McFarlane DC Multiverse - Dark Knight Returns - Build-a-Horse Wave

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
NEW BATMAN
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

McFarlane DC Multiverse - Dark Knight Returns - Build-a-Horse Wave

Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:27 am

I think it’s finally time to give these their own thread

The latest build-a- figure wave is now live at all online retailers for a January 2022 release.

Batman

Robin

Superman

Joker
MarvelElite
Runs Around in Tights

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse - Dark Knight Returns - Build-a-Horse Wave

Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:29 am

BBTS email has this listed as wave 1.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?

Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:32 am

If the blues from AC1000, Rebirth and this one all match…could be some cool kitbash possibilities. But they won’t…just as the greys from the Batman’s have yet to match.

If they did I’d consider lower body from this figure, AC1000 upper body, rebirth arms.
Ninjak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:35 am

Dorkside has all of these up as well.
kboe1313
Super Poseable

Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:36 am

Batman has thigh cut
bananaman
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:41 am

I feel a little strange but the horse makes this my most eagerly awaited wave yet. I have gone from DKR fatigue to DKR absolute anticipation.

Superman needs a russian nuke accessory. I may have to source one of those.....

Carries legs could use some work.

Joker is different enough from the mattel version but I do not think better-Mattel did a good job on that figure in my opinion.

The Batman riding his horse though, will make a superb center piece to any DKR display.
drkknght64
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:49 am

Preordered the set of four from BBTS and the single four from Amazon. I also preordered a second Superman off both to use for a bigger Bizarro and whoever else I can think of, lol.
Rayworld
Avengers Assemble

Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:53 am

Pre-ordered the set as i also want the horse but dangit i wish Superman didnt have the side eye.
allfigurative
Avengers Assemble

Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:09 am

I would like to know why all the companies who have made articulated horses lately have decided that articulated shoulders aren't necessary. Maybe they stand upright better, but it really bothers me. *sigh*

I'm curious to see how this horse compares size-wise to the Mythic Legions horse. Robin is the only figure in this wave I might be interested in, but I may try and track down the rest of the horse pieces loose, or on clearance.
Kenobi
Runs Around in Tights

Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:33 am

Batman looks like a McFarlane FOTY candidate. Robin looks way better here than in the promo images. Superman head sculpt is still terrible unfortunately and side eyes. Hopefully someone does a custom sculpt to purchase. Joker figure is way worse. Pants don’t even match the suit. Suit is textured instead of smooth. They butchered this figure. You can’t defend it. Figures from the DKR should be comic accurate and this one is far far from it, just like that Armored Batman.

Just odd how they hit a home run on Batman/Robin/Horse but whiff so bad on Joker/Superman. Real shame.
os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:00 am

I was gonna go all in on these just for the horse mainly, but from the first promo pic Batman looked decent.

Now that we can see him in high res.....I'm afraid I'm changing my tune. He's OK. He's not great. I guess he's $24.99 OK if you don't already have a Frank Miller Dark Knight figure.

I honestly think the 2004 DC Direct figure has a better sculpt, even though it's a brick. I loved all those wrinkles and creases sculpted into that one. This one just looks too bland, and the head looks way off model. It's obviously better than Mattel's awful version on a He-Man body, but I'm trying to cut down on my consooming, not increase it. Buying A figure I think is just OK, plus three figures I think are flat out terrible, just to get a somewhat generic horse that I'd most likely use with the Mezco or MAFEX figure anyway? This is where people realize "I have a problem and I'm admitting it and getting help."

If Dorkside or anyone else sells the horse on its own, I won't be strong enough to resist. But I AM resisting buying the set.

I remember when McFarlane Toys pretty much changed the collecting landscape with their sculpts and paints. (Articulation was never their bag.) I guess that really was a long time ago and things have changed. Most of those artists went to different companies. I just feel bad looking at a figure like their Joker here and thinking "These were the guys that made Movie Maniacs?? All those amazing Spawn figures?? What happened?"
jokerjester
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:04 am

At first glance I thought Batman would come with "Bat Plug" wink wink
spinc
Avengers Assemble

Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:24 am

BATMAN HAS FISTS.

I REPEAT. BATMAN COMES WITH FISTS. AND THIGH CUTS.

Man Todd really did this figure justice. And with the horse... hmm hmm *chef's kiss*
os189
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:15 pm

Joker, Robin, and Superman just look bad. They've all been done better by different companies at various price points.

At first glance I thought Batman was OK, but the more I see him the more "off" he looks. His face is too youthful, and the lips are really exaggerated as if they were inspired by the cover of issue 2 when Batman is all beat up.

But the proportions of the body and limbs look off, too. I don't mean anatomically; I mean compared to Frank's art. It doesn't seem to match any panel I can think of and I've read the book a thousand times.

I think I know the problem....it looks like a copy of a copy. It looks like it's based off the Prime 1 statues which are based off of tribute covers from Dark Knight III. We're getting interpretations upon interpretations and it ended up looking very far from the source material, at least in my mind.

Like I said before, if you don't have a Frank Miller Batman, then this will do. And if you want one and are willing to splurge, you can't beat the MAFEX in my opinion. Mezco is great too, but if you don't have that one by now, I'm guessing you probably never will unless you realllllllly wanna spend some dough.
Magnuz
Tyrant

Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:57 pm

I think its a bit excessive to say they look bad. Maybe they don't meet your ideal look or standard, but I also think its ridiculous to compare them to figures that cost more than this entire wave combined.

I sold my mezco batman because despite how nice he was he also had issues and I never really liked his head sculpts. I considered going with mafex but paying 100+ per figure on a line is just too much for an average collector like myself. I have some of the mattel ones but I hate the motu bodies.

These are a God damn masterpiece in comparison. No they are not perfect sculptural recreations of the art, they are as with all of Todd's stuff somewhat interpreted but the look is still clear as day. Show these to any comic fan and they instantly know they are dkr figures.

They have good articulation, nice sculpt work, and you get a great set from the book including a full God damn horse for $100 which is a steal compared to one mafex.

So yeah I'm elated to see them and I hope for a wave two, bring on mutant leader, and variant batmans I'm all in.

Dkr is my favorite batman story of all time, I know its not for everyone but it was a big deal for me when I first read it and I still love it, and I think as a fan of that book that these look amazing.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”