McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
TheGrammatizator
I wish I had super powers
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Wed May 25, 2022 12:47 pm

Love the Superwoman, I'm not a female figure collector but this looks good.

As for the rest in the wave, gotta be an Owlman but the other I'm not sure on the other. Personally I'd love a left field pick, maybe another Deathstorm?
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Wed May 25, 2022 3:24 pm

Kyle raynar is a day one purchase but the rest are wait for a sale from that wave. It’ll happen, it always does.

Carrie Kelly is also half off on Amazon. I’ll be picking her up now.
Mysticmanjrf1
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed May 25, 2022 5:43 pm

maverick10126 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:15 am
After seeing all the crazy sales with dorkside a while back I’ve split my figures into must haves right away and I’ll try to catch it on sale.

All the recently released figures that GameStop is carrying im holding off on. For one some are going for $25 and two I feel pretty confident that by the time other retailers get these figures the price will drop shortly after.

There’s still plenty of figures I’ll buy day one, but right now the stuff coming out just happens to be lesser wants.

Feel the same way. Most of these even go on sale before my preorder is filled at BBTS. I'm not sure it's good for the line overall even though it's great for the customer...but no use paying retail for at least 50% of these. If it's not an exclusive, I'm probably going to wait.

Sales did nudge me to purchase a few 3J figures I never would have gotten, so I guess that helps.

Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:40 am
In the Rebirth era, Johns was co-President of DC and chief creative officer. When Diane Nelson resigned, Johns was forced to resign as well. They were a team, she was the business end, he was the creative end. But he was the one behind Rebirth. With Johns out of the top spot, DiDio outranked him again. And Rebirth, along with Three Jokers and Doomsday Clock began to unwind. Geoff still had a lot on his plate, but he wasn’t the DC shot caller anymore. If he could’ve kept on shepherding Rebirth, I think we’d be in a very different place in the DCU right now.

No disagreements, but I think Johns is a better CCO than writer at this stage. Early on in Rebirth the continuity felt very important and the stories were mostly intertwined. I can understand why other writers may have been frustrated by the micromanagement of continuity...but they were some fun stories to read.

The lack of reps as a writer has hurt him, and I think his messaging has been a bit too "on the nose" lately.
yojoebro82
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 25, 2022 6:31 pm

Mysticmanjrf1 wrote:
Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
In the Rebirth era, Johns was co-President of DC and chief creative officer. When Diane Nelson resigned, Johns was forced to resign as well. They were a team, she was the business end, he was the creative end. But he was the one behind Rebirth. With Johns out of the top spot, DiDio outranked him again. And Rebirth, along with Three Jokers and Doomsday Clock began to unwind. Geoff still had a lot on his plate, but he wasn’t the DC shot caller anymore. If he could’ve kept on shepherding Rebirth, I think we’d be in a very different place in the DCU right now.

No disagreements, but I think Johns is a better CCO than writer at this stage. Early on in Rebirth the continuity felt very important and the stories were mostly intertwined. I can understand why other writers may have been frustrated by the micromanagement of continuity...but they were some fun stories to read.

The lack of reps as a writer has hurt him, and I think his messaging has been a bit too "on the nose" lately.
I like Jeof Johns and Rebirth in general, but I'm loosing more and more interest in modern DC every day. The comics, and the toys. For the simple reason that both are nothing but Batman, Batman, Batman. And I like Batman just like everyone else, but this over saturation is a turn off.
Meauxses
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 25, 2022 9:02 pm

Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
supreme-d wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 10:46 pm
secondwhiteline wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:24 pm
Oh wow, they fired all the others?
Exactly. Geoff Johns is one of the worst comic writers today. He would be bad because his silver age retcons ruin characters and classic storylines. But he’s the worst because he’s so prolific with his garbage.

How he’s still regarded as anything more than middling after Three Jokers and Doomsday Clock is beyond me. It’s the same dumb trick for everything he’s written since Rebirth.
Disagree completely. I think it’s safe to say that when Dandy Dan DiDio found himself in charge once more, his years long rivalry with Johns swung back his way. Johns reversed New 52 so DiDio torpedoed Doomsday Clock and Three Jokers. He settled the score. I dare say that if Rebirth had played out while Johns was still President of DC, we’d be looking at an entirely different DCU post Doomsday Clock. Doomsday Clock itself would’ve ended very differently.
Doomsday Clock #10 and #12 fixed everything by providing a simple yet elegant explanation for continuity and the Multiverse and undoing the damage done by the New 52. It’s also clear that Manhattan was a not-at-all subtle stand-in for DiDio. Had he not returned, my understanding is that Johns would have provided the blueprint for the DCU going forward (as he did with Rebirth) and would have written either a JSA or LoSH book or even both.

I’m not a fan of Scott Snyder or Tom King at all, but I have no problem with them on BL or out of continuity books. Waid, Tomasi, Venditti and Johns would get my money again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Meauxses
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 25, 2022 9:08 pm

For those who hate Johns, look up Patrick Gerard. He was working at DC with Loeb just as DiDio came aboard. He makes it clear that the dark and nihilistic garbage like Identity Crisis and Infinute Crisis was all DiDio and later, failed Marvel EIC Bob Harras. Johns has been hamstrung by DiDio from the beginning. He had to kill off characters in IC based on DiDio’s hit list. DiDio is a horrible person with serious mental issues and should have no association with superheroes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maverick10126

Wed May 25, 2022 10:06 pm

Todd needs to drop some more reveals on us. We are getting off topic.

But I’ll add an asterisk to my liking Scott Snyder. I loved his Batman run…liked Metal….thought his justice league run was okay and felt that death metal was weak. So it’s kinda gone down hill the longer he’s written.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Wed May 25, 2022 10:58 pm

maverick10126 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 3:24 pm
Kyle raynar is a day one purchase but the rest are wait for a sale from that wave. It’ll happen, it always does.
I’m trying to think of a day one preorder for myself. The last two I cancelled because I found them before they shipped to me. And they were two “must haves” for me. Ultraman and Wally West.

I suppose I would for Captain Atom or Orion, maybe Jack Knight/Starman. A personal favorite that we’re not getting another shot at. But these are so easy to find, including store exclusives, that I hesitate to preorder.
maverick10126

Wed May 25, 2022 11:13 pm

I’ve cancelled all my McFarlane pre-orders because I’ll pretty much find everything before an order ships. The only exceptions are Walmart exclusives. I’ll keep those pre-ordered.

So a “day one purchase” is the day I find it in stores. There’s a fair amount right now that I’m waiting for a sale on though. Godspeed, Jonathan Kent, Red Robin are all ones I’m waiting for sales on.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Wed May 25, 2022 11:24 pm

Mysticmanjrf1 wrote:
maverick10126 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:15 am
After seeing all the crazy sales with dorkside a while back I’ve split my figures into must haves right away and I’ll try to catch it on sale.

All the recently released figures that GameStop is carrying im holding off on. For one some are going for $25 and two I feel pretty confident that by the time other retailers get these figures the price will drop shortly after.

There’s still plenty of figures I’ll buy day one, but right now the stuff coming out just happens to be lesser wants.
Feel the same way. Most of these even go on sale before my preorder is filled at BBTS. I'm not sure it's good for the line overall even though it's great for the customer...but no use paying retail for at least 50% of these. If it's not an exclusive, I'm probably going to wait.

Sales did nudge me to purchase a few 3J figures I never would have gotten, so I guess that helps.
Tommy Tomorrow wrote:

Early on in Rebirth, they were weaving a tapestry of several books into a much bigger story. It was ambitious and ultimately fell apart. But it woulda been a great read if it came together. I kinda think everyone was excited to be in on it. I really wanted to know why Tim Drake needed to be “removed from the board”. Lots of unanswered questions. I loved the Tynion run on Detective. Hey Todd, you wanna complete a team, there it is.

I don’t see Johns as a typical Hollywood guy. I really think he just wants to entertain. I love Stargirl as much as I hate the rest of the CW DC stuff. Superman is a push for me. For a guy who uses social media so sparingly, he stays in the shit a lot.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Thu May 26, 2022 12:18 am

Meauxses wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:02 pm
Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
supreme-d wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 10:46 pm
Exactly. Geoff Johns is one of the worst comic writers today. He would be bad because his silver age retcons ruin characters and classic storylines. But he’s the worst because he’s so prolific with his garbage.

How he’s still regarded as anything more than middling after Three Jokers and Doomsday Clock is beyond me. It’s the same dumb trick for everything he’s written since Rebirth.
Disagree completely. I think it’s safe to say that when Dandy Dan DiDio found himself in charge once more, his years long rivalry with Johns swung back his way. Johns reversed New 52 so DiDio torpedoed Doomsday Clock and Three Jokers. He settled the score. I dare say that if Rebirth had played out while Johns was still President of DC, we’d be looking at an entirely different DCU post Doomsday Clock. Doomsday Clock itself would’ve ended very differently.
Doomsday Clock #10 and #12 fixed everything by providing a simple yet elegant explanation for continuity and the Multiverse and undoing the damage done by the New 52. It’s also clear that Manhattan was a not-at-all subtle stand-in for DiDio. Had he not returned, my understanding is that Johns would have provided the blueprint for the DCU going forward (as he did with Rebirth) and would have written either a JSA or LoSH book or even both.

I’m not a fan of Scott Snyder or Tom King at all, but I have no problem with them on BL or out of continuity books. Waid, Tomasi, Venditti and Johns would get my money again.
I’m still pissed we’ll never see the the Johns/Hitch JSA. Rumor is, a JSA comic is coming spinning out of Flashpoint Beyond.

As far as I’m concerned, continuity is fixed. Death Metal, Doomsday Clock, and Generations, to one degree or another fixed it all. Between the Multiverse and Hypertime, it’s covered. So now, I just buy what I enjoy, continuity be damned.

That said, characters seem to be the focus of both Dark Crisis and Flashpoint Beyond. What the DCU looks like after these parallel events finish up remains to be seen. I think both series are setting up a lot of spin offs. 2023 will be interesting.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Thu May 26, 2022 12:21 am

Meauxses wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 9:08 pm
For those who hate Johns, look up Patrick Gerard. He was working at DC with Loeb just as DiDio came aboard. He makes it clear that the dark and nihilistic garbage like Identity Crisis and Infinute Crisis was all DiDio and later, failed Marvel EIC Bob Harras. Johns has been hamstrung by DiDio from the beginning. He had to kill off characters in IC based on DiDio’s hit list. DiDio is a horrible person with serious mental issues and should have no association with superheroes.
DiDio’s hit list included some of DC’s most popular characters. For the thinnest of reasons. He belongs with Frank Miller.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Thu May 26, 2022 12:22 am

maverick10126 wrote:
I’ve cancelled all my McFarlane pre-orders because I’ll pretty much find everything before an order ships. The only exceptions are Walmart exclusives. I’ll keep those pre-ordered.

So a “day one purchase” is the day I find it in stores. There’s a fair amount right now that I’m waiting for a sale on though. Godspeed, Jonathan Kent, Red Robin are all ones I’m waiting for sales on.

Godspeed is really good.
maverick10126

Thu May 26, 2022 1:42 am

Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
maverick10126 wrote:

Godspeed is really good.
I’ll own him eventually. But I gotta cut costs where I can if I want to keep going.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Thu May 26, 2022 2:09 am

maverick10126 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:42 am
Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
maverick10126 wrote:

Godspeed is really good.
I’ll own him eventually. But I gotta cut costs where I can if I want to keep going.
This is still the only line I collect. And I’m still dug in on comic only figures. I have been picking up a few variants and redundancies though. Suit of Sorrows Azrael was too good to pass on when I saw him hanging at Wally’s. Picked up a loose EW Wonder Woman and she’s great. I’ll probably grab classic Martian Manhunter too.

Best recent purchase however is Wally West. Best figure in months and my favorite so far in this line after nearly two and a half years.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”