McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:21 am

For the price point, McFarlane has the best stuff at general retail. Comic based or otherwise. Certainly at the 5-8” scale.

For me, the eventual Grundy needs to be deluxe, not a CtB. He needs to be huge with a great sculpt. Articulation is secondary to me in this case.
VictorD10010
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:21 am

If you can give Spiderman type articulation to a figure,why not?

Even if the character it's not acrobatic
drkknght64
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:33 am

Ninjak wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:59 pm
Nik wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:00 pm
Why is it so important for a figure to do the splits? Is that a common pose for any character besides JCVD? I couldn't give a crap if my toys can do the splits, as I don't have any reason to make them do the splits.

You may not care, but the people who do more than just display their figures on a shelf care a lot about decent leg articulation.

This is why you want your action figures to be able to do the “splits”. It’s not really to have them do cheerleader poses. It’s to be able to get them in all sorts of dynamic action and fight poses.

For example. Here is the Marvel Legends Shang-Chi “Master of Kung-Fu” doing a side-kick. A pretty standard martial arts move. But since the figure can’t even come close to doing a split, you can only get his leg up to about waist level, and that’s only if you have the other figure crouching. It’s extremely frustrating.

The only way to have Shang-Chi (you know the “Master” of Kung-Fu) kick an enemy in the head is to have him do a combination front-kick / side-sick, which looks a little goofy and awkward. You’d think of all characters Hasbro would give Shang-Chi decent leg articulation. (And Spider-Man, and Daredevil, and any other agile characters).

By comparison, here is the McFarlane 3-Jokers Batman doing a side kick pose. Nuff said.

Hmm, I think ole Shang-Chi does a pretty good job of a side kick pose.
I don't know though since I don't pose my figures that much. :wink:

Oh, I'm one of those guys who has stopped collecting McFarlane's DC line except for the occasional mega figure.
I've took back for refund around $150 worth and I got about $100 more to return next weekend.
I'm not impressed and he messed up the scale for me of two of my favorite DC Characters.
I slowed down on DCD and eventually quit and the same for DCUC around wave 15 over scale issues so McFarlane is no different.
Ninjak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:57 am

Batman Hush figure with "fixed" forearms and elbows. I removed the black paint from the elbow joints and then painted the tops of the black gloves gray.

dHunter333
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:42 am

Ninjak wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:57 am
Batman Hush figure with "fixed" forearms and elbows. I removed the black paint from the elbow joints and then painted the tops of the black gloves gray.

Damn near exactly how he's supposed to be, except it shouldn't be a straight line. It looks fantastic, exactly how it SHOULD look, this is even better. Minus the weird expression. lol
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:44 am

I'm wondering if all this trashing of MickDicks would mostly die out if these figures were in scale with ML.
PJ
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:17 am

My only gripes with McFarlane is the soft diapers and ankles articulation design on them.
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:38 am

What's wrong with those diapers? Them being soft improves a figure's articulation.
PJ
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:48 am

Shinigami_PL wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:38 am
What's wrong with those diapers? Them being soft improves a figure's articulation.
I just don’t like them. I also don’t like the drop down hips design on Mafex and GI Joe Classifieds. I would rather them have ML type crotch piece/hips or Mattel DCUC. With the soft diaper I fear they’ll rip or dry out/disintegrate over time. And with drop down hips I feel the figure becomes more fragile and more likely to break if it falls off the shelf.
Xavion2004
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:49 pm

Shinigami_PL wrote:
I'm wondering if all this trashing of MickDicks would mostly die out if these figures were in scale with ML.
I doubt it. As someone who has just now started to appreciate the line after being a critic for the last two and a half years, I think these figures have always had an uphill battle to win many collectors over.

The main issues as I see them are a bias against McFarlane based on his previous body of work (check), the conscious or unconscious desire for the line to be the DC version of Marvel Legends (check), and unfamiliarity with contemporary DC comics (check).

You really have to put all of that baggage aside, step back, and look at the big picture to truly appreciate what McFarlane is doing. He was right when a lot of us were wrong.
Xavion2004
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:38 pm

By the way, if you’re looking to bolster the female ranks of your DC Multiverse collection and are willing to stretch your imagination a bit, She-Spawn here is a fantastic figure and this is a great price:

Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:21 pm

Xavion2004 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:49 pm
Shinigami_PL wrote:
I doubt it. As someone who has just now started to appreciate the line after being a critic for the last two and a half years, I think these figures have always had an uphill battle to win many collectors over.

The main issues as I see them are a bias against McFarlane based on his previous body of work (check), the conscious or unconscious desire for the line to be the DC version of Marvel Legends (check), and unfamiliarity with contemporary DC comics (check).

You really have to put all of that baggage aside, step back, and look at the big picture to truly appreciate what McFarlane is doing. He was right when a lot of us were wrong.
Well I did like much of Todd’s old output, and I am very familiar with the current comic book DCU. I have put aside a good chunk of my baggage and prejudices here. Such as scale.

But here’s the thing and it’s not on Todd. I’ll get that out of the way. What I want, what I’ve always wanted, is the DC equivalent of Marvel Legends. That’s it. Very simple. Yet over the last 20 years that hasn’t happened. And it’s not going to now. My expectations are realistic. DCD wasn’t the answer, nor was Mattel who held the license for seventeen years. DCUC was as close as we’ve gotten and something like that won’t come around again anytime soon. Between a change in philosophy at DC and the combination of greed, apathy, and incompetence at Mattel, any prospect of a Marvel Legends type line for DC was squashed.

So here we are. Here I am, picking and choosing and finding things that I genuinely enjoy about Todd’s DC stuff. This has been a lot of fun after the initial wave. But it doesn’t stop me from wanting a DC line that is wide, deep, and has 20 years of longevity.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:36 pm

Tommy, we’ve discussed this before (seems like at least once every year of the line) wide and deep doesn’t happen over night. A 20 year line takes…let me check my math here…20 years.

I boldly predicted Todd would be hitting 300 figures by the end of year 3. And he’s on his way there. That’s the point at which you can really judge the line.

Now I do agree this line isn’t going to be the ML equivalent. It’s going to be heavy on the variants (multiple releases of Batman, red hood, joker), but that’s what you gotta do to generate sales. Todd has had an uphill battle with his DC line and the easiest way to climb the mountaintop is to generate sales from the Bat.

ML is established enough that they can pump out C listers and just take for granted the sales will be there. DC needs a heavy dose of Batman and slowly mixing other characters in. But it’s getting there. This year alone has brought a lot of core characters. It’s also possibly showing us some truly classic looks.

For a comic only “classic” collector it’s a slow burn for sure. There’s video game, movie, animated all over the place. It takes time, but it’s looking more diverse than the first year.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:39 pm

Make no mistake, this isn’t on Todd and I don’t expect things overnight. The DC license has been neglected for decades. Todd was starting from scratch. You can’t change the past and I accept that. You can however, attempt to rewrite it and apparently Neitlich is trying via YouTube. Won’t work, too many of us were there.

Multiverse is what it is. I’ve accepted it. Im good with it. But that doesn’t stop me from wishing things had gone another way back in 2011 when DCUC was shut down. Reportedly not by Mattel, but by DC itself. Objecting to the word “Classic” as part of the marketing.

I dunno what to expect in year four. New owners for DC. Supposedly new management taking DC away from Pam Lifford. And what might be a massive change in the status quo of the comic book DCU via Dark Crisis, can add up to some potential changes for the way Todd does things. Way too soon to tell. I expect we get a glimpse at FanDome.
aceofknaves
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:51 pm

More armchair prognostication in this thread than a strip-mall fortune teller.

I’m definitely ready for some new reveals, and also for that sweet 7inch Page Puncher Batman.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”