's still DST with Marvel Select. I take umbridge with you not mentioning them.
Yep, edited before I even saw your post.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:27 pm

Let’s look at the other angle.

Can you imagine if Todd did a $350.00 Kickstarter? What it would look like? What it would actually contain?

Bat Cave. Fortress of Solitude. Brainiac Skull ship. Legion of Doom HQ. Hall of Justice. Batman’s tank from DKR. Or a multi pack with eighteen new figures. Might be a good way to get the Legion. Or maybe one of the climactic scenes from Crisis on Infinite Earths. Spectre vs Anti Monitor. Both of them 28” tall.

Sounds like the wheels are coming off at Haslab.
Stormbreaker1
Runs Around in Tights

Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:25 pm

Shinigami_PL wrote:
Would be great if Todd somehow got the Marvel license.
That would be unbelievable.

It would be the 21st Century’s version of the MEGO line of figures.

The “Multiverse’s Greatest Super-Heroes!” collection.

:)
stack32
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:28 pm

I'd love to see McFarlane produce a Spider-Man figure.

I pre-ordered that Batmobeast. I think it looks better without the shell and I'm liking the muddy paint apps. Also, I feel compelled to support it just on principle because of the value.
yojoebro82

Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:29 pm

I said this before but I love the turn around time between a figure being revealed and/or leaked and it actually showing up in stores. I learned about 90's Kyle Rayner on Saturday, now he's at brick n mortar in my area. Hasbro turn around time: 6 months minimum!

I have a guy picking up a Kyle for me now!
BruceKent
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:02 pm

Shinigami_PL wrote:
Two, there's still DST with Marvel Select. I take umbridge with you not mentioning them. It's much smaller of course, with around 150 figures or something, at this point. But at least yhrted a choice and a much better one than Hasbro, if you're looking for more than repaints.

Would be great if Todd somehow got the Marvel license. Would be even better if Diamond could expand theirs.
That Immortal Hulk is the best Hulk I’ve ever owned!
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:25 pm

BruceKent wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:02 pm
Shinigami_PL wrote:
Two, there's still DST with Marvel Select. I take umbridge with you not mentioning them. It's much smaller of course, with around 150 figures or something, at this point. But at least yhrted a choice and a much better one than Hasbro, if you're looking for more than repaints.

Would be great if Todd somehow got the Marvel license. Would be even better if Diamond could expand theirs.
That Immortal Hulk is the best Hulk I’ve ever owned!
For sure. We've had a discussion about this recently in the MS thread, that when their figures turn out good, they're spectacular and some of the best version of those characters on the market. But when they're bad, they're really awful.
seditionary
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:56 pm

In Todd’s own words he wanted one of the big three; dc, marvel, star wars.

I do think he would still want to do all three at some point if he could. I feel like that disney mirrorverse and the new avatar line (even though mattel had the license last?) is probably a bit of a foot in the door to that but also with these huge corps maybe not.

I think Todd is clever with his ego. He wants to show he can do stuff and do it better. Whether he does that is debatable but he certainly also has lcbs and consumers in mind with his business dealings. It always kinda feels like the scrappy little guy.

I think the folks that work for hasbro, legends in particular, are in a tough spot. Theyre the faces of this mega corporation that is about quarterly earnings and nickle and diming.

I buy some hasbro product but it doesn’t feel like I’m getting my money’s worth these days. My life also hasn’t been easy financially for the past few years so having todd and co do their thing, and im a DC guy, has been a godsend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:13 pm

I’m DC guy too. Don’t really wanna see the focus shift to Marvel at this point. I’d like Todd to do another seven or eight years to be honest.

I’ve also no doubt Legends fans wouldn’t stand for a scale change. And I think Star Wars fans would outright hate Todd’s non traditional designs. That’s the point of Star Wars, to have everything look exactly like the movie/TV show.
VictorD10010
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:42 pm

It would be a lot of spider man and venom :D
VictorD10010
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:44 pm

yojoebro82 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:51 am
If this truly is some sort of response to the Haslab Ghost Rider car then I'm all for it. Hasbro has lost a ton of good faith with me this last year.

Unfortunately it can only go so far. Competitors in other markets lure customers by offering a better value, and maybe Todd's figure are a better value, but he's still not offering MARVEL figures. So the Marvel fan' main option is still Hasbro, and unfortunately, in most cases it seems, they are more than willing to let Hasbro jerk them this way and that. As long as they're getting their next D-lister on the umpteenth reused buck with bare bones paint and accessories, or the umpteenth redone A-lister with a purpose-built flaw to keep them from being the "best version ever".

Sill, keep up the good work, Todd.
Mcfaralane has others lines that a ML collector could be interested because of the fodder potential
yojoebro82

Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:11 pm

Tommy Tomorrow wrote:

I’ve also no doubt Legends fans wouldn’t stand for a scale change.
They'd SAY they wouldn't stand for it. At first. But when the line gets enough figures under its belt and more and more figures getting the, "OK, I guess that is pretty cool" response, they'll be won over.

I know a LOT of DC fans here did the exact same thing, right? :)
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:14 pm

Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
And I think Star Wars fans would outright hate Todd’s non traditional designs. That’s the point of Star Wars, to have everything look exactly like the movie/TV show.
That's true but at the same time DC is basically the only like he puts any of his flair into, all of the other game and movie licensed figures are translated accurately. Even the DC movie stuff is, so I don't think SW fans should be worried about that.

And they should be used to scale changes at this point, so hey, would be cool. Or again, Disney should just let DST do their thing instead of slowly releasing 4 figures in probably as many years.
yojoebro82 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:11 pm
Tommy Tomorrow wrote:

I’ve also no doubt Legends fans wouldn’t stand for a scale change.
They'd SAY they wouldn't stand for it. At first. But when the line gets enough figures under its belt and more and more figures getting the, "OK, I guess that is pretty cool" response, they'll be won over.

I know a LOT of DC fans here did the exact same thing, right? :)
the added benefit here is that there wouldn't be that awkward growing up phase the DC figs had 3 years ago. At this point Todd has everything figured out really well. And with so many people saying that their Marvel collections are almost finished, switching to a new scale really wouldn't be a bad thing. Or just let DST do it, grodd dang it.
VictorD10010
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:49 pm

You can always buy the bigger characters only
Diddy310
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:56 pm

I wish all gold labels were this easy...found the full standing display at Target with just one Black Adam missing and got one of him and Kyle.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”