Do you think Mattel will get the DC license back?

NO EVIL SHALL ESCAPE MY SITE! - DC Club Infinite Earths, DC Unlimited, DC Collectibles and all the rest! Come in and talk about them.
User avatar
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 10100
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:50 pm

Re: Do you think Mattel will get the DC license back?

Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:56 pm

Dr. Langstrom wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:03 pm
This entire thread is a mute point.
Just FYI, brother: https://www.dictionary.com/e/moot-point-vs-mute-point/
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 5941
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: Do you think Mattel will get the DC license back?

Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:35 pm

In regards to Mattel, I do (still) miss the scale. Sorry. I miss the team building, the world building, and the (somewhat) wider variety.

But not enough to ever want Mattel anywhere near the DC license again. Todd made my most wanted figure in the last ten years. And not out of repurposed parts. Frankenstein is almost a work of art.

Mattel was a nightmare. Bad distribution, no innovation, constant cost cutting, and generally treating what should have been their personal cash register as an afterthought. Compounded be an egocentric pathological narcissist named Scott Neitlich as the brand ambassador.

I wasn’t onboard with Todd at first, now he’s got my full support. At least as far as the DC stuff goes.
User avatar
Ninjak
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
Contact:
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 4797
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: Do you think Mattel will get the DC license back?

Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:19 pm

I don't really get the argument that "I liked Mattel's figures better than McFarlane's, so I wish they could get the DC license back".

If you liked the Mattel DC figures so much, then you already have a nearly complete 6-inch scale DC figure collection from them, and you should be pretty happy with that. So what would be the point of giving the license back to Mattel? They made nearly every character from the DC Universe already (from the Metal Men, to Kamandi, to B'Wana Beast and beyond). So unless they were going vastly improve their figures (which they never really did in all the years they had the license) it would be pointless for them to continue anyway. As there wasn't much ground left for them to cover.

Meanwhile, some of us genuinely love what McFarlane is doing with DC, so our opinion counts just as much as the people who are hung up on the old DCUC line. But I wouldn't resort to calling fans of the Mattel figures names, or insulting their taste or intelligence. Each to his own. I personally sold off all of my old DCUC collection and have been replacing it with the McFarlane figures. I love the sculpting and articulation, and I don't mind the occasional wonky proportions. After all, most of these figures are based on comic book art, which doesn't exactly adhere to perfect human anatomy 100% of the time.

I find it to be a really fun line with good quality and a lot of variety in design and implementation. A far cry from Mattel's assembly line approach to producing action figures.

I personally hope that McFarlane retains the DC license for many many more years to come. But that's just my opinion.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 5941
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: Do you think Mattel will get the DC license back?

Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:38 pm

I hope Todd keeps the line for at least ten years.
User avatar
DetectiveHoag
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 4160
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:55 pm

Re: Do you think Mattel will get the DC license back?

Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:04 pm

Ninjak wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:19 pm
I don't really get the argument that "I liked Mattel's figures better than McFarlane's, so I wish they could get the DC license back".

If you liked the Mattel DC figures so much, then you already have a nearly complete 6-inch scale DC figure collection from them,
. Not hardly. There were so very many characters left unmade.
They made nearly every character from the DC Universe already (from the Metal Men, to Kamandi, to B'Wana Beast and beyond).
There are very literally, thousands of characters that never got made, and that’s not even touching the non-costumed characters. We could fill pages with them.
. As there wasn't much ground left for them to cover.
. Again, that is vastly inaccurate. Before making such statements, You ought to research a bit.

Meanwhile, some of us genuinely love what McFarlane is doing with DC, so our opinion counts just as much as the people who are hung up on the old DCUC line. But I wouldn't resort to calling fans of the Mattel figures names, or insulting their taste or intelligence. Each to his own. I personally sold off all of my old DCUC collection and have been replacing it with the McFarlane figures. I love the sculpting and articulation, and I don't mind the occasional wonky proportions. After all, most of these figures are based on comic book art, which doesn't exactly adhere to perfect human anatomy 100% of the time.

I find it to be a really fun line with good quality and a lot of variety in design and implementation. A far cry from Mattel's assembly line approach to producing action figures.

I personally hope that McFarlane retains the DC license for many many more years to come. But that's just my opinion.
McFarlane’s line certainly has its pluses, but it hasn’t approached the depth Mattel’s line started with. I still have my Mattel line, despite it’s shortcomings. I enjoy it, as you enjoy McFarlane’s line. It’s a matter of personal taste.
Dr. Langstrom
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:14 pm

Re: Do you think Mattel will get the DC license back?

Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:16 pm

AdrienVeidt wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:56 pm
Dr. Langstrom wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:03 pm
This entire thread is a mute point.
Just FYI, brother: https://www.dictionary.com/e/moot-point-vs-mute-point/
Oh Fer f*cks sake...
Scuse me Fer makin a spelling mistake at 6 in da mourning...
But thank you for letting me knew that u knew how to make a deal out nuttin
dR. Langstrom eke Man-Bat
User avatar
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 10100
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:50 pm

Re: Do you think Mattel will get the DC license back?

Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:33 pm

'Just FYI, brother' = 'making a deal out nuttin'.

Okay, then. You have a very nice day taking offense at trivial acts of kindness, mate.
Dr. Langstrom
Everloving Blue Eyed Thing
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:14 pm

Re: Do you think Mattel will get the DC license back?

Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:53 pm

AdrienVeidt wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:33 pm
'Just FYI, brother' = 'making a deal out nuttin'.

Okay, then. You have a very nice day taking offense at trivial acts of kindness, mate.
I was joking my friend, hence the exaggerated grammatical and spelling errors 🤣
Sorry, I think I'm hysterical, my wife keeps telling me I am not.....
Please, no offense meant. I'm here to talk about my 55 year fascination with everything DC COMICS, and all of our wonderful toys....
There's far too much real world worries to get upset on a fun action figure forum...
Dr.Langstrom aka Man-Bat
User avatar
AdrienVeidt
A Smaller Man of a Smaller Scale
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 10100
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:50 pm

Re: Do you think Mattel will get the DC license back?

Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:21 pm

A'ight, brother; it's cool. FYI, you gotta use the sArCaSm FoNt wHeN tAlKiNg ShIt oN tHe InTeRnEt. The Spongebob out front shoulda told ya.
User avatar
PantherCult
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 12159
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:12 pm

Re: Do you think Mattel will get the DC license back?

Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:32 pm

Ninjak wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:19 pm
I don't really get the argument that "I liked Mattel's figures better than McFarlane's, so I wish they could get the DC license back".

If you liked the Mattel DC figures so much, then you already have a nearly complete 6-inch scale DC figure collection from them, and you should be pretty happy with that. So what would be the point of giving the license back to Mattel?
See, for me it's not really even that I want Mattel to have the license back it's that I want new DC figures that scale with the DC figures I have. And Todd is making all kinds of new, different characters and different costumes and updated looks that I wouldn't mind having in my collection - but not that are an inch taller than everything else in my collection. I'd be perfectly happy with most of what Todd's doing if he were doing it at the same size as my DCUC collection. As you say - I have most of the DC Universe in their basic looks already - so the fact that Todd stays away from basic looks a lot of the time would actually complement that existing collection if they were at all compatible size wise. It's not that I miss Mattel, it's that I miss having my DC Characters in one uniform scale. (I mean, I also have issues with Todd's wonky, super long-legged proportions on a bunch of his figures, but that's a different discussion)
User avatar
TheRealSmallville
CROM!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 891
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:52 pm

Do you think Mattel will get the DC license back?

Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:13 pm

Penguin wrote:
TheRealSmallville wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:02 pm
Penguin wrote:Dcuc is far better than the crap toddy boy puts out. Sure dcuc had problems and reuse, its also much older and was new territory for an ignorant company like mattel. Midfarlane knows what people want, they literally tell him every day on social media and he actively and knowingly doesn't care and makes what he thinks "looks cool." The problem with that logic is he's an idiot with bad taste, so you get constant batman variants nobody wants to buy and other random garbage from comic lines maybe 500 people read and barely care about.
His figures are plagued with constant issues regardless of the shilling i see done by fanboys who only bring up 3 constant circular nonsensical arguments. Detail, new molds, cheaper than hasbro. These arguments are idiotic when you break them down logically. Detail is great if its done right and looks like the source material, this is often not the case with mids. Most times he does what he wants and makes abominations like that new bane mega that I'm constantly seeing people cut the straps off on Facebook because they're stupid. You're paying $40 for an overly large inaccurate figure with no paint, no bicep cuts, no extra hands, no accessories and isn't comic accurate.
New molds are great, most people like a new mold, except when Todd does it. Almost every figure he makes is a headscratcher and looks bad if you know anything about body proportions. His figures don't even scale with themselves. How many lanky armed, lanky legged, dad bod, chest diaper, waist diaper figures have to be released before the tired slogan of how he's improving, dies out. I'm not seeing this issue with his doom guys or spawn figures, so what's going on with his dc sculptors and why are they still employeed at this point when they can't even do basic tasks like make functional elbow articulation that doesn't look atrocious when articulatd? The answer is, he does not care.
Then we come to the best one, the ol "throw hasblow into the argument," because we can't keep them out are mouth when talking about mids. Everyone knows hasbros problems, they're a mega corp focused on maximizing profits and cutting costs. They have terrible business practices and politics, this isn't a secret, but until they start making dc figures, its pointless to bring them into an argument when trying to defend your beloved Todd. You all do it because you can't defend the products on their own merit, so you have to try and find a similar product on the market and target their known shortcomings to try and build a defense for a crappy toy. I would take hasblows large back catalogue of figures any day of the week if they were dc figures and not marvel. I would take constant reuse over new molds if those molds actually looked accurate to the source material and not wonky goofy looking figures wearing diapers, with giant or tiny heads and painted red arms that have sleeves to double dip on a robin. I would take multiple female figures people actually want to buy over Todd's once in a while batgirl here or bad wonder woman variant there, but until the day that hasbro starts making dc figures, I don't give two sh*ts about them.
No one with a brain is believing his bs about classic wonder woman and how he can't make her but can make 12 other bad wonder woman variants nobody cares about. Hes asked about female figures by shard and goes into this long rant about how he can't sell a line of female figures, show me receipts Todd where literally anyone asked you to make a wave of females. Hes a bs artist, clear as day and FYI, dc doesn't and hasn't cared about guns in their products for a long while now, so anyone still believing todds bs about the no gun rule needs to get their head examined. Many dc products have come out in the last two years that feature guns. But Todd knows and I know that its cheaper for him to not include them and he can double dip on a weapons pack while getting every fanboy to believe his bs because he's midfarlane.
Show us on the Bane Megafig where Todd touched you...

I think your argument has a couple good points (too many Batmans, lack of classic WW) and a couple false points (Metal/Death Metal were very popular stories read by a lot more than 500 people, and the only Batman figures that don't sell around me is the Future State version...Batman sells).

Ultimately, I think what kills your post & will ensure that not many engage with it is your use of insults & name calling to explain your point...calling McFarlane an idiot because you don't like his work is a bit uncalled for, and using "MidFarlane" like a child would denotes a lack of communication skills. You may as well just say "Todd's a doody-head & his toys stink", as it has about the same worth as calling them "MidFarlane". Just my 2 cents.

DCUC was cool for it's time, but that time has passed. McFarlane is making figures that compete more with NECA (not in characters but in designs & quality) than Hasbro, and at a $20 price point. Unique molds, little reuse so far, and I appreciate that not every figure is simply a naked buck with the costume painted on. Every Superman figure has had a raised S, for example. Every Batman I own has actual gauntlets, boots, and emblem. Very little is painted on, and I would stop collecting if Mattel got it back. No thanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would take anything you had to say seriously had you not went full twitter and accused Todd of touching me somewhere. Thats sick and you're a weirdo. I also do not care if mattel gets the license back, so long as its anyone but midfarlane
That was called sarcasm. I don't actually think Todd touched you (was...was that really necessary for me to explain?)

But you weren't going to engage honestly or appropriately with anything I said anyway, because very few people on this board can handle discourse that doesn't echo their own thoughts. Have fun with the thread, though Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Xavion2004
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Location: NE Florida - Away from the tourists and retirees
Posts: 4016
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:49 pm

Re: Do you think Mattel will get the DC license back?

Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:30 am

Why does one company have to have a monopoly on the license to make DC figures (or Marvel figures for that matter) in a certain style or scale anyway? It’s not like there would be a whole lot of overlap between McFarlane’s DC multiverse line and a more mainstream DC Universe line. Do companies want exclusive licenses because they’re afraid that someone else is going to do it better? I thought that was kind of the whole idea behind free enterprise. More competition means that everybody wins, including the toy companies who get to “share” the cost of holding a license instead of having to foot the entire bill themselves.
Tommy Tomorrow
Henry VIII
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 5941
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

Re: Do you think Mattel will get the DC license back?

Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:54 am

My guess is that it has to do with the big box retailers. Retail space is at a premium in most stores, so toy buyers would purchase more of whichever line sold better. The other would wither and die. Plus a big company could give better terms than a smaller company. Just ask old Georg Brewer how that worked out for DCD vs DCUC. Plus, two companies would probably make overlapping lineups filled with Batman and Superman. Gotta make what sells.
User avatar
Meauxses
Fwoosh!!!!!!!!
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:38 am

Re: Do you think Mattel will get the DC license back?

Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:13 am

Ninjak wrote:I don't really get the argument that "I liked Mattel's figures better than McFarlane's, so I wish they could get the DC license back".

If you liked the Mattel DC figures so much, then you already have a nearly complete 6-inch scale DC figure collection from them, and you should be pretty happy with that. So what would be the point of giving the license back to Mattel? They made nearly every character from the DC Universe already (from the Metal Men, to Kamandi, to B'Wana Beast and beyond). So unless they were going vastly improve their figures (which they never really did in all the years they had the license) it would be pointless for them to continue anyway. As there wasn't much ground left for them to cover.

Meanwhile, some of us genuinely love what McFarlane is doing with DC, so our opinion counts just as much as the people who are hung up on the old DCUC line. But I wouldn't resort to calling fans of the Mattel figures names, or insulting their taste or intelligence. Each to his own. I personally sold off all of my old DCUC collection and have been replacing it with the McFarlane figures. I love the sculpting and articulation, and I don't mind the occasional wonky proportions. After all, most of these figures are based on comic book art, which doesn't exactly adhere to perfect human anatomy 100% of the time.

I find it to be a really fun line with good quality and a lot of variety in design and implementation. A far cry from Mattel's assembly line approach to producing action figures.

I personally hope that McFarlane retains the DC license for many many more years to come. But that's just my opinion.
Well-said. It’s both/and, not either/or.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BWDK
I wish I had super powers
TheFwoosh.com rules: Yes
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:30 am

Re: Do you think Mattel will get the DC license back?

Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:38 am

The 7 inch inch scale is just not for me. How is this any different to what DC Direct has been been doing for 20 years?

Plus I really hate figures with toe articulation (just not necessary, looks ugly from a sculpting perspective, and it makes it harder for figures stand). What's next? Jaw, eyelid, nose wiggle or pinky articulation lol?

However, if McF keeps pumping out 5 inch Kenner scale merch, they can retain the license for as long as they want :) Would really love it if they would go back to the Burton/Schuhmacher movies for this scale and release vehicles and playsets...

I have to admit that McF was unbeatable in terms of value (e.g them charging $80 for a Batmobeast while Hasbro wants $360 for a smaller vehicle with some FX)... But instead of a Batmobeast they should have picked a Batman vehicle people actually want (Burton Batmobile says hello...).

Return to “The Watchtower: The Unofficial DC Toy Board”