McFarlane DC Direct Statues & Figures

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
Magnuz
Tyrant
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes

Re: The Revival of DC Collectibles

Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:29 pm

I think anyone expecting figures, especially continuations of DCD's figures like essentials or BTAS may be a little unrealistic and hopeful.

The implication i get from the article is he's just offering to help produce and distribute the DCD product lines that he would benefit from, i.e. statues/busts/props. Its no benefit to todd to release DCD toys when he's making toy lines.

Why would he bring back essentials when he's got multiverse, it would cannibalize his sales. Same for BATS when he's done animated figures in his own line, and has shown with other licenses his willingness to do alternate scales and articulation schemes to accommodate different styles.

I don't see toys coming from this, and DCD's direction towards the end was getting away from toys and focusing on their premium collectibles. Also don't assume solicited figures means figures ready to ship. DCD solicited figures for preorder and produced to order, so solicited figures that got pulled never got produced. Don't know what factories even had those tools and molds, or if todd would even have access to them.
ditko
Thread Killer

Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:52 pm

I could LOVE this, love what Todd is doing now. The fact my top collecting priority has steadily shifted to Todd from Transformers is about the strongest compliment I can make. As long as I can still stroll into Target or Walmart and get my DC Multiverse figures with his added details and such then I am thrilled. This is an extra piece, gravy if you will, I wonder what it could mean figure wise?

I still have "Death and Return of Superman" figures atop my list of wants so maybe classic stuff like that?? (I still think that would crush it at regular retail however)
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:00 pm

TheRealSmallville wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:49 pm
Tommy Tomorrow wrote:So after 24 hours to digest, here’s my not so hot take:

Remember that I’m a life long comic fan. A DC fan since the 80’s. Don’t buy props, busts, or statues. Not that that stuff shouldn’t be made, I’m just not buying it. I only buy comic accurate figures and only DC/McFarlane at this point in time. I also firmly believe that come 2022, Todd will shift the main retail line into Infinite Frontier. I base this on what happened at both Mattel and DCD in 2012 and 2017 after New 52 and Rebirth.

So what’s the take?

Retro. But not exactly. Along with props, busts, and statues, as well as continuing BTAS, Todd should revisit (and expand) DCD’s greatest hits. Not reissuing, but redoing DCD figures in Multiverse scale, style, engineering, and plastic. They need to fit seamlessly wIth the retail Multiverse line.

Return to Kingdom Come, Hush, Long Halloween/Dark Victory, Justice (pretty classic), and more. Expand into other district lines like DCeased, or better yet, Tales of the Dark Multiverse. Skip the C&C, charge $24.99 and go from there.

Best of both worlds IMHO
To the bolded, this is what I'm hoping for long-term as well. We already know Todd prefers to "make it sexy", so if he's provided with a chance to make classic Wally West or "sexy" Death Metal Wally West, we know he'll choose the sexy every time. But, Todd is also a businessman and he knows a lot of fans would want that classic Wally instead, so this gives him the opportunity to hit both factions.

Plus, DC Direct will have its own annual budget separate from DC Multiverse...both under McFarlane Toys, but different divisions...which means he can produce as many DCD "classic" figures as he wants and it won't take away from the Multiverse division. Now, there is the general issue of only having so many release windows in a year, but if Multiverse remained mass retail and DCD remained specialty shops and online, he really shouldn't cannibalize himself. It's all just more product on shelves somewhere for Todd.

That's my conjecture on it, IF he plans to release figures under that label. Good way to do the ones he wants while also satisfying fans of the more iconic looks.
Not for nothing, DCD’s greatest hits (IMHO):

Hard Traveling Heroes
Death/Reign of the Supermen
Kingdom Come
Hush
DKR
Justice
Crisis
Elseworlds
Long Halloween/Dark Victory
Knightfall
New Frontier
Year 2 Robin
I *heart* Wal*Mart

Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:01 am

Xavion2004 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:24 pm
I got excited when I saw the subject line, but that excitement quickly faded when I saw that McFarlane was behind it. I WANT to buy McFarlane DC toys. I really do. They’re great looking figures. He just has to make something I’m interested in first, and I’m not THAT hard to please.

All I want is some mainstream DCU characters. Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, New 52, Rebirth, Contemporary….I don’t care. Just something other than alternate versions of the same handful of characters over and over and over again. I mean, nearly two years in, and we don’t even have a freaking comic accurate non-alternate universe/reality Kara Supergirl…or ANY Kara Supergirl for that matter? Hawkman? Green Arrow? C’mon, man…I’m not asking for a Ditko Shade the Changing Man or a Golden Age Ma Hunkle Red Tornado here.
That's EXACTLY how i feel, too. :geek:
Ninjak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:00 am

As long as Todd's DC Multiverse line continues unabated as is I'm fine with DCD making a comeback. However if DCD somehow replaces Multiverse I will not be a happy camper at all.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:12 am

To some degree, DCD and Mattel were always at cross purposes. Todd now has the opportunity to have the the DCD line and the Multiverse line compliment each other. It could be epic.
jaygarrick1940
Super Poseable

Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:30 am

I think it's great if McFarlane Toys starts making statues, busts, props, etc. I don't collect these items but I'm sure there are plenty of people who do. If they start making action figures I hope they are different from the Multiverse figures. They are starting the Retro line with Batman '66. This may be the only figures in this line or they may expand into other live action figures. The Multiverse figures are great figures but not everyone likes this line. Maybe they can expand on the character selection under DCD or make the figures 6 - 6.5" with the same articulation as the Multiverse figures but with more accessories or alternate heads included.
Mister Skeezler
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:35 pm

If McFarlane has the DCD product as truly direct to comic and specialty shops, that would open up more classic options without the risk of general release, so I could see a great opportunity here. But honestly this just might be statues, busts and props so I'm going to temper my expectations until we get more info.

misterskeezler on Instagram

Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII

Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:31 pm

Something else to consider:

Whatever Todd does here, it doesn’t necessarily have to fit on retail shelf space. Packaging can be whatever it needs to be. And if Todd maybe wants to throw in with Mafex, Mezco, and the rest for something high end, this is where he can do it.
blackcomicnerd
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:05 pm

I see this as releasing figures that were due to come out late last year but were canceled such as the remaining DCeased Essentials, the Justice League Essentials pack, and the remaining BTAS stuff. I can see statutes and props as well. I don't see this as a way of bringing back Icons, Essentials, or a any other sister line. That would be in direct competition to his Multiverse line.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Fly4v
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:41 pm

Xavion2004 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:24 pm
I got excited when I saw the subject line, but that excitement quickly faded when I saw that McFarlane was behind it. I WANT to buy McFarlane DC toys. I really do. They’re great looking figures. He just has to make something I’m interested in first, and I’m not THAT hard to please.

All I want is some mainstream DCU characters. Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age, New 52, Rebirth, Contemporary….I don’t care. Just something other than alternate versions of the same handful of characters over and over and over again. I mean, nearly two years in, and we don’t even have a freaking comic accurate non-alternate universe/reality Kara Supergirl…or ANY Kara Supergirl for that matter? Hawkman? Green Arrow? C’mon, man…I’m not asking for a Ditko Shade the Changing Man or a Golden Age Ma Hunkle Red Tornado here.
I completely agree with wanting mainstream charters in in the McFarlane line and especially any Supergirl, Helen Slater, Laura Vandervoort???.

We did get a CW Green Arrow. Despite it flaws, still love the figure... so much that I figured out how to make a John Diggle Green Arrow using the John Stewart figure. Kind of fitting since so many fans wanted David Ramsey to be the Green Lantern.

Either way, I doubt that they will go back and revisit the DC CW universe unless every other iteration is made first.

Sad to have to possibly wait so long for a good Melissa Benoist Supergirl but that would mean there is hope for a Lewis Wilson Batman. :lol:
Chooch
IT'S CLOBBERIN TIME!

Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:14 pm

Maybe these'll be sold through his new online store.
ditko
Thread Killer

Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:09 am

Ninjak wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:00 am
As long as Todd's DC Multiverse line continues unabated as is I'm fine with DCD making a comeback. However if DCD somehow replaces Multiverse I will not be a happy camper at all.
Same. The success of Multiverse is what made this possible though so I think we're good. He said DOZENS of figures to come - this all seems very very positive to me :D

Mister Skeezler wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:35 pm
If McFarlane has the DCD product as truly direct to comic and specialty shops, that would open up more classic options without the risk of general release, so I could see a great opportunity here. But honestly this just might be statues, busts and props so I'm going to temper my expectations until we get more info.

misterskeezler on Instagram
Kinda the same. I like Tommy's idea of synergizing the brand so to speak, but no idea what that could be. I still think a Kingdom Come or Hush line would do very well at retail. But maybe DC doesn't want older looks in retail so it slots at comic shops? Could we get Jack Kirby figures or something? Whatever it is, I know there's gonna be something to be excited for.
kboe1313
Super Poseable

Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:34 pm

Bbts just restocked a bunch of DC Direct stuff. https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?T ... ageSize=50 Were the prices for the essentials and animated figures always this high?
jimbles
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!

Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:17 am

Essentials, yes. The MSRP was bumped by DCC at the tail end. Animated stuff, no, not that I recall at those prices.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”