McFarlane DC Multiverse The Batman movie wave

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 4041
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse The Batman movie wave

Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:32 pm

maverick10126 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:00 pm
The problem is this thread has derailed into talking about a movie that none of us have seen rather than the figures itself.

There is no source material to talk about anymore than if we were discussing a book based purely on the cover.

Movie discussion and speculation should be confined to the movie threads. At least at this juncture. Once the movie comes out the discussion will bleed over a bit into talking about the movie...but it should be related to the figures.

Like in The Suicide Squad thread, discussion about how the figures don't quite line up with their appearances in the movie...or wishing this character came with this accessory, or making a wish list for wave 2 based on seeing the movie is all relevant TOY discussion in the TOY thread. What we don't get into over there is talking about our likes/dislikes of the plot etc. That's for the MOVIE section. It's irrelevant to the topic at hand. That's why there is a whole other thread for that kind of discussion.

It was the same thing when Tommy started talking about plot lines from Infinite Frontier. It was moved to the comic section.

No one is saying you can't talk about the trailer. No one is saying you can't hate on the look of the film. No one is saying you can't praise your love of the film. It's not about agreeing with the people who like or dislike. It's just annoying to come into a toy thread that's been derailed that doesn't care to talk about toys and is just filled with posts that are baiting others to get into arguments.

And Kenobi....didn't you already pull this same kind of off-topic posting argument baiting in other threads outside of the DC threads? In a line you don't collect nonetheless? And it was met with a similar reaction. I just don't get what you're getting out it at this point. You don't like it, fine. You don't like the designs, fine. You're not going to magically change people's minds who are interested in this take into now hating it and agreeing with you.
You’re right of course, we’re talking about a movie none of us have seen four and a half months away. But I still think people have the right to talk design if nothing else. Yeah there’s a lot of complaining, it’s just what we do. Honestly, I doubt I see it until it hits HBO Max.

Comics are a little different at this point. Patterns are emerging after two years. With Metal/Death Metal, it was speculation. If the Endless Winter rumors are true, and I’ve no reason to believe its not, it’s a pattern. Todd is following DC events. Which leads us to Infinite Frontier, either the mini series or the publishing initiative. Both are entirely valid. The mini is filled with the types of characters I’d love to be able to purchase. And not Bat heavy. FanDome announced a Wonder Woman event for next year including all of the prominent Amazons. I’d bet the mortgage on that being a wave.

The reason comics matter is that it informs character selection on 50%+ of this entire line.

DKR is more important than we realize. It opens up Pandora’s Nostalgic Box. Kingdom Come, Reign of the Supermen, Knightfall and many more pre New 52 stories are now in play. “Classic” may be coming after all.
User avatar
TheRealSmallville
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:52 pm

McFarlane DC Multiverse The Batman movie wave

Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:57 pm

This post will be about both the figures & the movie (designs), so I hope that's ok.

First up, the figures look good. Movie designs are hard to nail down in figure form because they're usually based on concept art, so in this case of Riddler here that may explain the small differences such as how the question mark is placed. But all in all, I think they match up to the movie quite well.

As far as whether these designs or the movie designs are "good" or "crap", those are entirely subjective opinions so nobody is wrong or right with them. Reeves says they were going for "real-world" in the aesthetics, which is how you reach these designs...in the Nolan films, Batman had an R&D tech wizard who provided him a state of the art suit to wear that was intended for soldiers until it became too expensive for the government to produce them. In this film, it remains to be seen if Bruce has a Fox-type ally but based on the trailers it would appear that Bruce and Alfred are on their own. Until the movie tells me otherwise, I am going to assume that the suit and car is the best they can do with what they have to work with...if you notice, they don't even have a Batcave yet (it appears to be an abandoned Wayne subway terminal or something similar). I can buy all of the materials right now to make my own 1989 bat suit, but I don't know Jack shit about molding latex or making functional outfits...it's possible that Bruce and Alfred are learning how to sew on the fly here lol

As for the Batmobile, it reminds me very much of this version from the mid 90's, right around the time of Contagion:

Image

this one has more bat elements, but the movie car is similar and is 100% comic inspired (even if some refuse to believe it). It's certainly not my preferred design for the Batmobile, but it's more Comic-inspired than the Tumbler was (which I did enjoy very much).

One guy said the movie car looked like a piece of crap that can't take damage...meanwhile the trailer shows it as being exactly the opposite. You can't please everyone, though.

I'd love to see Todd tackle a whole fleet of Batmobile someday. I'm a sucker & would purchase every one.
maverick10126
Have You Heard About Todd's DC Line?
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 4638
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:18 pm

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse The Batman movie wave

Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:16 pm

Talking about comics as it relates to what figures are coming makes perfect sense in this part of the thread. But your post about the comics was moved because it was idle speculation about the plot in the comics and which direction the comics might go to next. Basically, it was completely off topic because it was just a review of the comics and not about figures.

The discussion about the movie is steering into that territory. It's turned into a debate of which movies are "good" and which are "bad" based design choices. The design choices of the figures are just recreations of the stuff from the movie. That's what this thread should be about. As far as figures go, these seem to be pretty good figures based on how accurate they are.

There's a difference between "I'm not getting these figures because I don't like the look/design of this movie" and "This movie is stupid because X Y and Z in the trailer."

This Batmobile has grown on me quite a bit. It's not my favorite, but it's fun to get back to a Batmobile that's a car again. We haven't had a car batmobile since '66 really. The Burton/Schumacher "cars" were just their own beast imo. The Nolan and Snyder stuff were just different versions of "tanks."

This one actually reminds me of the Batmobile from Batman and the Monster Men with how it's presented (not looks). Batman just built up a beefy car. Then of course Alfred makes a joke about putting some sort of Bat-fins on it and Batman pauses and Alfred says something like "wait you aren't actually considering fins??" The Reeves Batmobile feels like a proto Batmobile before he adds more of a bat look to it.

I guess I'm saying....yeah, I'd be down for a Reeves Batmobile even if I end up hating the movie.
User avatar
Magnuz
Tyrant
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 14362
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:04 am

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse The Batman movie wave

Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:41 pm

I definitely want the batmobile, if he can put out the batmobeast, he can do this batmobile.
User avatar
K_Steel
Prognostibator
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:31 pm

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse The Batman movie wave

Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:06 pm

At the very least, a BatPattinson figure is a must to own.

Whether the film appeals to you personally or not, it's gonna be a mainstream hit. So this Batman iteration will have it's place in history.

As far as Catwoman, Penguin, Drifter Bruce and Se7en Riddler, consider them money saved if you're a casual fan, like myself.

If you're a hardcore obsessed fan of the Reeves film (and the obsessive fanboys are inevitable) you'll probably get everything released. Just be aware unmasked variants are also coming.
Ro-El
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Unknown Helper
Posts: 4127
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse The Batman movie wave

Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:20 pm

Ugh. Still wish unmasked heads are included with regular figures. I might be more enticed to get everything if that were so.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 4041
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse The Batman movie wave

Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:37 pm

Not for nothing, but this movie is said to launch an interlocking series of movies and TV shows spread out over HBO, HBO Max, and theatrical release over the next several years. If you’re inclined to “universe build”, you may wanna grab these up.
joshsquash729
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 915
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:40 am

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse The Batman movie wave

Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:47 pm

I was kinda hoping the Riddler figure would come with a role of duct tape, like the statue is. Anyone know of any in-scale duct tape rolls, whether rolled or partially unrolled? Odd question, I know, but I've been seeing more and more tiny accessories, like boxes of cereal, soup cans, etc.
User avatar
Shinigami_PL
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Poland
Posts: 6899
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse The Batman movie wave

Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:58 pm

joshsquash729 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:47 pm
I was kinda hoping the Riddler figure would come with a role of duct tape, like the statue is. Anyone know of any in-scale duct tape rolls, whether rolled or partially unrolled? Odd question, I know, but I've been seeing more and more tiny accessories, like boxes of cereal, soup cans, etc.
I've seen a bunch of real life accessories for 1/10 scale cars on aliexpress, I've bought some (torture) tools myself. Maybe they have tapes as well.
MCUCompletionist
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 341
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:55 pm

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse The Batman movie wave

Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:03 pm

If I can come up with easy mods to make these more accurate ill buy them up.

Batman just needs a holster, Catwomans mask is innacuate but the unmasked version might be for me, and Riddler probably just needs a bit of paint. Plus the Penguin on the back of the box looks great from what we can see.

These are infinitely more appealing to me design wise than just having comic figures on the shelf. I'm just more of a movie design guy. I love comics, but I love adaptions and redesigns even more.

Add me in also for AbSolutely wanting Mcfarlane to do this Batmobile, and FYI it does include slight Bat-Motifs you can see in the stills and first trailer this Batmobile does have fins
Kenobi
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 300
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:18 am

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse The Batman movie wave

Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:50 pm

maverick10126 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:00 pm
The problem is this thread has derailed into talking about a movie that none of us have seen rather than the figures itself.

There is no source material to talk about anymore than if we were discussing a book based purely on the cover.

Movie discussion and speculation should be confined to the movie threads. At least at this juncture. Once the movie comes out the discussion will bleed over a bit into talking about the movie...but it should be related to the figures.

Like in The Suicide Squad thread, discussion about how the figures don't quite line up with their appearances in the movie...or wishing this character came with this accessory, or making a wish list for wave 2 based on seeing the movie is all relevant TOY discussion in the TOY thread. What we don't get into over there is talking about our likes/dislikes of the plot etc. That's for the MOVIE section. It's irrelevant to the topic at hand. That's why there is a whole other thread for that kind of discussion.

It was the same thing when Tommy started talking about plot lines from Infinite Frontier. It was moved to the comic section.

No one is saying you can't talk about the trailer. No one is saying you can't hate on the look of the film. No one is saying you can't praise your love of the film. It's not about agreeing with the people who like or dislike. It's just annoying to come into a toy thread that's been derailed that doesn't care to talk about toys and is just filled with posts that are baiting others to get into arguments.

And Kenobi....didn't you already pull this same kind of off-topic posting argument baiting in other threads outside of the DC threads? In a line you don't collect nonetheless? And it was met with a similar reaction. I just don't get what you're getting out it at this point. You don't like it, fine. You don't like the designs, fine. You're not going to magically change people's minds who are interested in this take into now hating it and agreeing with you.
lol you are joking right? Did you bump your head?

What baiting did I do in this thread? Or before? I wasn’t even the first to talk about the movie!

What line don’t I collect? What are you even trying to say?

I’m not trying to change anyone’s mind lol. Try reading the posts. I said what you said already, I don’t care if you like it. You missed that huh? Probably missed the name calling goo huh? Have you seen the replies to me? Literal paragraphs trying to change my mind!

And you have the audacity to only call me out :lol:

I get it now. No critical thinking allowed, no criticism allowed, because y’all can’t handle a differing opinion :lol:

It’s all about mindless consumption here everything is great nothing is bad.
User avatar
TheRealSmallville
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:52 pm

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse The Batman movie wave

Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:11 pm

Kenobi wrote:
maverick10126 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:00 pm
The problem is this thread has derailed into talking about a movie that none of us have seen rather than the figures itself.

There is no source material to talk about anymore than if we were discussing a book based purely on the cover.

Movie discussion and speculation should be confined to the movie threads. At least at this juncture. Once the movie comes out the discussion will bleed over a bit into talking about the movie...but it should be related to the figures.

Like in The Suicide Squad thread, discussion about how the figures don't quite line up with their appearances in the movie...or wishing this character came with this accessory, or making a wish list for wave 2 based on seeing the movie is all relevant TOY discussion in the TOY thread. What we don't get into over there is talking about our likes/dislikes of the plot etc. That's for the MOVIE section. It's irrelevant to the topic at hand. That's why there is a whole other thread for that kind of discussion.

It was the same thing when Tommy started talking about plot lines from Infinite Frontier. It was moved to the comic section.

No one is saying you can't talk about the trailer. No one is saying you can't hate on the look of the film. No one is saying you can't praise your love of the film. It's not about agreeing with the people who like or dislike. It's just annoying to come into a toy thread that's been derailed that doesn't care to talk about toys and is just filled with posts that are baiting others to get into arguments.

And Kenobi....didn't you already pull this same kind of off-topic posting argument baiting in other threads outside of the DC threads? In a line you don't collect nonetheless? And it was met with a similar reaction. I just don't get what you're getting out it at this point. You don't like it, fine. You don't like the designs, fine. You're not going to magically change people's minds who are interested in this take into now hating it and agreeing with you.
lol you are joking right? Did you bump your head?

What baiting did I do in this thread? Or before? I wasn’t even the first to talk about the movie!

What line don’t I collect? What are you even trying to say?

I’m not trying to change anyone’s mind lol. Try reading the posts. I said what you said already, I don’t care if you like it. You missed that huh? Probably missed the name calling goo huh? Have you seen the replies to me? Literal paragraphs trying to change my mind!

And you have the audacity to only call me out :lol:

I get it now. No critical thinking allowed, no criticism allowed, because y’all can’t handle a differing opinion :lol:

It’s all about mindless consumption here everything is great nothing is bad.
You also break out the name calling every so often in other threads, so don't play it like you were attacked here, man. You even accused me the other day of "rubbing purchases in peoples' faces." Every time someone asks you to dial it back, you come out with this victim routine. "You're so mean! I guess you don't allow other opinions! I'm being oppressed! Arrgh!"

It's old, and dare I say, not very Jedi-like. Go outside, get some air.
User avatar
Ultramane
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Central AR
Posts: 844
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:16 am

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse The Batman movie wave

Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:19 pm

remember: it's extremely easy to block and ignore the cRiTiCaL tHiNkErS and let them shit up threads to an audience of nobody
User avatar
TheRealSmallville
Avengers Assemble
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:52 pm

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse The Batman movie wave

Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:57 pm

Ultramane wrote:remember: it's extremely easy to block and ignore the cRiTiCaL tHiNkErS and let them shit up threads to an audience of nobody
I have enjoyed many posts from Kenobi, so I'd hate to have to utilize the block function myself Image It just seems like lately there's been a bit of lashing out occurring.

I think it all started with Todd slapping him in the face, and it snowballed from there. Not sure though.
Kenobi
Runs Around in Tights
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 300
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:18 am

Re: McFarlane DC Multiverse The Batman movie wave

Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:06 pm

TheRealSmallville wrote:
Ultramane wrote:remember: it's extremely easy to block and ignore the cRiTiCaL tHiNkErS and let them shit up threads to an audience of nobody
I have enjoyed many posts from Kenobi, so I'd hate to have to utilize the block function myself Image It just seems like lately there's been a bit of lashing out occurring.

I think it all started with Todd slapping him in the face, and it snowballed from there. Not sure though.
TheRealSmallville wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:11 pm
Kenobi wrote:
maverick10126 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:00 pm
The problem is this thread has derailed into talking about a movie that none of us have seen rather than the figures itself.

There is no source material to talk about anymore than if we were discussing a book based purely on the cover.

Movie discussion and speculation should be confined to the movie threads. At least at this juncture. Once the movie comes out the discussion will bleed over a bit into talking about the movie...but it should be related to the figures.

Like in The Suicide Squad thread, discussion about how the figures don't quite line up with their appearances in the movie...or wishing this character came with this accessory, or making a wish list for wave 2 based on seeing the movie is all relevant TOY discussion in the TOY thread. What we don't get into over there is talking about our likes/dislikes of the plot etc. That's for the MOVIE section. It's irrelevant to the topic at hand. That's why there is a whole other thread for that kind of discussion.

It was the same thing when Tommy started talking about plot lines from Infinite Frontier. It was moved to the comic section.

No one is saying you can't talk about the trailer. No one is saying you can't hate on the look of the film. No one is saying you can't praise your love of the film. It's not about agreeing with the people who like or dislike. It's just annoying to come into a toy thread that's been derailed that doesn't care to talk about toys and is just filled with posts that are baiting others to get into arguments.

And Kenobi....didn't you already pull this same kind of off-topic posting argument baiting in other threads outside of the DC threads? In a line you don't collect nonetheless? And it was met with a similar reaction. I just don't get what you're getting out it at this point. You don't like it, fine. You don't like the designs, fine. You're not going to magically change people's minds who are interested in this take into now hating it and agreeing with you.
lol you are joking right? Did you bump your head?

What baiting did I do in this thread? Or before? I wasn’t even the first to talk about the movie!

What line don’t I collect? What are you even trying to say?

I’m not trying to change anyone’s mind lol. Try reading the posts. I said what you said already, I don’t care if you like it. You missed that huh? Probably missed the name calling goo huh? Have you seen the replies to me? Literal paragraphs trying to change my mind!

And you have the audacity to only call me out :lol:

I get it now. No critical thinking allowed, no criticism allowed, because y’all can’t handle a differing opinion :lol:

It’s all about mindless consumption here everything is great nothing is bad.
You also break out the name calling every so often in other threads, so don't play it like you were attacked here, man. You even accused me the other day of "rubbing purchases in peoples' faces." Every time someone asks you to dial it back, you come out with this victim routine. "You're so mean! I guess you don't allow other opinions! I'm being oppressed! Arrgh!"

It's old, and dare I say, not very Jedi-like. Go outside, get some air.
I give it back if people wanna be assholes towards me like you are right now. I have no issue giving it back. I’m not gonna come out and call someone idiotic or dumb for liking/hating something unprovoked like the vast majority here do.

And lol at blocking people. Can really tell who the snowflakes are.

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”