McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
secondwhiteline
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse General Thread

Tue May 24, 2022 7:27 pm

maverick10126 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 5:27 pm
Yeah the bicep cuts aren’t great but everything else looks good. Great face sculpt. I really hope they find a way to release the full team.
Yeah, good facial expression that radiates villain smugness, good texture on the outfit, seems like they got the body type right although it's a little hard to tell from the shot. Seems like a solid figure.

With this kind of face sculpting, I'm going to need a classic witchy Enchantress here.
supreme-d
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Tue May 24, 2022 10:46 pm

secondwhiteline wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:24 pm
Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 5:58 pm
Right. Johns is still the best writer DC has.
Oh wow, they fired all the others?
Exactly. Geoff Johns is one of the worst comic writers today. He would be bad because his silver age retcons ruin characters and classic storylines. But he’s the worst because he’s so prolific with his garbage.

How he’s still regarded as anything more than middling after Three Jokers and Doomsday Clock is beyond me. It’s the same dumb trick for everything he’s written since Rebirth.
Nik
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Target has a 50% off sale, I saw some of the DKR wave and the Frost King wave up there for 12.49 each.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Tue May 24, 2022 11:45 pm

supreme-d wrote:
secondwhiteline wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:24 pm
Tommy Tomorrow wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 5:58 pm
Right. Johns is still the best writer DC has.
Oh wow, they fired all the others?
Exactly. Geoff Johns is one of the worst comic writers today. He would be bad because his silver age retcons ruin characters and classic storylines. But he’s the worst because he’s so prolific with his garbage.

How he’s still regarded as anything more than middling after Three Jokers and Doomsday Clock is beyond me. It’s the same dumb trick for everything he’s written since Rebirth.
Disagree completely. I think it’s safe to say that when Dandy Dan DiDio found himself in charge once more, his years long rivalry with Johns swung back his way. Johns reversed New 52 so DiDio torpedoed Doomsday Clock and Three Jokers. He settled the score. I dare say that if Rebirth had played out while Johns was still President of DC, we’d be looking at an entirely different DCU post Doomsday Clock. Doomsday Clock itself would’ve ended very differently.
MollyMillions
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 25, 2022 1:02 am

When is this wave due? I've always loved the CSA in any variation.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Wed May 25, 2022 1:09 am

Personally, I feel like Johns stuff ranges from good to not so good. But never great. I dunno, I haven’t read all of his stuff but whenever I do my impression is “solid.” But there is a lot of value in being above average if never great. I feel confident enough in him that I feel like I’ll like his stuff enough.

I’ve honestly been impressed with Williamson at DC currently.

Tom king just didn’t do it for me. His Batman run just wasn’t to my liking.

I loved Scott Snyder’s stuff. Tynion was good.

Bendis on JL was awful.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Wed May 25, 2022 2:38 am

To know how good Johns really is, you need to read JSA. Full stop. His Teen Titans is pretty great too. And I’ve got a friend who absolutely raves over Johns’ Flash run. I’ll get to it one day. A shorter run would be his relatively recent Shazam title. Really, really good. But read the origin TPB first.

I think Snyder is better when he can focus on one character. I almost think he couldn’t see the forest for all the damn trees in the run up to Death Metal. In some ways, I think Tynion has passed Snyder. Just my opinion. I’ve also enjoyed Bendis stuff for the most part, but he was never a good fit at DC.

Someone who is incredibly underrated is Greg Rucka. Never thought much of him myself until I read Final Crisis: Revelations a few months back. Out-effing-standing.
aceofknaves
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 25, 2022 2:39 am

I mean I think we can all agree that Bendis sucks. This could be a real coming together point for this thread.

OK, so:
-Ultraman
-Superwoman
-??
-???

So pretty much a lock for Power Ring and Johnny Quick, right? With Owlman as a stand-alone? And maaaaybe a Gold Label Deathstorm in CS style?
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Wed May 25, 2022 2:46 am

Honestly I’m hoping Johnny is a standalone so we can get an Atomica pack- in.
Ninjak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 25, 2022 3:58 am

Nik wrote:
Target has a 50% off sale, I saw some of the DKR wave and the Frost King wave up there for 12.49 each.

Target does have a pretty good sale going for several McFarlane DC figures. But man, it actually kind of hurts to see figures like The Demon, Blight, Clown Joker and unmasked Batwoman Beyond, etc. that you paid $20-$25 for a few months ago on sale now for $8-$9.

Not to mention figures like 3-Jokers Batman going for $17.99, and DKR Robin and Frost King Green Lantern for $12.49.

Almost makes you feel like a sucker for being a loyal customer and buying things when they first come out.
Mysticmanjrf1
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Wed May 25, 2022 4:26 am

Johns is one of my all time favorite writers, but I think the responsibilities beyond comic writing have hurt the quality of his books. Whatever the reason, I think his latest stories have been missing the mark.

Love his Wally Flash run...GL stories from 2005-2009...Teen Titans with Tim Drake...in the mid-late 2000s he was knocking every story out of the park. You could tell how much he understood the characters.

I also thought he did a very good job with Rebirth in terms of how it affected overall continuity. The Rebirth book that brought back Wally West was Johns' last great story, and in general I thought the quality of DC books was pretty good from 2016-2017. They couldn't stick the landing with Rebirth, things got whacky with Metal, and much of Johns' work since has been subpar IMO.
Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 25, 2022 4:53 am

Ninjak wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 3:58 am
Nik wrote:

Target does have a pretty good sale going for several McFarlane DC figures. But man, it actually kind of hurts to see figures like The Demon, Blight, Clown Joker and unmasked Batwoman Beyond, etc. that you paid $20-$25 for a few months ago on sale now for $8-$9.

Not to mention figures like 3-Jokers Batman going for $17.99, and DKR Robin and Frost King Green Lantern for $12.49.

Almost makes you feel like a sucker for being a loyal customer and buying things when they first come out.
This is why the only things I try to pay full price for with this line are mainline characters who are first time in the line and some gold label. All these variants, evil versions, unmasked versions and what not just drop like a brick in price.

After the third wave of dirt cheap clearance prices on stuff I paid full price for, it’s worth just waiting. Still got burned on Carrie Kelley but I wanted the horse asap.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Wed May 25, 2022 6:15 am

After seeing all the crazy sales with dorkside a while back I’ve split my figures into must haves right away and I’ll try to catch it on sale.

All the recently released figures that GameStop is carrying im holding off on. For one some are going for $25 and two I feel pretty confident that by the time other retailers get these figures the price will drop shortly after.

There’s still plenty of figures I’ll buy day one, but right now the stuff coming out just happens to be lesser wants.
Roufuss
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Wed May 25, 2022 7:08 am

Yea, anything that is a core character, like Aquaman, Rebirth Batman, Hal Jordan, that sort of thing I’ll grab ASAP.

The new to plastic or figures we barely get, like Swamp Thing, Grifter, Godspeed, and Rebirth Wally West are Day 1 for me.

Anything that is a head swap, XX but evil or Jokerized, a costume they wore for like 3 issues, or a vehicle is a wait for clearance.

Seeing every single BAF wave crater in price makes me want to wait on all BAF stuff, but damn if I don’t want Atrocitus real bad to break my own rules.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Wed May 25, 2022 11:40 am

Mysticmanjrf1 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 4:26 am
Johns is one of my all time favorite writers, but I think the responsibilities beyond comic writing have hurt the quality of his books. Whatever the reason, I think his latest stories have been missing the mark.

Love his Wally Flash run...GL stories from 2005-2009...Teen Titans with Tim Drake...in the mid-late 2000s he was knocking every story out of the park. You could tell how much he understood the characters.

I also thought he did a very good job with Rebirth in terms of how it affected overall continuity. The Rebirth book that brought back Wally West was Johns' last great story, and in general I thought the quality of DC books was pretty good from 2016-2017. They couldn't stick the landing with Rebirth, things got whacky with Metal, and much of Johns' work since has been subpar IMO.
In the Rebirth era, Johns was co-President of DC and chief creative officer. When Diane Nelson resigned, Johns was forced to resign as well. They were a team, she was the business end, he was the creative end. But he was the one behind Rebirth. With Johns out of the top spot, DiDio outranked him again. And Rebirth, along with Three Jokers and Doomsday Clock began to unwind. Geoff still had a lot on his plate, but he wasn’t the DC shot caller anymore. If he could’ve kept on shepherding Rebirth, I think we’d be in a very different place in the DCU right now.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”